Does the Priv come with the screen mirroring feature? It's a direct wifi that works on some smart tvs. Very nice for games, videos and photos.
    03-16-16 09:54 AM
    Yes I stream YouTube video, movies etc to my smart TV

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-16-16 10:13 AM
    Yes

03-16-16 10:14 AM
    It has screen mirroring built in to a Chromecast or equivalent device. Is that what your after?
    03-16-16 10:14 AM
    The only drawback is that the device screen stays on (using battery power).
    03-16-16 11:29 AM
    It has screen mirroring built in to a Chromecast or equivalent device. Is that what your after?
    I think chromecast is a dongle like roku that requires an intermediary wifi rather than direct. Yes the always on screen is a downer.
    03-16-16 01:53 PM
    Yes I stream YouTube video, movies etc to my smart TV

Thanks for the come back. This is without a separate wifi right.
    03-16-16 01:54 PM
    Thanks for the come back. This is without a separate wifi right.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Both my TV (Samsung) and my Priv are on the same wifi network (my centurylink router/modem) and it works between them.
    03-16-16 02:31 PM
    Does it also support Miracast too like the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 03:00 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean. Both my TV (Samsung) and my Priv are on the same wifi network (my centurylink router/modem) and it works between them.
    Screen mirroring doesn't require wifi. It just beams straight to the tv or satellite device such as a blue ray player. You then duplicate your screen on the tv. The gadgets like twonky, roku, chrome etc require wifi and only play media--they don't mirror the screen.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-16-16 03:04 PM
    Screen mirroring doesn't require wifi. It just beams straight to the tv or satellite device such as a blue ray player. You then duplicate your screen on the tv. The gadgets like twonky, roku, chrome etc require wifi and only play media--they don't mirror the screen.
    Well, then I don't know. It actually may work that way but since I've had wifi on, I did not think about it communicating in some other manner. If I get a chance and remember, I will turn off wifi on the phone and see.

(I noticed you asked the question over on Android Central - did you get a clearer answer there?)
    03-16-16 03:40 PM
    When I turned off the Priv's wifi, it did not detect my TV (Samsung "Smart" TV). I did not look around my TV's menu/settings to see if there's an alternative communication protocol. Or if the TV has its own wifi ouput (like my eye-fi camera card).
    03-16-16 04:17 PM
    Thanks for checking. Guess I'm sure for a trip to the store anyway to check it out.

On wife's S4 there is a song in settings next to bluetooth and wifi to turn on "screen mirroring." On blue ray players and some tvs there is a screen mirror applet, you connect easy peasy-no intermediate internet required.

No one in other priv section was familiar either. I thank you again.
    03-16-16 05:51 PM
    Does it also support Miracast too like the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    Yes

03-16-16 09:16 PM
    Chromecast can mirror screen as well as cast, however I don't think the screen mirror works by having the two devices talk directly to each other, they need local wifi connection to communicate.

03-16-16 09:17 PM
    When I turned off the Priv's wifi, it did not detect my TV (Samsung "Smart" TV). I did not look around my TV's menu/settings to see if there's an alternative communication protocol. Or if the TV has its own wifi ouput (like my eye-fi camera card).
    WiFi needs to be on.

Screen mirror is done through wifi.

Normally when screen is mirrored, it means the phone is talking directly to the device that the screen is being mirrored to.

When you are casting to a device like chromecast, the phone tells the chromecast what to do through local wifi connection, and the chromecast then connects to that same local wifi to play the content.

FF22 likes this.
    03-16-16 09:22 PM
    If you don't want to be tied to local wifi and don't mind not being able to use your phone for other things while you mirror your screen, I recommend Netgear ptv3000. If you have local wifi and want to be able to cast so your phone is free to do other things, in a sense allowing multitasking, then get a chromecast.
    03-16-16 09:23 PM
    Yes in the case of BlackBerry 10 it's don't via Wifi direct to my Sony TV and uses Miracast. Handy when wanting to stream something online. Local video can be streamed out via the DLNA server on my device.

Does the Priv have this functionality built in?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 06:18 AM
    Hello Everyone,

SO i have a sony 3d smart tv and I use showbox to watch all my movies and tv shows. When I register my blackberry Priv phone to my TV for the screen mirroring it working perfectly fine. Then for some odd reason it stop and wont connect to my TV anymore. Has any experience this issue before? I really don't want to buy a chromecast, but if I have to then so be it or i'll just continue to use my sony xperia z1s for showbox.
    04-03-16 10:48 AM