Yeah, everyone talks about how Android brings so many more apps, but people forget not everyone wants that. For those who want even less apps than on BB, there is Windows Phone.

I am really missing BB10, and I had been an Android user before. But I am enjoying apps that ran like crap, or not at all on my Z30. I am sure I will get used to the OS with time.
    Windows definitely doesn't have fewer apps than BB10 - it has a crap load more and all of them are native. Plus with the new unified app system, any desktop Windows 10 app will work on the phone platform as well, which will be huge in no time.

I have a passport now and wanted so switch to the Priv. But after having read all the negative press reviews and now the comments here, which seem to be about 50% negative and 50% " don't worry about it, BB will fix it", I've cancelled my order. I'm at this point convinced that BB's handset business is over. They've once again rushed a handset to market and delivered a buggy product. Except that this time it won't work: with Android, you have choice. There's a myriad of devices out there that aren't buggy.

Apart from that, timing is a disaster and so is marketing. Think about it:

- the Priv doesn't come with Marshmallow. By the time BB has fixed the most pressing bugs, they'll have to push Android 6 and will, again, have to spend months fixing bugs. Also, BB is pushing the security aspect. That's great, except that Marshmallow has fixed a ton of security issues (e.g. app permissions) already. While the Priv might be the most secure Android 5.1 device, it isn't the most secure Android device on the market. Any Android 6 device is more secure.

- the launch date couldn't have been chosen worse. They're now going against the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P models. Both of which are close to perfect handsets with better safety features (full device encryption, finger print readers, granular app permissions etc), are faster, have great battery life and better cameras, while costing less. Also, both have the latest version of Android and offer prompt updates. They don't have physical keyboards, but from the reviews, I'd say the one on the Priv is pretty sucky anyway. By the time BB manages to release Marshmallow, the Priv will be up against Samsung's Galaxy S7 range.

It's hard enough to survive as an Android manufacturer in the first place - but if you deliver a buggy software experience, miss your launch window and charge too much for a handset that is described as cheaply made, things WILL NOT WORK for you.

I'll either stick to my iPhone (which I've been using along side my Passport) or will be switching to one of Microsoft's new flagship phones. So long BlackBerry, and thanks for all the fish.
    11-06-15 11:28 PM
    - the Priv doesn't come with Marshmallow.
    Serious question - Please name a phone that has Marshmallow besides the Nexus brand. I don't think there are any, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    11-06-15 11:30 PM
    Serious question - Please name a phone that has Marshmallow besides the Nexus brand. I don't think there are any, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's right - but if you're buying a new phone now, does it make any sense to buy last year's model? Either buy one that has the latest software, or wait. Also, most 2015 flagship phones will have received 6.0 by year's end, while BB will still be squashing 5.1 bugs by then. It'll take them half a year to get 6.0 out. That's the downside of using a heavily modified code base. And if the Priv doesn't sell, it might never come.
    11-06-15 11:32 PM
    That's right - but if you're buying a new phone now, does it make any sense to buy last year's model? Either buy one that has the latest software, or wait. Also, most 2015 flagship phones will have received 6.0 by year's end, while BB will still be squashing 5.1 bugs by then. It'll take them half a year to get 6.0 out. That's the downside of using a heavily modified code base. And if the Priv doesn't sell, it might never come.
    There was already an article posted earlier that stated that the Priv would get Marshmallow in January. That's pretty fast if it's true. I have other Android phones that haven't even been upgraded to Lollipop yet. Honestly, I'd rather have the Priv with the same OS as 99% of the other Android phones than have to wait for it until December or January.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    11-06-15 11:39 PM
    GadgetFann, the new HTC One A9 just released is Marshmallow. I looked at it today to upgrade hubby's M7. Very nice device

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 11:39 PM
    GadgetFann, the new HTC One A9 just released is Marshmallow. I looked at it today to upgrade hubby's M7.

Posted via CB10
    Nice. It's encouraging to hear that some manufacturers are updating quickly. It takes a lot of them months to release updates so I still can't fault Blackberry for not having Marshmallow on the Priv at launch.
    11-06-15 11:44 PM
    There was already an article posted earlier that stated that the Priv would get Marshmallow in January. That's pretty fast if it's true. I have other Android phones that haven't even been upgraded to Lollipop yet. Honestly, I'd rather have the Priv with the same OS as 99% of the other Android phones than have to wait for it until December or January.
    BlackBerry is saying 'in the coming months'. If you have an older Android device, it might not get the update earlier, but if you buy a current-gen handset, it'll almost certainly get it earlier. And yes, Marshmallow is a big deal - much better battery life, dramatically better security.
    11-06-15 11:45 PM
    What? Hit the paperclip button and it will ask you what file manager to use.
    This is how Android works

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Except the BlackBerry Hub doesn't do this - there is a serious bug that doesn't support the file managers.

