I had a notification that my sd card had been removed and I needed to unmount it. I looked for unmount/sd card settings and couldn't find anything in settings for sd card. Removed card and reinserted, still nothing. Restarted device, nothing. Downloaded file manager app, it let me create a file and save to sd card. Then a few things showed up but not my 14 gb is music. Tried BlackBerry virtual expert it says no sd card.

Any ideas? I will remove card and check in pc when I get home but wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the priv?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-09-16 10:05 AM
    Sounds like the card is no longer recognized by the phone. Could be a faulty card. I would try in a PC and see if you can save files off to your PC. Then reformat the card again in your phone and move files back. Or better yet, get a new card.
    06-09-16 10:18 AM
    I had a notification that my sd card had been removed and I needed to unmount it. I looked for unmount/sd card settings and couldn't find anything in settings for sd card. Removed card and reinserted, still nothing. Restarted device, nothing. Downloaded file manager app, it let me create a file and save to sd card. Then a few things showed up but not my 14 gb is music. Tried BlackBerry virtual expert it says no sd card.

Any ideas? I will remove card and check in pc when I get home but wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the priv?

Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ry.exfat&hl=it
    06-09-16 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the link. Is this app necessary for any of the new high speed sd cards? My current one that's having issues is a 32 gb that I had in my Z10 before the priv. I already bought a new 128 gb card bit hadn't transferred data to it yet.

06-09-16 12:27 PM
    Thanks for the link. Is this app necessary for any of the new high speed sd cards?

I don not know but u can try it and see if it works optimizing the reading of ur sdcard. On my Priv solved a problem: i was not able to delete any files from sdcard; after installation, BINGO! Good luck
    06-09-16 01:44 PM
    That driver is generally required for larger cards. I THINK 64 and above. But it won't hurt to install it anyway.

How long have you used the "transferred" card in the Priv? For a while and it is now acting up or a more recent change? The file/folder structure is different on the Priv (android) and maybe the card needs to be formatted in the Priv AFTER you backup, if possible, all your unique data to computer.

Good luck.
    06-09-16 01:44 PM
    That driver is generally required for larger cards. I THINK 64 and above. But it won't hurt to install it anyway.

How long have you used the "transferred" card in the Priv? For a while and it is now acting up or a more recent change? The file/folder structure is different on the Priv (android) and maybe the card needs to be formatted in the Priv AFTER you backup, if possible, all your unique data to computer.

Good luck.
    I've had my PRIV about 6 weeks. Card was in from day one but I didn't format it and reload files. I'm guessing it's a card issue. But I will try the app and the format. Then I will at least know if it's worth trying the card in another device. The card is about 3 years old. Might just be eol.

FF22 likes this.
    06-09-16 02:57 PM

The mount / unmount is in system settings - storage. Down towards the bottom.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-09-16 03:56 PM
    The mount / unmount is in system settings - storage. Down towards the bottom.
    It's definitely not in there. Must only show up when sd card is properly recognized.

Does it ruin something if you don't unmount it before removal?

06-09-16 06:10 PM
    It's definitely not in there. Must only show up when sd card is properly recognized.

Unlike the prior BB10 devices, where you could hot swap the sd card (there was NO UNmount command), it is recommended that you use the UNmount process before removing the card. You may also have to MOUNT when it has been inserted. It is kind of like "safely remove" with thumb drives in Windows Computers.
    06-09-16 08:30 PM
    The Priv has a history of issues doing this to sd cards. It usually happens to the larger cards. 64 and above. Priv is much more finicky than Samsung, which accepts anything. I've gone back and forth with BlackBerry for weeks and tried several 128 g cards. Now they tell me the card is too slow and I should go out and buy a new card. That's Bull S+*t
    Maybe they should have warned people from day one that it does not work with all cards. Exfat is only for 64 g + sd cards. Don't need it for 32g. It will work in your computer. I guarantee it!

06-09-16 09:33 PM
    If you don't unmount it properly, it will still show up when you insert it again, but it will be listed as "corrupted", and android will ask you if you want to format it. This happened to me yesterday with my 128gb SanDisk card.

On my linux laptop, fdisk said that the card had its "dirty bit" set, and that it wasn't unmounted properly. (I had, in fact, just unmounted it properly from another android device, but whatever.)

Running "fdisk -a" fixed the dirty bit, but the PRIV still claimed it was corrupted.

I removed the card, rebooted the phone, mounted the card on my laptop, copied a file to it, unmounted it and then put it back in the freshly rebooted phone. Finally it worked.

Throughout all of this, the PRIV always recognized the card when inserted. It either saw it as working or corrupted. But it was always listed there, under settings -> storage and USB.

I don't have any special drivers installed.

In your case, OP, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe a faulty phone, or a faulty SD card, or the card isn't seated properly, or they just don't like each other.

Sorry I can't be any help - I just wanted to let you know what the "normal" experience looks like.

Komet86 and FF22 like this.
    06-10-16 07:41 AM
    I have discovered a number of SD card issues on Priv. Most of which are due to the fact that there are differences between Android and BB10 that take some getting used to; especially when you encrypt the SD card as I do. Here are a few I have discovered (in no particular order):
    1. Install the Microsoft exFAT driver from Playstore before trying any card.
    2. Make sure the card is seated properly in the tray prior to insertion.
    3. To get your computer to recognize the card as a mass storage device, make sure you select one of the file transfer options from your device notifications (top of screen) upon plugging it in to your computer.
    4. Make sure you have installed the latest Priv driver from the BlackBerry website before attempting to plug in to your computer.
    5. If choose to encrypt the SD card, make sure you choose "transfer files" option from the menu when you do so; otherwise your computer will only "see" the device memory and think there is only total of 32GB available when you connect it.
    6. Once the "transfer" is complete your device will once again recognize the encrypted SD card as a card and not internal memory, and you can now use it as such including the camera App, moving files, etc.
    7. If you update your OS you will corrupt the encrypted card and have to start all over. I even had to remove it and format in a PC to get it to recognize it again. Major pain in the ***. I suggest going to the storage/usb menu and make sure all apps are moved from your sd card to your device memory, and backup your photos etc before running any system updates.
    8. If for any reason you remove your encrypted SD card do not choose "forget" option as you will lose all your data permanently!

Hope this helps a few people out.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    06-10-16 08:32 AM
    If you don't unmount it properly, it will still show up when you insert it again, but it will be listed as "corrupted", and android will ask you if you want to format it. This happened to me yesterday with my 128gb SanDisk card.

On my linux laptop, fdisk said that the card had its "dirty bit" set, and that it wasn't unmounted properly. (I had, in fact, just unmounted it properly from another android device, but whatever.)

Running "fdisk -a" fixed the dirty bit, but the PRIV still claimed it was corrupted.

I removed the card, rebooted the phone, mounted the card on my laptop, copied a file to it, unmounted it and then put it back in the freshly rebooted phone. Finally it worked.

Throughout all of this, the PRIV always recognized the card when inserted. It either saw it as working or corrupted. But it was always listed there, under settings -> storage and USB.

I don't have any special drivers installed.

In your case, OP, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe a faulty phone, or a faulty SD card, or the card isn't seated properly, or they just don't like each other.

Sorry I can't be any help - I just wanted to let you know what the "normal" experience looks like.

Well, neither my pc nor priv will even register when I insert my old. 32 gb sd card. It's verbatim brand which is probably what I get for buying cheap cards on sale.

Is there a good program to recover my pictures off of it?

My new SanDisk 128 gb card seems to be working fine so far.

06-10-16 10:51 PM