No one is saying that, but this is an Android phone and there are many that pay a lot of money for android devices. So no, I am not dreaming in the least.

Last time I checked android sales are still ahead of apple
    I do not what you checked but the iphone is the most sold phone. You cannot compare hundreds of manufacturers against one
    09-20-15 12:41 AM
    If this device keeps the BlackBerry hardware division from being shut we should all pray it sells like crazy.

Personally I think it's a product that if executed and marketed properly could sell millions.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    Buzz yes. Everyone saw it.

Doesn't (and was never suppose to) have wide appeal. Niche product.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    I'm hoping the same thing.......that it sells like hell all good for blackberry and us users time will tell
    09-20-15 12:45 AM
    I know they're not free, but LG and Samsung do not have the brand fatigue, irrelevance really of Blackberry. They don't have to including PKBs or the BB Experience Suite to sell their phones. That's because for every business man focused on productivity, there are thousands of media consumers who don't give a toss about productivity features. If they want to gain any in-roads with consumers, especially current Android users using a competing brand, releasing a handset which me-too specs at a premium cost considering their brand image is a poor move. I won't say that those features aren't a draw to some (the experience suite is a curiosity for me but I could care less about PKB and would likely never use it), but they represent a small percentage of users comparatively.
    if you don't intend to use the keyboard then why not go and get one of the many many other droid phones out there as I cant see this phone been less than �475-�600 when it is released
    09-20-15 12:52 AM
    Everyone wants the slider to be released with top end current specs but are unwilling to pay for it, it seems.
    everybody wants everything for as little as possible ........and when it is cheaper they will moan that it hasn't got everything
    09-20-15 01:01 AM
    The pop-up store in Germany is a nice move that I wish to see repeating in promising markets
    would love to go to this
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 01:06 AM
    well now, you know of one...me! i'm physically disabled and STRONGLY prefer the ease of typing on a pkb.
    I want the pkb and use a pkb as well so that's 2 of us
    Sal1982 likes this.
    09-20-15 01:15 AM
    I hope it works out for BB because, everyone loves a comeback,remember that one? Keep on slugging BB and eventually you'll have a smash hit,lol
    ayngling and Prem WatsApp like this.
    09-20-15 01:33 AM
    Slider on Fire !! Yes I agree totally . There is lots of hype around this device in Dubai as well. I have been a regular visitor at BB Stores at Dubai Mall and last week I was surprised to see increased footfalls at the showroom . Most of the visitors were inquiring about the Slider. Slider will certainly bring Sunny days again for JC who has been at the receiving end by many critics . I am BB10 fan but I strongly feel Slider will bring back the good old times for BBRY which has been now overdue. I will buy the slider immediately upon the launch at Dubai.
    09-20-15 01:44 AM
    Hopefully they don't price it like the iPhone

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 01:52 AM
    Hopefully they don't price it like the iPhone
    I am hoping it is the same price as the Samsung S6 Edge. No more, no less.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-20-15 01:56 AM
    I would actually price it at $699 (so that it's clear it is meant to be a high end phone), but offer an 'early adopter' discount for the first month. Reward those willing to take the plunge early.

I know they did something like that with the Passport, even if eventually they never really raised the price,.. it did get me to pull the trigger right away because 'I didn't want to miss the discount'.

Posted via CB10
    Why not price it $899 and make it iPhone premium? You can sell with a premium when you got recognition. BB recognition is limited to Crackberry ATM.

All of you that compare it to Samsung and LG you are on a pipe dream. Blackberry is pooρ for Joe and Jane Consumer. Just like Microsoft/Nokia. The tried to push the Lumia 830 at a high price and it backfired.

$499 max or it's DOA
    Last edited by d3ac0n; 09-20-15 at 03:29 AM.
    09-20-15 03:07 AM
    I don't see this selling for any less than a passport. Regardless of the price for me, it's a day 1 purchase.
    09-20-15 03:28 AM
    Why not price it $899 and make it iPhone premium? You can sell with a premium when you got recognition. BB recognition is limited to Crackberry ATM.

All of you that compare it to Samsung and LG you are on a pipe dream. Blackberry is pooρ for Joe and Jane Consumer. Just like Microsoft/Nokia. The tried to push the Lumia 830 at a high price and it backfired.

