I understand. As a former isheep, then Droid boy : it isn't BB10. I recently purchased an android while in China and even as a former user it's strange to go back to the android ecosystem. I have 4 BB10 devices. I have pre-ordered a Priv. Don't be fooled: Priv is purely Android with a splash of BlackBerry - you either adapt or hate it. Hardware is one thing and software another. It's an alternative device to me: it's never going to be better than BB10. But I've purchased one to benefit from the apps on native OS, with BlackBerry keyboard and security.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    What security? Even Chen said it was not better than on a Samsung.
    Sure, it's more secure than a Nexus 6P made by Huawei. Maybe not as private for now as a nexus 6P (if you believe that Google doesn't data mine on Marshmallow no matter how you set your app permissions) but who cares when you have BB10?
    11-07-15 04:54 AM
    Honestly... I was so excited to pick up my Priv today. Got it home, hooked it up to WiFi and let it do its updates.

After it settled it I did the basic setup. Google account, BBM setup, etc.

What a disappointment. I've never really used Android much before, but it is quite clear that BB10 and.. OMG.. even iOS is was more user friendly.

I know Blaize did a review, but my own review is a different story.

I couldn't get it too hook up to my work Exchange account. What took my Passport a few minutes was impossible with the Priv. Same settings, no luck. The only email that works is GMail.

The Hub is a joke. There is no BlackBerry in this device. Except for the DTeck app everything else is just clunky Android.

The physical keyboard is cramped. After coming from a Passport, this thing is terrible. The virtual keyboard is better.

I'm returning it tomorrow.

The Passport is the best device BlackBerry ever made.

Posted via CB10
    It will take time Matt...
    Give the OS time. One of my friends has a Kit-Kat and I was working with it and believe me... I hated working Android... but it takes time to get used to it and after that... just muscle memory

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:57 AM
    I got mine today. The first one bought at the Rogers store......... At, like, 2:30.... I don't think that the demand was there today. Lol.

I've been working my way around it. The differences, similarities and WTF moments. This is a hybrid. It's a mix of Samsung and BlackBerry.

When I got my z10, it took me a long time to get used to the phone. At work, I did little courses on how to use it because, it was so different from iPhone. People were so upset because they felt it was too complicated. We love it but, the learning curve turned people off. Big time. Blackberry was three years too late.

Saying this, I'm enjoying this phone. Yes, the HUB is not the same. The oS is not the same. But, I like it. It took me a month before I was whipping around my z10 so, I will do the same with the PRIV.

Wish all the posters in here had your thoughts. So much negativity.

11-07-15 05:57 AM
    Haha one day, you have to use it at least for a week or two to can say something about the device.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 06:01 AM
    Well I have no idea what the heck you expected...all previews said it's android os with blackberry hardware...so should be no surprise to you
    11-07-15 06:07 AM
    Uh no you can't. Currently you can't attach documents from the hub as it does't allow access to the SD Card.
    I did I yesterday. Stop acting like a spoiler brat throwing a tantrum.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 06:11 AM
    I have had androids for years and the OS is great, but it is not a Blackberry and this the PRIV is NOT a Blackberry...
    lift likes this.
    11-07-15 06:50 AM
    Some exchange accounts don't play nicely with android. E.g. Nhs.net

I've been there with android.

Despite all the positives, not sure I could sacrifice basic email functions cos that really pissed me off on Android previously

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 07:01 AM
    I have had androids for years and the OS is great, but it is not a Blackberry and this the PRIV is NOT a Blackberry...
    And that's the problem, no matter how people want to put lipstick on a pig, this is still an android phone with a blackberry label on it, there really is nothing else to talk about.

If a sliding keyboard TRULY is worth $900 in Canadian funds, then so be it. But there is NOTHING that makes this a "blackberry" phone. If a virtual keyboard works for you, might as well find a great android device at a cheaper price because unfortunately there isn't anything separating the two.

And that upsets me as a BlackBerry fan. I'm upset that if this works, BlackBerry would presumably just make android devices. If it fails they're out of the market completely...

