So... Slider S?

Posted via CB10
    Slider S edge plus plus.
    AnimalPak200, lift and winscott63 like this.
    09-21-15 12:06 AM
    Is it too early for us slider fans to say "IN YOUR FACE, SLIDER HATERS!"?

Yes, it is. But IN YOUR FACE, SLIDER HATERS! anyway.

How do you know? Have you asked everyone you know, or do you base it on whether or not people make unsolicited statements like "I do not want a PKB on my mobile device" near you? You know, colleagues you pass in the hall at work, the guy at Starbucks that makes your coffee... are people spontaneously compelled to express their mobile device keyboard preferences when you are present?

I don't think people who say they don't know anybody who wants a PKB really know what they don't know.
    All the people that I know as really know..own an iPhone. I know one Android user and I asked him and he said no. I will also say that since I am a BlackBerry owner I always am on the look out for a PKB have not seen one in ages (travel in Asia, Italy, USA and Canada not including Toronto).

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-21-15 02:30 AM
    So... Slider S?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah ... it needs to sell a lot and they need to already have the next version planned
    09-21-15 02:50 AM
    But this one has apps.... ;-P

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    I remember all the buzz about the Z10,but you may be right about the Apps,lol
    09-21-15 08:43 AM
    I remember all the buzz about the Z10,but you may be right about the Apps,lol
    The z10 hype didn't reach to all those android users...

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 09:02 AM
    I don't get why people are being price-skeptical with this device. Even if it's $1,000 at release -- you pay a premium for security.

Volvos have cost more because they put safety above all else. BlackBerry is the more secure and productivity-centric version of Android. I can see enterprise paying more for that!

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    09-21-15 09:33 AM
    I don't get why people are being price-skeptical with this device. Even if it's $1,000 at release -- you pay a premium for security.

Volvos have cost more because they put safety above all else. BlackBerry is the more secure and productivity-centric version of Android. I can see enterprise paying more for that!

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to buy a new Volvo every two or three years because a new petrol comes out and is no longer compatible or gives you two kpl because it's so inefficient.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-21-15 09:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but... fear of death and fear of your nudes getting stolen are not equally commanding of the same type of premiums (yet).

Plus,.. BlackBerry will only be able to make such a claim after the device has been in the wild for a while.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 09:55 AM
    You don't have to buy a new Volvo every two or three years because a new petrol comes out and is no longer compatible or gives you two kpl because it's so inefficient.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know. Volvo (cars not trucks) is owned by Geely, a Chinese automaker, so it's entirely possible that when those China manufactured cars in North America have been on the road a couple years they might need replacing. Yeah, I know all about their new lifetime warranty on replacement parts and all that, but I'm still not sure that I am ready to trust my dollar on a car manufactured in China. That's why we bought a Subaru instead. Subaru really seems to be taking over Volvo's spot in the North American Marketplace since Forf sold off Volvo and most dealers closed.

As for the BlackBerry Venice, we shall see about how much the positive hype coming from current Android users translates into actual sales. I'm not putting my money down on it being a smash hit.
    09-21-15 10:00 AM
    All the people that I know as really know..own an iPhone. I know one Android user and I asked him and he said no. I will also say that since I am a BlackBerry owner I always am on the look out for a PKB have not seen one in ages (travel in Asia, Italy, USA and Canada not including Toronto).
    So you have ONE actual data point, and equate "own an iPhone" (or any full touch device) with "couldn't possibly be interested in the BB Android slider".

ayngling likes this.
    09-21-15 10:03 AM
    As for the BlackBerry Venice, we shall see about how much the positive hype coming from current Android users translates into actual sales. I'm not putting my money down on it being a smash hit.
    Yeah there is a lot of positive buzz in the android community but I agree with you that it is important to see how many of these "excited" people actually buy one. IMO, if it's priced right and has a big battery, it will sell fairly well. It won't sell iPhone or Samsung numbers but I don't see why it can't sell more than BB10 numbers, and I think it's important to see some positive growth in sale numbers and get the brand some recognition so future versions can sell even better.

