In my opinion,
    The slider can't be BlackBerry's first Android device for those reasons :
    -People with android doesn't care about pkb
    -I don't recall any supports for androids with pkb( correct me if I'm wrong)
    -I'm a fan of the torch but I think the slider is more of a BlackBerry fan device than a device for testing the water on android

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    06-11-15 07:24 PM
    Actually I'd argue that's their best shot at differentiating themselves in an already overcrowded market. PKB may not have mass appeal, but given the sheer size of the Android market, even if they pick up single digit percentages in sales, that'd be pretty big. As long as it's touch capacitive and has the actions / shortcuts... Throw in the Hub and swipe up on letter for predictions? Mmmm, I think it could do alright.
    06-11-15 07:28 PM
    I work in wireless sales management and know for a fact that people still cling desperately to their old Droid 4's because they don't want to get rid of the keyboards. I had a woman the other day almost buy an ancient LG Enact because she did not like the Q10 I had in stock, despite wanting a keyboard. With seeing the massive demand for the S6 Edge first hand, a dual-edge slider from BlackBerry running Android could see mass appeal. It would be an incredibly wise decision to have one model running Android with a BB10 skin. Add the latest eight core Exynos processor, BlackBerry natural sound, a Sony camera with ois, the passport touch keyboard and the awesome virtual keyboard, QHD screen, Hub access, and a massive battery.. You have a winner!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 08:20 PM
    I work in wireless sales management and know for a fact that people still cling desperately to their old Droid 4's because they don't want to get rid of the keyboards. I had a woman the other day almost buy an ancient LG Enact because she did not like the Q10 I had in stock, despite wanting a keyboard. With seeing the massive demand for the S6 Edge first hand, a dual-edge slider from BlackBerry running Android could see mass appeal. It would be an incredibly wise decision to have one model running Android with a BB10 skin. Add the latest eight core Exynos processor, BlackBerry natural sound, a Sony camera with ois, the passport touch keyboard and the awesome virtual keyboard, QHD screen, Hub access, and a massive battery.. You have a winner!

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. Please repeat this to some of the people on this forum that think PKB phones are dead . Add touch capacity to the keyboard (so it doubles as a trackpad), actions and shortcuts (t for top of browser page/email, b for bottom), an integrated Hub and full Android support, label it a Samsung device with cutting edge specs, and...
    MO3iusONE and ayngling like this.
    06-11-15 08:24 PM
    Thank you. Please repeat this to some of the people on this forum that think PKB phones are dead . Add touch capacity to the keyboard (so it doubles as a trackpad), actions and shortcuts (t for top of browser page/email, b for bottom), an integrated Hub and full Android support, label it a Samsung device with cutting edge specs, and...
    Perhaps they'd be more receptive once BlackBerry sorts out the double typing issue.

Posted via C5303
    lnichols likes this.
    06-11-15 08:30 PM
    Perhaps they'd be more receptive once BlackBerry sorts out the double typing issue.

Posted via C5303
    No double typing on my Passport, lol. ANYWAY, since it would be a Samsung Android device with BlackBerry value added software, any double typing would be on Samsung and Android, no? Surely they'd make it soooo much better, ha.

I don't doubt some people are having hardware issues, a pkb is obviously more prone to failure than glass... But I'd be curious to know how widespread the issue really is in the real world. It reminds me of the iPhone 6+ bending controversy. I actually know someone who was an early adopter and experienced the issue (which Apple quickly rectified without admitting it), but was it that widespread?

Of course people on CB that are having problems are going to post here about issues with hardware / software. The squeaky wheel...

I visit other forums / sites dedicated to Apple and Android, and I assure you, there are many, many issues there as well. But that doesn't mean any of the platforms are somehow flawed, imho.
    extisis likes this.
    06-11-15 08:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I work in IT within a large financial services company and none of the over 2000 plus cell phone user have asked for or complained about the switch away from Blackberry. None. Zero. Nada.

Not sure where your company is but its not from our neck of the woods.
    There was also just a large article on how Wall Street is dumping BB.

The current ideas and execution are not working. ..

A major change is needed.

Again Chen has said the words "BlackBerry 10" very few times.
    He has known for sometime it aint going to pay the bills.

Heck they had ads in the paper for Android devs almost 2 years ago.

Move forward.
    Try something different.
    The BB Faithful aint paying the bills anymore.

Via my HTC One M9...
    Witmen and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-11-15 08:44 PM
    Hahaha. Doesn't matter if BlackBerry goes Android very few with Bb10 will stay. They will have burnt most of the base for the last time. You PKB guys can get Android devices with stuttering keys and Optical tack pads that fail in sunlight while everyone else moves on and BlackBerry tries to con people that they are a competent software company.

