Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I just deleted a couple of dozen photos and videos from my SD card via the file manager: Solid Explorer.
    They seem deleted from my phone, yet when I hook-up my phone to my laptop (Windows 10) and go to the the photo folder (SD Card---->DCIM---->Camera) the previously deleted photos/videos are all still there (see attachment). The thumbnails do not show previews any longer and I cannot open them (see pop-up in my attached picture).Yet right-clicking on any of the deleted files show the original file size. When I delete the previously deleted files manually via my laptop, ONLY then storage space on the SD card comes free again.

Is this a bug, a setting I missed, or why is this happening?
    SD Card Issue: Deleted Photos/Videos are not really deleted and still take-up space-sdc_2016-01-09_203449.jpg
    Last edited by WT44; 01-09-16 at 02:20 PM.
    01-09-16 01:45 PM
    Hi WT44,

No it's not a bug it's the way files usable are deleted. What's changes is the first two characters of the file an usable the place where they have been put. What you would like to do, is being reached by using a file shredder like Power Tools or some other file administration program which is able to overwrite the complete file and it's space on your sd card. Only then your phone thinks it's free space again.
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-09-16 03:49 PM
    When I went to the photo app that came with the Priv I discovered that when I click on the left hand 3 lines at the top then there is a drop down list of folders including trash. When I open trash there are the deleted pics. It says they will be removed permanently after 60. I recovered a couple that I decided to keep.

Posted with my Priv via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-09-16 04:47 PM
    Hi WT44,

No it's not a bug it's the way files usable are deleted. What's changes is the first two characters of the file an usable the place where they have been put. What you would like to do, is being reached by using a file shredder like Power Tools or some other file administration program which is able to overwrite the complete file and it's space on your sd card. Only then your phone thinks it's free space again.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

When I do the same with my Bold 9900 and delete stuff from the SD card via the phone and also when I change folder/file names and then hook-up my phone to my laptop later, everything I deleted is NOT still there and folder names ARE changed.

With the Priv no changes are carried trough when connecting to a PC and you basically have to delete and rename everything twice.

Pretty unproductive when you have to do all the work twice.

I also do not understand why many thumbnails don't show previews when accessing the photo folders on my SD card via a computer.

It seems arbitrary which thumbnails show previews and which don't.
    Last edited by WT44; 01-12-16 at 05:43 AM.
    01-12-16 05:01 AM
    Could it be a cache file? I noticed if I deleted pics with fstop they still appeared in solid but would not open.. Clear cache and reset phone and they seem to be gone now

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    01-12-16 05:10 AM
    What file manager app are you using? I noticed that some apps allow you to move files to a "recycle bin" type of feature which allows you to restore later, maybe that's what your app is doing?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-12-16 06:25 AM
    I don't think this is a Priv issue. I have Solid Explorer too, did the same thing you did, delete a picture and got the same results.

However, I deleted another picture using F-stop (in the same SD CARD/DCIM/CAMERA folder as Solid Explorer) and it disappeared right away. So I'm pretty sure it's something that Solid Explorer is doing, possibly what irweezyy is saying about " move files to a "recycle bin" type of feature which allows you to restore later"
    WT44 likes this.
    01-12-16 10:20 AM
    I'll just leave this little guy here: http://www.androidcentral.com/lollip...rks-kind-youll
    01-12-16 11:10 AM
    This article doesn't apply here since Priv runs Lollipop.
    Had the wrong one copied, sorry about that. Fixed.

The problem started with Kitkat though, for security reasons. It's exactly as cyberadje said above.
    SD Cards have always been a hot-button issue with Google. It's been a rollercoaster ride--their relationship.
    I don't claim to know or understand it in the least, but in KitKat SD cards limited apps from just plotting their random folders and files all over the place, instead of their designated folder. This made write access stricter, and all hell broke loose in the Samsung camp (arguably what used to be the main manufacturer of Android phone with SD card slots). I feel like with every Android release, Google changes something about SD cards. In Marshmallow 6.0, to get rid of this mess altogether (perhaps?), SD cards can now be integrated into internal device memory; the catch is they can no longer be removed once integrated.
    01-12-16 11:17 AM
    I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

When I do the same with my Bold 9900 and delete stuff from the SD card via the phone and also when I change folder/file names and then hook-up my phone to my laptop later, everything I deleted is NOT still there and folder names ARE changed.

With the Priv no changes are carried trough when connecting to a PC and you basically have to delete and rename everything twice.

Pretty unproductive when you have to do all the work twice.

I also do not understand why many thumbnails don't show previews when accessing the photo folders on my SD card via a computer.

It seems arbitrary which thumbnails show previews and which don't.
    Nope, Cyberadje is 100% right.

It's how all hard drives work. Nothing from storage media is actually erased until the drive is full and something copies over that file. A file shredder is needed. That's why police can recover "erased" files from computers. They weren't really erased.

On your 9900 the OS did a full job of hiding this fact from you. But that is what was happening behind the scenes. It was just a more seamless process.

Posted via CB10
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-12-16 03:20 PM
    Nope, Cyberadje is 100% right.

It's how all hard drives work. Nothing from storage media is actually erased until the drive is full and something copies over that file. A file shredder is needed. That's why police can recover "erased" files from computers. They weren't really erased.

On your 9900 the OS did a full job of hiding this fact from you. But that is what was happening behind the scenes. It was just a more seamless process.

