Hey there all!

I'm somewhat likely to be a new blackberry user, but I'd like to ask your experiences regarding the Blackberry Priv. I fell in love with the phone's design and I was given the opportunity to buy a barely used one for a 100$.

The reason I'm still asking for your opinion is that I don't know whether or not to upgrade to a Priv since I heard that it has numerous performance issues, and that's the reason why I'm ditching my previous phone, an LG G Flex 2.

The G Flex 2 has a Snapdragon 810 which, while stronger than the 808, is prone to overheating a lot, and also has a lower clock speed, but the bigger thing (spec wise) is that it only has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB ROM as opposed to the 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB ROM of the Priv.

I know I'm not buying a Pixel 2, I'm not expecting a flagship. I rarely play games on my phone, and if I do, it's just things that my G Flex 2 already runs perfectly. The reason I'm thinking of upgrading (other than the design and the keyboard which would be a dream come true to me in such a form factor), is that my current phone is prone to lag when I watch YouTube and type in Messenger at the same time (Which is like 90% of what I do on my phone).

I want to have realistic expectations. My G Flex 2 didn't do this when I got it. Is it reasonable to assume that the +1 GB of RAM, more space on the phone itself, and the fact that it runs Marshmallow as opposed to Lollipop will give me a more favorable performance than my current phone? If the answer to that is "yes" or "most likely" than I could buy the phone for this price in 2 days, if it's a "no" I'll most likely skip it. Such a shame there aren't any unique phones like the LG G Flex 2 or the Blackberry Priv today.

Thank you in advance!
    A most-likely-soon-to-be blackberry user
    01-21-19 03:53 PM
    Based on your laid out criteria, you won't gain anything from a Priv. They too were prone to overheating. If you buy a Priv, you're basically getting similar problems in a different package.
    allrond likes this.
    01-21-19 03:59 PM
    $100 for a barely used one isn't a bad deal, considering it's to this day the only slider smartphone.

However, first of all, it stopped receiving any security updates for like 1 year and 4 months.

Second, the 808 processor still sucks, it's slow as hell and it takes a bit of optimizing and going easy on the phone to get 4-5hrs of screen on time.
    You can also forget about navigating with Google Maps.

Third, it'll always be stuck on Marshmallow, which is not nearly as crippled as BB10, but still kind of sucks since newer versions of Android have much better power management (something the Priv DEARLY needs).

Aside from those shortcomings (which have been discussed extensively in the forums), it's a nice device.

I'd double carry it, either with an external power bank or another phone.

My real recommendation would be to get a KEY2 or KEY2 LE.
    If those are out of your price range, you can pick up silver KEYone and even black ones for pretty damn cheap these days, as in $150 range or so.

I would trust a KEYone any day over the Priv, performance and endurance wise.
    allrond likes this.
    01-21-19 04:15 PM
    Thank you for the detailed answer the_boon, and also thank you for the summary B1aze, your honesty means a lot to me.

I find the Key2 to be an excellent device, but sadly just not for me, as I mostly use the phone for multimedia consumption. Most likely that's what got to me in the Priv, because in theory, it should be a good balance between multimedia usage (thanks to a good AMOLED screen), and productivity with the keyboard. Sadly I've yet to find any phone other than the Priv that could provide both of these.

I'm still leaning towards purchasing it, rather than sticking with my LG G Flex 2 until there's a Priv 2 or some other curver/wierd phone that I could buy.

One concern that I never thought about though is what you said about navigation (E.g. Google Maps). I'm not having any problems with Google Maps on my Flex 2, is the difference between the 810 and the 808 that drastic, that not even the +1 GB of RAM can save it? Or ar we just talking about overall not steallar performance.
    01-21-19 04:34 PM
    Thank you for the detailed answer the_boon, and also thank you for the summary B1aze, your honesty means a lot to me.

I find the Key2 to be an excellent device, but sadly just not for me, as I mostly use the phone for multimedia consumption. Most likely that's what got to me in the Priv, because in theory, it should be a good balance between multimedia usage (thanks to a good AMOLED screen), and productivity with the keyboard. Sadly I've yet to find any phone other than the Priv that could provide both of these.

I'm still leaning towards purchasing it, rather than sticking with my LG G Flex 2 until there's a Priv 2 or some other curver/wierd phone that I could buy.

One concern that I never thought about though is what you said about navigation (E.g. Google Maps). I'm not having any problems with Google Maps on my Flex 2, is the difference between the 810 and the 808 that drastic, that not even the +1 GB of RAM can save it? Or ar we just talking about overall not steallar performance.
    GPS navigation just doesn't play nice with the Priv. The slowness and battery drain are significant.

You'd think the Priv would make for a better multimedia device than the KEY phones, but while it does have a bigger and nicer OLED screen, the 808 processor is THAT bad and battery life will suck with just about anything you throw at it, aside from basic apps that are easy on the CPU/GPU.

I owned 5 different Priv's, and tweaked them extensively to get the most battery endurance out of them, and they would go to 5.5hrs SOT at best, but usually hover around 4.5hrs.

I ended up giving up on that phone and just went to KEY2's and LE's and haven't looked back.

If the Priv had ANY other processor than that awful 808, I might be using it intermittently with my KEY device or even switch to it once in a while.
    01-21-19 11:26 PM
    Hey there all!

I'm somewhat likely to be a new blackberry user, but I'd like to ask your experiences regarding the Blackberry Priv. I fell in love with the phone's design and I was given the opportunity to buy a barely used one for a 100$.