I for one am excited, I just hope the device isn't too big.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 10:06 AM
    I would like one...
    09-21-15 10:50 AM
    What number of sales in what period of time would you call a "success in the consumer space"? I think if the device sells more than three million in the first quarter of availability, but sales are trending steady and not dropping off steeply shortly after launch, there would have to be SOME significant uptake with consumers, right?

What number would you characterize as "a success with consumers"?
    Being sold out, day one. Causing anger and riots. Now that's what I'd call a successful launch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 11:19 AM
    So you have ONE actual data point, and equate "own an iPhone" (or any full touch device) with "couldn't possibly be interested in the BB Android slider".

No I equate that almost total absence of PKB phones as a sign of a unpopular format. I do agree however that because the slider will be running Android it will likely outsell all other BlackBerry phones combined.

It is too bad that BlackBerry did not see the advantage of making an all touch companion to the slider.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-21-15 at 02:48 PM.
    lift likes this.
    09-21-15 02:27 PM
    Being sold out, day one. Causing anger and riots. Now that's what I'd call a successful launch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Technically, no, as the Passport was "sold out" on day 1 as well.
    09-21-15 02:40 PM
    It would be interesting to know how much inventory BlackBerry or even the carriers are building with this device. It's kind of difficult to make sales estimations as this is something entirely new. Even if sales are weak they'd probably higher than the usual BB10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:18 PM
    It would be interesting to know how much inventory BlackBerry or even the carriers are building with this device. It's kind of difficult to make sales estimations as this is something entirely new. Even if sales are weak they'd probably higher than the usual BB10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    Well I hope that BlackBerry did not take their advice from Google.

Google always orders enough stock of the Nexus to sell out of inventory in 10 minutes. It's so frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    09-21-15 04:39 PM
    No I equate that almost total absence of PKB phones as a sign of a unpopular format.
    Well, then you've oversimplified the data to reach an unsupportable conclusion, but you're not alone.

Do you agree that PKBs produced by other manufacturers on other devices (regardless of platform) are significantly inferior to BlackBerry PKBs (which might affect why other vendors PKB devices do not sell well)?

Do you acknowledge that given the choice of a 16:9 screen OR a 1:1 screen the vast majority of users prefer the 16:9 screen (whether or not the device has a keyboard?)

Do you acknowledge that in general, if a device has MORE features without sacrificing other important features, users will choose the device with MORE features?

Sure, many will say I don't want the added thickness / BlackBerry brand / added weight of the Venice enough to justify having the PKB.

But there ARE those who will say "it's not that much thicker or heavier than competing devices, and all the other aspects of the device are competitive, AND it's got a BlackBerry brand PKB? Yes, I'm interested in that device."

I believe all that remains for this device to be a smash hit are... well, not the device itself. It's the marketing, availability at carrier stores, and those who MIGHT sell the device on its merits resisting the urge to say "BlackBerry is going bankrupt so even though it's a great device, you shouldn't buy it because in 3 months BlackBerry will be out of business and you will be effed."... which HAS been a major problem for BlackBerry over the last 3 years, even when their OS is excellent and the devices are great (which they both are). THIS device won't have the "apps" problem, but STILL might suffer from the "BlackBerry is going bankrupt" perception problem. If BlackBerry can't effectively counter that, it doesn't matter WHAT device running WHAT platform, there's no hope for the handset division.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-21-15 05:06 PM
    No I equate that almost total absence of PKB phones as a sign of a unpopular format. I do agree however that because the slider will be running Android it will likely outsell all other BlackBerry phones combined.

It is too bad that BlackBerry did not see the advantage of making an all touch companion to the slider.

Posted via CB10
    The thing is, a full touch Blackberry with android is the same as any other Android. There's nothing new or compleing to get a Blackberry in that case, unless you really want to give BB money or want a phone that says "Blackberry" on it.
    nonamenomore likes this.
    09-21-15 08:10 PM
    I think the marketing will come from the reviews. If the Android reviewers sing it's praises and calls it as good as a Galaxy but with a bonus keyboard, then it has a chance.

Still most people have not been exposed to a PKB . They have grown up using VKB and will not see the need.

The target audience will be those who do a lot of texting and emails. I am not saying that the phone will flop. It is just unlikely to be a game changer.

