Hey guys, does the Priv offer a secure device reset and erasure in the same vein as BB10 (which could take quite awhile)? I see the option in the settings, but it seems like a standard Android feature.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 12:49 PM
    Hey guys, does the Priv offer a secure device reset and erasure in the same vein as BB10 (which could take quite awhile)? I see the option in the settings, but it seems like a standard Android feature.

Posted via CB10
    It is, but since the Priv uses FDE (full device encryption) by default an erase is basically a reformat where the (former) key is gone.

Good luck recovering anything once you do that; it's effectively extremely secure out of the box unless you shut device encryption off (which I do NOT recommend.)

The same is true with BB10 IF you encrypt the device. "Secure wipe" is not necessary in that case.
    11-13-15 01:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it really matters because the Priv encrypts the whole device out of the box so I would think once it's erased it's gone. I could be wrong though.
    11-13-15 01:02 PM
    It is, but since the Priv uses FDE (full device encryption) by default an erase is basically a reformat where the (former) key is gone.

Good luck recovering anything once you do that; it's effectively extremely secure out of the box unless you shut device encryption off (which I do NOT recommend.)

The same is true with BB10 IF you encrypt the device. "Secure wipe" is not necessary in that case.
    No wonder initial starting with the phone takes so long and makes it hot.
    11-13-15 01:04 PM
    Ahh very good. This is the way I usually erase my SSDs anyway. Sounds like a non-issue, though I wonder if it meets any sort of higher level compliances (i.e. military or hippaa, though those probably require device destruction).

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 01:08 PM