Posted via Z30
    06-11-15 08:45 PM
    Hahaha. Doesn't matter if BlackBerry goes Android very few with Bb10 will stay. They will have burnt most of the base for the last time. You PKB guys can get Android devices with stuttering keys and Optical tack pads that fail in sunlight while everyone else moves on and BlackBerry tries to con people that they are a competent software company.

Posted via Z30
    There's no need for a track pad with a touch capacitive pkb, lol. So I'm a PKB 'guy' now? Lol...

Guess I should just trash my Android and iOS devices and go full hog then... Silly me for liking the Passport form factor, and the UX of BB10... Aren't you the same person who said on another thread that you've only ever owned BlackBerry devices? Or am I mistaking you for someone else? You sure don't sound like a BlackBerry guy... Since you think it's all going to pot, I'm curious why you even bother staying on this forum? Why not save yourself the grief and explore other platforms? Apple products work exceptionally well with each other, and Android has a boatload of customization options (not to mention great hardware at a much lower price).

BlackBerry is relatively new to me, and with the Passport I see potential. But maybe I'm crazy. Just one of those crazy BlackBerry guys who's spouting off like a madman on a BlackBerry forum... I've clearly lost touch with reality. Nuts, I know, lol.
    06-11-15 08:54 PM
    Slider will be BlackBerry 10 OS
    There is passport design running Android I think

*wild guess*

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-11-15 08:57 PM
    Slider will be BlackBerry 10 OS
    There is passport design running Android I think

*wild guess*

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2204 | CB Mod
    They should experiment with the 16x9 candybar slider on Android, imho. No issues of resizing apps for perspective like the Passport. JMHO.
    06-11-15 09:01 PM
    It really doesn't matter.

At the end of the day I won't buy a Blackberry powered by Android.

I DO enjoy my Passport, and an Android powered Passport would be interesting.

But I'm not interested.

Maybe I'll get my Jolla phone afterall.

Also, not interested in a slider. The ancient 4row keyboard ruins it, from now on it should be 3 row capacitive only. Also curved glass is a dumb gimmick, they can keep it.

So whether it's Android or BB10. Well, I already have my Passport.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-11-15 09:06 PM
    It really doesn't matter.

At the end of the day I won't buy a Blackberry powered by Android.

I DO enjoy my Passport, and an Android powered Passport would be interesting.

But I'm not interested.

Maybe I'll get my Jolla phone afterall.

Also, not interested in a slider. The ancient 4row keyboard ruins it, from now on it should be 3 row capacitive only. Also curved glass is a dumb gimmick, they can keep it.

So whether it's Android or BB10. Well, I already have my Passport.

Work Wide and Prosper
    What if Chen makes an Android play for consumer sales, and keeps BB10 alive and releases Passport 2? I agree, the Passport is an awesome device, and based on personal usage (I have no enterprise specific app requirements) it totally fills all my needs. Other than losing my favourite e-book reader - MoonReader+ - I could forgo the Android runtime as well and wouldn't hesitate to buy the next gen iteration.
    06-11-15 09:14 PM
    What if Chen makes an Android play for consumer sales, and keeps BB10 alive and releases Passport 2? I agree, the Passport is an awesome device, and based on personal usage (I have no enterprise specific app requirements) it totally fills all my needs. Other than losing my favourite e-book reader - MoonReader+ - I could forgo the Android runtime as well and wouldn't hesitate to buy the next gen iteration.
    Sure. Assuming I don't have to jump through crazy hoops like being associated with a company that deploys Blackberry devices to get one.

And knowing Blackberry, I probably will.

We'll see. Nothing to worry about for now anyway. Lots of time before the end of the year.

Work Wide and Prosper
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-11-15 09:36 PM
    When I look at the passport, it's scream BlackBerry. When I look at my z10 it's doesn't feel like a BlackBerry, people even think it's an iphone.
    The passport should have been heavily marketed and release at the beginning of bb10(yeah I know it was not even designed yet).
    I'm hoping they don't miss their shot with the slider.
    Back on the subject, I'm thinking they should go with a full touch screen rather then a slider. It would be a safer bet. Heck I don't even think that it would work simply because of the name BlackBerry. People would not even buy a BlackBerry even if it was powered by apple. I've ask so many people why they wouldn't even give a try to bb10 and they have no answer, they just hate it without a reason. Why go to a market saturated by Samsung and fragment your clientel.Before anyone throw tomatoes, an fan of the torch and my next upgrade will be the slider and I'm again a BlackBerry powered by android.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 09:37 PM
    When I look at the passport, it's scream BlackBerry. When I look at my z10 it's doesn't feel like a BlackBerry, people even think it's an iphone.
    The passport should have been heavily marketed and release at the beginning of bb10(yeah I know it was not even designed yet).
    I'm hoping they don't miss their shot with the slider.
    Back on the subject, I'm thinking they should go with a full touch screen rather then a slider. It would be a safer bet. Heck I don't even think that it would work simply because of the name BlackBerry. People would not even buy a BlackBerry even if it was powered by apple. I've ask so many people why they wouldn't even give a try to bb10 and they have no answer, they just hate it without a reason. Why go to a market saturated by Samsung and fragment your clientel.Before anyone throw tomatoes, an fan of the torch and my next upgrade will be the slider and I'm again a BlackBerry powered by android.

