A lot of the "fire" will die down once folks find out the price of the phone.
    This will be priced no differently than any flagship with similar HW. It's not like the phone has to have a 'BB discount' to get people to try it. It's basically a vanilla android phone with a Blackberry KB and apps. People know what they are buying.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-19-15 01:16 PM
    The LG G4 and Samsung S6 Edge are going for around $599 off contract. Someone is buying them.

I would expect the Slider to be at least $50-100 more at the outset. The keyboard and Experience Suite are hardly free.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    I know they're not free, but LG and Samsung do not have the brand fatigue, irrelevance really of Blackberry. They don't have to including PKBs or the BB Experience Suite to sell their phones. That's because for every business man focused on productivity, there are thousands of media consumers who don't give a toss about productivity features. If they want to gain any in-roads with consumers, especially current Android users using a competing brand, releasing a handset which me-too specs at a premium cost considering their brand image is a poor move. I won't say that those features aren't a draw to some (the experience suite is a curiosity for me but I could care less about PKB and would likely never use it), but they represent a small percentage of users comparatively.
    09-19-15 01:18 PM
    Which is why I'm willing to pay $499 for the Nexus 6X and not $699. The specs required for the $699 commitment is universal to me, regardless of what brand it is. But it does have the 810v2, 3GB of memory, wireless charging, the USB-C port and the QHD display, which I feel is excellent for the probable cost.
    It does have USB-C? Are you sure about that? Well, I guess none of us are sure about anything until the specs are officially released, so we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:18 PM
    I know they're not free, but LG and Samsung do not have the brand fatigue, irrelevance really of Blackberry. They don't have to including PKBs or the BB Experience Suite to sell their phones. That's because for every business man focused on productivity, there are thousands of media consumers who don't give a toss about productivity features. If they want to gain any in-roads with consumers, especially current Android users using a competing brand, releasing a handset which me-too specs at a premium cost considering their brand image is a poor move. I won't say that those features aren't a draw to some (the experience suite is a curiosity for me but I could care less about PKB and would likely never use it), but they represent a small percentage of users comparatively.
    Check this article out. XDA seems pretty excited about it:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/blackb...-perfect-time/

AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-19-15 01:20 PM
    This will be priced no differently than any flagship with similar HW. It's not like the phone has to have a 'BB discount' to get people to try it. It's basically a vanilla android phone with a Blackberry KB and apps. People know what they are buying.
    But it does need one, and that's something that the marketing shouters do get correct. Part of a major device sale is brand trust. LG has it, Samsung has it, Google has it, Apple has it. For most would-be buyers of the Slider with no experience with BB10 handsets, this will be their first Blackberry. It's hard to pull the trigger blind to the tune of $700.
    09-19-15 01:20 PM
    It does have USB-C? Are you sure about that? Well, I guess none of us are sure about anything until the specs are officially released, so we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    All of the leaks that I have seen, including CAD specs from the factory, as well as accessories, and Google's own vocal and recent commitment to USB-C with the Chromebook Pixel, point heavily to it having USB-C.
    09-19-15 01:22 PM
    Check this article out. XDA seems pretty excited about it:
    Blackberry Venice: Hardware Keyboard Done Right at the Perfect Time - XDA Forums

Word of mouth is brilliant but it does not necessarily translate to broad device sales. And, so far as I could tell, nothing in that article referred to a price. Might the exuberance been more tempered with a firm $699 price? Perhaps, perhaps not, but which way I argue should be obvious.
    09-19-15 01:26 PM
    Which is why I'm willing to pay $499 for the Nexus 6X and not $699. The specs required for the $699 commitment are universal to me, regardless of what brand it is. But it does have the 810v2, 3GB of memory, wireless charging, the USB-C port and the QHD display, which I feel is excellent for the probable cost.
    Yeah they also lack a physical backlit capacitive sliding keyboard, the software for the capacitive functions, and experience suite. Not exactly an apple to apples comparison you're making there.

They can't include everything you want with those added features and sell it for some unrealistic price so enjoy your generic nexus.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:32 PM
    Yeah they also lack a physical backlit capacitive sliding keyboard, the software for the capacitive functions, experience suite. Not exactly an apple to apples comparison you're making there.

They can't include everything you want with those added features and sell it for some unrealistic price.

Posted via CB10
    Which are niche features that the average Android user may find interesting but likely won't make inroads there. It's considered quaint or retro, not vital. If the goal of Venice is merely to remedy the app gap and stem the attrition of its existing user base, even get some of them back, then the $699 price is high but manageable and will probably be a success. If the goal is to convert large numbers of consumers at the same time, it's grossly overpriced when considering the brand position.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-19-15 01:37 PM
    But it does need one, and that's something that the marketing shouters do get correct. Part of a major device sale is brand trust. LG has it, Samsung has it, Google has it, Apple has it. For most would-be buyers of the Slider with no experience with BB10 handsets, this will be their first Blackberry. It's hard to pull the trigger blind to the tune of $700.
    Most people will be buying it on a 2 year contract at $199 anyway. Only a small minority will buy it outright. Abd the contract crowd will have a chance to play with it at their local <insert carrier store name here> store so they will know what they are buying before they buy it. It's won't be like a BB10 device where the carriers were hesitant and non-committal. This is basically going to be a Motorola Pure with a HW KB. If Blackberry screws this up they deserve to go bankrupt.
    09-19-15 01:38 PM
    Which are niche features that the average Android user may find interesting but likely won't make inroads there. It's considered quaint or retro, not vital. If the goal of Venice is merely to remedy the app gap and stem the attrition of its existing user base, even get some of them back, then the $699 price is high but manageable and will probably be a success. If the goal is to convert large numbers of consumers at the same time, it's grossly overpriced when considering the brand position.
    But from the responses i've seen a lot of android folks seem to be fatigued by all the generic devices these days. Everything is just a rectangle with small changes. They're like cars today which all look the same and have no character.

