Taking my own thread off topic a bit, I think sales have been "brisk"... Amazon is now saying no delivery until the second half of December. That's a long time from now. That means they're scrambling with a manufacturing run.
    11-13-15 10:07 AM
    So basically we still don't have any ideas on sales. I can accept that.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    That's what I've kinda gotten out of all of this.....

We don't know if Google was talking about just their prepackaged Google apps - or if that included 3rd Party apps that OEMs added later. Basically I think we'll have to wait and see how the numbers look in March, as I doubt there will be a significant change this Quarter due to low inventory and how some have said they actually count sales.

But based on the marketing campaign that is going on for the PRIV.... those download numbers don't look to far off.

And I sure don't think your have 10K Android users figuring out how to spoof the device IDs to download those BlackBerry apps.... there just isn't much interest over at AndroidCentral for anything BlackBerry.
    11-13-15 10:17 AM
    Pre installed apps do not count BUT I think every update does. So everyone that buys a priv and then UPDATES the app would add a number to the install count.

All downloads are for the PRIV....no other device can even download them. ONLY PRIVS.
    Mecca EL and dolco like this.
    11-13-15 10:24 AM
    actually no, it was in response to you saying:

"Yes, but again we have no idea if that is counting updates, downloads, or just device sign-ins."

I was simply reiterating that yes we do have an idea. They clearly state they don't count updates.
    While updates may not be counted, there is conflicting information on whether or not initial device sign ins count. I believe an article on AC claims it is supposed to. When it comes down to it, we don't know exactly what that 5k-10k number is entailing. The apps are incompatible with non BB Androids so its not other handset downloads, its supposedly not counting updates, and doesn't look to be counting initial sign-ins either. Since we don't know exactly what that 5k-10k entails, my post still stands - we have no idea what it is counting.

Pre installed apps do not count BUT every update does. So everyone that buys a priv and then UPDATES the app would add a number to the install count.

All downloads are for the PRIV....no other device can even download them. ONLY PRIVS.
    This is contrary to a lot of articles online, and I have yet to see concrete information either way.
    11-13-15 10:30 AM
    Pre installed apps do not count BUT every update does. So everyone that buys a priv and then UPDATES the app would add a number to the install count.

Howermat, what's your source for saying every update counts? According to the authors of the article, they contacted Google and Apple and both were clear that updates do NOT count.
    11-13-15 10:32 AM
    11-13-15 10:35 AM
    Developer Console description also states that updates do not count.

"Total User Installs (total number of unique users who have ever installed this app on one or more of their devices)"
    Seshu Vinay, Android App Developer
    2k Views
    1. No, updates are not counted as downloads.
    2. The number of downloads is "the number of Google accounts" that downloaded the app. If you uninstall and reinstall or even if you download the same app in some other device with same google account, it doesn't get counted as new download. It should be a new device and a different google account to get counted as a new download.
    11-13-15 10:35 AM
    Taking my own thread off topic a bit, I think sales have been "brisk"... Amazon is now saying no delivery until the second half of December. That's a long time from now. That means they're scrambling with a manufacturing run.
    Or that matches the rumors of a very small production run with a several week delay before the next run can be started.....
    JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    11-13-15 10:41 AM
    That make sense. So we have <10k users updated their Priv.

Not a good sign by any stretch. It could be the sales are bad, or the sales are good but users are using buggy versions.

11-13-15 10:44 AM
    That's the article I refer to in the OP. It doesn't, unless I missed it, say anywhere that updates count. In fact, it's fairly clear that it's based on user accounts and only one download per account counts.
    11-13-15 10:45 AM
    That make sense. So we have <10k users updated their Priv.

Not a good sign by any stretch. It could be the sales are bad, or the sales are good but users are using buggy versions.

Apparently updates and Uninstall/reinstalling do not count...only new downloads on a new device on a new Google account.
    11-13-15 10:54 AM
    That's the article I refer to in the OP. It doesn't, unless I missed it, say anywhere that updates count. In fact, it's fairly clear that it's based on user accounts and only one download per account counts.
    Yes it states its only by account but I think if you update the app and the user updates it that would be another "install" but that part is not clear I agree. its flawed either way really as only the devs have real numbers
    11-13-15 10:58 AM
    Yes it states its only by account but I think if you update the app and the user updates it that would be another "install" but that part is not clear I agree. its flawed either way really as only the devs have real numbers
    So do these downloads need to be done manually by each user? Like if I was not a member of crackberry...how would I know I need these updates?
    11-13-15 11:02 AM
    So do these downloads need to be done manually by each user? Like if I was not a member of crackberry...how would I know I need these updates?
    the play store tells you and can even auto install updates
    11-13-15 11:11 AM
    I wouldn't trust a lot of these install numbers from the play store. As an example, Apple Music shows 100 installs but there are 13k reviews for the app already...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-13-15 01:22 PM
    I've been combing the internet and read many many articles. But the most pertinent information I gleaned from support forums etc.. Too many links to list, and complicated by play store metrics having changed substantially around May 28ish 2014. But from what I can piece together, Pre-installed apps aren't counted, however the initial/1st update of a pre-installed app will be recorded as a unique install for that Google Account, any subsequent update after that will be ignored.