11-06-15 11:46 PM
    I recall all the Dinosaurs returning their z10s and keeping their bolds in 2013 for the same excuses. Learning is hard.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 11:49 PM
    Yeah, everyone talks about how Android brings so many more apps, but people forget not everyone wants that. For those who want even less apps than on BB, there is Windows Phone.

I am really missing BB10, and I had been an Android user before. But I am enjoying apps that ran like crap, or not at all on my Z30. I am sure I will get used to the OS with time.
    Haha LOL. Windows phone. It's like buying a worse version of BB10.

I'm using Android right now and the only things I miss are the pkb, vkb and the hub. That's why I'm going to get the Priv soon.

^^^Windows phone. It's like buying a worse version of BB10 all smartphones.

I have a work issued L�mia 640 in the desk drawer. Dumb phone v2 at best.

New Priv users coming from BB10 shouldn't expect BB10's flow & ease of use on Android. And the buggy BlackBerry apps are being updated very frequently.

Patience and practice is the need of the hour month ;-)

 Q5 / Z30
    Brand loyalty - knowledge = ^^^

It's legitimate things that you can say about Windows Phone:
    *Loading and Resume screen
    *Not as many apps as iOS and Android
    *Too many dang models..lol

But the talk about native apps and calling the 640 dumb phone v2 (would LOVE to hear that explanation) is stretching it..........a lot.
    Adam Frix, mister2d, TGR1 and 2 others like this.
    11-06-15 11:53 PM
    If I wanted an Android mobile I'd get a Nexus 6p. Once BlackBerry went Android I'm afraid it's no longer a BlackBerry. I wish Verizon had the Passport.
    11-06-15 11:54 PM
    BlackBerry is saying 'in the coming months'. If you have an older Android device, it might not get the update earlier, but if you buy a current-gen handset, it'll almost certainly get it earlier. And yes, Marshmallow is a big deal - much better battery life, dramatically better security.
    I get that Marshmallow/Android M has better security and battery life - you can't get away from reading about it if you follow the tech blogs, but Blackberry did a good job implementing some of the same security features in Lollipop, so I'm not sure there will be a real gain in security. The way Marshmallow handles the battery is a strength, though. It would be nice to go to sleep with 99% battery life and wake up with 98% the next morning.

I get why someone would want Marshmallow, but as a long-time Samsung user, I've always had to wait patiently for updates even when I had the newest phone, so maybe it doesn't bother me much anymore.
    jakie55 and allsportsfan like this.
    11-06-15 11:55 PM
    , but Blackberry did a good job implementing some of the same security features in Lollipop
    I beg to differ - they've fixed some known bugs in the kernel, but other than that, they have not increased app security one bit. DTEK is really just an app telling you that your other apps use too many permissions. Google play already tells you that before installing an app. The only thing you can do about that is uninstall the app in question. Where's the point in that? In Marshmallow you can actually take away those permissions. DTEK would be awesome on a Marshmallow handset.
    11-07-15 12:00 AM
    I tried the Priv at my local AT&T store. The keyboard is cramped. I've played with the Classic whenever I'm at a Verizon store and the keys on those are great. There's a reason that the Passport and the Classic are a bit wider, and that's to make room for the keys. But on the priv, the keys are smaller and too crowded in. Might take awhile to get used to.

But then you see the big screen and how it accommodates a larger set of virtual keys and it feels more comfortable typing on the VKB. With bigger keys and further apart, less typos.
    11-07-15 12:02 AM
    GadgetFann, the new HTC One A9 just released is Marshmallow. I looked at it today to upgrade hubby's M7. Very nice device

Posted via CB10
    Battery is way too small. Gonna run out real fast. Better to go with the Nexus 6P or 5X.
    11-07-15 12:04 AM
    I beg to differ - they've fixed some known bugs in the kernel, but other than that, they have not increased app security one bit. DTEK is really just an app telling you that your other apps use too many permissions. Google play already tells you that before installing an app. The only thing you can do about that is uninstall the app in question. Where's the point in that? In Marshmallow you can actually take away those permissions. DTEK would be awesome on a Marshmallow handset.
    Ahh - Good point. I thought DTEK offered the ability to alter app permissions. Didn't realize that it was just for notifications. Oh well - I'll still wait patiently for Marshmallow. What choice do we have other than buying a Nexus or the limited number of other phones that have Marshmallow right now. I'll complain if Blackberry takes too long to release it though.
    11-07-15 12:06 AM
    I remember going from BBOS7 to BB10. I felt completely lost. I then learned to love it. I think I will be able to do the same thing with the Priv.

