I recall from a few weeks ago, that using this "memory scheme" there was some limitation? Rummaging around the gray matter - was it - you could not move the card to another device or something like that. So if photos/music/docs were stored there, you could not pull the card and put it into a reader and copy that data???

Again, I don't clearly recall what the limitation was!
    02-06-16 09:44 AM
    I recall from a few weeks ago, that using this "memory scheme" there was some limitation? Rummaging around the gray matter - was it - you could not move the card to another device or something like that. So if photos/music/docs were stored there, you could not pull the card and put it into a reader and copy that data???

Again, I don't clearly recall what the limitation was!
    The limitations are if you make the card part of the device memory it's encrypted to the device so it can't be read by any other device AND if it's removed the device will probably become unstable.

Below is a link to a relevant article on Android Central.

http://m.androidcentral.com/inside-m...ptable-storage

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582: Sachesi to 10.3.1.2744 to 10.3.2.680 to 798 to 2204 to 2339 to 2639 to 2789 to 2813 to 2878-2814 Hybrid
    02-06-16 12:24 PM
    The limitations are if you make the card part of the device memory it's encrypted to the device so it can't be read by any other device AND if it's removed the device will probably become unstable.

Below is a link to a relevant article on Android Central.

http://m.androidcentral.com/inside-m...ptable-storage

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582: Sachesi to 10.3.1.2744 to 10.3.2.680 to 798 to 2204 to 2339 to 2639 to 2789 to 2813 to 2878-2814 Hybrid
    This correct, it has its pros and cons for sure.

BlackBerry Z30 (10.3.2)
    02-06-16 12:42 PM
    DanP and Randal

Thanks. So one should obviously not set this new "memory" up casually. One could lose data that is stored on the card if the card has to be transferred to another device for whatever reason including, the original phone goes bad and needs replacement or one just wanted to copy their music to a computer using a card reader.
    02-06-16 01:58 PM
    Someone seems to say otherwise. Apparently there are two versions of this card.

[Amazon.ca] Lexar 633x MicroSDXC 64GB @ 29.99 + Free Shipping - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
    I have that card on my priv, I install speed test app if anyone wants. I've seen a few speed test in the internet and it's not far from U3 cards, but is kinda cheap
    02-06-16 02:45 PM
    Sounds like one should just stick to installing apps and games as well as Camera pics+vids in Internal and then using external for media (music, movies, documents, back ups etc...), thats how I did it in old Android with the GS2, how I did it between Android 4.0 and 5.1 and how I will do it in 6.0 up.

32GB is becoming the new 16GB standard and I am betting many top ends in 2016 much like the LG V10 and top Huawei Mate 8 variant will come with 64GB internal.

Got a 128GB U1 SanDisk, "upto 80MBs read" for my Note 4, and its doing a good job for my media stuff.

If you want to 128GB U3 then the Samsung Pro+ MicroSDs are your best bet, they are crazy expensive though.
    02-06-16 02:58 PM
    Sounds like one should just stick to installing apps and games as well as Camera pics+vids in Internal and then using external for media (music, movies, documents, back ups etc...), thats how I did it in old Android with the GS2, how I did it between Android 4.0 and 5.1 and how I will do it in 6.0 up.

32GB is becoming the new 16GB standard and I am betting many top ends in 2016 much like the LG V10 and top Huawei Mate 8 variant will come with 64GB internal.

Got a 128GB U1 SanDisk, "upto 80MBs read" for my Note 4, and its doing a good job for my media stuff.

If you want to 128GB U3 then the Samsung Pro+ MicroSDs are your best bet, they are crazy expensive though.
    U3 is only really affordable in the 64gb range right now, but its pretty cool to merge it and if you got the pro+ pergaps even see better speeds than on the on board storage.

Ultimately the thread is just to help inform people of the importance of a U3 micro sd card for merging with 6.0. I hope you find it helpful.

BlackBerry Z30 (10.3.2)
    02-06-16 04:14 PM
    U3 is only really affordable in the 64gb range right now, but its pretty cool to merge it and if you got the pro+ pergaps even see better speeds than on the on board storage.

Ultimately the thread is just to help inform people of the importance of a U3 micro sd card for merging with 6.0. I hope you find it helpful.