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) and lift like this.
    11-07-15 07:02 AM
    And that's the problem, no matter how people want to put lipstick on a pig, this is still an android phone with a blackberry label on it, there really is nothing else to talk about.

If a sliding keyboard TRULY is worth $900 in Canadian funds, then so be it. But there is NOTHING that makes this a "blackberry" phone. If a virtual keyboard works for you, might as well find a great android device at a cheaper price because unfortunately there isn't anything separating the two.

And that upsets me as a BlackBerry fan. I'm upset that if this works, BlackBerry would presumably just make android devices. If it fails they're out of the market completely...

Posted via CB10
    If the phone sells well than they will make more of them and if it doesn't the company may fold.. either way BB10 is dead... I hope that I am wrong
    11-07-15 07:17 AM
    Pretty sure the phone is a BlackBerry. I ordered it from them and it was designed by them and has BlackBerry written on it...

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-07-15 07:19 AM
    Almost pulled the trigger last night at the AT&T store. The Priv was on display next to The Classic. Both were on. However, neither of them were setup. The spec and price detail card wasn't even on the display for the Priv.

I was educating the salesperson about the Priv. He was blown away when he saw the capacitive keyboard. He really flipped out when he saw the predictive type flicking (proof that he's never experienced BB10). They have Passports in stock and none on display.
    I believe that BlackBerry handsets will be an elite product.

I'm gonna wait on getting a new phone. I'm not having problems and I really like my...

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.2.2639 on AT&T
    11-07-15 07:21 AM
    Mentioned this in the other thread about Android being too complicated:

Long time Android user here. You guys complaining know that BB10 OS is not very intuitive and quite counter-productive when it comes to my daily work-flow, right? Wait, what?

Exactly. Guys, most of you are long-time BB10 and BB Classic OS users. Switching to Android is not an overnight change. The beauty of Android is you guys can customize it and make it the OS you want it to be. Don't like the hub? Turn it off. Don't like the mail app? Install another one. Don't like the software keyboard? Install another one.

For some, these extra efforts may not be an activity you want to endure, but in over 6 years of using Android, I have made the OS work for me instead of being a slave to how the device / OS wants me to use it.

Yes, BB is new to Android. They've been working on the device for 18 months, but it is not yet perfect. And it'll take time. They need users like you to report the bugs and provide the feedback so that the experience can be refined. I know first-hand that BB is dedicated to pushing out timely updates and fixes to make sure this device succeeds in the field.

#foodforthought
    11-07-15 07:25 AM
    Go to settings/language and input.

Theicecreamman likes this.
    11-07-15 07:30 AM
    Serious question - Please name a phone that has Marshmallow besides the Nexus brand. I don't think there are any, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Depending on the carrier some will wait forever. I have a Galaxy Note 5 with AT&T and there's no telling when it's coming. Lol
    11-07-15 07:31 AM
    I did I yesterday. Stop acting like a spoiler brat throwing a tantrum.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    Dude whatever. It's a screw up they left that out. Stop sounding like a little fanboy.
    lift likes this.
    11-07-15 07:35 AM
    I get that Marshmallow/Android M has better security and battery life - you can't get away from reading about it if you follow the tech blogs, but Blackberry did a good job implementing some of the same security features in Lollipop, so I'm not sure there will be a real gain in security. The way Marshmallow handles the battery is a strength, though. It would be nice to go to sleep with 99% battery life and wake up with 98% the next morning.

I get why someone would want Marshmallow, but as a long-time Samsung user, I've always had to wait patiently for updates even when I had the newest phone, so maybe it doesn't bother me much anymore.
    Since you were a Samsung user. How does the priv compare to a Samsung as far as there own software overlay. I have the Note 5 and sometimes I get annoyed with TouchWiz. Does blackberry do a better job with keeping it stock?
    11-07-15 07:36 AM
    No I know what you mean but the Blackberry apps won't do it yet. They don't even show as needing updates unless you search for them.
    Yep. I noticed this right away and it made a huge difference.

I'm still not as fluent with it as with my beastly Passport, but I like it enough to give it a chance. Once I get used to the 4row PKB again I think I will love it.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    11-07-15 07:36 AM
    Oh man... I've been plugging away at the Priv most of last night and this morning. Finally managed to get EAS working and downloaded most of the apps I had on my Passport.