$499 max or it's DOA
    Joe and Jane only know Android and iOS. I'm sure once they see this phone in the flesh they'll be impressed. Again, that physical keyboard is going to make it stand out. If blackberry indeed does offer some kind of secure android then that's even better.

I'd compare it to LG and Samsung mainly because it wasn't until recently that Samsung upped their build quality on their phones. The LG G4 is still all plastic (unless you get that leather back)

The Venice is no slouch in terms of build quality (at least from what I've seen)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-20-15 04:18 AM
    I just recall that the Passport had a lot of buzz too.

Posted via CB10
    But this one has apps.... ;-P

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-20-15 06:10 AM
    Slider on Fire !! Yes I agree totally . There is lots of hype around this device in Dubai as well. I have been a regular visitor at BB Stores at Dubai Mall and last week I was surprised to see increased footfalls at the showroom . Most of the visitors were inquiring about the Slider. Slider will certainly bring Sunny days again for JC who has been at the receiving end by many critics . I am BB10 fan but I strongly feel Slider will bring back the good old times for BBRY which has been now overdue. I will buy the slider immediately upon the launch at Dubai.
    Go for it, mate! :-D

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-20-15 06:12 AM
    Let's hope this device will bring back BlackBerry into the mainstream!

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and IndianTiwari like this.
    09-20-15 06:22 AM
    Joe and Jane only know Android and iOS. I'm sure once they see this phone in the flesh they'll be impressed. Again, that physical keyboard is going to make it stand out. If blackberry indeed does offer some kind of secure android then that's even better.
    Being curious or surprised at the quaintness of such a feature is not the same as being impressed. There are obviously some that will be interested in the PKB because it's nostalgic because they're of a certain age, or are young and bask in the hispter contrariness, like those neckbeards that sit the quad at uni, banging away on a 1947 Royal Portable laid across the frayed knees of their $130 A&F skinny jeans. The average use, young user especially, the ones with parents willing to buy them most anything they want, the ones with disposable income and no personal responsibility, have lived their entire lives with phones have virtual keyboards. It's what they comfortable with, and they do not care about PKBs. They just don't.

I'd compare it to LG and Samsung mainly because it wasn't until recently that Samsung upped their build quality on their phones. The LG G4 is still all plastic (unless you get that leather back)
    In terms of build quality, pretty much all OEMs follow the same tiered structure of specs and build quality. So did HDTV manufacturers during the late 90s and early 2000s. How then did we arrive at field of a few high-end makers and a few budget makers? Brand awareness and brand loyalty. For someone that inhabits Crackberry and seems reasonably excited about Venice, it's strange that this fact is lost on you. Samsung and LG are trusted names in mobiles phones. So is Apple. So is Sony. Blackberry is just that company that made phones with keyboard at the dawn of time that people think went out of business. So, let's say they hear about Venice coming out later this year. They can't ask their friends about BBRY, because statistically they don't know anyone that has one. They go online and they read about what Blackberry has done. Handsets with hobbled, last-gen specs. Products being abandoned after passionate promises to the contrary. The app gap. A cash infusion being the only thing that kept BBRY from the grave. The Slider being BBRY's last chance at handset sales. Is that a company which imbues the a buyer with confidence about a purchase, a company a buyer is certain will be there for the lifetime of their phone, that won't abandon the product because its new direction doesn't include that hardware?

Perhaps to you, but not to me, and I've been with BBRY since I've carried a mobile phone. And most importantly, I doubt it sounds a good proposition to someone buying their first product from Blackberry. Stacking all of those things against a PKB, a curiosity at best for the average consumer, I just don't see it balancing in favour of a BBRY purchase, but time will tell.
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    09-20-15 08:32 AM

The Venice is no slouch in terms of build quality (at least from what I've seen)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Yeah sure. I am certain that the vast majority that are on a virtual keyboard are gonna instantly love a pkb. PKB are for old people and hipsters.