BlackBerry Z30 (10.3.2)
    It was indeed helpful Randal, even those of us who try stay abreast with most tech tend to overlook these sorts of things, until we run into an issue and realise it.
    02-06-16 05:12 PM
    Hate to rain on the U3 lovefest but I would definitely suggest you get a U1 card ONLY, at the memory size you need, with the highest read/write speed possible. I tried a brand new U3 card for a month (Silicon Power Superior Pro Series), had nothing but problems: corrupted card on restart or reboot, "this card not supported" error, java script errors when formatting, spontaneous notifications the card had been removed (when it hadn't). All in all, I tried everything - even tried it in two different Privs, checked for correct seating in the tray, reformatted the card on PC several times...same issues always came back. Tried same setup with other cards, even much slower / older cards, no similar issues. Since it came out of a new retail package, I would say the chances it is the card are slim to none. No issues reading and writing to a PC either. Even the Qualcomm website says Snapdragon 808 supports U1 sd card (no mention of U3). Therefore I would recommend to anyone to not get a U3 card for a Priv unless you have seen someone posting here verified working on the Priv model you are using. And yes I also had Microsoft exFat installed on the Priv. I'm putting this U3 into my SLR camera instead. Good luck.
    06-17-16 11:54 AM
    I purchased the Sandisk UHS-1/U3 128GB microSD card (see link below) a couple of weeks ago for my new Priv and it has been working flawlessly so far. Items on the microSD card include a TomTom Go App map, as well as photos taken with camera and a Priv recorded 4K video. The Microsoft exFAT app is installed on my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DY...UvbUpU12476858

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    gizmo21 likes this.
    06-20-16 02:17 PM
    Interesting...have you tried rebooting or powering down and up again yet...Lollipop or Marshmallow? Anyway I ended up going with Sandisk Ultra 128 and I'm on Marshmallow. So far so good

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    Last edited by kputock; 06-20-16 at 05:59 PM.
    06-20-16 05:16 PM
    Hate to rain on the U3 lovefest but I would definitely suggest you get a U1 card ONLY, at the memory size you need, with the highest read/write speed possible.

Even the Qualcomm website says Snapdragon 808 supports U1 sd card (no mention of U3). Therefore I would recommend to anyone to not get a U3 card for a Priv unless you have seen someone posting here verified working on the Priv model you are using. And yes I also had Microsoft exFat installed on the Priv. I'm putting this U3 into my SLR camera instead. Good luck.
    Wrong, please be precise if you suggest these things:
    Snapdragon is capable of UHS-I and not interface UHS-II. That's something different then speedclass U1 or U3, it is capable to support speedclass U3:

/blackberry-priv-f440/good-sdxc-card-priv-need-input-1074482/

I have no trouble with a UHS-I / U3 card and the high write speed is very welcome even in standard pluggable sd-card mode (but you have to decide if speed any lifetime guarantee is worth the extra money):

/blackberry-priv-f440/good-sdxc-card-priv-need-input-1074482/#post12459208

So my advice is definitely to buy U3 card which only means min 30MB/s+ write speed and if you transfer a lot to the SDcard even look at write speeds up to 80MB/s (which also have the label U3).
    Last edited by gizmo21; 06-20-16 at 05:59 PM.
    06-20-16 05:48 PM
    I will ask you the same question then...Lollipop or Marshmallow, and how many times have you rebooted and or powered down the phone? Because I definitely did have the card "working" ...for me at least it was mainly a stability issue and eventually I would run into one the problems I described. Of course there is a chance it is a hardware/compatability issue, perhaps Blackberry should start an SD card "approved vendor" list instead of having find us find out which cards work (or don't) by trial and error.

06-20-16 06:23 PM
    I will ask you the same question then...Lollipop or Marshmallow, and how many times have you rebooted and or powered down the phone? Because I definitely did have the card "working" ...for me at least it was mainly a stability issue and eventually I would run into one the problems I described. Of course there is a chance it is a hardware/compatability issue, perhaps Blackberry should start an SD card "approved vendor" list instead of having find us find out which cards work (or don't) by trial and error.

Marshmallow June SecPatchLevel.

SD Card advice: Buy a U3 Class 10 SD Card-uploadfromtaptalk1466486382255.jpg

And together with the restart just now before this copy operation it should be 5-6 restarts with sd-card (every "accurate" test with A1 SD Bench needs a full restart any I did some of them).

