It is quite possible that the slider becomes the coolest phone to own or it could be regarded as an answer to a question no longer asked. I am not sure that users of a device with a large screen also want a small PKB vs a VKB of the same size. It could be a revelation or it could be viewed as unnecessary.
    No! Not "this OR that". The point is "somewhere in between" is enough business for BlackBerry to have a sustainable device market. It's that perception that exists about BB10 itself. Somewhere between "if it doesn't have at least 5% market share" (relative not absolute) and "it has to sell 10 million units per year" (a figure that doesn't reflect per-device profitability) is an answer that can lead BlackBerry to a profitable handset business that includes further development of BB10..

NO winning scenarios for the BlackBerry handset division include "don't advertise at all" and "continue to allow investors and the tech community to insinuate bankruptcy is imminent". A dodgy middling result is "fail to ensure marketing messages reflect the core strengths of BlackBerry devices and OS" and "fail to target the correct advertising channels to reach the desired audience" and "be too conservative with the cash-on-hand in determination of marketing spend". There may be only one last chance at making the handset division (which Chen has said is strategic to BlackBerry's future) successful in and of itself, and I just hope they don't go about it too "timidly".
    09-22-15 01:44 PM
    This scenario will open the door to numerous Crackberry threads that begin with the exact same sentence, "I went to my neighborhood Verizon store yesterday and .... " followed by (1) the clerk didn't know anything about the Venice. (2) the battery in the display model was dead (3) I was told BlackBerry no longer makes phones (4) they discouraged me from buying the Venice and tried to sell me a "real" Android device, etc.. My point is, regardless of the level of excitement of the CrackBerry faithful and tech bloggers, American phone carriers are going to have a huge impact on whether the device is a success or failure. Based on my experience, I don't see Verizon T-Mobile, or AT&T being very helpful in selling any BlackBerry device no matter what OS is installed on it.

This view has nothing to do with my view of the Venice. I'm planning on giving it a chance when my contract is up in a couple of months.
    This is a very legitimate concern and it could definitely come to fruition. Hopefully word of mouth as well as the fact that the phone will have the default Google skin and Play store visible upon boot will help stem some of the carrier rep ignorance.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-22-15 02:27 PM
    The title would have been more prevalent when they hired Alicia Keys to be the spokesdude.
    Bbnivende and zyad like this.
    09-22-15 02:41 PM
    The thing is, a full touch Blackberry with android is the same as any other Android. There's nothing new or compleing to get a Blackberry in that case, unless you really want to give BB money or want a phone that says "Blackberry" on it.
    All the major android device manufacturers are scrambling to constantly come up with something that will differentiate themselves from the pack. Have you noticed that not one of them released a high end PKB or slider device?? I've seen a few REALLY cheap PKB android devices here and there. Wonder why?? Because PKB/slider markets are a niche market and those manufacturers see that the profit to investment ratio does not exist.
    So what makes anyone think that just because a company that many never heard of or that most people thought were out of business (BlackBerry) releases an android device, a slider of all things, that it's going to be a huge hit?
    09-23-15 10:30 AM
    All the major android device manufacturers are scrambling to constantly come up with something that will differentiate themselves from the pack. Have you noticed that not one of them released a high end PKB or slider device?? I've seen a few REALLY cheap PKB android devices here and there. Wonder why?? Because PKB/slider markets are a niche market and those manufacturers see that the profit to investment ratio does not exist.
    So what makes anyone think that just because a company that many never heard of or that most people thought were out of business (BlackBerry) releases an android device, a slider of all things, that it's going to be a huge hit?
    Don't forget that BlackBerry has so many patents in the area of keyboards, that it would be difficult for others to make one that would be any good.

BlackBerry just needs to carve out an acceptable slice of the market - they don't need to be all things to all people by being a "huge hit".

What we know for sure is that BB10 is a massive financial failure, and pumping out another Android slab would be pointless.

I still say that the buzz on the non-Blackberry sites is huge and unprecedented.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-23-15 10:40 AM
    Don't forget that BlackBerry has so many patents in the area of keyboards, that it would be difficult for others to make one that would be any good.

BlackBerry just needs to carve out an acceptable slice of the market - they don't need to be all things to all people by being a "huge hit".

What we know for sure is that BB10 is a massive financial failure, and pumping out another Android slab would be pointless.

I still say that the buzz on the non-Blackberry sites is huge and unprecedented.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Here: BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - BlackBerry Needs Software Growth: Morgan Stanley | Benzinga
    Read the last sentence and you all need to get a grip on reality.
    09-23-15 11:01 AM
    Here: BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - BlackBerry Needs Software Growth: Morgan Stanley | Benzinga
    Read the last sentence and you all need to get a grip on reality.
    He may be right.

Or the dozens of blogger and Android sites that I've read that are super excited about the device and are ready to lay their money down right now may be right too.

I can't predict the future, but I see no reasonable alternative strategy for the device business.

