I got my Priv two days ago and I love it. I was looking at App security through DTEK and it says that Whatsapp has accessed Contacts 12,083 times. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-15-15 09:08 PM
    That's a little crazy if you ask me, email the dev and see what they say sending them a screen shot as proof. Sometimes it's just poor code writing. They do need to access your contacts but that's a little too much.
    11-15-15 09:11 PM
    If you have only 10 contacts, yes! you should definitely be worried... but if you have, let say, 12,000 something contacts, I guess it is normal...

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:11 PM
    Well million dollar question is what is considered an access. One time to get whole database or is it once to get the list then for each contact another 15 times for all the properties of that contact. No way to tell if it's doing just a very minor "get first name" or if these are full contact database reads
    11-15-15 09:14 PM
    Well WhatsApp needs access to you contacts to work, right? So does it really make a difference how many times the access your contacts? It's probably constantly scanning for changes (which is probably pretty inefficient).

The larger question: should I trust WhatsApp?
    The answer is probably no. They're owned by Facebook. They make a good app (especially a great BB10 app), but they're still datamining, no doubt (I would bet, anyway).

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:18 PM
    Sorry yes you are correct it does not matter from a privacy concern but badly written code possibly.
    11-15-15 09:22 PM
    Whose to say blackberry's Dtek app is 100% accurate.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:33 PM
    Make sure NONE of your apps are "running in the background."
    There is only ONE reason that they have that for...... to phone home!!!
    11-15-15 09:34 PM
    Whose to say blackberry's Dtek app is 100% accurate.

Posted via CB10
    Whose what?

It's who's..
    11-15-15 10:48 PM
    It scans your contacts repeatedly to see if there are any changes between what they have on their servers and what's on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    DirtySantos likes this.
    11-15-15 10:56 PM
    Should you trust WhatsApp?
    NO!

Posted via CB10
    DirtySantos likes this.
    11-15-15 10:58 PM
    I guess it should not.

But then, who's to say BBM™ is not doing the same. Like I have more than 100++ active BBM™ contacts. And whenever they update status, changed DP or show 'listening to', it goes updated in my feeds. Especially if it's DP changed, the app will update my contacts DP as well in the phonebook.
    I guess a social messaging app will always check on our friends for updates and constantly updating our data.

I guess WhatsApp™ is doing the same thing.

SECURED to the CORE RedBerryan PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 from Malaysia
    11-15-15 10:58 PM
    That's weird for sure. Why do they need that much information regarding a list of contacts? That's insane. I don't trust these apps at all.

I would never and have never used this 'whatsapp' BS, so I wouldn't know about how lame it actually is, I can only guess at their level of lameness by reading these DTEK posts. HA!

I don't use anything except BBM, SMS, MMS, and email. My email accounts are all very clean and I only receive email I want from all five accounts. I get zero 'dangerous spam' and have no problems managing all my email using whatever version of BlackBerry Hub I'm using - be it Android or BlackBerry 10...

I can use Android without all the hassles because of what I said in the previous paragraph. BlackBerry 10 is naturally, completely free of BS and I think I can manage to keep BlackBerry's Android completely free of BS too.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 11:40 PM