So I can say my SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDXC 64GB UHS-I U3 card works flawlessly in PRIV (not at 100% write speed of card but 75% at 65-70MB/s at least in the benchmark - haven't tested with a manually stopwatch copysession )
    06-21-16 12:28 AM
    Good to know, thanks for posting the info. Hopefully it keeps working for you. I think I will try that utility on the Silicon Power U3 card I had been testing in my Priv.

06-21-16 08:32 AM
    So just for fun I ran A1 SD Bench app on my (encrypted) Sandisk Ultra 128 (max 80MB/s) UHS-1/U1 and netted a result of 73.02 MB/s read and 18.26 MB/s write. Doesn't seem like your U3 version of the card is helping much. Based on that, I'm not sure why people would advise to go out and get a U3 card that is going to cost more, not necessarily be any faster, and potentially encounter compatability and/or stability issues?

06-21-16 09:18 AM
    Well the key is your 18MB/s write vs. my 65MB/s write. If you just need read speed go with the cheaper model. I never said everyone needs to get a fast U3 (minimum 30MB/s writespeed) model, I just wanted to point out one could and it's working (contrary to your post). And in the other thread there are others that also didn't have problems with U3 cards. So potentially you can have probs with any card, that's why I asked for known working models in the other thread.

U1 on your model means minimum 10MB/s writespeed so 18MB/s is quite good.
    06-21-16 02:24 PM
    Doesn't making the SD card for internal storage make it useless to use on other devices unless you format it first?

06-21-16 02:39 PM
    Doesn't making the SD card for internal storage make it useless to use on other devices unless you format it first?

Yes, that is correct. That is how I was formatting (as internal) but then I selected the 'transfer files' option so the system still treated it like an SD card. I do not believe anyone who has confirmed a U3 to be working said whether or not they were encrypting the card.

06-21-16 07:32 PM
    Well the key is your 18MB/s write vs. my 65MB/s write. If you just need read speed go with the cheaper model. I never said everyone needs to get a fast U3 (minimum 30MB/s writespeed) model, I just wanted to point out one could and it's working (contrary to your post). And in the other thread there are others that also didn't have problems with U3 cards. So potentially you can have probs with any card, that's why I asked for known working models in the other thread.

U1 on your model means minimum 10MB/s writespeed so 18MB/s is quite good.
    I guess I missed your posted write speed. My point is there are obviously physical limitations on the read/write speed that are hardware driven. And certainly a speed and timing mismatch when it comes to memory products especially can lead to errors. In my case I suspect my card was not being properly identified by the system, which caused it to malfunction. So if those types of issues exist people should be wary and not assume U3 card is the best solution and indeed whether the actual performance is even worth the trade off (or the risk).

In terms of write speed, I can also verify that writing my 16 GB music library using my new U1 card (Sandisk Ultra) took less time than my previous U3 card (Silicon Power).

Last edited by kputock; 06-21-16 at 07:49 PM.
    06-21-16 07:35 PM
    Well I mentioned in the other thread that I have used pluggable (so NO encryption) method.
    Perhaps your Silicon Power is just not working properly: try test it on an PC with fast USB/Cardreader with http://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539
    06-22-16 01:06 AM
    Tried the utility on the Silicon Power U3 card you recommended (thanks)...no errors. Interestingly the write speed maxed out at only 16.6 MB/s and that was using a USB 3.0 card reader. Perhaps the lesson here is stick with Sandisk. Cheers

Last edited by kputock; 06-23-16 at 09:13 AM.
    06-23-16 08:55 AM
    Thanks for tips here. Purchased a Samsung 128gb class 10 U3 which is running perfectly in my PRIV. Have moved somme apps to the card and battery goes better! Great Priv!

Posted via Passport SE Maximus Productivity
    07-21-16 01:17 PM
    Yes, that is correct. That is how I was formatting (as internal) but then I selected the 'transfer files' option so the system still treated it like an SD card. I do not believe anyone who has confirmed a U3 to be working said whether or not they were encrypting the card.

The Sandisk 128GB U3 microSD card in my Priv is not encrypted. Though as of today it is still working without any issues.
    07-21-16 01:41 PM
    My card SAMSUNG PRO+ 128gb class 10 U3 installed as storage device so automatically becomes encrypted. Have TSF apps that allow and my PRIV running real smooth. No issues whatsoever. Happy with my PASSPORT SE and my new PRIV

Posted via Passport SE Maximus Productivity
    07-22-16 04:32 PM
50 12