That is not true. iPhone is easily the least customizable and it was king for a while.... still 2nd place by a long shot. Its public perception, it doesn't matter what is actually better or cheaper in the end. Some celebrity wearing some ultra tight jeans admired by the majority sets the trend. We are a hive minded species and the outliers are either trendsetters or irrelevant.
    LOL ..the iphone is the most sold device from when it was release to today...ios is not number 1....also they are number 1 in profit..get the facts straight.
    09-12-15 09:53 AM
    Indeed! And even if BlackBerry puts the data on their own secure servers, Google still has direct access to your phone if it runs android.
    There is a reason why you cannot control permissions on Android apps. Google and the NSA do not want you to!
    Android M allegedly has app permissions that can be toggled.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    09-12-15 01:26 PM
    It's surprising that they sold that many passports given that there was no advertising and everybody got it unlocked directly from shopblackberry.
    Chen made absolutely no effort to sell handsets. You can pretty much argue that he set it up intentionally to fail!
    Most Passport owners in the UK got it on contract.

09-12-15 01:28 PM
    The slider is expected to have a 5.4 inch screen, putting it in between the S6 Edge (5.1) and the S6 Edge+ (5.7).
    I don't buy that rumour. I don't think samsung is going to develop and build a batch of completely new screens for a Brand like blackberry that nobody knows if is going to even exist in the near future.

I'm assuming that the slider just borrows one of the screens that samsung already builds for the s6 edge, because why make the slider more expensive by asking a bespoke screen just for 3 inches?

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and tufcustomer like this.
    09-12-15 01:58 PM
    I don't buy that rumour. I don't think samsung is going to develop and build a batch of completely new screens for a Brand like blackberry that nobody knows if is going to even exist in the near future.

I'm assuming that the slider just borrows one of the screens that samsung already builds for the s6 edge, because why make the slider more expensive by asking a bespoke screen just for 3 inches?

Posted via CB10
    It has not been confirmed that Samsung is supplying the screens.

09-12-15 03:14 PM
    I agree with that logic based on existing products, however as of "4 days ago", "Samsung is also expected to reboot the Galaxy Note Edge when it introduces the Note 5. The curved screen is rumored to measure 5.4 or 5.5-inches, and sport two edges."

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date and price (NEW FEATURES)
    09-12-15 05:04 PM
    It has not been confirmed that Samsung is supplying the screens.

But's been confirmed that Blackberry and Samsung are in a Partnership. And what company makes curved AMOLED screens like samsung does? Only LG, and the ones they showed, have a different curve to the samsung's one. And If LG for example decided to make it to the phone business, they would introduce it with their products for advertising reasons, not with Blackberry.

Someone has to make the curved screen for the Slider (and for sure isn't blackberry), so who's your guess for the screen? Don't you think that the screen looks incredibly similar to the S6 Edge? Looks pretty much "in your face" that the screen has 99% of chance of being a samsung screen. They are pretty much the only ones in the business for high end AMOLED screens, especially if you add curved edges to it.
    09-12-15 05:16 PM
    I agree with that logic based on existing products, however as of "4 days ago", "Samsung is also expected to reboot the Galaxy Note Edge when it introduces the Note 5. The curved screen is rumored to measure 5.4 or 5.5-inches, and sport two edges."
    +
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date and price (NEW FEATURES)
    It's weird since they released the S6 Edge+, wich is has the 5.5inch screen wich would look very similar to a Note Edge, with the difference of not using a Pen like the note does. Maybe they will introduce some new features if this rumours turns out to be true.
    09-12-15 05:19 PM
    One reason I am buying this phone is because like you said it's extremely likely it is a samsung AMOLED and that imo is the best looking screen these days as they have made improvements to their panels every year in power efficiency and higher brightness. LG amoled screens are not up to par as seen on their LG Gflex 2 with bad uniformity and low brightness.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-12-15 05:44 PM
    One reason I am buying this phone is because like you said it's extremely likely it is a samsung AMOLED and that imo is the best looking screen these days as they have made improvements to their panels every year in power efficiency and higher brightness. LG amoled screens are not up to par as seen on their LG Gflex 2 with bad uniformity and low brightness.
    LOVE the brightness on my note 4, that'll be gone when I get this...
    09-12-15 06:41 PM
    Why are we so sure that it is Samsung screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because Blackberry and samsung have a partnership.

