Out of all the problems exposed by @Privberry and @evleaks (thank you both BTW), the only one concerns me is the notification problem reported by @Privberry.

So if a message supported by Hub comes, if I understand this correctly, we will get both Hub notification and the Android notification. If we read the message in HUB, the Hub notification for this message would be cleared, but in Android notification center, this message will still shows as unread. We will have to click the message in the notification center to clear the unread status there.

This could be a deal break for me (got spoiled by BB10 productivity) but it's only confirmed on the version of Priv @Privberry is using. Hopefully this gets address before the release in November.

Crackberry, can you live with this little inconvenience (if it exists)?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-01-15 10:46 AM
    This doesn't bother me. Now that the Priv is going to reach the hands of thousands of people is where we are going to start to detect all the issues, and hopefully all they started to get patched. BB10 hub was pretty weak at the start too, it evolved a lot since BB10.0.

Android is still a denser forest for Blackberry, but in 2 or 3 months I expect everything to be smooth and running, especially when they release 6.0 update
    Theicecreamman likes this.
    11-01-15 10:49 AM
    Yep, that kind of shame that it works the way it's been explain.
    Do you still buy the priv?
    For myself in waiting to get hands on the windows 10 phone.
    Then decide which way to go.
    Also I have read somewhere that all the current bb 10 phone will be reduced in price.
    11-01-15 10:51 AM
    This hub/app dissociation will be fertile ground for negatively inclined reviewers.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-01-15 10:54 AM
    This doesn't bother me. Now that the Priv is going to reach the hands of thousands of people is where we are going to start to detect all the issues, and hopefully all they started to get patched. BB10 hub was pretty weak at the start too, it evolved a lot since BB10.0.

Android is still a denser forest for Blackberry, but in 2 or 3 months I expect everything to be smooth and running, especially when they release 6.0 update

I cannot see how they would be a patch given this is how Android notifications are suppose to work? (at least as much as I can understand from reading the compliance documents). If You turn off notifications at the system level you turn them off - the out with this is that you can turn notifications back on in individual apps but apps cannot control notifications for other apps because they don't directly talk to each other they go via the OS itself.

(hopefully some of that made sense).

I still think quite a few of you want something that BBRY cannot give you unless they did a fork of Android and baked the hub into the OS and thus had that control the notifications in the same way as it does on BB10.

The Priv is going to one of the best if not the best android productivity devices available.. but it's not a BB!0 device, it's not intended to be a BB10 device and it cannot be a BB10 device because BBRY don't have that control over the OS or its development.
    Last edited by cgk; 11-01-15 at 11:14 AM.
    m1kr0, idhbar, JeepBB and 14 others like this.
    11-01-15 10:55 AM
    I will probably buy the PRIV anyway given the price comes down a couple hundred dollars in the next six months. I need some android apps that don't run well on my Z10. I wish the android runtime was better for bb10. I would definitely stay with bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues likes this.
    11-01-15 10:58 AM
    There are all sorts of issues like this that are going to come up that are largely out of BlackBerry's control since Android isn't their platform to tinker with. There have been some fanciful ideas around here that BlackBerry could make a better Android or could somehow merge BB10 with Android. Really, all they can do is create apps like any other Android developer. They will have an app called the Hub but it almost certainly won't do anything that the Hub does in BB10.

Do you think that Black Berry invented the idea of combining messages into one stream? Twitter clearly only wants you to read and create content on their own app. They aren't going to facilitate users using them on other apps.
    Yertie likes this.
    11-01-15 11:08 AM
    really let get the bloody device first sheesh quit your complaining!!
    andy957 likes this.
    Well let's you can shut off the hub until it's actually working effectively

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 likes this.
    Hahaahahha Typical BlackBerry. Always coming with unfinished work

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-01-15 11:09 AM
    How about DON'T ADD an account into the hub? If you already knew that it would double the notifications by a certain account lets say facebook, then DO NOT ADD facebook account into the hub. -.-

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 11:13 AM
    I cannot see how they would be a patch given this is how Android notifications are suppose to work? (at least as much as I can understand from reading the compliance documents). If You turn off notifications at the system level you turn them off - the out with this is that you can turn notifications back on in individual apps but apps cannot control notifications for other apps because they don't directly talk to each other they go via the OS itself.

