Will it ever happen?
    Is there anyone out there trying it?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 08:18 AM
    I'm certain someone on XDA has attempted/is attempting it. Even after owning a rooted android device i don't see the appeal to it.
    11-11-15 08:33 AM
    It's being actively attacked over on XDA, I'm sure of it.

I also expect it to fail, although there's always the chance they'll find something -- which BlackBerry will immediately patch and make inoperative.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 08:36 AM
    I'm sure there are people trying it. Whether or not they will will remain to be seen.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 08:36 AM
    There's an entire thread on the XDA forums about a bounty on a root for the Priv.. Whether or not that actually bears and fruit is an entirely different question

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 08:44 AM
    Will it ever happen?
    Is there anyone out there trying it?

Posted via CB10
    When it does, then it will.
    anon(9208252) and bungaboy like this.
    11-11-15 08:44 AM
    It's being actively attacked over on XDA, I'm sure of it.

I also expect it to fail, although there's always the chance they'll find something -- which BlackBerry will immediately patch and make inoperative.
    Blackphone has been rooted, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Priv was too.
    kertong and Mecca EL like this.
    11-11-15 09:00 AM
    Fascinating. Can you provide a link to that story?

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2789
    11-11-15 09:03 AM
    You have heard of Google, I suppose...

Super-secure Blackphone gets rooted in under five minutes | TechRadar

As for the assumption that Blackphone got hacked so Priv will get hacked, please... Different phones, different companies, different approaches. One got hacked in 5 minutes, the other is still on the 'can it be hacked' state. Speaks volumes, if you ask me.
    11-11-15 09:21 AM

Blackphone gets rooted at BlackHat security conference
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 09:34 AM

As for the assumption that Blackphone got hacked so Priv will get hacked, please... Different phones, different companies, different approaches. One got hacked in 5 minutes, the other is still on the 'can it be hacked' state. Speaks volumes, if you ask me.
    you forgot, almost the same software and hardware. I bet 1000$ that if someone talented really wants it, they can put iOS in a Priv. I've see hacking stories that seem a lot more impressive than hacking a phone.

Althought to me rooting isn't very concerning because you need to have the device with you. I would be more worried about remote hacking wich I believe is secure at the moment.

Time will tell
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 09:37 AM
    So far, only the initial incarnation of the Blackphone was hacked. It was quickly patched, and I haven't heard that it was successfully hacked again. The Blackphone 2 has been out for a couple of months and there's no news that it's been hacked yet.

And you know someone has been trying.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-11-15 10:11 AM
    So far, only the initial incarnation of the Blackphone was hacked. It was quickly patched, and I haven't heard that it was successfully hacked again. The Blackphone 2 has been out for a couple of months and there's no news that it's been hacked yet.

And you know someone has been trying.

Posted via CB10
    there's no indication that someone has atempted either
    11-11-15 10:13 AM

That's the original Blackphone.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 10:14 AM
    That's the original Blackphone.
    That's irrelevant because we don't know if someone tried to hack the second one. Did anyone hack the "Palm Pre"? never heard of, but also never heard of someone trying.

I don't believe that there's a single "un-rootable" phone. Yes, some phones can be much harder that others, but I believe that given enough will and a good hacker, everything is rootable.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-11-15 10:23 AM
    Root my Passport then.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 10:35 AM
    Thanks. Fascinating read.

11-11-15 10:42 AM
    Root my Passport then.

Posted via CB10
    Do you want it running BB10 or Android?

LiterallyLogan likes this.
    11-11-15 10:57 AM
    you forgot, almost the same software and hardware. I bet 1000$ that if someone talented really wants it, they can put iOS in a Priv. I've see hacking stories that seem a lot more impressive than hacking a phone.
    No. Not really. They could have exctly the same hardware and it would not matter. It's all about what each company has done to the sooftware.

Your logic is still lacking. The argument that they hacked the Blackphone, therefore they will hack the Priv does not hold (By no means, I am not saying it can't be done. I don't know that. I am saying his argument is not logical).