If it's not priced competitively it's gonna flop. And if it flops BB has two options: stay in the niche market of governments that want super secure phones or go belly up
    09-20-15 09:17 AM
    I would actually price it at $699 (so that it's clear it is meant to be a high end phone), but offer an 'early adopter' discount for the first month. Reward those willing to take the plunge early.
    Here's another possibility, I know it's crazy but OOTBT is what some people say I do best:

Sell at whatever price it costs to be profitable for the first batch of devices. Even if that's $799. Then throughout the lifecycle of the device in the market, once the price begins to drop, give the early adoptors a credit at shopblackberry.com equal to the difference.... so if after three months the device is selling for $599, give that early adoptor a $200 credit for accessories etc.

Or, release a higher-priced special edition (like was rumoured for the Passport) with accessories and a charging stand and perhaps a super high quality set of headphones or even a great bluetooth headset, maybe work out a deal with another hardware vendor (or actually produce) an HDMI Miracast receiver (NFC enabled so you just tap your phone on it and connection is made). Provide a premium package at a premium price with premium accessories for the fanboys to pay the extra bit but GET more than just "having it first".

With a few notable exceptions, BlackBerry doesn't give it's core fan base enough love.
    09-20-15 11:04 AM
    Or, release a higher-priced special edition (like was rumoured for the Passport) with accessories and a charging stand and perhaps a super high quality set of headphones or even a great bluetooth headset, maybe work out a deal with another hardware vendor (or actually produce) an HDMI Miracast receiver (NFC enabled so you just tap your phone on it and connection is made). Provide a premium package at a premium price with premium accessories for the fanboys to pay the extra bit but GET more than just "having it first".
    This idea I like. If they have to (because of high production costs), sell the first batch at a premium with some added BlackBerry swag, and once the cost goes down sell the "normal" package at the announced price. (A price I hope matches the Samsung S6 Edge. No more, no less.)

Good thinking!
    09-20-15 11:17 AM
    Here's another possibility, I know it's crazy but OOTBT is what some people say I do best:

With a few notable exceptions, BlackBerry doesn't give it's core fan base enough love.
    They certainly don't, but this is a tricky one because they're not only asking Android users to risk trying them,.. they're also asking their core fan base to risk trying Android!

But who knows, maybe they know we're actually desperate losers.

The credit idea sounds good, but only in retrospect. As in, you couldn't possibly tell people that eventually it will cost $200 less, but they will get a credit (or maybe people are patient enough to understand that?--nah)

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:19 AM
    Doesn't (and was never suppose to) have wide appeal. Niche product.
    A slider is not a niche product?
    09-20-15 11:28 AM
    Go out and ask your friends, co-workers and family how many of them WANT a slider (whether it is running android or not). Don't even tell them it's a BlackBerry. I'm serious. Then tell me it is not just a niche product.
    09-20-15 11:30 AM
    Go out and ask your friends, co-workers and family how many of them WANT a slider (whether it is running android or not). Don't even tell them it's a BlackBerry. I'm serious. Then tell me it is not just a niche product.
    I believe you are right. What I would like to do instead though, is get this phone, and show it to lots of people without showing the keyboard. Show them it is an Android phone, with all the apps they can ever want, but it is made by BlackBerry to be more secure and made for people who like a cleaner, more productive Android. I show the hub, the very nice virtual keyboard, etc. Then, when they say it looks nice, I open the keyboard and show the touch keyboard, saying it even has a keyboard if they want to write longer messages, but they never have to use it if they don't.

If they buy it for the touch, they might stay for the keyboard (once they get used to it).
    astrodan13 and RigoMonster like this.
    09-20-15 11:40 AM
    I believe you are right. What I would like to do instead though, is get this phone, and show it to lots of people without showing the keyboard. Show them it is an Android phone, with all the apps they can ever want, but it is made by BlackBerry to be more secure and made for people who like a cleaner, more productive Android. I show the hub, the very nice virtual keyboard, etc. Then, when they say it looks nice, I open the keyboard and show the touch keyboard, saying it even has a keyboard if they want to write longer messages, but they never have to use it if they don't.

If they buy it for the touch, they might stay for the keyboard (once they get used to it).
    Maybe that line or reasoning would work for some, but even if the slider was running BB10, I wouldn't buy it because I don't want a slider. I think many would also feel that way.
    09-20-15 11:44 AM
242 ... 23456 ...