Out of interest, for somebody who isn't particularly tech savvy, what are the advantages of factory unlocked compared to SIM unlocked?
    Factory-unlocked devices get their updates directly from BlackBerry instead of having to wait for the carrier to release them.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    totaldynamic likes this.
    10-24-15 10:03 AM
    Only 5 left on UK blackberry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    10-24-15 10:07 AM
    Only 5 left on UK blackberry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    No there are 351 left currently.
    10-24-15 10:13 AM
    The US is a bit slower than that - before they shut down the stock information - it seemed to be about 90 per hour. The UK is absolutely glacial - it is 106 over the last sixteen hours but that is front-loaded and the current rate is about 4 per hour or one every 15 minutes.

Did anyone find out the CAN numbers?
    I gave you the Canadian numbers earlier. Canada was buying about 2 phones per minute, or about 120 phones per hour. You have to also remember that initial sales have to be substantially stronger because after a month or two post launch, the sales will most likely start to drop notably. They'll have to sell a good chunk of that 5m in the first 3 months of sales.
    cgk likes this.
    10-24-15 10:21 AM
    I gave you the Canadian numbers earlier. Canada was buying about 2 phones per minute, or about 120 phones per hour. You have to also remember that initial sales have to be substantially stronger because after a month or two post launch, the sales will most likely start to drop notably. They'll have to sell a good chunk of that 5m in the first 3 months of sales.
    And it was pretty much at the same time that we got to know it's $100 cheaper at Rogers outright.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-24-15 10:24 AM
    And the fact that Apple told the public it was available.
    Might have something to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    twbtr likes this.
    10-24-15 10:25 AM
    And it was pretty much at the same time that we got to know it's $100 cheaper at Rogers outright.
    In addition to the excess price, this is one of the reasons why I am opting to sit this one out. BlackBerry is asking for too much premium with very little certainty.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-24-15 10:31 AM
    I would be waiting for the reviews to come in. Camera? Lag? Keyboard? Etc.

I would want to know how this device stacks up vs Samsung etc.

Privacy? Is this a verifiable attribute?

We wait.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 10:31 AM
    In addition to the excess price, this is one of the reasons why I am opting to sit this one out. BlackBerry is asking for too much premium with very little certainty.
    Currency isn't doing it any favours. If it was $799 not from a carrier even with the $699 USD price, I would've went ahead.
    10-24-15 10:33 AM
    Sorry chum I seem to have missed that - thanks

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    10-24-15 10:46 AM
    Currency isn't doing it any favours. If it was $799 not from a carrier even with the $699 USD price, I would've went ahead.
    Interesting to see how they play it - most android flagships see offers and price cuts about six weeks in. I picked up a LG G4 on a one day deal for �220 on Thursday so that is coming down rapidly.
    10-24-15 10:48 AM
    Interesting to see how they play it - most android flagships see offers and price cuts about six weeks in. I picked up a LG G4 on a one day deal for �220 on Thursday so that is coming down rapidly.
    Well it's just how the Canadian market works. Your example of the LG G4 is only available at the carriers, and they never drop the no-contract price, at most "promotional" offers which means shifting part of the upfront price to the "subsidy" which is the the financed part. But if you cancel you still pay the full original launch price. FWIW the carriers here still sell it for $700 CAD. Heck even the Passport is going for $749 at the carriers. Only a handful of phones are available direct from manufacturers, namely Apple, Microsoft Nokia, BlackBerry and formerly Sony. And some off-brand phones like Blu.

This ogliopoly is not doing the telco market here any favours.
    cgk likes this.
    10-24-15 11:08 AM
    Well it's just how the Canadian market works. Your example of the LG G4 is only available at the carriers, and they never drop the no-contract price, at most "promotional" offers which means shifting part of the upfront price to the "subsidy" which is the the financed part. But if you cancel you still pay the full original launch price. FWIW the carriers here still sell it for $700 CAD. Heck even the Passport is going for $749 at the carriers. Only a handful of phones are available direct from manufacturers, namely Apple, Microsoft Nokia, BlackBerry and formerly Sony. And some off-brand phones like Blu.

It's doing them good. Which is all they care about.
    10-24-15 11:10 AM
    Both PC World and the Verge issued articles about the Priv's availability. Fortune magazine released an 'article' that was critical of the launch pricing.

So, it's not just people who subscribe to Marty Beard's Twitter feed that know the Priv is available for order. There will be plenty of people waiting for comprehensive unbiased (not CrackBerry or other BlackBerry fan sites) reviews, so when those start coming out, if they're positive there will probably be an uptick in sales.

