How does BB muzzle anything if it is rooted it is rooted. every new outlet will run it and probably sensationalize it

Rooted Priv killed 20.
    11-11-15 04:08 PM
    Rooting is for 'script kiddies' to be able to say, 'look what I can do... I'm a hacker...'

When they're not... hackers.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 04:51 PM
    Blackberry made the process fairly straight forward in how they secured the priv.. all you need to do is read it... a unique encrypted boot loader and checksum hardware enabled per device... simply put.. you may be able to root one device with a unique key but not universal root like any other android or apple....
    light_barer and La Emperor like this.
    11-11-15 04:58 PM
    AT&T versions have a locked bootloader and most likely wont be able to be rooted. Galaxy Notes on at&t don't even have root so I doubt there will be enough developers for the priv to consider even trying.
    11-11-15 05:05 PM
    Blackberry made the process fairly straight forward in how they secured the priv.. all you need to do is read it... a unique encrypted boot loader and checksum hardware enabled per device... simply put.. you may be able to root one device with a unique key but not universal root like any other android or apple....
    Oh someone can probably root it.... i.e., get down to the root file level. But can you actually make an image recovery and install it back to the device? Without knowing the secret keys that match the hardware to the OS? Or will someone just create a generic Android OS as a recovery image... meaning none of the Blackberry stuff that made the Priv so unique. Probably still needs that key though....
    11-11-15 05:06 PM
    I'll take that $1000 from you. No Qualcomm processors in iOS.

Bit coin will be fine. PM for payment details.

Posted via CB10
    You must be fun to do bets with. You claim the wins before the game starts
    11-11-15 05:31 PM
    Oh someone can probably root it.... i.e., get down to the root file level. But can you actually make an image recovery and install it back to the device? Without knowing the secret keys that match the hardware to the OS? Or will someone just create a generic Android OS as a recovery image... meaning none of the Blackberry stuff that made the Priv so unique. Probably still needs that key though....
    Actually would not work... the issue is cracking the boot loader and its key... as well BB has redundant checks for any mods for the OS... what makes the BB locked boot loader unique is the individual key each device has... so unless the unencrypt both the boot loader and rom in the hardware... strip out the security software on both sides and take all the redundant checks built into the OS... what is the point.... you would need to be able to hardware disable each device to actual get a general root to work.,.. it may be like the playbook where there could be a flaw in the OS allowing you to manipulate permissions... but that is not the same an actual root.... in any event BB would patch any hole found..... in end not worth the effort except to say "I did it"....
    11-11-15 05:40 PM
    I didn't say they will hack the Priv because they hacked the Blackphone, nor didn't want to imply that the process to root the Priv is the same of the Blackphone just because they run the same OS. I just find hard to believe that it is "un-hackable"... If anything, maybe the guy/team that developed the security program for the priv actually know a way or too to overcome the protection against rooting,

There has to be a way to get under the skin of a device somehow, even if it's only Blackberry that knows it at the moment.
    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you can bet your hat they can probably creep into into it if need be. One does not lock a house and destroys the key...

But do be careful, written word has a way to run away with that we say and mean something completely different (specially on the interwebs).
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-11-15 06:57 PM
    You must be fun to do bets with. You claim the wins before the game starts
    *whoosh*

You don't understand. I already won. Apple has their custom A processors not found on the PRIV. It's not going to run on Qualcomm CPU. This isn't like Hackintosh that had Intel CPU support already and just needed to disable hardware checks and emulate other stuff. This isn't like hacking iOS apps to run on BB10 or Android (which is doable), you said "they can put iOS in a Priv". Perhaps you should understand what you're claiming before putting up $1000.
    buwee likes this.
    11-11-15 11:23 PM
    -- deleted redundant post --
    11-12-15 12:00 AM
    That's irrelevant because we don't know if someone tried to hack the second one. Did anyone hack the "Palm Pre"? never heard of, but also never heard of someone trying.

