Are we going to be seeing Samsung OLED tech in the upcoming BlackBerry slider? Seeing as how we are getting the dual curved edged screen, maybe the display will be the same, too (as the S6 Edge).

Is the dual-edged screen on the new slider actually sourced from Samsung?

Just speculation at this point, but BlackBerry and Samsung seem to be pretty close these past couple of years on a number of projects.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 10:16 PM
    It's far too early to know. There are no specs confirmed as yet. We know it's a slider that's about it. Everything else being discussed is unsubstantiated rumour.

I'd wager on LED vs. OLED, though.
    05-06-15 10:26 PM
    It has to be OLED for it to be a curved screen.

Better question, does Samsung hold the patent? If so, what is BlackBerry giving up in exchange?
    05-07-15 12:08 AM
    It's far too early to know. There are no specs confirmed as yet. We know it's a slider that's about it. Everything else being discussed is unsubstantiated rumour.

I'd wager on LED vs. OLED, though.
    The curved screen is not a rumor, it was said by Chen

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 06:29 AM
    The curved screen is not a rumor, it was said by Chen

Posted via CB10
    I won't consider it confirmed until I see that confirmed in writing! There have been a few verbal statements that have changed or been later than stated, or changed.

Just my opinion.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    Madhuchandran likes this.
    05-07-15 07:29 AM
    You pretty much answered your own question

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 06:20 PM
    Anything that BlackBerry confirms is just a 'maybe.'

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-11-15 02:10 AM

Better question, does Samsung hold the patent? If so, what is BlackBerry giving up in exchange?
    Probably not giving up anything. They probably phoned Samsung and just ordered 300,000 screens.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    05-11-15 02:04 PM

Samsung hold patents for their implementation of OLED but LG also has curved screens. It's good that the Slider isn't coming in the next few months as Sammy was not prepared for the Edge model popularity and is supply constricted.
    05-11-15 02:19 PM
    Probably not giving up anything. They probably phoned Samsung and just ordered 300,000 screens.
    You really think they can afford to do that, when they can't even introduce a blue Classic?
    05-11-15 07:16 PM
    You really think they can afford to do that, when they can't even introduce a blue Classic?
    The two things are unrelated. Why do you say they can't release a blue Classic? They haven't done so, but I'm sure it's not beyond their capability. And yes, I think they can afford to buy screens for their handsets. BlackBerry can't sell handsets without screens you know. $3bn in cash is quite a lot of money where I'm from and I think that might just buy a screen or two lol. Generally a sale or return transaction would be the norm between supplier and manufacturer and a term of credit so likely BlackBerry would not have to pay for them until they've actually started selling them.

05-12-15 02:43 AM
    The screen looks surprisingly similar to the GS6 Edge, so does the camera. Samsung is the only company that we saw with this kind of screen, so knowing Blackberry's and samsung partnership, pretty sure this will have the exact same display as the GS6 edge
    05-12-15 06:09 PM
    Samsung hold patents for their implementation of OLED but LG also has curved screens. It's good that the Slider isn't coming in the next few months as Sammy was not prepared for the Edge model popularity and is supply constricted.
    Universal Display here in Edison, NJ has actually been one of the pioneers of OLED technology. Where the screens will be sourced from is a different story.
    05-12-15 10:15 PM
    Universal Display here in Edison, NJ has actually been one of the pioneers of OLED technology. Where the screens will be sourced from is a different story.
    Universal is a small company, estimated 2015 revs of 200M. They license some important aspects of OLED tech to various companies. Samsung pays them about 60M a year and is their largest single source of revenue. For some perspective Samsung pays Microsoft over a Billion per year for their patents related to smartphones.
    05-13-15 01:57 AM
    Universal is a small company, estimated 2015 revs of 200M. They license some important aspects of OLED tech to various companies. Samsung pays them about 60M a year and is their largest single source of revenue. For some perspective Samsung pays Microsoft over a Billion per year for their patents related to smartphones.
    Doesn't surprise me, Nokia had the first curved edge display and Microsoft owns the old Nokia handset division and presumably the patents.

05-13-15 05:34 AM
    Don't forget Samsung do manufacture parts for other companies like Apple so I wouldn't be surprise if they are making parts for Blackberry as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 04:27 PM
    Samsung hardware always have been very good. What samsung lacked was build quality wich was cheap for the price they used to ask. Later Samsung phones are much better built
    05-13-15 04:33 PM