That benefits Google, not BlackBerry.
    It benefits BlackBerry if they are the channel through which Google wishes to do it.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 11:13 PM
    It benefits BlackBerry if they are the channel through which Google wishes to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Being 2nd is nothing to brag about. Having X features first might be. What new features in 6.0 will that be? Unless it's the corner stone of marketing, stable 5.1 would be more polished and stable and likely more secure.
    CdnBBFan likes this.
    10-11-15 11:36 PM
    I don't think Google is too concerned about BB10's 0.02% marketshare to have them sacrifice anything. I'm sure Google would just love to have BlackBerry get to 3.02% overall if it means adding 3% Android to the existing BlackBerry pie.
    Why would google want this?
    What does google get out of it?
    10-11-15 11:38 PM
    Because when Google bought Android only one of the three top dogs at Google actually approved of the deal. Because "the Boss of Android" Andy Rubin could not figure out how to monetize Android even though he forced everyone to adopt GApps and services. Because even though Android has over 85% of the total world market Apple makes more money from mobile than all other handsets combined. Because Microsoft makes more money from Android than does Google. Because Samsung makes more money from Android than Google. And so on.

Bottom line is that the Priv is aimed at business/enterprise and business men and women are most likely to, gasp, pay for apps. I know, I know, Android is all about being "free" and having the choice of 1M free apps; but free does not pay the bills. Google fears Samsung opening their own store/market and needs more people to purchase more apps from the Play Store if they want it to stay relevant.
    10-12-15 01:46 AM
    The specs I'm assuming they found on another article/forum thread and rehashed them here, but that sales goal? Where did they get the 5 million units number from?

John Chen:

BlackBerry bets on Android's apps to buoy new Priv - The Globe and Mail

Yes he definitely said 5 million Privs or else. That is 5 Million in one year not one quarter.
    The 5M Chen has recently referred-to appears to be BlackBerry's entire handset business, not just Privs. Regardless, it's a pretty low number. Even if they meet it, their devices will still be close to invisible to the general public.

And I personally think shipping a flagship device like that at this point in time (presumably November) with 5.1 would be a bit dumb. Especially since one of the most interesting new features of 6.0 is one of the long-missing features of Android - granular app permissions. And not some "experimental" hidden feature, or something bolted-on, but something designed to actually work reliably this time without requiring rooting of the device.

I assume when Chen refers to making it "more secure next year", he is likely referring to a 6.x update.
    10-12-15 02:06 AM
    BlackBerry Priv to go down in history as pivotal release - GeekSnack

"Most likely, the handset will run on Android 5.1 Lollipop, but there�s a distinct possibility of it being the first non-Nexus smartphone to come with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box. Insiders from Google have told us that in an effort to boost Android reach as well as get a new, very important partner on board, Google is going to allow BlackBerry to use the new version of Android to gain more popularity for the BlackBerry Priv. Since that is unconfirmed and basically just a rumor at this point, I would take it with a grain of salt, if I were you."
    I'm not sure about Android, but if we agree on the concept ( concept = BlackBerry running on Android), then this is a good news going in the right direction.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 02:11 AM
    Because even though Android has over 85% of the total world market Apple makes more money from mobile than all other handsets combined. Because Microsoft makes more money from Android than does Google. Because Samsung makes more money from Android than Google. And so on.
    I'd like to see your cites for those things, because I don't believe them.

Prior to the last year or so, the only 2 companies that were making significant profit from smartphones were Apple and Samsung. Prior to Samsung's recent profit slump, my impression was that they were making quite a lot of money from Android actually. (In stark contrast to almost all of the other Android OEMs.) Neither do I think Microsoft makes much if any money from Android, Nokia was losing money hand-over-fist when Microsoft bought them.

Do not forget that Google never intended to make money from licensing Android itself - they don't charge Android license fees. However Google makes boatloads of money from the way Android feeds revenue into Google's advertising and data-collecting businesses, which I believe are the top reasons for Android's existence anyway. They also take a share of the revenue from app developers*, and so on.

*(Google distributed $7 Billion in commissions on Gplay sales back in 2013, surely much higher nowadays. link)

Bottom line is that the Priv is aimed at business/enterprise and business men and women are most likely to, gasp, pay for apps. I know, I know, Android is all about being "free" and having the choice of 1M free apps; but free does not pay the bills. Google fears Samsung opening their own store/market and needs more people to purchase more apps from the Play Store if they want it to stay relevant.
    Blackberry's contribution to Gplay sales is likely to be insignificant. But Blackberry has other strategic value to Google, eg as a major player in the MDM/EMM and regulated agency/industry market, as a holder of a variety of patents that they might want to cross-license, as a key player in the automobile infotainment/connected car market, healthcare market, etc etc.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-12-15 02:22 AM
    I don't really care what version of Android the Priv ships with, i just want it to be loaded with BB10 OS
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    10-12-15 03:29 AM
    Because when Google bought Android only one of the three top dogs at Google actually approved of the deal. Because "the Boss of Android" Andy Rubin could not figure out how to monetize Android even though he forced everyone to adopt GApps and services. Because even though Android has over 85% of the total world market Apple makes more money from mobile than all other handsets combined. Because Microsoft makes more money from Android than does Google. Because Samsung makes more money from Android than Google. And so on.