Did you know that tech reviewers use a phone for a whole week or more before posting an article? 24 hours is not good enough. Wait a bit longer, then make your opinion.
    gvs1341, Xaiux, david7saad and 3 others like this.
    11-07-15 12:17 AM

There is no BlackBerry heritage in this thing. I thought that it would feel like a BlackBerry but it doesn't.
    Posted via CB10
    Did you download Password Keeper? That might give it more of a BlackBerry feel...just saying.

Posted via CB10
    powereds likes this.
    11-07-15 12:18 AM
    DTEK seem have been built with Android 6.0 in mind.

As for the devices with the newer OS installed when bought, we'll, there's still machines that come with Windows 7 or phones with Android Lollipop 5.0.2, so

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    powereds likes this.
    11-07-15 12:19 AM
    You are using an Android device. And u said only mail works is Gmail, there is an app called E-mail in which you can integrate all E-mails.

Android isn't so bad. Give it time, I switched from Android to BlackBerry. At first I couldn't understand what's happening but now I'm used to it.

BlackBerry Priv is Premium device, stop comparing with any other device, u chose it. So wait for it..you will like it

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 12:25 AM

As for the devices with the newer OS installed when bought, we'll, there's still machines that come with Windows 7 or phones with Android Lollipop 5.0.2, so
    Sure, but would you buy those? For 700 bucks?
    11-07-15 12:27 AM
    Such headings and impressions mislead people I think. The OP should have in first place realized long back that you cannot replace the Passport with Priv. Its no match to the awesome Passport except for the Apps.

For others who have never used a passport and the big keys on it, PRIV should be a very good phone. This phone is for the NoN Passporters period and especially for people using Android but want a change. Passport and Apple users will not love this I feel.
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    11-07-15 12:36 AM
    I setup my EAS account just fine. When it asks for the User Name you must put the domain name first followed by a / then user name. Every Android device has a different EAS setup. My Samsung devices are more automatic but Blackberry chose this base version of Android. I have had this process on other Android devices and when I tried it this way mine setup just fine. Our goal is not to convince you to keep the Priv only to enlighten others who read this post so they know that Exchange works perfectly on the Priv. And the HUB, even though not as robust as on the Passport (which I have) is still heads and tails better than every other Android device I own. The Calendar doesn't offer quite as much detail as the Samsung devices but for dialing into conference calls and WebEx sessions it can't be beat. I love everything about my Passport except for the poor Google integration. Even with the APK's and some of the hacks it still runs like crap. The only streaming music service that is somewhat stable is Slacker. And that stinks compared to Google Play and Groove. I just got fed up with my company apps not working good enough on the Passport so I will put up with some of the shortcomings of the Priv.
    gvs1341, Matt J, Adam Frix and 1 others like this.
    11-07-15 12:46 AM
    As thought so as well for few hours but more I use I like it. It just different, but overall more consumer features.
    Setting functions are easier on BlackBerry 10 but I'm starting to really like Priv after 10 hours of use.
    I have had more headaches with apps on my z30 than I can even explain. All gone now. But I admit email seems to be one extra step. Blackberry will improve hub and email over time I'm sure.
    Just need to get rid of vibrate on vkb somehow. Ugg

posted from my Priv!
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-07-15 12:46 AM
    I don't want to download the Outlook app. I want to simply add my account settings to the OS. Doesn't work.

Simple as that.

It works on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    OK man, I get that bb10 just does stuff, and it's great. It's one of the the things I learned to love about my z10 when I got it. You can get around a lot of it and make it work with android, you just need to find an app that you like. I was amazed when I switched from android to BlackBerry the way the BlackBerry os just let me do stuff without an app. Now you understand why so many people think they NEED apps. I left android because of Google. Didn't like the snooping. Enjoy your passport, but understand that a few apps from BlackBerry on Priv doesn't make the whole os BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    the1 and j21jam6 like this.
    11-07-15 12:50 AM
1,123 12345 ...