Althought to me rooting isn't very concerning because you need to have the device with you. I would be more worried about remote hacking wich I believe is secure at the moment.

Time will tell
    We can agree on this to some extent.

Rooting on itself only means a security breach if the user is prone to installing crap from all places (Ha! That's like ALL USERS!). That's not what converns BlackBerry or their investors (or naysayers).

If the device gets rooted, than the company behind it has done a poor job at keeping the OS at root level safe. That could indeed lead to all sorts of issues, including remote hacking (since, you know, ports will be open and security will be breached).

Rotting isn't an issue if your device is with you? Keep thinking that.
    11-11-15 12:53 PM

It was compromised but the device in question did not have the latest security patches. The hacker said he didn't want to use the Defcon WiFi to update the device before demonstrating. I find general tech news websites are wholly awful in reporting on security issues. Websites that have a security focus sections are much better in this regard.

Blackphone goes to Def Con and gets hacked?sort of | Ars Technica

Sawyer's Blackphone hack was in many ways already moot by the time he demonstrated it. In part, it relied on an already-patched problem in Blackphone�s remote wipe software, which Sawyer hadn�t downloaded�mostly because he bought the phone at Def Con and didn�t want to do anything over the Wi-Fi at the conference.

In a conversation with Ars, Sawyer said that the hack required three vulnerabilities in all�one that is a lower-threat vulnerability to a wide range of Android-based devices and has not yet been fully disclosed. Additionally, he said, the rooting of the Blackphone required that the attacker:

have physical access to the phone and connect it to a computer via USB,
    configure the phone against Blackphone�s set-up recommendations,
    not install encryption on the device,
    ignore an unknown application source warning, and
    have the phone�s PIN code.

In other words, to hack the Blackphone, the hacker would have to have either obtained it from a very na�ve user or bought the phone himself.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-11-15 01:08 PM
    No. Not really. They could have exctly the same hardware and it would not matter. It's all about what each company has done to the sooftware.

Your logic is still lacking. The argument that they hacked the Blackphone, therefore they will hack the Priv does not hold (By no means, I am not saying it can't be done. I don't know that. I am saying his argument is not logical).

We can agree on this to some extent.

Rooting on itself only means a security breach if the user is prone to installing crap from all places (Ha! That's like ALL USERS!). That's not what converns BlackBerry or their investors (or naysayers).

If the device gets rooted, than the company behind it has done a poor job at keeping the OS at root level safe. That could indeed lead to all sorts of issues, including remote hacking (since, you know, ports will be open and security will be breached).

Rotting isn't an issue if your device is with you? Keep thinking that.
    I didn't say they will hack the Priv because they hacked the Blackphone, nor didn't want to imply that the process to root the Priv is the same of the Blackphone just because they run the same OS. I just find hard to believe that it is "un-hackable"... If anything, maybe the guy/team that developed the security program for the priv actually know a way or too to overcome the protection against rooting,

There has to be a way to get under the skin of a device somehow, even if it's only Blackberry that knows it at the moment.
    11-11-15 01:44 PM
    That's irrelevant because we don't know if someone tried to hack the second one. Did anyone hack the "Palm Pre"? never heard of, but also never heard of someone trying.

I don't believe that there's a single "un-rootable" phone. Yes, some phones can be much harder that others, but I believe that given enough will and a good hacker, everything is rootable.
    Oh, they're trying. Very relevant.

But I agree, rooting isn't necessarily a security breach.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-11-15 02:22 PM

Time will tell
    I'll take that $1000 from you. No Qualcomm processors in iOS.

Bit coin will be fine. PM for payment details.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 03:05 PM

Time will tell
    minus the pin/chip injection and Certicom.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-11-15 03:41 PM
    I just find it will be interesting to see how the Priv holds up against root access. Or will BlackBerry muzzle and drown whoever roots it in legalities.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 04:00 PM
65 123