I don't believe that there's a single "un-rootable" phone. Yes, some phones can be much harder that others, but I believe that given enough will and a good hacker, everything is rootable.
    There was no point in "rooting" Pre as Palm had it integrated by the Konami-Code, otherwise I couldn't use it nowadays as anymore. But that's a different story...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-12-15 12:01 AM
    *whoosh*

You don't understand. I already won. Apple has their custom A processors not found on the PRIV. It's not going to run on Qualcomm CPU. This isn't like Hackintosh that had Intel CPU support already and just needed to disable hardware checks and emulate other stuff. This isn't like hacking iOS apps to run on BB10 or Android (which is doable), you said "they can put iOS in a Priv". Perhaps you should understand what you're claiming before putting up $1000.

How about you do some research before coming to a forum embarass yourself?

You owe me 1000$. Wich option do you want? Android phone running iOS or Iphone running Android? we are talking running Native, not emulated

Android running iOS
    How to install iOS on ANY Android phone - XDA Forums

Iphone running Android
    Exclusive: Dual-Boot Android on Your iPhone (iOS 7+) � iOS Gadget Hacks
    mrjmc99 and Elango87 like this.
    11-12-15 09:29 AM

How about you do some research before coming to a forum embarass yourself?

You owe me 1000$. Wich option do you want? Android phone running iOS or Iphone running Android? we are talking running Native, not emulated

Android running iOS
    How to install iOS on ANY Android phone - XDA Forums

Iphone running Android
    Exclusive: Dual-Boot Android on Your iPhone (iOS 7+) � iOS Gadget Hacks
    Yikes, this is embarrassing.

Both of your links are jokes. I highly suggest you actually read links and articles before using them in arguments.
    FCSC and adjdudley21 like this.
    11-12-15 09:46 AM
    Yikes, this is embarrassing.

Both of your links are jokes. I highly suggest you actually read links and articles before using them in arguments.
    that's the point, just trolling... How I'm suposed to deal with someone that claims the winning of a bet before the match ends? The priv just came out, nobody knows if it's rootable or not... Blackphone said it wasn't possible, it didn't take long.

here's more, iphone running android (the right one):
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 11-12-15 at 10:15 AM.
    11-12-15 10:01 AM
    that's the point, just trolling... How I'm suposed to deal with someone that claims the winning of a bet before the match ends? The priv just came out, nobody knows if it's rootable or not... Blackphone said it wasn't possible, it didn't take long.

here's more, iphone running android (the right one):
    http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/14647...e-m9.jpg?w=720
    No, you're trying to save face like you knew it was a joke. You really did think it was possible, hence the bet in the first place. Otherwise, you wouldn't be upset that I said you lose right off the bat.

You still don't get why I said I win. Regardless of starting or not, it's NOT POSSIBLE (without being an Apple dev and adding significant code to iOS kernel, in which case it's not *the* "iOS" anymore). You're more mad at the contempt of losing the bet than the technical reason.

The fact that you are equating getting root access and putting iOS on Android in the same league of effort, tells me to just walk away, there is no way that you'll just learn from this and move on.

Relax, I wouldn't try and collect on a bet without a handshake in the first place.

p.s. I'm positive PRIV is rootable, just whether someone publicly reports it is another question. TLA will not unless another Snowden type leak happens. Also, BlackPhone NEVER said it wasn't possible nor were the exploits found in 5 minutes (they were found before the competition and exploited in the competition).
    11-12-15 12:48 PM
    No, you're trying to save face like you knew it was a joke. You really did think it was possible, hence the bet in the first place. Otherwise, you wouldn't be upset that I said you lose right off the bat.

You still don't get why I said I win. Regardless of starting or not, it's NOT POSSIBLE (without being an Apple dev and adding significant code to iOS kernel, in which case it's not *the* "iOS" anymore). You're more mad at the contempt of losing the bet than the technical reason.

The fact that you are equating getting root access and putting iOS on Android in the same league of effort, tells me to just walk away, there is no way that you'll just learn from this and move on.

Relax, I wouldn't try and collect on a bet without a handshake in the first place.

p.s. I'm positive PRIV is rootable, just whether someone publicly reports it is another question. TLA will not unless another Snowden type leak happens. Also, BlackPhone NEVER said it wasn't possible nor were the exploits found in 5 minutes (they were found before the competition and exploited in the competition).

