Any ideas how to fix this? IDK how to do a hard reset and don't know what else I could do to fix this?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-02-16 10:12 AM
    Press and hold the power button, past the power off and reboot prompt, until the device shuts down. It will restart itself. That may do the trick.
    03-02-16 10:23 AM
    The turning black issue is fixed but the screen sometimes still shakes. BlackBerry need to fix this!

03-02-16 11:26 AM
    Had the same, but it was green. I returned it and got a new one

03-02-16 11:44 AM
    I have had the Priv for almost a week now (well maybe 5 days). I have 14 days since the phone was delivered to return it; do you think I should do that now? Or wait and see how it goes? Apparently a few people have had the screen shaking which I believe is something to do with the OS and not the device itself; however I haven't seen any reports of the screen flashing black like my Priv did earlier. Could it maybe be because my battery died and I turned it back on after plugging it into the charger? That's when it happened.

03-02-16 11:55 AM
    Had the same flickering and turning black (apart from statusbar turning darkgrey/red with stripes)

My findings are that it apears after :
    * battery went to 0% and phone automatically turned off
    * device is put on (stock) usb-charger
    * can be forced by switching from app/task switcher (square button) to launcher/homescreen (circle button)

I returned my priv right now, but can post a photo of device turning black with having v-buttons still on and statusbar with graphical error stripes, later.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by gizmo21; 03-03-16 at 01:52 PM.
    03-02-16 12:07 PM
    Had the same flickering and turning black (apart from statusbar turning darkgrey/red with stripes)

My findings are that it apears after :
    * battery went to 0% and phone automatically turned off
    * device is put on (stock) usb-charger
    * can be forced by switching from app/task switcher to launcher startpage

I returned my priv right now, but can post a photo of device turning black with having v-buttons still on and statusbar with graphical error stripes, later.

So you think it happens with every Priv and not just ours?

03-02-16 12:15 PM
    So you think it happens with every Priv and not just ours?

No, just posting my findings with my priv into thread with users seemingly having similar issues.

03-02-16 12:59 PM
    Mine blacks out every time I'm moving from the app switcher (square button) to the homescreen (circle button). Also causes the BlackBerry Launcher to stop working or crash entirely. Have not experienced the flickering display for a while now, but I think that's because this problem replaced that problem. Had my Priv since it first came out from BlackBerry's website, and have not had this problem until just this week. Although, I recently updated with BlackBerry's security patches and did app updates for the BlackBerry Launcher in the last few weeks. I think that may be causing it. $700 piece of **** if you ask me. They better get on to fixing this asap. Thank God I still use my Passport as my primary phone. The Priv has such potential to be a great device, but these bugs and mishaps becoming more common as I own and use the device longer, and BlackBerry not giving me any good support to try and fix them, is building the potential of the Priv being another failed BlackBerry and Android device. It's so disappointing. Seems like the Passport is the one and only truly great device BlackBerry created.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    Last edited by bjschey; 03-02-16 at 10:50 PM.
    ayekon likes this.
    03-02-16 01:11 PM
    I've just rang EE and the woman on the phone said it is an OS issue. She said to reset my phone using BlackBerry Desktop Software. I explained that BlackBerry Desktop Software isn't compatible with the Priv as the Priv runs android. She did some 'further research' and said to reset my phone back to factory settings. I then asked if she had had reports about this issue before and she said not with BlackBerry's. So I have no idea why she thinks a factory reset will fix it! If you ask me, she was talking a load of sh*t trying to get me passed the 14 day return period so that I'll have to pay the insurance excess to get a new Priv! I need some advice on what to do about this; I really don't want to have to pay the insurance excess to get a new Priv. Basically, if this issue persists, I want to return my Priv before the 14 days are up. Saying that, I'd rather not return it at all; but it (the flashing/flickering of the screen) is really annoying. I HOPE that it is only because of my battery reaching 0% and that the hard reset (holding power button) has solved it; however advice on what to do next would be very welcomed. Thanks!

ayekon likes this.
    03-02-16 01:17 PM
    Please read my last post and give me advice. Much appreciated!