The bottom line is whether the negative market impression of BlackBerry can be overcome and whether BlackBerry can re-market the PKB concept.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 12:52 AM
    I think the marketing will come from the reviews. If the Android reviewers sing it's praises and calls it as good as a Galaxy but with a bonus keyboard, then it has a chance.

Still most people have not been exposed to a PKB . They have grown up using VKB and will not see the need.

The target audience will be those who do a lot of texting and emails. I am not saying that the phone will flop. It is just unlikely to be a game changer.

The bottom line is whether the negative market impression of BlackBerry can be overcome and whether BlackBerry can re-market the PKB concept.

Posted via CB10
    Again we have to ask what would be considered a success in terms of sales.

If BlackBerry can reach only 1% of the Android market, they would still sell more than if they would reach the entire BB10 market, so we're dealing with different scales here.

As for the negative market impression I think you're right. However, this time people will know what they will get, software wise. The most negative thoughts about BlackBerry came from their software, not their hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 09-22-15 at 11:29 AM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-22-15 03:46 AM
    Which is why I'm willing to pay $499 for the Nexus 6X and not $699. The specs required for the $699 commitment are universal to me, regardless of what brand it is. But it does have the 810v2, 3GB of memory, wireless charging, the USB-C port and the QHD display, which I feel is excellent for the probable cost.
    And in 6 months a new nexus will arrive and yours will be obsolete, and you are going to pay for the next one too, and for next too, etc etc, whole this will be on top like z30 for more then 1.5 years

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 05:04 AM
    That's a fair statement.

"will not"? Oh, you've got THAT wrong. For some it will be a revelation. The reasons why people "tolerate" VKBs and required two-handed device operation are many. Some simply don't care, some have become VERY adept on VKB typing. Others only tolerate it because it's the only choice they have (because they like iPhone and there are no quality PKBs for iPhone, they tolerate typing on glass.) Ask people you know that own iPhones "do you LOVE typing on glass" and do you get an answer "yes, I've tried excellent mobile device keyboards and prefer typing on glass MUCH more" or would they answer "meh, it's OK"... then if you're brave dig a little deeper and ask about auto correct and if they think typing on a PKB would possibly SOLVE some of the problems they have with VKBs. If you want to load the deck with "how can I ask these questions to come to a conclusion that the user prefers a VKB?" well, is that serving any purpose?

Yes: BlackBerry's reputation and most smartphone users' lack of experience with BlackBerry PKBs is an issue, one that BlackBerry has to counter. A commercial with "You THINK you've tried mobile phone keyboards... you haven't REALLY tried one until you've tried a BlackBerry keyboard." would be one kind of message to put out. Most of the discussion you've been making statements that reinforce a general anti-PKB bias in the market, that "people don't like PKBs". Have you softened that position to "people don't know about PKBs" and "People don't have confidence in BlackBerry's stability to choose them as their device vendor"?
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-22-15 at 09:48 AM.
    09-22-15 08:54 AM
    It is quite possible that the slider becomes the coolest phone to own or it could be regarded as an answer to a question no longer asked. I am not sure that users of a device with a large screen also want a small PKB vs a VKB of the same size. It could be a revelation or it could be viewed as unnecessary.

Regardless, we all agree that marketing will be critical.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 11:49 AM
    Most people will be buying it on a 2 year contract at $199 anyway.....the contract crowd will have a chance to play with it at their local <insert carrier store name here> store so they will know what they are buying before they buy it.
    This scenario will open the door to numerous Crackberry threads that begin with the exact same sentence, "I went to my neighborhood Verizon store yesterday and .... " followed by (1) the clerk didn't know anything about the Venice. (2) the battery in the display model was dead (3) I was told BlackBerry no longer makes phones (4) they discouraged me from buying the Venice and tried to sell me a "real" Android device, etc.. My point is, regardless of the level of excitement of the CrackBerry faithful and tech bloggers, American phone carriers are going to have a huge impact on whether the device is a success or failure. Based on my experience, I don't see Verizon T-Mobile, or AT&T being very helpful in selling any BlackBerry device no matter what OS is installed on it.

This view has nothing to do with my view of the Venice. I'm planning on giving it a chance when my contract is up in a couple of months.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-22-15 12:19 PM
242 ... 78910