Still not loving the experience, and this is definitely not a BlackBerry phone in any way except the physical keyboard.

I've noticed that my camera lens whines when focusing. A high pitched noise that is obviously a hardware issue. Also the physical keyboard is not even lit in the dark. Some key like the "sym" key are only half lit.

Based on the physical issues I'm going to return it. Still haven't decided if I will get another one???

Posted via CB10
    mister2d and Mecca EL like this.
    11-07-15 07:45 AM
    I totally feel the pain of the OP as well as others on this thread as I have had a heck of a time getting my exchange account to work properly as well as figure out android. I had a Samsung tablet a few years ago and gave it to my five year old son to watch moves on. I will not criticize others opinions and only look to help others here as well as seek help.

I literally lost sleep waiting for this phone and love the hardware as well as a return to the virtual keyboard after my Passport. I felt the Passport was simply THE BEST PHONE EVER...and I stand by that statement now that I have a Priv.

Having said that, I will give this phone some more time but am too leaning towards sending it back. Here is a list of issues I have had so far so. If some knowledgeable are able to help out, I would certainly appreciate your advice.

1. Lack of a native file manager. I will try the one suggested above.
    2. No native photo viewer. I was expecting to see some sort of "gallery" app but nothing.
    2. No native video viewer. I have downloaded VLC but really?! Nothing native?
    3. Trying to save a photo from an email took me forever to figure out (download to downloads and then upload to photos). Why can't I just navigate to where I want to save it?
    4. Now that I figured out how to save the photo, I thought I had figured out how to save it as wallpaper and even got that option, saved it as wallpaper but I still have the default screen.
    5. Used the clock feature and put it on night mode and still got auditable alerts when emails came in. So night mode just makes it dark? Apparently so as I see now that lowering the volume actually gives you a do not disturb feature. How about adding a DND during the time until your alarm?

So yes, i will give this phone all my attention up until my return period but essentially, I find that BBOS 10 was more "thoughtful" shall we say. It seemed to work like my computer with full flexibility and intuitiveness if I can coin a word.

These, plus I really miss BlackBerry Travel, BBM video, and story maker. I am sure there are similar apps in the play store and will try several before giving up.

Thanks for listening and hopefully I as well as other can soon say that the Priv is the best phone ever and more importantly, that BlackBerry sells millions and comes back strong.

bbfanatic11, lift and mister2d like this.
    11-07-15 07:52 AM
    I hope your prepared for the typical comments like "give it a couple weeks" and "it's too early to make a firm decision " lol.
    which are full of awareness and common sense, isn't it ?

About the mail accounts problem, since I have no Priv to test yet, I'd simply recommend anyone to visit the KB and be sure every steps have been done, in the proper order. Since I believe many will have, some others may have missed a step, anyway, always a good idea to have a reference at disposition.
    How to add an email account to the BlackBerry Hub for Android
    11-07-15 07:57 AM
    The BlackBerry Z30 and Passport SE are both fantastic devices. I am tempted by the new Priv, but I don't know what the advantages are....

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    11-07-15 08:03 AM
    The OS is pretty good for a base a million times better than BB10.0 when it first came out. There are major update coming after January.

11-07-15 08:07 AM
    I have not bought the Priv yet...I am going to wait a bit and not rush out like I did with past phones. I think over time the device will work out the initial kinks.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:08 AM
    Since you were a Samsung user. How does the priv compare to a Samsung as far as there own software overlay. I have the Note 5 and sometimes I get annoyed with TouchWiz. Does blackberry do a better job with keeping it stock?
    I don't have my Priv yet due to ShopBB taking their sweet time shipping it to me. I'll report back once I have it.

I'm not a TouchWiz fan at all, though. I've tried different launchers and right now use the Google Now launcher because it is so clean. That's one of the things I like about Android. You can change the look and feel of the home screen and app drawer to your heart's content just by installing a different launcher.

Jamie Wooten likes this.
    11-07-15 08:10 AM
1,123 ... 34567 ...