That is pretty much in line with something I've noticed before on my Android Tablet that I have set to manual updates instead of automatic updates. I've noticed apps in the Play Store that were pre-installed on my tablet wouldn't appear under "downloaded" apps, then after I updated it, it would show up in the "downloaded" apps.

The "Updates don't count" reference were all from pre-May 2014. I think now it still holds true, with the exception of the first update of a pre-installed app. But hey, I could be wrong. But sometimes the most logical answer is the most likely as well.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and dolco like this.
    11-13-15 01:56 PM
    Google Maps sits at 1 - 5 Billion downloads..... I "assume" that includes every Android devices that includes Google Maps pre-loaded.
    11-13-15 02:55 PM
    The Priv android apps like dtek are new but still hardly have any reviews.
    Even for 5-10k downloads
    Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 04:38 PM
    I've been combing the internet and read many many articles. But the most pertinent information I gleaned from support forums etc.. Too many links to list, and complicated by play store metrics having changed substantially around May 28ish 2014. But from what I can piece together, Pre-installed apps aren't counted, however the initial/1st update of a pre-installed app will be recorded as a unique install for that Google Account, any subsequent update after that will be ignored.

That is pretty much in line with something I've noticed before on my Android Tablet that I have set to manual updates instead of automatic updates. I've noticed apps in the Play Store that were pre-installed on my tablet wouldn't appear under "downloaded" apps, then after I updated it, it would show up in the "downloaded" apps.

The "Updates don't count" reference were all from pre-May 2014. I think now it still holds true, with the exception of the first update of a pre-installed app. But hey, I could be wrong. But sometimes the most logical answer is the most likely as well.
    I think you have it right. For pre-installed: first update counts as the download, further updates do not. App Dled from the Playstore counts as download, further updates do not.
    11-13-15 05:01 PM
    I think these are downloads for installs on other phones like HTC (there was even a thread if I remember correctly about the BB VKB being installed on HTC). So these are the downloads OUTSIDE the PRIV
    Explain exactly HOW can any other device download and install these Priv specific apps, from Play store? I'll repeat, in case you missed it - Priv SPECIFIC apps. Meaning ONLY Priv owners can download Priv Specific apps from Google Play Store. HTC, LG, Samsung, etc., users can not install Priv Specific apps, directly from the Play Store...
    11-13-15 08:13 PM
    Now, thats pretty assuring. So effectively we can say a minimum of 5000 Priv units would have been already sold by now in a Weeks's time.

The number is then promising as BlackBerry is yet to deliver orders and fact that stores had only a few of em in stock and were all sold out.
    5000 in a week is promising? WTF planet are you coming from? For a point of reference you can use this little tidbit from the company that ***** slapped BB. Apple sold 10 million 6 and 6s combined in the first 3 day of launch
    11-14-15 04:52 AM
    Well we saw the shopblackberry numbers in the pre-order they were selling about 40 a day before they shut the loophole that allowed us to see stock and sales. As far as I am aware, they never sold out the intital 1000 pre-sale before it went on general release.

let's consider the Samsung s6 and Samsung galaxy note and their online sales - something that Samsung put millions behind in terms of marketing and advertising:

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Sales Outpace Galaxy S6 Edge Plus Online In US

Now take into consideration that Samsung with Apple accounts represented 66% of all smartphones sold in the US and between them represent 9 of the top 10 most-sold smartphones.

So for the numbers you are talking about - BBRY with no advertising, limited availability and a rather toxic brand would have to performing at a Samsung or above level. I just don't see that as credible.
    Where did you get your data? The combined average sales on a daily basis for the s6 edge and Note 5 reached about 25,000...so let's just split it down the middle and say 12,500 per day per device. Based on the demand we have seen for the Priv, my estimate may turn out to be quite conservative.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ are selling much better than the Galaxy Note 4 - SamMobile
    11-14-15 09:50 AM
    Look at my link provided then notice you are comparing Samsung's global sales where i am providing us online sales
    11-14-15 09:54 AM
    5000 in a week is promising? WTF planet are you coming from? For a point of reference you can use this little tidbit from the company that ***** slapped BB. Apple sold 10 million 6 and 6s combined in the first 3 day of launch
    Hey I can play this game too!

Number of iPhone downloads = 52,958*rank-(0.944)
    This means that the second highest ranked iPhone application would get 52,958 * 2-.944 downloads per day, which is 27,522 downloads per day. Assuming it was a new version of the same app...if we were using downloads as a measure for sales then one would have concluded they sold 82,566 in 3 days...not 10 million.

If the iphone sold 10 million units and there were 82,566 downloads, then that's a 121:1 sales to downloads ratio.

This ratio can be applied to the Priv. The Priv's hub app has 5000 downloads x 121 = 605,000 Privs sold!
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 11-14-15 at 10:57 AM.
    11-14-15 10:30 AM
    This ratio can be applied to the Priv. The Priv's hub app has 5000 downloads x 121 = 605,000 Privs sold!
    When you consider that iPhone sold only 270,000 units in its first quarter of sales that is amazing!
    11-14-15 11:03 AM
59 123