Posted via CB10
    True. That's also why people bring their HDDs and SD cards to stores hoping to recover data they've lost.

OP, if you are looking to shred everything, try searching for apps like DroidShredder and similar. I used to use those when selling my devices on Swappa before and after factory resets.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-12-16 03:56 PM
    I don't think you guys are understanding what the OP's particular problem is (unless I am misunderstanding it).

He's not addressing the security aspect of how files are "not actually erased" from storage devices, he's saying that the file still ACTUALLY shows up in file explorer. He's worried if he keeps deleting files that it's not actually freeing up space. The security issue definitely exists but that's not what this post is about. I think irweezyy and midnightdom got it right partly right when he mentioned something about maybe Solid File Explorer is using some sort of recycle bin or cache to temporarily delete files.

As mentioned in my post above, I also used f-stop to delete files, also MX-player, and the files delete right away.
    My guess is that when you tell SFE to delete something, it tells the OS that it's been deleted, but does not actually update the file system. That's why it's viewable on your computer. It probably does this because if you perform multiple file actions, it may wait until the OS or SD card is idle and does all of the operations at once to increase efficiency/reduce power usage, similar to a cache on a hard disk.

So I've done some more tests. Deleted more files in SFE, rebooted device, when device came back, files were gone. Now I'm going to delete more files in SFE, and see how long they remain visible in Windows before they disappear (if at all).
    WT44 likes this.
    01-12-16 04:55 PM
    I don't think you guys are understanding what the OP's particular problem is (unless I am misunderstanding it).

He's not addressing the security aspect of how files are "not actually erased" from storage devices, he's saying that the file still ACTUALLY shows up in file explorer. He's worried if he keeps deleting files that it's not actually freeing up space. The security issue definitely exists but that's not what this post is about. I think irweezyy and midnightdom got it right partly right when he mentioned something about maybe Solid File Explorer is using some sort of recycle bin or cache to temporarily delete files.

As mentioned in my post above, I also used f-stop to delete files, also MX-player, and the files delete right away.
    My guess is that when you tell SFE to delete something, it tells the OS that it's been deleted, but does not actually update the file system. That's why it's viewable on your computer. It probably does this because if you perform multiple file actions, it may wait until the OS or SD card is idle and does all of the operations at once to increase efficiency/reduce power usage, similar to a cache on a hard disk.

So I've done some more tests. Deleted more files in SFE, rebooted device, when device came back, files were gone. Now I'm going to delete more files in SFE, and see how long they remain visible in Windows before they disappear (if at all).
    Bingo. 10 points for you, sir.
    You found out more in regards to your tests as mentioned in the last paragraph?

I'm not a native speaker in English, so maybe my openings post wasn't clear to some, but you hit the nail on the head exactly with everything you said.

I don't need files to be deleted beyond recovery. I just don't want to see them when hooking up my phone to my computer. Also, I just want to see the folder names changed when I previously did so via the phone.

- Solid Explorer doesn't seem to have a recycle bin.
    - Do other file explorers have the same issue as SE has re: the matter?
    - Thanks for the Tip on F-stop. I downloaded the premium version and files are indeed deleted when I later hook-up my phone to the computer. However, It seems that F-stop does not have a possibility to rename folder names (like QuickPic)????
    - With QuickPic you can click and hold any folder and rename it. However, when hooking-up the phone later to a PC, folder name is unchanged and pics inside not accessible. ----> This can be fixed when taking out the SD card from phone and using an adapter to connect to PC----> You see edited folder name and photos can be opened again. When sliding SD card back in phone and hooking-up to PC again, only then folder name is changed and files accessible.

Conclusions:
    - SE (or other file managers?) do support changing folder names. However, when hooking-up phone to PC, folder names remain unchanged and files within are not accessible any longer.
    - This is only recoverable when taking out SD card from the phone, putting it in SD adapter, and connecting to PC. When you then put SD card back in the phone slot and hook-up phone to PC again, only then you see the folder name changed.

-SE (or any other file manager?) do support deleting files. However, when hooking-up phone to PC, deleted files are still there, yet not accessible. You have to manually delete them to delete them permanently----> double work load.

- F-stop does support image deletion. When hooking-up phone to PC files are indeed deleted (or at least not seen whether one hides files in the folder settings (advanced settings) or not)-----> this is the way SE (or other file managers) should work. Why can't this be done?
    - Problem with F-stop however is that there isn't a way to rename folders. Quickpic supports it, however, folder names remain unchanged when hooking-up to PC like I said. Solution: taking-out SD card from phone, using adapter, connecting, re-insert to phone.

====> Still don't have a clue why SD card needs to be taken out of phone and hooked-up to PC via adapter in order for changes to be applied.
    01-16-16 11:02 AM
    Sorry, I've been meaning to post but kinda forgot about this thread.

I haven't found a fix for SE yet. I deleted a file, and over the next 2 days checked if it was still there and .it was. When I restarted my Priv, then the files were no longer seen when I hook up to the PC via USB. I'm going to try some other tests and if results are the same, I am going to contact SE support and maybe they can figure out exactly why. I know for sure it has to be some sort of SD file access API that SE and Quickpic are using to talk to Lollipop, but why aren't other programs having this issue?
    WT44 likes this.
    01-18-16 02:12 PM