The BlackBerry Priv is being marketed as a secure device. And from my understanding it is one of the better secured smartphones.

My question is: if one happens to use the SAME email account(s) on the Priv, as on an another Android or iOS tablet, your data really isn't secure, is it?

I know it is secure while on the Priv, but isn't there a compromise if said account(s) is on other devices?

Help me understand...

Sent via my BlackBerry Priv
    11-13-15 01:40 PM
    If you're using a free Email service, you have no real security on your device. Its not end-to-end security that is the problem, it is the data traffic between the devices and the servers. You really have to define your definition of "compromised". What does this mean to you? Are you talking about someone accessing your Emails by hacking into your account?
    11-13-15 01:45 PM
    Information that comes and goes from and to your device are dependent on the various providers of those services, not BlackBerry. Your email is governed by your email provider. Calls and sms use your carrier's network, whatsapp uses its own protocols and encryption. Etc.

Security means your device has some protections in place so no one can tamper with your OS, break into your phone, or rip information off your memory chips. The Priv has very good implementations of these features.

Privacy means your personal information is only made available to those you wish to access it. DTEK on the Priv warns you of privacy violations so you can delete the app in question. With the upcoming Marshmallow update, you will be able to modify the permissions too.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-13-15 01:50 PM
    Privacy means you are made aware of what information your apps are attempting to access.

Sorry...have to disagree. Privacy is actually having your information remain private, not informing you afterwards that it was compromised - which is exactly what the Priv does. Why it's named the Priv I'll never understand.
    11-13-15 01:53 PM
    Sorry...have to disagree. Privacy is actually having your information remain private, not informing you afterwards that it was compromised - which is exactly what the Priv does. Why it's named the Priv I'll never understand.
    I was in the middle of editing my post when this appeared.

To your point, I agree. Although DTEK, even without Marshmallow, is still useful. If your flashlight app is trying to access your location in the middle of the afternoon, at least you are made aware of it and can delete the app. This is a very big step in the right direction.

But yes, this will only be a complete solution when we get the M update.

11-13-15 01:56 PM
    I was in the middle of editing my post when this appeared.

To your point, I agree. Although DTEK, even without Marshmallow, is still useful. If your flashlight app is trying to access your location in the middle of the afternoon, at least you are made aware of it and can delete the app. This is a very big step in the right direction.

But yes, this will only be a complete solution when we get the M update.

And what is M going to bring to android? I know very little about android os, I'm just curious about marshmallow! thanks
    11-13-15 02:05 PM
    And what is M going to bring to android? I know very little about android os, I'm just curious about marshmallow! thanks
    The pertinent thing to this DTEK conversation is that it will allow granular app permission control similar to BB10.

Last edited by conite; 11-13-15 at 02:57 PM.
    11-13-15 02:06 PM
    Android M is designed to be the culmination of a security build. Throughout ICS, Jellybean, KitKat, and Lollipop, Android has incrementally added security functionality to accommodate security features. Ie.. the revoking of apps to be able to access or modify files on the SDCard owned by other apps, Adding screenshot functionality but with the added ability for app developers to disable the ability to do so within their apps (like banking apps), allowing app developers to limit which other apps can utilize the Share With gateway, etc.. all of which culminate in Android M which also finally brings granular app permissions as defined by the end-user. Other items as well, like a hardened kernel by default (though I believe SELinux was adopted in Lollipop, could be mistaken though). All in all, Android M development was focused around bringing all the security features added in the last few versions together.

My guess is that Android N (I'm hoping it's called NutterButter) will be the next OS update that addresses UI interaction again (KitKat was the last to do it).
    mohawk apple likes this.
    11-13-15 02:53 PM
    It has to be this way. You gave permission for the app to run. You don't want apps you gave permission to, to be intercepted by DTEK and prevented from working as intended. If you don't like it, remove the app.

The responsibility to install apps you want is still on you, it's not going to make a malicious app function without malice. That's an unreasonable expectation.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 03:34 PM
    I'm certainly learning a lot here...
    11-14-15 06:58 AM