I have had my Priv for three days now. The transition from Passport is not without its hurdles, but I am overall pretty happy with it.

Since yesterday I have run into an issue where, for no apparent reason, I will try to unlock my phone, only to be met with a black screen. Sliding the keyboard out does nothing. Double tapping the screen awakes it to the image below.
    imgur.com/lpDKt8q

http://imgur.com/lpDKt8q

Swiping up will let me scroll through notifications as seen here, but nothing more
    imgur.com/icNY0oU

http://imgur.com/icNY0oU

So I hold the power button for 10-12 seconds, it resets, runs through the start-up sequence, then back to the black screen. I have reset three times now. Yesterday when this happened I reset three times, and on the third time it returned to normal.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue or can offer a solution. Hopefully this thread will serve as useful to others.

Some other notes;
    -issue started randomly, not after installing any new apps
    -phone has not been dropped
    Last edited by zocster; 11-24-15 at 10:08 PM.
    11-24-15 09:50 PM
    Hold power button for 35 seconds to do a hard reset.

Posted from my Priv!
    11-24-15 10:34 PM
    I had previously tried this, on advice from a different thread on another issue. Though they stated hold power for 32 seconds.

This time I held for 35, during which time it vibrated and restarted 3 times, I let go after 35 seconds and then a screen appeared saying "Android is starting... Optimizing app 1 of 56" ect until it was finished.

Now it is back to the screen shown here, still unresponsive to pressing the power button to unlock, or sliding out the keyboard.
    http://imgur.com/lpDKt8q
    Last edited by zocster; 11-24-15 at 11:38 PM.
    11-24-15 10:51 PM
    i'd suggest you do a factory reset first. Those counting is android updating their core system apps, hmm didn't see anyone saying there was a system update....

anyway, factory reset, login to your google account, update system and apps, then setup your device.
    11-24-15 11:40 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

How do I perform a factory reset if I cannot unlock the phone or access the settings?
    11-24-15 11:43 PM
    I've seen something similar to this on my old moto x but it goes away if I swipe down to get to the quick settings not sure if that will help here.
    11-24-15 11:48 PM
    This happened to me this morning. I thought an app had crashed and gave me a black screen. Couldn't do anything after that. Hit the power button a bunch of times and finally got the power off reboot screen. Hit reboot and everything went back to normal. First time this ever happened. Hasn't happened again today. Fingers crossed.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-24-15 11:52 PM
    After a long and annoying two hour conversation with Blackberry direct support, I used the online Android Device Manager to wipe my device. It took a while for this to initiate, but when it did I saw an Android logo which said 'erasing'. That finished, then I saw the clock for a brief moment, then the screen went black.

This time double tapping did nothing, as well as hitting the power button or sliding out the keyboard.
    Plugging my device in to the charger briefly flashed the clock, but did not show the charging percentage indicator as it had before the wipe/reset.

I held the power button for 12 seconds, it rebooted and loaded as usual with the shapes and the Android logo. Then back to flash of the clock and black screen.

Support say this is the first they have heard of this issue. They are escalating it to a higher level of support and waiting 24-48 hours for a response. From there it will either be more trouble shooting, or a return and replacement situation. Which will be particularly inconvenient for me as I live in Australia and this will mean sending it back to the US and then waiting for them to send it back to me.

Does anyone know a way to factory reset the Priv via the data cable or through pressing a sequence of buttons?
    11-25-15 01:14 AM
    Bump.

I left the phone overnight, rebooted this morning. Still nothing.
    11-25-15 03:29 PM
    I had a black screen occur with my Priv yesterday. I was using the phone and had tucked it under my arm to shake hands with someone (hot coffee in other hand) and discovered the 'black screen' phenomenon. I gave up on trying to fix it after a while and put the phone into my BB holster. When I took the phone out to work on it, the magnet in the holster (I'm guessing) had somehow reset the phone. I had a few more 'black screen' moments and the holster seems to fix it every time.
    If you don't have a holster, try applying a strong magnet about 2-3 cm down from the top front of the phone along the centerline.
    11-25-15 03:49 PM
    I had a black screen occur with my Priv yesterday. I was using the phone and had tucked it under my arm to shake hands with someone (hot coffee in other hand) and discovered the 'black screen' phenomenon. I gave up on trying to fix it after a while and put the phone into my BB holster. When I took the phone out to work on it, the magnet in the holster (I'm guessing) had somehow reset the phone. I had a few more 'black screen' moments and the holster seems to fix it every time.
    If you don't have a holster, try applying a strong magnet about 2-3 cm down from the top front of the phone along the centerline.
    This is the sort of thing I was about to suggest. The screen the OP is showing in the pictures is how the device would look when the flip case is closed to access the little window display, as if there is an issue with the magnet-triggered switch inside the device. Please give the suggestion above a try with a magnet to see if it fixes the issue. Though if it does keep happening, get it replaced because that's most certainly a hardware issue with the magnetic switch in the device.
    xtremesniper likes this.
    11-25-15 03:55 PM
    That's it! What I seem to have completely forgot about is that after receiving it I put a Steelie magnetic car mount onto the back of the phone. Between the camera and the BB symbol, to be more specific. The issue did not occur straight away after putting the magnet on. And the phone began to work again shortly after the first occurrence. So I did not suspect the magnet. I just took the magnet off, and now the phone works again.

