You guys are confusing the operating system with the services. If the OS is open source or there are no rules against it, you can do what you want...
    Well yeah, BlackBerry can put regular AOSP on a phone no sweat, but lack of Google services means that it's an exercise in futility. This Chinese phone has no evidence of Google services on it, so even though "intellectual property" is an alien concept in China, they won't fall afoul of Google's attack lawyers. That's probably because Google isn't the best of friends with the Communist Party of China, but I digress.

On the other hand, an actual company that isn't some chap operating out of the trunk of his car has tried a dual boot with Google Android and something else, and Google nipped that in the bud.
    09-17-15 08:38 PM
    I have a laptop that I dual boot windows 7 / Ubuntu. Ubuntu is "open source ". If Android is so "open source " why does Google complain? Or is Android really "open source on our terms ".

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    It's not about the OS, it's about the Bootloader. And as far as I know there is no Bootloader for loading Windows or anything else. But that's not open source or Android related.

You could also complain about why Microsoft isn't offering a OSX Bootloader out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 07:39 AM
    Everybody wants a piece of Google's cake ,I wonder why? Oh, Market share! Thanks for sharing the link,Looks awesome and affordable,lol
    09-18-15 08:05 AM
    It's not about the OS, it's about the Bootloader. And as far as I know there is no Bootloader for loading Windows or anything else. But that's not open source or Android related.

You could also complain about why Microsoft isn't offering a OSX Bootloader out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't really complaining. I'm not very familiar with Android and their terms of service. More just wondering why if Android is open source, they would be so against a device that could dual boot. While running the Android portion and keep the Google services working and being android compliant with their Tos. Or booting into another Os and not using any Google services or any part of Android. Just wondering why that wouldn't be 'compliant '. My friends bootloader on his M9, he has I think 4 different custom roms he can boot into including Ubuntu. Is it more that as per Google , the phone can only ship with Android? And whatever the end user does is up to the end user? Just my curiosity as I never really play with Android much. I do have an Android tablet, but I mostly use it to watch movies and games.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-18-15 11:40 AM
    Acer announce a dual boot tablet with Android and Windows 8.1... displayed device... assigned pricing and release date... Google complained it violate OHA... devivce mysteriously dissappeared...
    Acer actually tried to gang the system in a really clever way - it wasn't actually a dual-boot device... it was two devices bolted together - Google and Microsoft still told them to GTFO.
    09-18-15 12:27 PM
    I wasn't really complaining. I'm not very familiar with Android and their terms of service. More just wondering why if Android is open source, they would be so against a device that could dual boot.
    Short version - AOSP (Android Open Source Project) is open source and you can fork it and do what you like. Android has Google's software on it and if you want to ship it with their blessing, there are no dual-boots and you don't sell any forks. The longer versions are all over the forum if you search.
    astrodan13 and ayngling like this.
    09-18-15 12:28 PM
    Short version - AOSP (Android Open Source Project) is open source and you can fork it and do what you like. Android has Google's software on it and if you want to ship it with their blessing, there are no dual-boots and you don't sell any forks. The longer versions are all over the forum if you search.
    Cool, thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense now why. The short version explains what I was looking for.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-18-15 12:39 PM
    Dual boot would be considered by John Chen to be "dual cost" as maintaining everything about the handset business would cost twice as much. Even the carriers would have to do twice as much testing. Employees would need to be trained on both platforms. That would seem to be very unpopular with everyone other than the hardcore BB10 fan base.
    09-18-15 02:08 PM
33 12