Posted via CB10
    Passport stands out, no doubt, I love the device. I hope to God they continue to explore this form factor, whether it's a combination of BB10 / Android or just BB10. It. just. works. What a beautiful device. And I say that as someone who's happy with all platforms for varying reasons, lol. I'd kill if they'd release a slider version....
    06-11-15 09:47 PM
    I work in IT within a large financial services company and none of the over 2000 plus cell phone user have asked for or complained about the switch away from Blackberry. None. Zero. Nada.
    Blackberry devices like the Q10 and Passport haven't had enormous sales; but, that doesn't mean there aren't any users that perceive added value from a physical keyboard. Now the added value isn't enough for the overwhelming majority of smartphone users to pick up a BB10 device. Most users aren't interested in a non-mainstream OS with no apps.

But, assuming a Blackberry Android Slider had the same specs and price as the LG G4, there will be some users who pick the Slider. It's a niche much like the Xperia Z3 Compact or the YotaPhone. Not an enormous niche but it is what it is. Just make sure the Slider has a GUI keyboard as well.
    anon(9353145) and southlander like this.
    06-11-15 10:05 PM

Move forward.
    Try something different.

Via my HTC One M9...
    Yeah, but BB10 is cooler. Someone said it best in the news thread: Android is like McDonald's. Ubiquitous, easy to get, has a large fan base, and full of junk.

We're a nation of overweight slobs. No wonder everyone loves Android.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp and nick13b like this.
    06-11-15 10:12 PM
    Blackberry devices like the Q10 and Passport haven't had enormous sales; but, that doesn't mean there aren't any users that perceive added value from a physical keyboard. Now the added value isn't enough for the overwhelming majority of smartphone users to pick up a BB10 device. Most users aren't interested in a non-mainstream OS with no apps.

But, assuming a Blackberry Android Slider had the same specs and price as the LG G4, there will be some users who pick the Slider. It's a niche much like the Xperia Z3 Compact or the YotaPhone. Not an enormous niche but it is what it is. Just make sure the Slider has a GUI keyboard as well.
    When it comes to sales at Best Buy, or your local favourite carrier... A Samsung branded touch capacitive pkb with actions, shortcuts, Android Lollipop and the full Google Play Store? Oh No, right, everyone hates PKB devices. They'd fail just as much as a BlackBerry branded device, lol.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-11-15 10:53 PM
    NO BlackSung for me. I want a BB10 slider with all the features of a 9810 and a fully functional Link.
    nt300 likes this.
    06-12-15 12:29 AM
    NO BlackSung for me. I want a BB10 slider with all the features of a 9810 and a fully functional Link.
    Now you're dreaming!

BB10 slider? Very possible. ALL the features of a 9810? Well, we can disagree on some, sure also possible.

A fully functional Link? Ducking forget about it!

Work Wide and Prosper
    acovey likes this.
    06-12-15 02:09 AM
    Its a good idea as long as its going to work the same as bb10 . But fully supports android apps

By that I mean same gestures same look to OS BlackBerry Hub...etc hopefully!

Though I don't want the slider... hopefully a device which looks like a slider and doesn't have a keyboard will be released (with better battery life than the S6)

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 02:15 AM
    Actually there is no good PKB Android phone. Maybe people do care about PKB, but less than for the app ecosystem (they are not willing to lose their apps, just to move to BB for the pkb). I think the slider would the perfect Android phone for BB to enter the market.
    Last edited by Soulstream; 06-12-15 at 05:21 AM. Reason: missed a word
    06-12-15 05:17 AM

Move forward.
    Try something different.

Via my HTC One M9...
    I agree 100%, I work in the auto industry who are all using either iOS and/or Android devices and when I mention Blackberry in some conversations about smartphones, the reply I always get is "who"

Sorry folks, but here in the USA, the brand is all but dead. Nobody uses PKB devices here anymore and touchscreen devices are king now.

I hear Mr Chen talk about focusing on the enterprise sector, but I don't see it here in the USA? I am active in the auto sector who have thousands of employees throughout their supplier networks and I have yet to see one Blackberry device being used by anyone here?

I think it's time for a major shift in what they are thinking, just my two cents.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and techvisor like this.
    06-12-15 05:46 AM
    If they were to release an android phone
    1) it'd most likely be a cheaper phone
    2) it wouldn't be anything crazy like sliding dual curve display, they'd probably play it more safe
    3) they'll probably make both andorid and BlackBerry os phones or that would be the only andorid phone just to prove how well bes is. If it's really successful, they'd probably release more but I don't think it'll be that big of a hit

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 08:09 AM
100 123 ...