I still think quite a few of you want something that BBRY cannot give you unless they did a fork of Android and baked the hub into the OS and thus had that control the notifications in the same way as it does on BB10.

The Priv is going to one of the best if not the best android productivity devices available.. but it's not a BB!0 device, it's not intended to be a BB10 device and it cannot be a BB10 device because BBRY don't have that control over the OS or its development.
    Carefull with the generalization...

There are a few that just want Hub to be like it was on BB10 (wich wont happen), but i'm not one of those... I'm not expecting peek gestures or other stuff like that. All I want is a car to have 4 weels, the hub do what is suposed to do, gather messaging together, have at least the most important comunication apps work on it like whatsapp and facebook messenger work on it.

The hub is NOT suposed to be the inbox for SMS and Email like it seems to be at the moment, it's suposed to be an unified inbox for at least the most popular comunication apps. I can deal with it jumping to an app to reply, but it has to at least get the major apps together.

Because there's always someone aroud that might actually do it..
    Snowball Debuts A ?Priority Inbox? For Your Phone?s Notifications | TechCrunch
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    11-01-15 11:15 AM
    All this crying over things that aren't confirmed and before the phone is even out. You guys are the real damn problem. Spreading trash like this doesn't help the matter.

 Posted via CB10 - Passport - 10.3.2.2639 
    11-01-15 11:17 AM

Well according to privberry if you silence the android app notification, you still get a spark in the hub, just no sound / vibration / led. Isn't that "spark" technically a notification? So it can't be against the rules for the hub to notify you, why can't the hub itself have its own notification that you leave turned on that will have the sound etc... so basically you silence any of the hub integrated apps and not the hub itself and when the hub puts up a spark it makes its own notification?

Posted via CB10
    chrispmoto likes this.
    11-01-15 11:18 AM
    Carefull with the generalization...
    Sorry the 'you' there is the general you not you.

The hub is NOT suposed to be the inbox for SMS and Email like it seems to be at the moment, it's suposed to be an unified inbox for at least the most popular comunication apps. I can deal with it jumping to an app to reply, but it has to at least get the major apps together.
    That can happen - but what cannot happen is that they can get it to act outside of how Google say it has to work.

Because there's always someone aroud that might actually do it..
    Snowball Debuts A ?Priority Inbox? For Your Phone?s Notifications | TechCrunch
    I tried snowball - what it does is organise the notifications in the panel in an order but it is still subject to the things I mentioned previously and has all of those limitations. BBRY could do that but you'd actually need two separate apps.

Well according to privberry if you silence the android app notification, you still get a spark in the hub, just no sound / vibration / led. Isn't that "spark" technically a notification? So it can't be against the rules for the hub to notify you, why can't the hub itself have its own notification that you leave turned on that will have the sound etc... so basically you silence any of the hub integrated apps and not the hub itself and when the hub puts up a spark it makes its own notification?

Posted via CB10
    The hub can have its own notifications - the problem is you cannot tell the system to turn off notifications and then get hub to turn on notifications for other apps - Does that make more sense?

So on my wife's nexus, I've turned off all of the notification sounds (she hates them) at the system level and then I tuned them back on for text in the text app - but the text app cannot control notifications for the email app.

Who knows - maybe BBRY can come up with a workaround that is compliant.
    11-01-15 11:19 AM
    Sorry the 'you' there is the general you not you.

That can happen - but what cannot happen is that they can get it to act outside of how Google say it has to work.

I tried snowball - what it does is organise the notifications in the panel in an order but it is still subject to the things I mentioned previously and has all of those limitations. BBRY could do that but you'd actually need two separate apps.
    I'm just assuming this from the tweets. I got the feeling that the HUB just isn't a "finished product". The hub has to somehow clear the notifications when you open, otherwise it would be a actually a setback and a time waster. Because if not, after you read a message, you have to go after clear the notification tray, otherwise you're going to pile a bunch of notifications, wich will stop doing what they are suposed to do, that is Notify you.
    11-01-15 11:25 AM
    All this crying over things that aren't confirmed and before the phone is even out. You guys are the real damn problem. Spreading trash like this doesn't help the matter.