03-02-16 03:45 PM
    I've just rang EE and the woman on the phone said it is an OS issue. She said to reset my phone using BlackBerry Desktop Software. I explained that BlackBerry Desktop Software isn't compatible with the Priv as the Priv runs android. She did some 'further research' and said to reset my phone back to factory settings. I then asked if she had had reports about this issue before and she said not with BlackBerry's. So I have no idea why she thinks a factory reset will fix it! If you ask me, she was talking a load of sh*t trying to get me passed the 14 day return period so that I'll have to pay the insurance excess to get a new Priv! I need some advice on what to do about this; I really don't want to have to pay the insurance excess to get a new Priv. Basically, if this issue persists, I want to return my Priv before the 14 days are up. Saying that, I'd rather not return it at all; but it (the flashing/flickering of the screen) is really annoying. I HOPE that it is only because of my battery reaching 0% and that the hard reset (holding power button) has solved it; however advice on what to do next would be very welcomed. Thanks!

You should try taking it to your carrier or Geek Squad at Best Buy. They may at least be able to provide some insight on whether this is a BlackBerry issue or an Android issue. Maybe how to also backup your data and reload the OS. I really think that some of the BlackBerry bloatware and patches may be the cause of this, but I have no idea how to fix it. I really wish BlackBerry would provide better support for the Priv and Android, but once again they seem to be full of screw-ups on this front. The only other thing that you can hope fixes it is when BlackBerry releases Android 6.0 (which was suppose to be the first quarter this year, but we're less than 30 days to the end of the first quarter and no word on that front) and the next round of patches and fixes. You may be better off just returning it, and trying to get a new one.

03-02-16 07:02 PM
    You should try taking it to your carrier or Geek Squad at Best Buy. They may at least be able to provide some insight on whether this is a BlackBerry issue or an Android issue. Maybe how to also backup your data and reload the OS. I really think that some of the BlackBerry bloatware and patches may be the cause of this, but I have no idea how to fix it. I really wish BlackBerry would provide better support for the Priv and Android, but once again they seem to be full of screw-ups on this front. The only other thing that you can hope fixes it is when BlackBerry releases Android 6.0 (which was suppose to be the first quarter this year, but we're less than 30 days to the end of the first quarter and no word on that front) and the next round of patches and fixes. You may be better off just returning it, and trying to get a new one.

It hasn't happened since I did the hard reset with the power button. Should I let my battery get to 0% again and see if it happens again when I turn the phone back on? If I do, and it does happen, would it be a OS issue or hardware?

03-02-16 08:06 PM
    It hasn't happened since I did the hard reset with the power button. Should I let my battery get to 0% again and see if it happens again when I turn the phone back on? If I do, and it does happen, would it be a OS issue or hardware?

I would try it. If it does it again and you can fix it again with the hard reset, I'd bet my money on it being an OS issue of some sort, not a hardware issue.

03-02-16 10:41 PM
    She did some 'further research' and said to reset my phone back to factory settings. I then asked if she had had reports about this issue before and she said not with BlackBerry's.
    Reset didn't fix anything for me. I resetted just before sending it in and it happend again after resetting and battery went to zero.

btw here is my blackout:

screen flickering and keeps turning black-bbpriv_screenblackout.jpg
    Last edited by gizmo21; 03-03-16 at 02:08 PM.
    ayekon likes this.
    03-03-16 01:55 PM
    Don't listen to what customer support tells you, they want you to keep the phone regardless of what your problem is.
    You should return it immediately, because this problem isn't widely talked about here, and thus it's not that usual. Why take the risk? You have 7 days left? Return it before its too late.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 03:57 PM
    I have had the Priv for almost a week now (well maybe 5 days). I have 14 days since the phone was delivered to return it; do you think I should do that now? Or wait and see how it goes? Apparently a few people have had the screen shaking which I believe is something to do with the OS and not the device itself; however I haven't seen any reports of the screen flashing black like my Priv did earlier. Could it maybe be because my battery died and I turned it back on after plugging it into the charger? That's when it happened.

Return it. Mine started to flick when i closed the slider. It happened more often as time went by, til it went completely green. When the batter died for example or if the device got hot.

Like many said, return it and dont try to repair it, it wont go away easily, if at all. Your new phone wont have the issue

03-03-16 04:05 PM