Suddenly my phone screen with a red Line from top to bottom. Ay advice?
    12-22-20 03:02 PM
    Get a new phone. Not joking.
    12-22-20 03:03 PM
    A replacement OLED screen for the Priv costs almost as much as another Priv.

But that's if you MUST continue using a Priv, which is 5 Android versions behind and getting slower every year.

Other than that, get a KEY2/LE if you still want a keyboard or a different brand slab if you're okay ditching the keyboard.
    12-22-20 03:09 PM
    Ok. A good idea a replacement with Key2 but very soon we must have a new BlackBerry device. Then what is the best solution?
    12-22-20 05:24 PM
    I like physicall keyboard
    12-22-20 05:27 PM
    Ok. A good idea a replacement with Key2 but very soon we must have a new BlackBerry device. Then what is the best solution?
    If you can get a KEY2 now, that would be a good idea since you want the keyboard. However it won't be getting any more security updates after this month.
    12-22-20 09:36 PM
    Where are you located?
    12-22-20 09:49 PM
    However it won't be getting any more security updates after this month.
    Hmm, that's what we said in June...
    bh7171 likes this.
    12-22-20 10:00 PM
    LOL - isn’t Google making the decision for everyone though?
    12-22-20 10:19 PM
    I'm saying this in regards to how long Google would allow patching of Oreo. If it went beyond this month, then I wouldn't say it's impossible for TCL to push yet another one in January, etc
    12-23-20 08:39 AM
    South America. At Chile. Before and always bought at USA. My Priv has been care very well. Some battery problems but not to much but i can see that my phone not working as new. Now the red Line dissapear from the screen and working fine again till now. But we don t know the future. I don t know if buy a Key 2 or wait for the new Blackberry. When ?????
    12-23-20 10:40 AM
    South America. At Chile. Before and always bought at USA. My Priv has been care very well. Some battery problems but not to much but i can see that my phone not working as new. Now the red Line dissapear from the screen and working fine again till now. But we don t know the future. I don t know if buy a Key 2 or wait for the new Blackberry. When ?????
    The new 5G BlackBerry probably wouldn't be available until about 4-5 months from now I believe.

Up to you to decide if you want to keep holding on to that Priv for that long, or upgrade to a KEY2 or KEY2 LE now.

I would personally do it, because if you want to resell it a few months from now, its value probably wouldn't have dropped much.

Despite how much I would want to keep using a Priv today, it's just not possible anymore. Even two years ago I found the performance to not be good enough for my use and went back to the KEYone.

The Priv, while it has an excellent design and display, and a decent keyboard, is still a 5 year old Android phone that's on 5 Android versions behind, with an overheating 808 processor and now insufficient RAM. Also the security patches are about 3 years behind.

It performs no better than a Passport, and only stays cool when doing very basic tasks and using light, non intensive apps on it. So if you want it to last an entire day on a charge, aside from optimizing and disabling a bunch of things, you kind of have to use it like you would use a BB10 phone, meaning a dumbphone/entry level smartphone disguised as a modern flagship.
    Last edited by the_boon; 12-23-20 at 11:00 AM.
    mh1983 likes this.
    12-23-20 10:50 AM
    Ok. Many thanks for the info
    12-23-20 01:24 PM
    I'm saying this in regards to how long Google would allow patching of Oreo. If it went beyond this month, then I wouldn't say it's impossible for TCL to push yet another one in January, etc
    Right. And we also thought August was it for Oreo patches until September came along, and now even December.
    What would happen if the contract whoever might be waving in their face extends beyond the end of Google provided patches for Oreo, do we get Pie?
    12-23-20 03:13 PM
    What would happen if the contract whoever might be waving in their face extends beyond the end of Google provided patches for Oreo, do we get Pie?
    That's a great question! I have no idea lol
    12-23-20 06:03 PM