its tradition for most OEM to announce a new version or successor of their flagship phones a year after the last flagship was announced. Blackberry as we know, has not been accustomed to this tradition, just as there was never a real Z10 successor, which most blackberry users still wanted. but now blackberry has moved on with the priv, do you think blackberry would this time announce a real successor to the Priv or they would just drop another model of android running phone with updated specs?
    04-04-16 08:29 PM
    They may not release another phone again if the priv doesn't start selling better

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-04-16 08:33 PM
    For all intents and purposes people should be of the opinion that BlackBerry is building another 2 Android devices at least. These 2 new devices could be one "mid-tier" with the off chance one might be "high end". Allegedly they're to be candy bars with one being all touch and the other being the "Vienna" (the name has been changed). All touch might be the "high end" or they're both going to be "mid-tier" devices.

A Priv 2? Probably when BlackBerry starts breaking even or turning a profit. I'm optimistic there will be many BlackBerry Android devices going forward, but for now, there's only 2 more known to be planned.

04-04-16 08:38 PM
    i certainly would not count on a Priv 2 and especially not within this years time.
    Blacklatino and Jrox74 like this.
    04-04-16 08:39 PM
    So, if the Priv interests you, don't wait for a second one that may never come to fruition. Buy the Priv that exists today because it's an awesome device of which I own 2. I can easily recommend a Priv and confidently say you'll probably love it as much as I do!

04-04-16 08:40 PM
    I'm not going to throw fuel onto these negative outlooks people have. Try to stay positive, gosh.

04-04-16 08:41 PM
    Once software and services revenue hits their stride, hardware is no more. Chen is a software guy, not hardware. Did you see his interview demonstrating the Priv, embarrassing :-(
    04-04-16 08:42 PM
    People keep forgetting how there are entities in the world who exist right now that need the BlackBerry end to end security only a BlackBerry device with BlackBerry infrastructure can provide. These entities are never going away and as long as BlackBerry can provide the only end to end solution, hardware will be available to accomplish that.

04-04-16 08:45 PM
    For Chen being a "software guy", he sure has released quite a few hardware devices! I have the entire collection of JC related BlackBerry devices.

04-04-16 08:47 PM
    i certainly would not count on a Priv 2 and especially not within this years time.
    You are more optimistic than I am.

I don't believe we'll see much, if anything on the new device end.

Why bother? They throw the device out there, no advertising, and don't even act like they give a c*** one way or another.

Should they, however, hopefully they'll address the build quality issues many have been having.

Of course, by then, the price point may well be $1200 for the device...

Just sayin'

04-04-16 08:53 PM
    I plan on using BlackBerry devices for as long as possible. I'm certain they will not stop building these fantastic devices, but regardless I intend on using these BlackBerry products I have until at least 2020. If not far beyond that because I do believe they're not going to quit and I will still have a BlackBerry upgrade path to follow.

Unless some earth shattering, mind altering innovation changes the entire "thing", I plan to use my Priv(s) or whatever, for as long as is possible.

The only other thing that might change my plan is if carriers start 5G sooner than later. Although I'm sure there will be 5G BlackBerry handsets. So, whatever.

Last edited by Nonsense Ape; 04-07-16 at 10:48 PM.
    JG_Agustin and jeanholton1 like this.
    04-04-16 08:54 PM
    I wouldn't expect one this year, may not see another BlackBerry phone. They need better sales but going to be hard with no new devices.

04-04-16 09:11 PM
    I think bbry should keep their portfolio simple. They already have the Priv. All they need now is a Classic form-factor phone and maybe a mid-range phone (like the Leap), 3 phones are enough.

laid-back and Bay 13 like this.
    04-04-16 09:14 PM
    For Chen being a "software guy", he sure has released quite a few hardware devices! I have the entire collection of JC related BlackBerry devices.

Please name them, most BB10 devices were developed by the previous CEO.
    NtotheK and Blacklatino like this.
    04-04-16 09:16 PM
    just as there was never a real Z10 successor
    there hasn't been any successor since the 9700->9780->9900, every other device was just made and then discontinued.

Highly unlikely BB will make another priv, and if they do it won't be for at least a few years, it would probably also not be a flagship model to reduce costs.
    04-04-16 10:37 PM
    Vienna would be tight.

Posted from your Mom's Priv.
    Drg84 likes this.
    04-04-16 11:14 PM
    Slim chance. They are having problems with selling the Priv at the moment. It's sad!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 11:20 PM
    Once software and services revenue hits their stride, hardware is no more. Chen is a software guy, not hardware. Did you see his interview demonstrating the Priv, embarrassing :-(
    Who cares how Chen was demonstrating the priv

04-05-16 12:05 AM
    Who cares how Chen was demonstrating the priv

Apparently plenty, he was the **** of jokes on several Priv reviews.
    triplem23, JeepBB and Blacklatino like this.
    04-05-16 12:34 AM
    I'm quite happy with the PRIV 1. No need for a 2 until BlackBerry builds other Android devices first.

04-05-16 12:40 AM
    I'm not going to throw fuel onto these negative outlooks people have. Try to stay positive, gosh.

Your optimism is out of touch with reality.

There will be no Priv 2.

04-05-16 06:17 AM
    Apparently plenty, he was the **** of jokes on several Priv reviews.
    Indeed.

According to Chen, the Priv "runs the Google".
    IndianTiwari and MooseNYC like this.
    04-05-16 06:22 AM
    not before November 2016 at least. at this point BB needs a mid-tier phone that is cheaper to make and easier to sell. no need for another high end device.
    04-05-16 08:27 AM
    One thing about BlackBerry. They are one of a very rare breed of manufacturers who don't release the same phone again and again. They are not like Apple, with a 7th generation on the horizon, same with Samsung, HTC, LG etc.

BlackBerry, release one phone, and the next phone, may have similar specs, but it will be a completely different phone. There was no Bold 9900 '2', or Z10 '2' etc etc. They may release another BB Android, but it will not be a Priv '2'.

That's why I LOVE BlackBerry, and that's why I have the Priv, because they won't be releasing another slide, PKB Android phone any time soon... They may release a PKB Android phone, but won't be anything near as similar to the Priv.
    04-05-16 08:57 AM
    After the Q3/16 call, Chen said they plan to sell the PRIV through 2017. Now, there is mention of the device formally known as Vienna and another all-touch device planned for later in the year.

So I would not expect a PRIV 2 until well into 2017.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    04-05-16 09:28 AM
74 123