Hi,
    Security is one major reason why i got the priv. OK the data is crypted but I'm doubting it since the phone uses Google applications for the photos, browser, files...Google Chrome synchronizes all the searches. I deactivated the synchronization but still.
    So is my data really secured?
    02-19-17 06:46 AM
    PRIV and DTEK devices have built in security in the kernel Re hardware. Although Android powered they can't be rooted. To me that is a secured as you can't get "inside".
    02-19-17 07:22 AM
    Hi,
    Security is one major reason why i got the priv. OK the data is crypted but I'm doubting it since the phone uses Google applications for the photos, browser, files...Google Chrome synchronizes all the searches. I deactivated the synchronization but still.
    So is my data really secured?
    I believed Google servers are as secured as anyone's. Glad that they aren't Yahoo's. However, you may have a legitimate concern with privacy.
    02-19-17 08:12 AM
    That's privacy you're worried about, not security.

And unless you're on Yahoo then you should be fine.
    02-19-17 08:30 AM
    Privacy leads to security.
    So you're saying your data is safe with Google, is it really the case?
    02-19-17 09:16 AM
    If you are on the Internet your data is never 100% safe. Just watch what you do. I don't trust Google or anyone else
    Wezard likes this.
    02-19-17 09:37 AM
    If you are on the Internet your data is never 100% safe. Just watch what you do. I don't trust Google or anyone else
    I don't trust Google either. It's just that I've been using BlackBerry devices for years and i was expecting BlackBerry Internet Explorer and everything managed by BlackBerry apps. It's the one thing that disappointed me with the priv
    02-19-17 09:46 AM
    Turn off sync for all thing google and you're good to go. I did it that way
    02-19-17 09:48 AM
    BlackBerry touts security, but most of what they proffer is from acquisitions of other companies...

So to speak, BlackBerry hasn't existed anymore for some time.
    02-19-17 09:50 AM
    I guess that depends on how much privacy you want. Google probably won't be sharing your passwords or email address with total strangers. They probably won't share your credit card numbers. But who knows what they do with all the information they gather as you visit different webpages - like health links - do you have diabetes or cancer or shortness of breath or are you looking because someone else has those issues? Do you want them to even know and retain that you looked at such info? Are you looking at stock market quotes and values or particular stocks? What might Google do with that type of information? Do I really want Amazon to publicize Product B and C because I looked at a similar Product A on their site? Would I prefer that they just forget what I looked at earlier today or a week ago? Those might be PRIVACY concerns for some folks and others don't care. Are they also SECURITY issues?

In the "old" days, BB might have had and kept similar information about our usage but they were not trying to sell anything. Google is trying to show ADS from companies that have things you might be interested in seeing. Definitely different - or, at least, I think so!
    02-19-17 09:54 AM
    Define "safe".

Security is guarding against rogue apps, weak authentication (including passwords), third parties that want to siphon data from either the end user or the provider of services. Google hasn't been the subject of Yahoo-scale data breaches, and threats to the platform instead focus on the right mix of gullibility and outdated software on the part of the user. A combination of good passwords, an up-to-date OS, and half a brain can defuse the vast, vast, vast majority of threats like this.

Privacy is what happens to data once it's in the fiefdom of the service provider, which is the sticky bit. Google doesn't disclose data outside their domain without a warrant, but what it does inside its domain is the pressure point for whenever this comes up on CB. The tradeoff for providing Google with location data, GMail heuristics, etc. is the services that Google provide (mail sorting, syncing all the things, etc.), which are very enticing. Most people out there see the math compute in their favor, but that's probably a minority on CB anyway.

Privacy could lead to security, yes, but security does not lead to privacy. True privacy is almost impossible in the current day, especially when one looks beyond software providers and starts worrying about ISPs and governments. The user must consider what they get out of this data transaction; with the health of the Google ecosystem the rewards are quite good.

I don't trust Google either. It's just that I've been using BlackBerry devices for years and i was expecting BlackBerry Internet Explorer and everything managed by BlackBerry apps. It's the one thing that disappointed me with the priv
    I like that they aren't rocking the boat with their Android customizations, since whenever they leave their core competency (email and related) they end up reinventing the wheel but worse.
    02-19-17 10:00 AM
    That's privacy you're worried about, not security.
    Which is why the name Priv is so funny. They should have went with Sec instead.
    02-19-17 11:36 AM
    Which is why the name Priv is so funny. They should have went with Sec instead.
    There is stuff like DTEK (which was more useful before moving to Marshmallow which has fine grained permission control), but that's for non-Google/BlackBerry apps. Those are excluded.
    02-19-17 12:01 PM
    There is stuff like DTEK (which was more useful before moving to Marshmallow which has fine grained permission control), but that's for non-Google/BlackBerry apps. Those are excluded.
    DTEK was never particularly impressive. By the time the Priv was released there were Android ROMs that could not only notify you that a permission was being used, but ask if you'd like to block it on a case by case basis.
    BlackBerry never really properly communicated that DTEK didn't work with Google Apps.
    Throw in optional features like Google Now with its constant location tracking, and the first BlackBerry named after Privacy was the least private BlackBerry they had ever released.
    02-19-17 01:00 PM
    Throw in optional features like Google Now with its constant location tracking, and the first BlackBerry named after Privacy was the least private BlackBerry they had ever released.
    If you define Google as one of the bad guys, and find its ToS unacceptable, then, and only then, is your statement true.

If one chooses to have a Google device, and enjoy its many apps and services, this is probably not an accurate definition.
    02-19-17 01:31 PM
    Thank you guys for your specific answers, this is what i was afraid of, BlackBerry will never be the same. But fortunately i still love the priv !
    02-20-17 11:40 AM
    Don't use any of the Google apps. You aren't forced to use them, you know. There are plenty of other options.
    02-20-17 11:50 AM