I'd be more worried about openssl type of hacks (heartbleed anyone) vs rooting. BlackBerry is now on the hook for an OS they don't control.
    mister2d and lift like this.
    11-12-15 03:25 PM
    Not everyone bought the Priv for the security features. I am an average consumer that just loved seeing something different in the sliding capacitve keyboard and hub integration. I already loved the curved edges of the edge and this phone nailed it design wise.
    kertong likes this.
    11-12-15 03:42 PM
    You don't 'need' the device to root it. All you would need is a known exploit and a way to run it on the phone remotely.

1. Person clicks on malicious link
    2. link runs on users device
    3. the exploit is triggered and modifies the OS portion of the memory
    4. this modification gives your browser root access
    5. The site sends the rest of the payload and installs a hidden server on your device with root access
    6. The program is now installed and can send, receive files and hide it's existence from the owner or any google services.
    Yeah but I think that's a bit too much, people normaly refeer rooting as loading a different version of the OS on purpose. But yeah, I guess you're right
    11-12-15 04:07 PM
    Interesting that it hasn't yet been rooted though.... usually devices are rooted before they even hit stores these days lol
    diegonei likes this.
    11-12-15 05:06 PM
    "Rooting the Priv?"

I personally believe that it's possible, but it's probably going to be exceptionally difficult.
    11-12-15 06:44 PM
    It's going to happen. Maybe not anytime soon but if BlackBerry continues to produce new models of Android handsets, someone will take a serious attempt at it. BlackBerry keeps touting the security feature that distinguishes them from other Androids (and a PKB) so someone will be out to break a hole in that security.
    It will show up at something like the blackhat convention.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 08:45 PM
    Do you want it running BB10 or Android?

You know that it is not actually hacked or anything but it is actually a test OS released by BlackBerry running on the Passport?
    I am sure you know it, but just in case if you don't look at the video again.
    11-13-15 01:56 AM
    Interesting that it hasn't yet been rooted though.... usually devices are rooted before they even hit stores these days lol
    +1 they even often use early builds to exploit unpatched vulnerabilities or "work in progress" stuff (remember the PB).
    11-13-15 07:19 AM
    You know that it is not actually hacked or anything but it is actually a test OS released by BlackBerry running on the Passport?
    I am sure you know it, but just in case if you don't look at the video again.
    The video doesn't state how it was loaded or where it is from. The video it's in Portuguese (brazilian accent), I'm Portuguese...

Even if it is loaded from blackberry doesn't invalidate anything. The hardware probably is the exact same, they just loaded a Android OS that is signed so it doesn't break the trust chain. Things leak from companys, and with recent layoffs from blackberry, wouldn't be surprised to se something like this leaking. BB10 builds were leaking all the time
    11-13-15 04:02 PM
    The video doesn't state how it was loaded or where it is from. The video it's in Portuguese (brazilian accent), I'm Portuguese...

Even if it is loaded from blackberry doesn't invalidate anything. The hardware probably is the exact same, they just loaded a Android OS that is signed so it doesn't break the trust chain. Things leak from companys, and with recent layoffs from blackberry, wouldn't be surprised to se something like this leaking. BB10 builds were leaking all the time
    That is exactly what I believe it is..
    Also, if you pay attention you will see PIN number on the four corners of the screen just like BB10 early builds.
    11-13-15 04:12 PM
    sorry pal but that's a lie..Silent Circle disable the protection to enable an update and then is when it was rooted. The lie on this site are amazing but please keep believing BB is secure..yeah right! Even Chen said Blackphone is more secure..he must be a liar too then lol
    11-13-15 09:26 PM
    sorry pal but that's a lie..Silent Circle disable the protection to enable an update and then is when it was rooted. The lie on this site are amazing but please keep believing BB is secure..yeah right! Even Chen said Blackphone is more secure..he must be a liar too then lol
    So they had to disable the protection to do an update? And it was rooted at that point?
    So where's the lie? Phone was rooted. It was patched right away but it was still rooted.
    A root is a root no matter how it was achieved.

If someone has to supercool the phone to -300 kelvin and solder jumpers and bypass circuits to root a phone the phone is still rooted. If when doing an update a packet was sent to remotely root the phone it's still rooted. Some are easier than others.

Those that think that any phone is secure is delusional. Some are more than others but in the end there's always an in.
    I couldn't care less how it was achieved. The end result is what matters.

Posted via CB10
    Steve Rizla likes this.
    11-13-15 11:36 PM
    So they had to disable the protection to do an update? And it was rooted at that point?
    So where's the lie? Phone was rooted. It was patched right away but it was still rooted.
    A root is a root no matter how it was achieved.

If someone has to supercool the phone to -300 kelvin and solder jumpers and bypass circuits to root a phone the phone is still rooted. If when doing an update a packet was sent to remotely root the phone it's still rooted. Some are easier than others.

Those that think that any phone is secure is delusional. Some are more than others but in the end there's always an in.
    I couldn't care less how it was achieved. The end result is what matters.

Posted via CB10
    If you need to cool it to -300 Kelvin to root it, then the phone is actually unrootable.

0 Kelvin is the lowest possible. It's not reachable.
    11-14-15 12:02 AM
    If you need to cool it to -300 Kelvin to root it, then the phone is actually unrootable.

0 Kelvin is the lowest possible. It's not reachable.
    Was using that example as somewhat of a hyperbole.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 12:16 AM
    Off topic but an Android phone running iOS is impossible. What a joke...

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 12:28 AM
65 123