Thanks to Carbonman1 and nick.dollimount for the suggestions.

It is a shame though, I love my Steelie car mount and will now have to find an alternative I guess
    niteize.com/product/Steelie-Car-Mount-Kit.asp
    Last edited by meth-berry; 11-25-15 at 06:00 PM.
    11-25-15 05:11 PM
    i'd suggest you do a factory reset first. Those counting is android updating their core system apps, hmm didn't see anyone saying there was a system update....

anyway, factory reset, login to your google account, update system and apps, then setup your device.
    There hasn't been any system update. That message is android recreating its app cache.
    11-26-15 12:36 PM
    Glad to hear it was a simple solution. Good troubleshooting here. Too bad you had to waste the time and wipe your phone though.
    11-26-15 12:42 PM
    This is the sort of thing I was about to suggest. The screen the OP is showing in the pictures is how the device would look when the flip case is closed to access the little window display, as if there is an issue with the magnet-triggered switch inside the device. Please give the suggestion above a try with a magnet to see if it fixes the issue. Though if it does keep happening, get it replaced because that's most certainly a hardware issue with the magnetic switch in the device.
    This is the issue, it's a glitch with the magnetic switch which puts device to sleep. Do try to get an exchange!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-26-15 12:54 PM
    Does anyone know a way to factory reset the Priv via the data cable or through pressing a sequence of buttons?
    A CrackBerry.com user named Mr. Freeze posted a BlackBerry Priv Autoloader.

It is ONLY for STV100-1 NOT STV100-3 and it is NOT for the AT&T Version.

IT IS ONLY FOR SHOPBB STV100-1 Privs.

It's possible it can brick your device if anything goes wrong but what it's meant to do is entirely wipe your device and reinstall the factory settings on it.

I'm sure you can find it on Crackberry with a simple search for Priv Autoloader or something along those lines.

Please proceed at your own risk.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Oh wow that was way more simple than I could have imagined.
     BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    meth-berry likes this.
    11-26-15 01:22 PM
    Glad to hear it was a simple solution. Good troubleshooting here. Too bad you had to waste the time and wipe your phone though.
    Yes, but better than the alternative of sending it back!

For what its worth, I have had these magnets on my last three Blackberry's without issue, so it wasn't immediately obvious that was the issue. I have now moved the magnet to underneath the Blackberry symbol on the back, and so far no problems.
    11-26-15 07:40 PM
    same here.
    11-27-15 07:44 AM
    A CrackBerry.com user named Mr. Freeze posted a BlackBerry Priv Autoloader.

It is ONLY for STV100-1 NOT STV100-3 and it is NOT for the AT&T Version.

IT IS ONLY FOR SHOPBB STV100-1 Privs.

This is actually why I just started a thread on the autoloader for Amazon devices!

Anyway, glad it was an easy fix. I couldn't view the pics in the app so good catch on the Flip Case Magnet.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-27-15 07:58 AM
    I bought mine on Saturday 11/28; had my first black screen issue that evening and at least once a day since. The only thing that corrects the problem is rebooting but that can be a real problem.

Would love some help: already struggling with going to Android over true Blackberry OS.
    12-01-15 07:55 PM
    hi sir, first of all i am informing you that i have purchased blackberry priv 20 days ago and till now i dont even have entered the sim card in it. today i was using the phone but suddenly the screen of my phone got discoloured. i restarted it 5 times but there was no imporvement.
    if you can help me and give me some advice about restoring my phone i will be very thankful to you.
    reply as soon as possible
    09-13-16 01:05 PM
    hi sir, first of all i am informing you that i have purchased blackberry priv 20 days ago and till now i dont even have entered the sim card in it. today i was using the phone but suddenly the screen of my phone got discoloured. i restarted it 5 times but there was no imporvement.
    if you can help me and give me some advice about restoring my phone i will be very thankful to you.
    reply as soon as possible
    WELCOME to Crackberry.

Some of us will try to help. So, you have been using it with Wifi? Or not using it other than testing out some apps and the keyboards?

Have you downloaded any apps? How is your carrier and what model. You can see model in Main Settings, (scroll all the way down), About, and check out the information shown.

Also, you can download Blackberry Virtual Expert from the google Playstore and run its tests.
    09-13-16 03:41 PM
    hello i bought a priv 2 days ago i factory reset the device after reading about the heating issues and the screen has been black ever since could you please suggest some solution thank you
    01-19-17 01:50 PM
    WELCOME to Crackberry.

I did reply to your Private Message.

See if the Boot Loader Menu shows which will help determine if the screen has failed? Press power button and volume down at the same time it will take you to boot loader menu then choose Barcode see if your device venicena it's mean factory unlocked

Could it be that the backlight is set really low? You might be able to change it without seeing it???? Swipe down with TWO FINGERS from the top. The screen brightness adjustment is a graphic slider just a tiny bit above the Vol Up button and running left-right across the screen.

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    01-19-17 03:33 PM
    Hy i factor reset my BlackBerry passport phone and now the screen is dark
    01-28-18 08:00 PM
27 12