I keep running into an issue and trying to use many different file managers and picture managers. I keep getting asked for permission to the root of my SD card. I get that the app needs permissions to do stuff outside of its own app folder but they give me instructions on how to do it. it open a kind of file manager and asks me to point to the rood of the SD card but the only thing that shows is the internal storage. I have 64 GB SD card that i want to use. Any ideas why i can't give my apps root privileges to my sd card?

Solution: you can read the thread but found out its an issue with exFAT32, i formated my SD card as FAT32 using a windows machine and a tool to do it as Windows won't let you, search Google for GUI FAT32 formatter, it will be the first link. Once formatted my SD card would show up in ES File Explorer so I could select it's root directory and fixed the issue!
    Last edited by MrEvets; 11-10-15 at 08:24 PM.
    JMF5017 likes this.
    11-10-15 05:56 PM
    It's a Android issue apparently, should be sorted with 6.0

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-10-15 06:01 PM
    I need to copy files from internal memory to external memory to back up some files and this is impossible of i cannot write to the SD. I can't wait 6 months for M for the Priv any other ideas?
    11-10-15 06:14 PM
    It's a Android issue apparently, should be sorted with 6.0

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    It used to be, but with lollipop they gave that back to us. On my note I can copy files to my sd card from internal storage and vice versa. I use Es file explorer.
    I don't if know if this a limitation of the Priv?
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    11-10-15 06:18 PM
    Yeah that the exact same app I use but I get the error that i have to tell it where the root of the SD card is so it knows. But my SD card never shows up in the list to point to it even though all the screen shots i have seen on the net sows internal and external storage should show. I even tried wiping the card using the Android OS to make sure it was formated and had proper permissions.
    11-10-15 06:22 PM
    I also have a Samsung Tab A I got from TD for opening an account running 5.1.1 and i do not have this issue.
    11-10-15 06:23 PM
    In settings -> storage, do you see the SD card listed? Have you installed the exFAT driver?
    11-10-15 06:31 PM
    Yep installed the driver and my SD card shows up, pictures are saved to it shows up except when you are asked where the root of the SD card is in ES File Explorer
    11-10-15 07:04 PM
    You have to go format card to exfat 32 on Windows computer and unistall blackberry exfat app!there is another thread with a link ,I did it and now o can do what I want with my sd

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 07:36 PM
    My SD card is formated exFAT32 and i have to have the ex driver or i cannot read the card. I will try uninstalling to see
    11-10-15 07:42 PM
    I think he meant to say format it to FAT32.

People have been using this utility to achieve this and fix their issues:

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd
    11-10-15 07:44 PM
    Willing to try! I'll let you know how it goes.
    11-10-15 07:47 PM
    So i downloaded the tool and formated the SD card FAT32 and tried to do the copy, i got the same message to tell it where the root of the external SD card is and this time it showed up in the list!!!! Wow how, I was able to copy my files from the OS. i will update the original post to include this answer. Thank you all, hope this helps someone else also
    Last edited by MrEvets; 11-10-15 at 08:31 PM.
    11-10-15 08:20 PM
    I keep running into an issue and trying to use many different file managers and picture managers. I keep getting asked for permission to the root of my SD card. I get that the app needs permissions to do stuff outside of its own app folder but they give me instructions on how to do it. it open a kind of file manager and asks me to point to the rood of the SD card but the only thing that shows is the internal storage. I have 64 GB SD card that i want to use. Any ideas why i can't give my apps root privileges to my sd card?
    First of all you need the exFAT driver. If you have it already, it still won't fix the problem because there is a bug in the driver (which has been found and is currently being fixed by BB). Just hold your horses because an update should be coming to the Play Store pretty quick.
    11-10-15 08:25 PM
    Already fixed the issue my self, as i said i can't wait. i have files on the internal storage and i have to send my phone back and i need them backed up. I had a keyboard issue and Rogers is sending a new one tomorrow and i have to send the old one back.
    11-10-15 08:32 PM
    Sorry, thank you for that and good to know it is getting fixed. Once it's fixed I'll reformat to exFAT as it's a better file system and i don't need the driver unless i have a card that requires it or it would have been installed with the OS.
    11-10-15 08:33 PM
    Good to hear that there is a fix coming for the exFAT32 driver.
    11-10-15 08:37 PM

Solution: you can read the thread but found out its an issue with exFAT32, i formated my SD card as FAT32 using a windows machine and a tool to do it as Windows won't let you, search Google for GUI FAT32 formatter, it will be the first link. Once formatted my SD card would show up in ES File Explorer so I could select it's root directory and fixed the issue!
    Seriously, thanks for posting this solution. I had the same issue and followed your steps and worked perfectly. This has been driving me crazy!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 09:38 PM
    Glad you sorted it out. The solution for the time being is to use fat32. The fixes for exFAT are coming.
    11-10-15 10:30 PM