The 3% market share in question is already android. It's not coming from Apple.
    10-12-15 03:30 AM
    If you watch the entire recode interview Chen said that Priv is on Lollipop and will migrate to Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    Awwh, don't spoil it with facts... LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-12-15 05:43 AM
    I think Google is treating BlackBerry like just any other OEM... as long as BlackBerry plays by the same rules as everyone else, they can use Android. Plain and Simple.

Then again that would be a good excuse to delay the PRIV.... "we have found that android lollipop doesn't meet our high standards of security and will be delaying out launch till the 1st quarter of 2016 in order to use Android "M"s more secure design features." Which would move the PRIV's release to about the time the Snapdragon 820 processor start showing up in other Flagship phones.... putting the PRIV in the middle of the hardware specs pack. So yeah they had better just stick to Android L and release this thing real soon or they are going to have a hard time selling it.
    redantz, Allanon89 and Sator like this.
    10-12-15 08:30 AM
    I think Google is treating BlackBerry like just any other OEM... as long as BlackBerry plays by the same rules as everyone else, they can use Android. Plain and Simple.

Then again that would be a good excuse to delay the PRIV.... "we have found that android lollipop doesn't meet our high standards of security and will be delaying out launch till the 1st quarter of 2016 in order to use Android "M"s more secure design features." Which would move the PRIV's release to about the time the Snapdragon 820 processor start showing up in other Flagship phones.... putting the PRIV in the middle of the hardware specs pack. So yeah they had better just stick to Android L and release this thing real soon or they are going to have a hard time selling it.

Lol... throwing every existing Android device under the bus would surely be a great way to get on Google's good side.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 08:47 AM

Lol... throwing every existing Android device under the bus would surely be a great way to get on Google's good side.
    What part of what s/he wrote constitutes "throwing every existing Android device under the bus"??
    10-12-15 10:52 AM
    What part of what s/he wrote constitutes "throwing every existing Android device under the bus"??
    "Then again that would be a good excuse to delay the PRIV.... "we have found that android lollipop doesn't meet our high standards of security and will be delaying out launch till the 1st quarter of 2016 in order to use Android "M"s more secure design features."

Basically saying every existing Android device is fatally flawed, and calling into question the ability of their main partner (Google) to write good software.

Do you really think Google would let that fly? No.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-12-15 11:27 AM
    Chen said Lolippop then M (code/mobile)
    10-12-15 12:11 PM
    Google want a hardware that can really showcase the capability of latest android - that is why Nexus 6P and 5X exist. It is common knowledge you would need both sofeware and hardware co-design, in order to utilize and implment the feature and best user performance. Initial BB10 device's short coming was hardware that underestimated the QNX's memory/power hungary nature. Many defficiency or limitaion in either hardware or software can be minimized by the other, if concurent design take place. Apple has advantage of put both under one design control. Google is try to do the same (Hopefully, the BB is not going to lose its major advantage of hardware/software integration). If Google is happy with partner hardware only, I don't think they would go all the way out to get Huawei made 6P and LG made 5X. As for hardware spec, 6P uses 2.0 GHz octa-core snapdragon 810 with 3GB of Ram, 12.3 MP camera and 8MP front camera, 5.7 inch display, just slightly bigger compare to iphone 6S. Let's see how it stack up on the software side. Swift programming suppose to be efficient, the battery life would tell the story. In addition, the new handsets got build in capability of some next gen feature in hardware... that is main advantage for the design - remind me the old days of memory chip = built in high capacity before the bus can handle it... when new technology is ready, you can implment easily - either due to standards, or physical assets (as for processor, bigger is not neccessary better performance). (ref. "Google is Acting More Like a Phone Maker" - Businessweek). - my 2cents. (I keep my finger across for BB10 hardware and software, if design properly, unlock the hidden advantage would be really awesome).
    10-12-15 12:12 PM
    Google want a hardware that can really showcase the capability of latest android - that is why Nexus 6P and 5X exist. It is common knowledge you would need both sofeware and hardware co-design, in order to utilize and implment the feature and best user performance. Initial BB10 device's short coming was hardware that underestimated the QNX's memory/power hungary nature. Many defficiency or limitaion in either hardware or software can be minimized by the other, if concurent design take place. Apple has advantage of put both under one design control. Google is try to do the same (Hopefully, the BB is not going to lose its major advantage of hardware/software integration). If Google is happy with partner hardware only, I don't think they would go all the way out to get Huawei made 6P and LG made 5X. As for hardware spec, 6P uses 2.0 GHz octa-core snapdragon 810 with 3GB of Ram, 12.3 MP camera and 8MP front camera, 5.7 inch display, just slightly bigger compare to iphone 6S. Let's see how it stack up on the software side. Swift programming suppose to be efficient, the battery life would tell the story. In addition, the new handsets got build in capability of some next gen feature in hardware... that is main advantage for the design - remind me the old days of memory chip = built in high capacity before the bus can handle it... when new technology is ready, you can implment easily - either due to standards, or physical assets (as for processor, bigger is not neccessary better performance). (ref. "Google is Acting More Like a Phone Maker" - Businessweek). - my 2cents. (I keep my finger across for BB10 hardware and software, if design properly, unlock the hidden advantage would be really awesome).
    I think that's pure gish gallop.
    10-12-15 01:02 PM
    The author of the article takes several liberties on info that we already know of, notably:

