The bigger problem is that some apps do not integrate into the Hub so when you hear a message tone you have to check two notification trays, Hub and Android.
    Can we set different tones in notification center for apps supported by Hub and the apps not supported by Hub?

In that way you know where to check when you hear the tone.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-01-15 04:14 PM
    If anything it's just a testament to how good BB10 is.
    11-01-15 04:37 PM
    Yeah too good so people do not buy it...
    11-01-15 04:54 PM
    I find it shady on BLACKBERRY'S behalf. Without publicly acknowledging the limitation of the HUB and leading it's customers to believe it will be "special feature" is fine. They should thoroughly inform it's customers before accepting orders

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 06:14 PM
    Just to clarify and remember that the phone is not out yet and the software may be tweaked before launch (the Hub last updated on October 26).

You receive SMS.
    The Hub and Messenger app on your home screen both display a spark on the icon.
    You also get an SMS notification in your Android tray and a pop up if you have that enabled.

Scenario 1.
    You open messenger app and read the message.
    Spark disappears from Messenger.
    Notification disappears from Android tray.
    Spark remains on Hub icon, but if you open Hub the message is shown as read.

Scenario 2.
    You delete the notification from Android tray.
    Spark disappears from Messenger icon.
    Spark remains on Hub.

Scenario 3.
    You open Hub and see the message but do not click on it.
    Spark disappears from Hub.
    Spark remains on Messenger.

The bigger problem is that some apps do not integrate into the Hub so when you hear a message tone you have to check two notification trays, Hub and Android.

Also you can delete SMS messages in Hub and the also disappear from Messenger but oddly you can not compose an SMS in Hub or reply directly to one.
    It bothers me that I've been promoting this phone to so many people and now if they choose to get it, they will be coming to me with their questions and or concerns.

Next time I will only be promoting a finished product

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 06:17 PM
    I cannot see the phone being released with this duplicate notification issue, if it does then I'll still keep the Priv but will stick to my passport until it is fixed.....

But nothing can be 100% until the phone is officially released.

"I roll with 2 passports, 1 for travelling and 1 for communicating"
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-01-15 07:08 PM
    All cell phones need to be tweaked you are so right. Seems some want to ***** without seeing it first hand. This is new territory for all of us though with our blackberry giving others the cool features we love. In a way it is a shame we have come to this because blackberry cannot market a good thing.
    +1
    11-01-15 08:02 PM
    Android is open source. BlackBerry can do whatever it wants with Android as long as it doesn't break compatibility.

If this problem exists, it is because BlackBerry didn't have the time to engineer a solution.

Posted via CB10
    And who really knows, there could be an update waiting on Friday.

Canadian  вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-01-15 08:14 PM
    In android it is possible to ignore notifications in the system notification pulldown.

I would imagine this would have no effect on the hub and would allow for completely separate sets of user defined notifications.

!
    11-01-15 08:18 PM
    Which is why, if you don't need a lot of apps, some of us are all over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
    p.s. sorry if I've offended any hobos out there
    11-01-15 08:24 PM
    Yeah too good so people do not buy it...

The OS, not the app situation or the device marketing... :-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    Lawmen23 likes this.
    11-01-15 10:15 PM
    No AOSP is open source, if they want to comply with google's Android, they have to hit all of the MUST in this document (then another more mysterious process to get GAPPS).
    From your link:

"Device implementers MAY provide an alternative user experience for notifications than that provided by the reference Android Open Source implementation; however, such alternative notification systems MUST support existing notification resources, as above."

I really do not see why Google would care if one uses the stock notification center or develop their own as long as new center meets the requirements set forth by "Google Android".

So the only way the Hub could replace the Android notification center is if the Hub has all the same capabilities which at this moment looks as though it does not. It should not be too difficult to do so and then redirect traffic from the stock notification center to the Hub, it should work and won't break compatibility.

I did not find anything in the document stating that if two notification centers exist on the same device than only the stock notification center can take control upfront and foremost.
    11-01-15 10:54 PM
    From your link:

"Device implementers MAY provide an alternative user experience for notifications than that provided by the reference Android Open Source implementation; however, such alternative notification systems MUST support existing notification resources, as above."

I really do not see why Google would care if one uses the stock notification center or develop their own as long as new center meets the requirements set forth by "Google Android".