The reason I'm still asking for your opinion is that I don't know whether or not to upgrade to a Priv since I heard that it has numerous performance issues, and that's the reason why I'm ditching my previous phone, an LG G Flex 2.

The G Flex 2 has a Snapdragon 810 which, while stronger than the 808, is prone to overheating a lot, and also has a lower clock speed, but the bigger thing (spec wise) is that it only has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB ROM as opposed to the 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB ROM of the Priv.

I know I'm not buying a Pixel 2, I'm not expecting a flagship. I rarely play games on my phone, and if I do, it's just things that my G Flex 2 already runs perfectly. The reason I'm thinking of upgrading (other than the design and the keyboard which would be a dream come true to me in such a form factor), is that my current phone is prone to lag when I watch YouTube and type in Messenger at the same time (Which is like 90% of what I do on my phone).

I want to have realistic expectations. My G Flex 2 didn't do this when I got it. Is it reasonable to assume that the +1 GB of RAM, more space on the phone itself, and the fact that it runs Marshmallow as opposed to Lollipop will give me a more favorable performance than my current phone? If the answer to that is "yes" or "most likely" than I could buy the phone for this price in 2 days, if it's a "no" I'll most likely skip it. Such a shame there aren't any unique phones like the LG G Flex 2 or the Blackberry Priv today.

Thank you in advance!
    A most-likely-soon-to-be blackberry user
    There is good and bad with every device. My fellow Crackberrians have highlighted the deficiencies the Priv has at this time .

If you like the look of the device , and are prepared to accept it's shortcomings, then go for it because otherwise you will be left wondering and for 100 dollars if you don't like you could sell and perhaps get your money back.
    allrond likes this.
    01-22-19 01:01 AM
    Every device has some positive or negative points. You can choose the device on usability and price best. Compare phone device with ammount or specification and review provide users then purchase it.
    allrond likes this.
    01-22-19 03:59 AM
    I'm still a PRIV user. While the PRIV does have its issues, I have yet to find to suitable replacement.
    Either you have to give up a full-sized display, or the PKB. Neither of those options are really appealing to me, especially considering I have to pay to lose one of those features.
    I'd say go for it, at that price it's worth it for magical form factor.
    allrond likes this.
    01-22-19 09:52 AM
    I'm still a PRIV user. While the PRIV does have its issues, I have yet to find to suitable replacement.
    Either you have to give up a full-sized display, or the PKB. Neither of those options are really appealing to me, especially considering I have to pay to lose one of those features.
    I'd say go for it, at that price it's worth it for magical form factor.
    Well, you could get an iPhone SE or 6/6S/7/8 and slap a Typo PKB cover to have both a 16:9 display AND the keyboard.

I currently have the iPhone SE and Typo gen 1 set up, and it's nothing to write home about.

I'd be using it if was the only option for a PKB, but since we currently have the KEY devices it makes no sense for me to go with that.

The balance in the hand isn't great and the keys are super LOUD, as in each key much louder than the KEY2's spacebar
    allrond likes this.
    01-22-19 11:44 AM
    I want to have realistic expectations. My G Flex 2 didn't do this when I got it. Is it reasonable to assume that the +1 GB of RAM, more space on the phone itself, and the fact that it runs Marshmallow as opposed to Lollipop will give me a more favorable performance than my current phone? If the answer to that is "yes" or "most likely" than I could buy the phone for this price in 2 days, if it's a "no" I'll most likely skip it.
    Since it's still on the 808/810 platform, the answer is "at best it's a sidegrade". Save the $100 and put it towards something newer.
    allrond likes this.
    01-22-19 12:22 PM
    Thank you, everyone, for the answers.

I've been given the opportunity to demo the phone for 1 week, so that should give some time to find out if the change is worth it for me. I also just realized that having the phyical keyboard in QWERTZ or QWERTY is a functional, and not a cosmetic choice, so that should narrow down my search criteria in the future as well, should there ever be a Priv 2 (And I hope, just like a lot of Priv users on this forum, that there will be).

It's great to have this kind of support from fans of a brand, I never had this experience with my LG phones or back when I used Windows Phone on my Lumia 520. I hope Blackberry continues it's adventures going forwards in the 2020s.
    BlackBerryKingdom likes this.
    01-22-19 01:30 PM

I've been given the opportunity to demo the phone for 1 week, so that should give some time to find out if the change is worth it for me. I also just realized that having the phyical keyboard in QWERTZ or QWERTY is a functional, and not a cosmetic choice, so that should narrow down my search criteria in the future as well, should there ever be a Priv 2 (And I hope, just like a lot of Priv users on this forum, that there will be).

It's great to have this kind of support from fans of a brand, I never had this experience with my LG phones or back when I used Windows Phone on my Lumia 520. I hope Blackberry continues it's adventures going forwards in the 2020s.
    Welcome among us CrackBerry people!
    02-15-19 05:53 PM
    There is good and bad with every device. My fellow Crackberrians have highlighted the deficiencies the Priv has at this time .

If you like the look of the device , and are prepared to accept it's shortcomings, then go for it because otherwise you will be left wondering and for 100 dollars if you don't like you could sell and perhaps get your money back.
    It's worth it guys!! <3
    02-24-19 10:20 AM

That's because blackberry is the bomb ;P
    02-24-19 04:38 PM
    That's because blackberry is the bomb ;P
    As in, the Priv can get so hot it'll explode?
    02-24-19 04:45 PM