 Posted via CB10 - Passport - 10.3.2.2639 
    +1
    11-01-15 11:27 AM
    There are all sorts of issues like this that are going to come up that are largely out of BlackBerry's control since Android isn't their platform to tinker with. There have been some fanciful ideas around here that BlackBerry could make a better Android or could somehow merge BB10 with Android. Really, all they can do is create apps like any other Android developer. They will have an app called the Hub but it almost certainly won't do anything that the Hub does in BB10.

Do you think that Black Berry invented the idea of combining messages into one stream? Twitter clearly only wants you to read and create content on their own app. They aren't going to facilitate users using them on other apps.
    Android is open source. BlackBerry can do whatever it wants with Android as long as it doesn't break compatibility.

If this problem exists, it is because BlackBerry didn't have the time to engineer a solution.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-01-15 11:28 AM
    I'm just assuming this from the tweets. I got the feeling that the HUB just isn't a "finished product". .
    Well I think it's not finished in that they should be able to add more services but I don't think any of that will change that its an app not baked into the OS. Remember as well, BBRY need to account for the fact that a sizable amount of people will either never use Hub or just use it for email - so there is the resource question.
    11-01-15 11:29 AM

The hub can have its own notifications - the problem is you cannot tell the system to turn off notifications and then get hub to turn on notifications for other apps - Does that make more sense?

So on my wife's nexus, I've turned off all of the notification sounds (she hates them) at the system level and then I tuned them back on for text in the text app - but the text app cannot control notifications for the email app.

Who knows - maybe BBRY can come up with a workaround that is compliant.
    Sorry I've never used an android, so are you saying that you only have the option to turn off all notifications system wide and then you have to go into each app and turn the ones you want back on? You can't simply turn off only the ones you want? I completely understand that the hub app might not be permitted to do this, but I'm suggesting that the user themselves would make the settings changes, perhaps with instruction from the hub app.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 11:32 AM
    Android is open source. BlackBerry can do whatever it wants with Android as long as it doesn't break compatibility.
    No AOSP is open source, if they want to comply with google's Android, they have to hit all of the MUST in this document (then another more mysterious process to get GAPPS).
    11-01-15 11:36 AM
    Sorry I've never used an android, so are you saying that you only have the option to turn off all notifications system wide and then you have to go into each app and turn the ones you want back on? You can't simply turn off only the ones you want?
    No, you can leave them all on and then turn off in each individual app. You can also turn off most of them at the system level and then turn on in individual apps... but...

I completely understand that the hub app might not be permitted to do this, but I'm suggesting that the user themselves would make the settings changes, perhaps with instruction from the hub app.
    I think that's the sticker, there is no way I think that you can turn off system notification AND get the Hub to control the individual apps that users give permissions to individual apps.

(I'm explaining this poorly, maybe someone else can do it better).

wait maybe a more simple way to think about it - is that Hub can collect notifications sent to it by system, hub cannot collect notifications directly from apps.
    yvpan1 likes this.
    11-01-15 11:39 AM
    Now we're really going to wish folks over at XDA can eventually root this thing and do what BlackBerry isn't 'allowed' to do.

Posted via CB10
    lactose likes this.
    11-01-15 11:39 AM
    I just don't understand why if privberry says, when he turns off notifications the hub still shows a spark. I can't get my brain around why if the hub can make a spark, you can't simply turn on only it's own notifications and have it play a sound.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 11:41 AM
    No AOSP is open source, if they want to comply with google's Android, they have to hit all of the MUST in this document (then another more mysterious process to get GAPPS).
    I know that. That's why I said BlackBerry can't break compatibility.

Again, BlackBerry could engineer a solution.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 11:43 AM
146 123 ...