So the only way the Hub could replace the Android notification center is if the Hub has all the same capabilities which at this moment looks as though it does not. It should not be too difficult to do so and then redirect traffic from the stock notification center to the Hub, it should work and won't break compatibility.

I did not find anything in the document stating that if two notification centers exist on the same device than only the stock notification center can take control upfront and foremost.
    Em.. yeah as covered above - keep up at the back.
    11-02-15 12:40 AM
    Now when everyone starts a new thread because there's a rumoured problem...

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 03:01 AM
    For **** sake.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 03:37 AM
    Now when everyone starts a new thread because there's a rumoured problem...

Posted via CB10
    I didn't start this thread for any regular rumored problem. I started because this could be a big deal for lots of people and may not be fixed for a long time. And from Privberry 's posts I believe he is credible. He didn't blindly praise or criticize the device.

I didn't start a thread for the front facing camera problem because it's well exposed and I don't care. I didn't start a thread for @evleaks 's report on the buggy and beta experience because I know BlackBerry will be able to fix them in following releases.

I started this thread because BlackBerry may not be able to fix it from app side. Google may have to do something at Android side to enable what BlackBerry wants to do. And I am not sure Google is willing to tailor Android for BlackBerry 's interest.

Never mind, enjoy your Monday.

Q10Bold likes this.
    11-02-15 07:13 AM
    So if a message supported by Hub comes, if I understand this correctly, we will get both Hub notification and the Android notification. If we read the message in HUB, the Hub notification for this message would be cleared, but in Android notification center, this message will still shows as unread. We will have to click the message in the notification center to clear the unread status there.
    This shouldn't be the case for email, since other email apps on Android do clear the tray notification when the app is opened. And the Hub is, first and foremost, an email app (on Android).

For other messages, the tray notification is only cleared if the Android OS recognizes the Hub as an app for those messages. And that's the problem. A Facebook notification comes in through the Facebook app. The OS links that notification to that app, and doesn't clear it until that app is opened to deal with it. If that notification appears in the Hub, and the user then taps the notification and the Hub then causes the Facebook app to open, the tray notification should go away. But if the user decides not to open it but just deletes it from the Hub, it's going to stay in the tray, because only the Facebook app can delete that notification in the try (or the user doing so manually by swiping it away).

If the app is written to allow the Hub to talk to it, the Hub could tell the app to clear the tray notification. Or if the app has public APIs, BlackBerry can actually build it into the Hub, making the Hub a client for that service. Apart from that, we're stuck with the redundant notifications. And unfortunately, although you can turn off sound, toast, and LED notifications per app, you can't turn off tray notifications unless you disable ALL notifications. There are some apps that I wish would just blink or beep, but not load the tray with notifications, and I've learned this can't be done in Android.

I'm not planning to buy the Priv anyway at this stage, but I'm pretty sure I'd find this annoying rather quickly. I'd probably end up using the Hub as a unified email inbox and little or nothing else.
    cgk likes this.
    11-02-15 07:55 AM
    Here's another possibility. On my nexus 5, if I receive a sms, BBM, Facebook, twitter, or any kind of notification really, it pops up in the tray at the top of the screen. Regardless of whether I open the notification from the tray or through the app itself, the notification disappears from the tray.

That being said, assuming that the hub works in a similar manner as the Android system tray, the same logic should apply. If we open, for example, a SMS notification from the hub, I am of the understanding that the hub actually initiates the SMS app (hangouts or messenger). If this is the case, wouldn't this trigger the same reaction as what I first described with my nexus 5 (message is opened from app, notification disappears from notification tray)? It just sounds like the hub is still CURRENTLY needing some polish, like it has been mentioned numerous times already, but the possibility should be there for it to play nicely with the Android notification system.

On a side note, typing this lost on my nexus makes me realize how desperately i miss my pkb.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-02-15 08:05 AM
    Look...you are all going crazy for something we dont even know is a problem. I am pretty sure even on stock android you can now control how each app has notifcations set up. As seen in the screens below you can turn of notifications for each app. It all depends on how the hub gets its info. You might be able to silence the notifications from the apps themselves and just let the hub handle it if you are getting double notifications. And for that info we do not have a clear picture and wont until later this week
    Attached Thumbnails Rumored problem: Android notifications can't be cleared by Hub-53901.jpg   Rumored problem: Android notifications can't be cleared by Hub-53902.jpg  
    11-02-15 08:10 AM
    I don't really get all the fuss about this, yes it could be annoying but its not hard to turn off the android notifications.