BTW, enough with the inflammatory "get a grip" stuff. This is not personal.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 09-23-15 at 11:27 AM.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-23-15 11:12 AM
    I have been using Android since Verizon got the Original Droid (which I still have on my desk).

And I can't wait to buy the Venice.

So maybe because there are people like me, we think, maybe there are other people like us?

Just because OEMs are not doing it doesn't mean people don't want it.

Apple refused to go bigger on the iPhone. But people wanted bigger screens. And what do you know... When they finally produced a 5.5 inch screen it became their best seller ever.

People want removable batteries and SD Card slots. But OEMs are removing those features.

Just because they are or are not making something, doesn't necessarily mean that that accurately reflects what people want.

I want a physical keyboard.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    anon4226395 likes this.
    09-23-15 11:32 AM
    Couldn't resist to musicalize the title of this thread with "Girl on fire" by Alicia Keys...

Wide vision, from Chile.
    09-23-15 01:30 PM
    Couldn't resist to musicalize the title of this thread with "Girl on fire" by Alicia Keys...

Wide vision, from Chile.
    No pun was intended

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 01:53 PM
    He may be right.

Or the dozens of blogger and Android sites that I've read that are super excited about the device and are ready to lay their money down right now may be right too.

I can't predict the future, but I see no reasonable alternative strategy for the device business.

BTW, enough with the inflammatory "get a grip" stuff. This is not personal.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    I think Morgan Stanley has pretty good knowledge about business. And don't take "get a grip" personally. It's just getting frustrating having all these android dreamers thinking this slider is like the second coming. I like BlackBerry and want it to succeed but lately I have to say they are really dropping the ball.
    09-23-15 03:00 PM
    Think the title of this thread should be changed to "the Slider WAS on fire until the actual name of it was released. It's the BlackBerry Priv!" market that name Lmao!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-23-15 08:25 PM
    I think Morgan Stanley has pretty good knowledge about business. And don't take "get a grip" personally. It's just getting frustrating having all these android dreamers thinking this slider is like the second coming. I like BlackBerry and want it to succeed but lately I have to say they are really dropping the ball.
    Here is the last sentence from the Morgan Stanley report, to make it easier for everyone. That site was full of popup ads.

�We do not think launching Android-based BlackBerry devices will improve prospects, noting maturation of the handset market, the declining industry profit pool and competition from lower ASP models,� Faucette added.

Like Conite, I cannot predict BlackBerry's future. But this statement is a pretty dispassionate assessment on the part of an analyst from a huge and respected firm, and made in the interests of its clients, presumably. Coincidentally, I am a (small) client of Morgan Stanley, and my own broker has repeatedly discouraged me from buying BlackBerry stock, saying that I have no reason to buy it other than my own love of BlackBerry devices, which is emotional, not logical.

I'm going to be very unhappy to see BlackBerry get out of the device business, but it's tough to imagine otherwise at this point. I hope we're all surprised by the success of the new slider.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-23-15 10:38 PM
    Priv

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:08 AM
    Here is the last sentence from the Morgan Stanley report, to make it easier for everyone. That site was full of popup ads.

�We do not think launching Android-based BlackBerry devices will improve prospects, noting maturation of the handset market, the declining industry profit pool and competition from lower ASP models,� Faucette added.

Like Conite, I cannot predict BlackBerry's future. But this statement is a pretty dispassionate assessment on the part of an analyst from a huge and respected firm, and made in the interests of its clients, presumably. Coincidentally, I am a (small) client of Morgan Stanley, and my own broker has repeatedly discouraged me from buying BlackBerry stock, saying that I have no reason to buy it other than my own love of BlackBerry devices, which is emotional, not logical.

I'm going to be very unhappy to see BlackBerry get out of the device business, but it's tough to imagine otherwise at this point. I hope we're all surprised by the success of the new slider.

Posted via CB10
    I know the market is difficult at this time, for almost everyone, even Samsung. I do respect the statement of Morgan Stanley and it makes sense from a logical point of view. Also, investment banks should act rather contained, especially with stocks like BBRY.

Personally I still think the Prive (hope the name will change) could be a success, but firstly this is based on a lot of speculation and emotion, and secondly, a success of that device in the eyes of the users and even BlackBerry does not mean it's a success in the opinion of the stock market.

If a device is somewhat successful in the market, it does not mean it is financially a success. Additionally, at least for my part, subjectively I'd even see a decent number of devices sold as a success for BlackBerry. As long as it has a positive impact on consumer perception and paves the way for future handset development, I'd see it already as a part-success.

I think it's great that BlackBerry explores new waters with this Android device and I think it could help them to stabilize the company while improving their reputation. I do not think this device will miraculously save BlackBerry and neither would I buy, or recommend anyone to buy, BBRY shares at this time.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:51 AM
    With the name Priv, I'd say it is in flames all right! Someone should ******* on it to put it out!

Posted via Z30
    lift and AnimalPak200 like this.
    09-24-15 09:03 AM
    I'd say it is in flames all right! Someone should ******* on it to put it out!
    LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing!!
    09-24-15 10:31 AM
242 ... 8910