http://pocketnow.com/2015/09/18/blac...head-explosion

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS and nonamenomore like this.
    09-19-15 01:40 PM
    Most people will be buying it on a 2 year contract at $199 anyway. Only a small minority will buy it outright. Abd the contract crowd will have a chance to play with it at their local <insert carrier store name here> store so they will know what they are buying before they buy it. It's won't be like a BB10 device where the carriers were hesitant and non-committal. This is basically going to be a Motorola Pure with a HW KB. If Blackberry screws this up they deserve to go bankrupt.
    They'll carry them but will they push them? Do they carry the same commission incentives? We'll see, I suppose.
    09-19-15 01:42 PM
    But from the responses i've seen a lot of android folks seem to be fatigued by all the generic devices these days. Everything is just a rectangle with small changes. They're like cars today which all look the same and have no character.

http://pocketnow.com/2015/09/18/blac...head-explosion

Posted via CB10
    But all of the positivity I've seen is exuded without knowing the price tag. That's where a sale begins and ends. We'll see.
    09-19-15 01:43 PM
    A lot of the "fire" will die down once folks find out the price of the phone.
    Does it die down with the latest Iphone releases? A phone enthusiast will find a way to make it happen if they want something bad enough. If you can have 18 yr olds walking around with iphones that they themselves and not their parents bought for them this certainly should be no different really
    09-19-15 01:43 PM
    I think there's people like me who get up using a phone with a physical keyboard and are eager to go back to one. And I think I there's other who have never tried one but will realize how much more convenient and efficient you will be with a physical keyboard.

I mean I use to take notes in class while using my Treo 650. Looking at the teacher speak and I'd rarely even look down as I was typing it all. It was glorious. I miss my Treo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 01:44 PM
    Does it die down with the latest Iphone releases?
    If you think that Blackberry remotely carries the same social status as Apple, irrespective of if that status is rightly deserved, you're dreaming.
    Last edited by JohnGrey; 09-19-15 at 02:04 PM.
    09-19-15 01:44 PM
    I think there's people like me who get up using a phone with a physical keyboard and are eager to go back to one. And I think I there's other who have never tried one but will realize how much more convenient and efficient you will be with a physical keyboard.

I mean I use to take notes in class while using my Treo 650. Looking at the teacher speak and I'd rarely even look down as I was typing it all. It was glorious. I miss my Treo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Why type when you can use a voice recorder?
    southlander likes this.
    09-19-15 01:45 PM
    But all of the positivity I've seen is exuded without knowing the price tag. That's where a sale begins and ends. We'll see.
    Whether it's a big seller or not it has changed a lot of assumptions about blackberry which is important as well.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and DolemiteDONS like this.
    09-19-15 01:45 PM
    Whether it's a big seller or not it has changed a lot of assumptions about blackberry which is important as well.

Posted via CB10
    Positive opinions will not keep the lights on in Waterloo.
    09-19-15 01:49 PM
    If you think that Blackberry remotely carries the same social status as Apple, irrespective of if that status is rightly deserved, you're dreaming.
    No one is saying that, but this is an Android phone and there are many that pay a lot of money for android devices. So no, I am not dreaming in the least.

Last time I checked android sales are still ahead of apple
    will308 likes this.
    09-19-15 02:10 PM
    Which is why I'm willing to pay $499 for the Nexus 6X and not $699. The specs required for the $699 commitment are universal to me, regardless of what brand it is. But it does have the 810v2, 3GB of memory, wireless charging, the USB-C port and the QHD display, which I feel is excellent for the probable cost.
    It's $799, just sayin'
    09-19-15 02:13 PM
    Let's hope they don't mess it up with high pricing...
    But yeah, if you think about the past, they always did

Posted via CB10
    Everyone wants the slider to be released with top end current specs but are unwilling to pay for it, it seems.
    09-19-15 02:14 PM
    No one is saying that, but this is an Android phone and there are many that pay a lot of money for android devices. So no, I am not dreaming in the least.

Last time I checked android sales are still ahead of apple
    Android sales are ahead of iPhone sales because of the sheer number of OEMs and the plethora of low-cost handsets pumped into emerging markets. But the flagship western market tells a very different story. For example, the Galaxy S5 had shipped approximately 16 million in its first quarter, 40% less than its predecessor. The iPhone 6? Nearly 75 million.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-19-15 02:22 PM
    It's $799, just sayin'
    If you mean the Nexus 6P, I'd be shocked. The higher price for the 6 killed their sales last time. $499 minimum, middle $500s is possible, $649 maximum. Any more and they're going to have a flop on their hands.
    Last edited by JohnGrey; 09-19-15 at 03:31 PM.
    09-19-15 02:22 PM
    $799 equal 799 EUR +VAT. In EU will be tough for Venice at that price

Posted via Blackberry Passport
    09-19-15 02:34 PM
242 1234 ...