I thought more choices was one of the benefits of android, if you don't like them, then stop them, simple as that.
    11-02-15 08:12 AM
    Out of all the problems exposed by @Privberry and @evleaks (thank you both BTW), the only one concerns me is the notification problem reported by @Privberry.

So if a message supported by Hub comes, if I understand this correctly, we will get both Hub notification and the Android notification. If we read the message in HUB, the Hub notification for this message would be cleared, but in Android notification center, this message will still shows as unread. We will have to click the message in the notification center to clear the unread status there.

This could be a deal break for me (got spoiled by BB10 productivity) but it's only confirmed on the version of Priv @Privberry is using. Hopefully this gets address before the release in November.

Crackberry, can you live with this little inconvenience (if it exists)?

You never had a samsung android device I assume? That''s the exactly what happens if you setup your account on Samsung email client. Then you sign in for in android using google account, and guess what you get? The same thing you just explained for BB...that's why I was always coming back to BBOS or BB10. Nice and clean.
    11-02-15 08:13 AM
    This shouldn't be the case for email, since other email apps on Android do clear the tray notification when the app is opened. And the Hub is, first and foremost, an email app (on Android).

For other messages, the tray notification is only cleared if the Android OS recognizes the Hub as an app for those messages. And that's the problem. A Facebook notification comes in through the Facebook app. The OS links that notification to that app, and doesn't clear it until that app is opened to deal with it. If that notification appears in the Hub, and the user then taps the notification and the Hub then causes the Facebook app to open, the tray notification should go away. But if the user decides not to open it but just deletes it from the Hub, it's going to stay in the tray, because only the Facebook app can delete that notification in the try (or the user doing so manually by swiping it away).

If the app is written to allow the Hub to talk to it, the Hub could tell the app to clear the tray notification. Or if the app has public APIs, BlackBerry can actually build it into the Hub, making the Hub a client for that service. Apart from that, we're stuck with the redundant notifications. And unfortunately, although you can turn off sound, toast, and LED notifications per app, you can't turn off tray notifications unless you disable ALL notifications. There are some apps that I wish would just blink or beep, but not load the tray with notifications, and I've learned this can't be done in Android.

I'm not planning to buy the Priv anyway at this stage, but I'm pretty sure I'd find this annoying rather quickly. I'd probably end up using the Hub as a unified email inbox and little or nothing else.
    Thanks for that. To recap for me; if I have 2 email addy's in the Hub, plus BBM, SMS, calendar appts and telephone notifications, I will be fine? as long as I omit twitter/FB and such like? I can simply set up MY Hub that way? And NO double notifications?
    11-02-15 08:16 AM
    Look...you are all going crazy for something we dont even know is a problem. I am pretty sure even on stock android you can now control how each app has notifcations set up. As seen in the screens below you can turn of notifications for each app. It all depends on how the hub gets its info. You might be able to silence the notifications from the apps themselves and just let the hub handle it if you are getting double notifications. And for that info we do not have a clear picture and wont until later this week
    Privberry said that Hub actually gets the notification from Android notification center, if you turn off the notification for the message app, you won't get it in HUB neither.

11-02-15 08:27 AM
    Thanks for that. To recap for me; if I have 2 email addy's in the Hub, plus BBM, SMS, calendar appts and telephone notifications, I will be fine? as long as I omit twitter/FB and such like? I can simply set up MY Hub that way? And NO double notifications?
    Not too sure about SMS and phone app, but email calendar should be fine because most email accounts supports multiple clients.

11-02-15 08:39 AM
    Privberry said that Hub actually gets the notification from Android notification center, if you turn off the notification for the message app, you won't get it in HUB neither.

From everything described so far and what we know - apps never talk to apps, they talk to the system and the system tells other apps what to do. So if you turn off system notification, you can enable them again in an individual app but an app cannot enable notification for another app. The fix *seems* to be for BBRY to replace the stock notifications system but either they a) don't want to, b) cannot for some reason we are unaware of or c) have another fix they will roll out and have actually done this and they are keeping it back for the release to make a bigger splash. As the app is not part of the OS, all this could be irrelevant by large.

Having said that, the other thing is that by and large, Google actually doesn't want apps do things on behalf of other apps, they'd rather the user evoked that app worked in it and then BACK to the previous app. You can do it but its not their preferred solution.
    11-02-15 08:55 AM
146 ... 23456