Now that I have used my priv for well over a month, I was wondering if the battery consumption for the screen is the same for everyone.

I always have it on very low brightness 1/3 or less and adaptive brightness on, yet it seems to consume battery like crazy.

I do however get about 4 hours of screen on time per charge.

Is that normal? My friends who have nexuses tell me that it's not.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Screen consuming large amount of battery-148780.jpg  
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 01-17-16 at 06:34 AM.
    01-17-16 06:21 AM
    Jus compare it to this. A nexus 6.

Attached Thumbnails Screen consuming large amount of battery-148781.jpg  
    01-17-16 06:23 AM
    Still think this is high, I have mine set at about 1/3 and its running at 7% interestingly the Nexus, whilst screen is lower all other categories are high than yours by at least 6% !
    01-17-16 06:36 AM
    Now that I have used my priv for well over a month, I was wondering if the battery consumption for the screen is the same for everyone.

I always have it on very low brightness 1/3 or less and adaptive brightness on, yet it seems to consume battery like crazy.

Mine is the same too. Same settings, aprox 4 hours per charge.
    I don't know it is good or bad...

01-17-16 07:06 AM

This is down to your usage, are you texting and web browsing a lot? Also are you watching movies?

Adaptive Brightness may also be a culprit, as if you are in a bright room it will ramp up the brightness a bit which will consume more power.

With the Priv having a AMOLED display you must also take into account bright colours. AMOLED is great at saving power with dark colours and can take next to half what an LCD would, BUT with Whites, bright Reds and so on it becomes a guzzler as the pixels work at their max. Chances are if you web browse a lot you view countless white pages so the display is working at max capacity and drawing more power.

My suggestion: turn Off Adaptive Brightness, only turn it on when going outside.
    mm2061 likes this.
    01-17-16 07:24 AM
    Same 4 hours but that with physical keyboard I wonder if that is why.

Really started hating the phone and its very poor battery life. Will probably sell is and go back to Samsung
    01-17-16 07:27 AM
    This is down to your usage, are you texting and web browsing a lot? Also are you watching movies?

Adaptive Brightness may also be a culprit, as if you are in a bright room it will ramp up the brightness a bit which will consume more power.

With the Priv having a AMOLED display you must also take into account bright colours. AMOLED is great at saving power with dark colours and can take next to half what an LCD would, BUT with Whites, bright Reds and so on it becomes a guzzler as the pixels work at their max. Chances are if you web browse a lot you view countless white pages so the display is working at max capacity and drawing more power.

My suggestion: turn Off Adaptive Brightness, only turn it on when going outside.
    I do Web browse a bit but nothing out of the ordinary I think.

I have turned off adaptive brightness. Will report soon

01-17-16 03:59 PM
    A couple things to keep in mind when it comes to reducing screen on consumption with Amoled displays...

First is the obvious. Tweak the brightness down to around 20%. Anything higher than that should only be used in outdoor bright sun conditions. Since you've already mentioned that you keep it around 1/3rd.... that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Second... Amoled displays consume more energy with bright colors. You'd be surprised how much battery you save by simply having a Black/Dark wallpaper whenever your screen is awake. On Amoled displays, black consumes near to zero power. If your wallpaper is yellow to white, your screen will consume much more.

Try changing your backgrounds to a darker color. You'll be surprised at the difference.
    01-17-16 04:34 PM
    I turned off adaptive brightness and I turn the brightness level all the way down to zero. I also use an all black wallpaper. I get awesome battery life, well as awesome as battery life can be these days. I use my device a lot.

01-17-16 08:51 PM
    My Priv seems to be haemorrhaging battery in the last week and all signs point to the screen being the culprit - Had my phone in the holster un-touched all day thursday and it chewed through 40% battery. An advanced battery monitor showed that it was the screen off was consuming most of the battery!

Did a factory reset Friday and it settled down for two days and now it seems back it it's usual crap self. If I cannot find a fix I will have to seriously consider ditching it and going back to a Sony or something else that gives me a decent battery life. I'll just have to put up with the lack of PKB
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    01-18-16 05:56 AM
    You should check applications that said running in the background too

Posted via my PRIV
    01-18-16 07:11 AM
    Im 100 percent sure turning off adaptive brightness and lowering it to like 1/4 improves battery life.

Compared to my OP settings

Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails Screen consuming large amount of battery-150679.jpg  
    01-18-16 09:41 AM
    Do you guys think turning off tap to wake might help?
    01-18-16 10:08 AM
    I'd love 4 hours of screen on time

I've turned off adaptive brightness (had already turned the screen down) and will see how that goes

It is strange that it's suddenly started draining like mad in the last week with no new apps installed
    01-18-16 10:18 AM
    I'd love 4 hours of screen on time

I've turned off adaptive brightness (had already turned the screen down) and will see how that goes

It is strange that it's suddenly started draining like mad in the last week with no new apps installed
    Had the same problem. I think you'll find turning off adaptive brightness does help

Elcuolo likes this.
    01-18-16 10:32 AM
    Had the same problem. I think you'll find turning off adaptive brightness does help

I'll give it a go tomorrow - phone has taken a hammering today with client calls etc!
    01-18-16 10:47 AM

Fingers crossed! Have just done that, not been very impressed with BlackBerry's new flagship phone so far....
    01-18-16 10:49 AM
    What with

• The creaking
    • Lack of Wireless Charging On The UK Version
    • The Price!!!
    • The Alarm Bug Preventing The Screen Automatically Turning Off
    • The fact that the hub cannot send notifications of more than one un-read e-mail to android wear

It's not been a promising start

I LOVE having the keyboard back and I'm going a LOT more productive on it, but if the battery cannot last me a normal working day then it's going to have to go
    01-18-16 10:52 AM

Same settings for me ,I get 4 to max 5 hours on screen time , depends what else I am doing with the phone.
    01-18-16 03:19 PM
    Same settings for me ,I get 4 to max 5 hours on screen time , depends what else I am doing with the phone.
    Is your adaptive brightness on or off?

01-18-16 03:57 PM
    Is your adaptive brightness on or off?

always off !
    01-18-16 03:58 PM
    Same 4 hours but that with physical keyboard I wonder if that is why.

Really started hating the phone and its very poor battery life. Will probably sell is and go back to Samsung
    Go back.. because latest samsungs have great battery life (sarcasm)
    01-18-16 09:40 PM
    A couple of screenshots from the IPS LCD side of things for comparison.

Screen consuming large amount of battery-screenshot_2016-01-19-01-50-46.jpg
    Screen consuming large amount of battery-screenshot_2016-01-19-01-51-13.jpg
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-19-16 03:00 AM
    Heavy use today. Managed to get 4 and a half hours of SOT.

Attached Thumbnails Screen consuming large amount of battery-150777.jpg  
    01-19-16 08:37 AM
    AMOLED uses more power than IPS in the general case. That's the price for that display technology, and it's been that way since the first AMOLED displays (e.g. in the Galaxy SGS-II.)

BlackBerry ought to turn the hub dark (or at least provide the option) since a dark display consumes very little power with AMOLED. As mentioned a dark background -- and wallpaper -- helps a lot. But the lack of "dark" support in the supplied app set doesn't help at all, and that's dumb given the display technology BlackBerry decided to use.

Here's hoping that they fix that in a software update (very easily done, particularly for the Hub)
    01-19-16 10:50 AM