And look at the screen. Wich devices in the market have a similar looking screen? You guessed right, only samsung is making those screens.

So who else would be making a bespoke screen to showcase in a Blackberry phone, a brand that nobody cares about?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 10:04 PM
    We're not so sure, but although LG showed off a dual edge curved screen back in January, so far, only Samsung has produced a device with one.
    09-12-15 10:06 PM
    Who made the Passport screen. It is unique. BlackBerry must have partners who make screens already. Just hate to be pigeon holed into a samsung scren because we see curved edges.

I am not ignorant either. I understand that it very well could be Samsung glass.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 10:10 PM
    Quite obvious BlackBerry is waiting for Android 6.0 marshmallows to be released which is September 29th(same day the new line of Nexus devices are coming to market). So I have no reason to doubt we wont see this Venice slider revealed a few days after, or at Code/Mobile Oct 7-8 in California..

Think about it, they don't want to take anyones spotlight(IFA = numerous android devices), early sept = iPhones, end of Sept = Nexus.. so early October we will see this finally get revealed. No doubt about it.

Just a month away... we'll make it, I know some of us are fiends lol.
    It seems their biggest competition is Windows Phone 10. That's the third place, enterprise-friendly competitor. By waiting, don't they risk having their momentum stolen by MS' unveiling of the two new Lumia flagship phones with retina scanning and such?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 06:27 AM
    I remember waiting for the Z10 BlackBerry was just a little late to the 4G party. Millions purchased IPhone to get 4G while BlackBerry was building a PlayBook which I happen to own. I'm waiting for the PlayBook 2 haha

It seems their biggest competition is Windows Phone 10. That's the third place, enterprise-friendly competitor. By waiting, don't they risk having their momentum stolen by MS' unveiling of the two new Lumia flagship phones with retina scanning and such?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 08:26 AM
    Who made the Passport screen. It is unique. BlackBerry must have partners who make screens already. Just hate to be pigeon holed into a samsung scren because we see curved edges.

I am not ignorant either. I understand that it very well could be Samsung glass.

Posted via CB10
    But we talking about an Amoled curved screen here, not your run of the mill LCD.

Of course nobody knows for sure if it's Samsung, but it's almost certain it is.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 08:42 AM
    However, seems like were only getting one colour in Canada(might the wrong), who knows. unless BlackBerry pulls a Note 5 move and only launches one colour and will probably release others down the road(BOO if that's the case, I find this super annoying).
    I don't mind black, but I hope we at least get wireless charging unlocked one up here. Thanks US, AT&T and Verizon and your stupid fondness of carrier exclusivity.
    09-14-15 09:30 AM
    You realize every company is capable of going through our information and every move right. To think otherwise is being naive. Be it iOS, Android, Windows, BB10. Hell even with the other OS like Linux, why work so hard to develop an OS and invest so much money to do so, only to hand it out for free? There has to be a catch. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I know. That's why I never upgrade my Linux OS until I buy a new laptop. I gave up on widows as a dual boot for that reason in about 2005.
    I never allow the OS developer access to my laptop for updates (at least not that I know of)
    You are right, but at least in theory, Debian Linux is built by volunteers.
    It's true that there are NSA volunteers working there as well...
    I pay for my apps, Internet access, and laptop, therefore, I expect and demand that the provider is not justified to steal any data from me. I do not ask for it (app, OS, service) to be free.
    09-15-15 05:33 AM
    Most Passport owners in the UK got it on contract.

I am talking about the first month when they supposedly got over 300,000 sold through shopblackberry unlocked.
    09-15-15 05:36 AM
120 ... 345