Been reading ppl having issues with their 32GB SD Cards - pictures not deleting from Priv when using 3rd party apps.

I have the same issue with a 32GB SD card and also when I tried with a 2GB card - I can take a picture but I cannot delete any of the pictures from the SD card via a 3rd party app. I can only do so with the Priv Camera app to do so. When I try to do with a 3rd party app, says read-only. No problem when connected to PC, and formatted using SD Card's official formatter program - no difference.

Is anyone having the same issue with their SD card that is 32GB and smaller? Is it software or hardware?
    11-12-15 10:10 PM
    I've seen BlackBerry is aware and working on a fix.
    11-12-15 10:30 PM
    Try using FAT32 for now.
    kertong likes this.
    11-12-15 10:46 PM
    Wouldn't a 32 and 2gb already be in fat32?
    11-12-15 10:48 PM
    Wouldn't a 32 and 2gb already be in fat32?
    Would depend on if it was formatted exFAT or not.
    11-12-15 11:02 PM
    It's already in FAT32 - did it through Windows and then through SD official formatter program. Card had no issues when I used it in a Note 4 or the Passport
    11-12-15 11:05 PM
    It's already in FAT32 - did it through Windows and then through SD official formatter program. Card had no issues when I used it in a Note 4 or the Passport
    That is unusual. Are you able to delete photos using the Photos app by using the "..." menu and then "delete from device" ?
    Have you tried from a file manager such as ES File Explorer or similar? (granting appropriate permissions following the instructions the app provides)
    11-12-15 11:08 PM
    Also, can you let me know which 3rd party apps you are trying?
    11-12-15 11:08 PM
    Also, can you let me know which 3rd party apps you are trying?
    I can take a picture with the camera - camera gallery app I can delete.
    3rd party app e.g. Piktures - cannot delete; if I use QuickPic - I can delete, but when I try to edit the pic and save it - it does not allow me ("load failed).

I tried ES File Explorer and X-plore - cannot delete unless I grant writing access to external memory card. But when I reboot - same thing.

This applied to both my 32gb and a 2gb card - never had this problem with Note4, Z1 or Passport for the exact same cards

I was thinking of exchanging my Priv for another one - but I don't think its a hardware problem at all - doesn't appear to be
    11-12-15 11:20 PM
    I can delete photos without problem from my 128GB card formatted to exFAT - I'm using Quick Pics as a photo viewer
    11-12-15 11:23 PM
    I can delete photos without problem from my 128GB card formatted to exFAT - I'm using Quick Pics as a photo viewer
    Have you tried editing a pic and saving it via Quick Pic or dl Piktures and seeing if you have the same problems as I do?
    11-12-15 11:25 PM
    I can take a picture with the camera - camera gallery app I can delete.
    3rd party app e.g. Piktures - cannot delete; if I use QuickPic - I can delete, but when I try to edit the pic and save it - it does not allow me ("load failed).

I tried ES File Explorer and X-plore - cannot delete unless I grant writing access to external memory card. But when I reboot - same thing.

This applied to both my 32gb and a 2gb card - never had this problem with Note4, Z1 or Passport for the exact same cards

I was thinking of exchanging my Priv for another one - but I don't think its a hardware problem at all - doesn't appear to be
    Those 3rd party apps must not be making use of the Android Storage Access Framework. Android (5.1 and possibly older) requires the external SD card to be locked down until the user explicitly grants write access via the same interactive file-picker mechanism that the file managers advertise.
    The apps you are using are most likely accessing the files via the image database on-device, and are not aware of the storage location of the files, so do not know that they have to use the SAF to request write access. I have seen this same behaviour on other phones with similar apps.

BB10 devices managed permissions to the SD card differently than Android.
    11-12-15 11:28 PM
    Those 3rd party apps must not be making use of the Android Storage Access Framework. Android (5.1 and possibly older) requires the external SD card to be locked down until the user explicitly grants write access via the same interactive file-picker mechanism that the file managers advertise.
    The apps you are using are most likely accessing the files via the image database on-device, and are not aware of the storage location of the files, so do not know that they have to use the SAF to request write access. I have seen this same behaviour on other phones with similar apps.

BB10 devices managed permissions to the SD card differently than Android.
    So is it my understanding then that this is software issue and not a hardware issue? How come didn't have that problem on Note 4 (granted I used the default apps that came with it).

What apps would you recommend then or that you use for pictures and editing? Do I just have to wait for those apps to be updated to Lollipop - that's pretty bad when Marshmallow is already out.

Appreciate your assistance
    11-12-15 11:33 PM
    So is it my understanding then that this is software issue and not a hardware issue? How come didn't have that problem on Note 4 (granted I used the default apps that came with it).

What apps would you recommend then or that you use for pictures and editing? Do I just have to wait for those apps to be updated to Lollipop - that's pretty bad when Marshmallow is already out.

Appreciate your assistance
    If you are using the built-in apps on the Note4, then they most certainly have special permissions, the same way the camera app on PRIV is allowed access to the SD card. PRIV ships with the Google Photos app as the default picture viewer, and it is also intended to have access to delete the files, but does not have an editor built in.

This is a tricky situation right at the moment, since 3rd party apps CAN access the SD card (like file managers), but it's likely that not many image editing apps are aware of the environment enough to request the correct write access. If anyone is aware of one, please share! The developers of those apps should probably be quite aware of this situation on other Android devices, and I would suggest providing feedback to them via Google Play or similar.

In the meantime, using internal storage for photos that you need to edit is what I would suggest. You can either save them there initially, or use a file manager to move them around if you need to edit.
    I personally tend to keep my photos on-device (also more secure this way), and only move them to the SD card when I need to make more room, such as when I'm traveling and bring a couple SD cards along. If I need to record lots of video, I will switch over to saving to the SD card, since video can eat up space much quicker.

Hope this helps.
    11-12-15 11:58 PM
    If you are using the built-in apps on the Note4, then they most certainly have special permissions, the same way the camera app on PRIV is allowed access to the SD card. PRIV ships with the Google Photos app as the default picture viewer, and it is also intended to have access to delete the files, but does not have an editor built in.

This is a tricky situation right at the moment, since 3rd party apps CAN access the SD card (like file managers), but it's likely that not many image editing apps are aware of the environment enough to request the correct write access. If anyone is aware of one, please share! The developers of those apps should probably be quite aware of this situation on other Android devices, and I would suggest providing feedback to them via Google Play or similar.

In the meantime, using internal storage for photos that you need to edit is what I would suggest. You can either save them there initially, or use a file manager to move them around if you need to edit.
    I personally tend to keep my photos on-device (also more secure this way), and only move them to the SD card when I need to make more room, such as when I'm traveling and bring a couple SD cards along. If I need to record lots of video, I will switch over to saving to the SD card, since video can eat up space much quicker.

Hope this helps.
    Well, what doesn't make sense is that QuickPics can delete pictures but not edit and save. Another app, cannot delete pictures but can edit and save. File managers require me to give permission for them to access the sd card....did not have this problem with Note 4 (just tried it).

Any chance this could be a hardware issue?
    11-13-15 07:27 AM
    Well, what doesn't make sense is that QuickPics can delete pictures but not edit and save. Another app, cannot delete pictures but can edit and save. File managers require me to give permission for them to access the sd card....did not have this problem with Note 4 (just tried it).
    I will take another look at this early this week and confirm the behaviour for you.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-15-15 05:47 PM
    I have the same issue..unable to delete anything from my 8gb sd card on the priv

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-16-15 07:07 AM