Let me start by telling me a little about myself and my mum. My mum is a BB user. She first got the Z30 and she currently rocks the Passport which she loves to death. And I get to play with it as well sometimes and I love it too. It's a superb device and BB10 is awesoooome (and the keyboard types superb as well, I hardly ever have a typo!)! My mum and I are both regular customers, no business/enterprise users.

I've used in the past:
    -HP Pre 3 (portrait slider PKB)

And currently:
    -Jolla Phone (with TOHKBD for landschape slider PKB)

As you can see, I'm a slider guy lol. And I want to switch to BB10 this time around. So naturally, my eyes have fallen in love with the new BB slider (despite the screen being a bit on the big side). But I'm kinda worried about it as well. Availability is one thing, but my main gripe is all of those Android rumors. I'm coming to BB for BB10, not Crapdroid.
    I just saw in the Dutch BB Store that BB is now selling the Red LE Passport as well which is just beautiful.

In theory, I could do with the Leap since that also meets my requirements. But the lack of a PKB is holding me back on that one.

So what do you guys suggest me to do: wait for the slider (whenever it may be released) and hope it'll be launched with BB10 or don't wait up and get the Red LE Passport straight away?
    08-18-15 08:15 AM
    Wait for the slider it's worth the wait..if you don't like the os later don't get it buy a passport

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-18-15 08:27 AM
    https://n4bb.com/blackberry-venice-s...-release-date/

I too wanted to get a Passport a few weeks back (July 1st), but now I am waiting on the release of the Slider, based on the specs rumoured in the n4bb link above.

Drafted on my Q10
    08-18-15 08:34 AM
    Previous Phones:

Samsung Blackjack (portrait qwerty Blackberryesque)
    Samsung Epix (portrait qwerty Blackberryesque with Mouse Trackpad)
    Blackberry Torch 2
    Note 2
    Blackberry Classic (3 days returned)
    Note 4

I loved the Torch 2, and I liked Blackberry's OS. When my Torch 2 died, BB had nothing I wanted. So I went to Note 2 because of the big screen being a compromise (typing on smaller screens VKB sucked, Note 2 was a little better plus swyping). When I lost my Note 2 a few months ago, I tried to give the new Classic a try. The screen was small, and the phone actually ran slow the 3 days I had it, so I turned it in for the Note 4.

With that being said, when I got the Note 4 was around the time the Venice Slider rumors started going a buzz. I've been keeping tabs on the Venice Slider, and when it comes out I'm going to play with it in the store for an hour and if it gives me the experience the Torch 2 did I'm going to turn my note 4 in.

Going to the Note has been solid. Big nice screen, access to all the Android apps, and it also works with my Moto360. Classic and Passport had smaller screens, not really much app support as I wanted, and no compatibility with my Moto360.

The slider has everything I want potentially.
    • If Android, my Moto360 will work fine as will other apps I use that aren't found on BBworld.
    • A big nice beautiful screen like my Note 4, so watching videos is going to be awesome.
    • Physical Keyboard. I missed this so much for driving. I never had to look down while driving.

Years ago I wanted to get the Dell Venue Pro (big screened slider), but got the Torch 2 instead. So I'm crossing my fingers this Venice will be my new sweetheart.
    08-18-15 08:51 AM
    Yeah hold on for the passport until you know for sure how the update proces will be with BlackBerry 10.
    Could be thrown away money...

I bought one and i am verry happy i did, but i'm curious if it will at least get some updates

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 09:08 AM
    I don't really care about system updates, Ruben.

But in that case I'll may decide to wait for the slider. Hopefully it has BB10 and if it hasn't, hopefully the red Passport still available then since it's limited edition here.
    Still in a dillemma though...
    Last edited by Vistaus; 08-18-15 at 01:00 PM.
    08-18-15 11:07 AM
    I will buy slider and support blackberry!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    08-18-15 02:23 PM
    So it seems like BB is going the Android route after all with the slider. I mean: evleaks is usually right when it comes to leaking and they showed the slider with Android. Maybe I should get the Red Passport right now anyway...
    08-19-15 01:28 AM
    I've waited long enough for the Slider to come out only to find out it will be released with Lollipop. If this is true, it's a bummer! And the fact that I didn't enjoyed big android phones like Samsung notes in the previous makes it awful and worst. But of course we don't know yet what BlackBerry will release (Is there a possible BB10 version?) so I am holding on, but not mainly now for Slider, but with the upcoming option like iPhone 6s. Or maybe in the end, I'll buy a cheao BB phone for my work and a nice phone like iPhone for play.
    08-19-15 03:23 AM
    On the other hand, BB10 or not, I'm starting to kinda worry about the display as well. I mean: it's very huge for my small hands. Maybe I will go for the Red Passport today after all.
    08-19-15 05:28 AM
    I just bought the Red Passport. Is better suited for my hands than that giant 5.5" display of the slider, BB10 or not.
    08-19-15 05:54 AM
    I just bought the Red Passport. Is better suited for my hands than that giant 5.5" display of the slider, BB10 or not.
    Congrats on the decision, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'm still deciding between the Passport SE or the slider, but the more I hear about the slider the more confused I get.
    08-19-15 08:26 AM
    Congrats on the decision, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'm still deciding between the Passport SE or the slider, but the more I hear about the slider the more confused I get.
    It will be released in november, so a reveal or announcement may be comming soon.
    With that announcement we might also know what's happening with BlackBerry 10.
    So if you can wait another 4weeks...wait

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:30 AM
    Hello,

OP: I was in the same boat recently. I was a Palm Pre user and switched to an HTC EVO (big mistake), and then to a Bold 9930, and then Z10.
    I started craving a new device, even though the Z10 was (and is) great. So I was EAGERLY waiting on the slider...and then the rumors started being more consistent pointing towards Android. Then I saw a different curved screen device (and found it odd).

So, with the release of the Passport Silver edition, I started to rethink it. Originally, it didn't appeal to me. I LOVED the idea of the touch-sensitive keyboard, but the strange aspect ratio prevented me from buying one. But as the Slider news started looking less and less favorable (for me), the Passport started becoming more and more attractive.

So, I went with the Passport, and have been using it only about 5 days now, and am pretty happy with it so far. I kept my Z10, which I will switch to (T-Mobile) when I need a smaller lighter phone.

I remain very curious about the Slider, but everything is going the wrong direction for me with that.

If the Slider is an Android device it will prove to be the worst of all worlds. Android (Samsung, HTC, LG) fans won't want it, and BB10 fans won't either. It will be an orphan to all except a subset of frustrated BB fans who value hardware over software, OR the curious folks (admittedly I may be one of them).

My only hope is that if that prediction is true, it won't sink BB devices as a whole.

KAM
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-19-15 08:44 AM
    It will be released in november, so a reveal or announcement may be comming soon.
    With that announcement we might also know what's happening with BlackBerry 10.
    So if you can wait another 4weeks...wait

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I was just worried that I'd miss out on the Passport SE accessory bundle but I guess it might be worth giving that up to see what happens with the slider.
    08-19-15 11:07 PM