And:

The specs I'm assuming they found on another article/forum thread and rehashed them here, but that sales goal? Where did they get the 5 million units number from?

Posted via CB10
    Then he's dropped the numbers. In a prior interview(with the Hot Chic), Chen mentioned 10 million units as the number to Ship (assuming he wants to sell and not store in warehouses like the last CEO) and make a profit. So, now he's not sure after saying in the interview that he believed in the Priv and needs to sell 5 Million.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 10-12-15 at 02:08 PM.
    10-12-15 01:54 PM
    I think that's pure gish gallop.
    LOL..... What you don't think they'll be able to put all the upgraded featured of the 820 Processor into the PRIV with a push of a button?

I'm not sure who else wanted to make a Nexus phone.... as they haven't been huge sales success.
    The Nexus program is odd in that it combines this same core purpose of providing devices to developers with the fanfare and branding of a consumer product, albeit a niche one.
    But I think he totally missed that the PRIV is a generation behind the 5x and two generations behind the 6P.... when it comes to hardware. And it's a generation behind on the software front too.... so again of what benefit is it to Google to want to showcase Android Lollipop running on hardware that has been on the market for months now?

Google don't care! As long as BlackBerry follows the set rule... they are fine adding Android vendor number 3,681 to their list.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-12-15 02:02 PM
    Then he's dropped the numbers. In a prior interview(with the Hot Chic), Chen mentioned 10 million units as the number to sell and make a profit. So, now he's not sure after saying in the interview that he believed in the Priv.
    Yeah he dropped the number...

I think with the ending of BB10 development and associated costs. Along with the new manufacturing/design/inventory control partnerships, the "cost" of doing business has greatly gone down for the hardware division, so a fewer number of devices need to be sold in order to break even or to see a profit than back in the BB10 / BlackBerry does it all days. But also those device have to be sold at the levels that Chen is planning. If they release the PRIV at say $650 and sales slump and they drop the price to $499.... that might then mean they need to sell 7 Million to equal the same level of revenue and or profits.
    10-12-15 02:07 PM
    Hope so. Would boost sales for sure.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-12-15 02:20 PM
    Yeah he dropped the number...

I think with the ending of BB10 development and associated costs. Along with the new manufacturing/design/inventory control partnerships, the "cost" of doing business has greatly gone down for the hardware division, so a fewer number of devices need to be sold in order to break even or to see a profit than back in the BB10 / BlackBerry does it all days. But also those device have to be sold at the levels that Chen is planning. If they release the PRIV at say $650 and sales slump and they drop the price to $499.... that might then mean they need to sell 7 Million to equal the same level of revenue and or profits.
    That's a good price- especially for BlackBerry. My one wish for BlackBerry is to have the OS, bugs worked out before releasing.....and light a fire under at&t and the other carriers to not talk against the device because it is attached to BlackBerry.
    10-12-15 02:29 PM
    LOL..... What you don't think they'll be able to put all the upgraded featured of the 820 Processor into the PRIV with a push of a button?

I'm not sure who else wanted to make a Nexus phone.... as they haven't been huge sales success.

But I think he totally missed that the PRIV is a generation behind the 5x and two generations behind the 6P.... when it comes to hardware. And it's a generation behind on the software front too.... so again of what benefit is it to Google to want to showcase Android Lollipop running on hardware that has been on the market for months now?

Google don't care! As long as BlackBerry follows the set rule... they are fine adding Android vendor number 3,681 to their list.
    How is the Priv a generation behind the 5X hardware wise? They have the same CPU, the Priv is rumored at least to have more RAM, and an SD slot, and the base 5X has less storage. The 5X also has a lower res screen. The 6P has an 810, which is theoretically but not practically faster. Software, we just have to hope Blackberry can push out updates quickly. When it comes to Android, Nexus devices always get updates first. Motorola and Nvidia to an extent are relatively quick with updates, if Blackberry can keep up with their pace that's a realistic and good speed.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-12-15 02:36 PM
    There's really no reason they can't update their OS fast seeing how they only have 1 android phone right now to maintain and also how they kept most of stock android appearance wise.
    10-12-15 04:08 PM
    There's really no reason they can't update their OS fast seeing how they only have 1 android phone right now to maintain and also how they kept most of stock android appearance wise.
    The bottleneck is and will always be, the carriers. They are the biggest holdup!
    10-12-15 04:44 PM
66 123