If they're not positive, well, patience is a virtue that will pay off with clearance prices on the Slider, within a few months.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-24-15 11:18 AM

Nexus is available. The Google store gives great service. Have not heard any horror stories like we have heard with Digital River. You can even talk to a person or chat online.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 12:53 PM
    I just discovered this thread...

If it's true that BlackBerry is only selling 4 devices per hour in the UK that would be a really bad sign... :-(
    I am also surprised that they only started with 500 devices in the UK and about 1.000 in the USA and Canada, or did I get something wrong? I mean that's like nothing! How are they ever going to achieve their goal if sales are that low? ...

Does anybody know how the Priv pre-order sales compare to the Passport launch? The Passport wasn't successful so the Priv sales should be noticeably higher than the ones for the Passport if the Priv should become a success...
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-24-15 01:26 PM
    Sad to hear these numbers of sale. Really wish to sell 10x more than this. There is a fault that they should accept, no MARKETING, no LAUNCH EVENT, even not Videos that shows it features and functions.

So maybe comparing to these facts, there is VERY GOOD SALE!?
    10-24-15 01:38 PM
    Where do you guys get those numbers of sales from? Curious..

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 01:45 PM
    Nexus is available. The Google store gives great service. Have not heard any horror stories like we have heard with Digital River. You can even talk to a person or chat online.

Posted via CB10
    I had a friend who tried to return a defective Passport. The new one was assessed duty and brokerage. ShopBB said they will reimburse him and they did... 6 months later.
    10-24-15 02:31 PM
    TOTALDYNAMIC: If you buy from a carrier, such as Rogers, for 799 currently, you would need the phone 'UNLOCKED' to say travel to Europe and stick a local pre-paid Sim card in (having removed the Rogers sim ) Unlocking a phone typically costs 30-40 CD. In addition (and of no interest to me) you may get speedier updates from BB directly if you have bought an unlocked phone from them for 899 currently, and you won't see the Carriers logo upon starting up the phone. This seems to upset a cohort of users for some reason.
    10-24-15 03:56 PM
    Sad to hear these numbers of sale. Really wish to sell 10x more than this. There is a fault that they should accept, no MARKETING, no LAUNCH EVENT, even not Videos that shows it features and functions.

So maybe comparing to these facts, there is VERY GOOD SALE!?
    No marketing yet. No launch event yet. Here's an official video though:

10-24-15 04:16 PM
    I just discovered this thread...

If it's true that BlackBerry is only selling 4 devices per hour in the UK that would be a really bad sign... :-(
    I am also surprised that they only started with 500 devices in the UK and about 1.000 in the USA and Canada, or did I get something wrong? I mean that's like nothing! How are they ever going to achieve their goal if sales are that low? ...

Does anybody know how the Priv pre-order sales compare to the Passport launch? The Passport wasn't successful so the Priv sales should be noticeably higher than the ones for the Passport if the Priv should become a success...
    You forgot about carrier sales

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 04:17 PM
    You forgot about carrier sales

Posted via CB10
    Yep, the Priv was on pre-order at Carphone Warehouse in the UK a week before Shop BlackBerry - the mega impatient of us (like me) would have already ordered before it was on Shop BB.
    10-24-15 04:21 PM
    I remember there was a thread like this for the Passport as well. Don't know where it is; but, the PRIV definitely isn't blowing open the doors.

EDIT: Here's one of the ShopBlackberry comparison threads; but this was one month after the Passport release. PRIV is, of course, handily beating Passport due to the dates from release but it gives an idea of how fast Digital River sales usually go.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ry-com-973847/

Thread about Passport being out of stock on ShopBlackberry the day of release. No numbers.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ources-961700/
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 10-24-15 at 04:42 PM.
    10-24-15 04:27 PM
    Yep, the Priv was on pre-order at Carphone Warehouse in the UK a week before Shop BlackBerry - the mega impatient of us (like me) would have already ordered before it was on Shop BB.
    Let's be precise about this, there are no carrier sales in the UK, The problem with "well its been on pre-order with Carphone Warehouse" is that CPW have a pretty s**ty rep so some people would have avoided them because of the games they play.

Even if we accept that CPW will have soaked up a lot, I really cannot see how 160 sales on the website in nearly two days can be spun as anything but pretty terrible.

It's getting into desperate territory to pretend otherwise and is a sign people are retreating into the "sold out at selfridges" days - in the past because we haven't been able to get these numbers people have been able to say "oh man, I bet the passport sold thousands on its first day!" but here we have numbers - so yeah the carrier sales are obviously going to be higher but if this phone are as hyped as people claimed... 160?
    Last edited by cgk; 10-24-15 at 04:42 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-24-15 04:30 PM
144 12345 ...