Here's your 1000$ for the "pre-win".
    http://affiliate-101.com/wp-content/...ars_online.jpg

Here's your iphone running android:

here's how to do it:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/19659...ur_iphone.html
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 11-12-15 at 01:17 PM.
    11-12-15 01:05 PM
    Let's say at the end of all, these people are able to root their Priv devices.

So, you've spent $700 for the PRIVilege of rooting your own device?? Sounds incredibly stupid if you ask me. Just buy an Android phone that doesn't have these hardware protections (like a Nexus). Otherwise you are buying into the (over-hyped) facade that this new Blackberry is protecting you from anything meaningful.
    11-12-15 01:28 PM
    Althought to me rooting isn't very concerning because you need to have the device with you. I would be more worried about remote hacking wich I believe is secure at the moment.

Time will tell
    You don't 'need' the device to root it. All you would need is a known exploit and a way to run it on the phone remotely.

1. Person clicks on malicious link
    2. link runs on users device
    3. the exploit is triggered and modifies the OS portion of the memory
    4. this modification gives your browser root access
    5. The site sends the rest of the payload and installs a hidden server on your device with root access
    6. The program is now installed and can send, receive files and hide it's existence from the owner or any google services.
    11-12-15 01:58 PM
    androidpolice.com/2015/10/31/chainfire-experiment-achieves-android-root-without-touching-the-system-partition/

Chainfire has developed a way to achieve root without modifying system partition at all which says a lot about the possibility of what is on the verge.
    11-12-15 02:04 PM

So, you've spent $700 for the PRIVilege of rooting your own device?? Sounds incredibly stupid if you ask me. Just buy an Android phone that doesn't have these hardware protections (like a Nexus). Otherwise you are buying into the (over-hyped) facade that this new Blackberry is protecting you from anything meaningful.
    I wouldn't be spending $700 to root my device, I would be spending $700 on a top of the line Android phone with a physical keyboard. For me Blackberry's security measures and software are a hindrance. If I want a Android phone with a keyboard I need to get a 3 year old phone, or a Priv that can't be rooted. My ideal phone would have a keyboard and be rootable, but since the only company that puts out a phone with a keyboard did what they can to lock it down, I don't really have a choice.

I'll probably end up getting the Priv knowing I'll never get root for it, but that doesn't mean that I hope it doesn't happen.

Not everyone wants a Blackberry because it's "secure." To a lot of Android people they're just the OEM that makes phones with keyboards.
    Yertie likes this.
    11-12-15 02:10 PM

Who seriously bought this phone for the tinfoil hattery? I bought it because I want a PKB in a portrait slider formfactor, pure and simple.
    11-12-15 02:12 PM
    April Fools!!
    11-12-15 02:18 PM
    Guys the debate should not be on if it's possible or not. It should be on the ressources necessary to accomplish this root.

Security is based on slowing down attackers... Not on making something fully secured.

If you want to protect your garbage, you just put a lid on it. That will provide minimal protection and losing the content of your garbage isn't such an issue.

If you want to protect the 400 ounce gold bullion you have, then you buy a vault, bolt it to the ground with a timer lock... the idea is to make it not worthwhile for someone to break in.

Same applies to the Priv. If it cost 100 millions dollars of computing power and ressources to root the device, then BlackBerry had accomplished it goal.

If it's an easy universal root, then they need to fix it asap.

So we'll see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 02:29 PM
    Who seriously bought this phone for the tinfoil hattery? I bought it because I want a PKB in a portrait slider formfactor, pure and simple.
    Just read people's comments about the "security" and "privacy". They do exist. As it seems, you aren't one of them.
    11-12-15 02:39 PM
    androidpolice.com/2015/10/31/chainfire-experiment-achieves-android-root-without-touching-the-system-partition/

Chainfire has developed a way to achieve root without modifying system partition at all which says a lot about the possibility of what is on the verge.
    I read that, but it appears Chainfire is using a method that's "using a modified boot image". You have to strongly assume that Blackberry is using their hardware level protections against the boot image since they are using it for minor software patches as well. I don't think that root method will work on the Priv.
    11-12-15 02:45 PM
65 123