This is really hard to explain but I will try to make this short and clear lol.

While one night at a karaoke, I thought it would be fun to record the night using my Priv. I had propped it up against the television which is mounted into a frame that is designed to house the screen and the Karaoke machine under it. While propped, the phone flopped on its side and slid into a hole, falling to the ground underneath the TV (about 4ft tall). The housing is designed that you can open the front to access the machines however there is a wooden beam that blocks the area where the phone fell into (the beam is the one creating the walls of the hole).

Again really hard to explain but basically I dropped my phone into a hole behind a wall. The owner of the karaoke store is not willing to drill a hole into the wall (understandably) to rescue my phone.

Crackberry, how would you go about rescuing it? Could you recommend a claw tool I could use? Would you know if it is magnetic enough to make a makeshift magnetic crane?

I just got this phone not too long ago
    12-19-16 03:09 AM
    Why not use a stick with something sticky on it at the end? Like a glue or a super gum (if this even exists).

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 04:19 AM
    Would be nice to have a picture of this hole. As it is I'm having a hard time imagining your description of it.
    12-19-16 04:24 AM
    Two sided tape at the end of a stick or wire?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-19-16 08:35 AM
    This is really hard to explain but I will try to make this short and clear lol.

While one night at a karaoke, I thought it would be fun to record the night using my Priv. I had propped it up against the television which is mounted into a frame that is designed to house the screen and the Karaoke machine under it. While propped, the phone flopped on its side and slid into a hole, falling to the ground underneath the TV (about 4ft tall). The housing is designed that you can open the front to access the machines however there is a wooden beam that blocks the area where the phone fell into (the beam is the one creating the walls of the hole).

Again really hard to explain but basically I dropped my phone into a hole behind a wall. The owner of the karaoke store is not willing to drill a hole into the wall (understandably) to rescue my phone.

Crackberry, how would you go about rescuing it? Could you recommend a claw tool I could use? Would you know if it is magnetic enough to make a makeshift magnetic crane?

I just got this phone not too long ago
    I just got a cleaning product with 3 components. To keep them together they used some very firm and very sticky putty like substance. The same type of substance is sometimes found on the rear of labels on some cooking pans but thinner - like a smear of rubber cement but much stickier.

I have no idea where you can find this stuff. The product is sold at Bed, Bath and beyond as Whip-it. It was only $10 so it might be worth the investment!!!! This stuff was strong enough to hold a 32oz bottle of liquid! But peeled off with effort. I still have a wad of it.
    12-19-16 08:48 AM
    Two sided tape at the end of a stick or wire?
    Yes, even Duct (Duck) Tape wrapped with sticky side out in some fashion might hold.
    12-19-16 08:50 AM
    I would avoid the magnetic idea. That could really scramble your data!
    12-19-16 09:23 AM
    Was it in a case? Is it screen down or up?
    I ask because if all you can reach (with a wire or whatever) is the screen you will probably not want to use glue as it might not come off.
    12-19-16 09:28 AM
    Yes, even Duct (Duck) Tape wrapped with sticky side out in some fashion might hold.
    Yep, duct tape will do the trick and it may be more readily available. Gaffers tape would be even better as it tends not to leave any residue when removed. However with the short time it will be in contact with the phone I wouldn't worry about any residue with the duct tape.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-19-16 10:02 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I may *try* to fish it out with the tape/whip-it. I have to look into it but im not sure if either of those will carry the weight of the phone to be pulled up 4ft. I tried to recreate the layout as told to me by the manager and my own experience in this crude picture below.

Retrieving my Priv from a long narrow hole-untitled.png

As you can see there is a hole under (and slightly behind) the TV between the gap where i had propped my phone. I have no idea why the beam is like that (or why its there in the first place) but it is the thing creating the walls of the hole cutting off access from the inside. Keep in mind this is all behind the wall in the front.

Thanks for all your help again. I know its really hard to imagine/explain the situation haha.
    12-19-16 05:50 PM
    The cost to repair such a small hole is definitely less than a new phone. In fact, if I am understanding your diagram correctly...it would be relatively easy to make a small, hand-sized access hole through the inside of the housing through the "beam" that would be completely concealed and not even require a repair at all. Perhaps that is what the owner has in mind...after you give up. Lol.
    12-19-16 06:25 PM
    Double sided tape is some sticky stuff. I used Gorilla Double sided tape attached to a metal ruler to pull up a car window out of its channel until I could get the regulator fixed. Put some of that to on an end of an something to reach the device and it will stick to it pronto.
    spiculated likes this.
    12-19-16 06:34 PM
    Double sided tape is some sticky stuff. I used Gorilla Double sided tape attached to a metal ruler to pull up a car window out of its channel until I could get the regulator fixed. Put some of that to on an end of an something to reach the device and it will stick to it pronto.
    I second this option. Gorilla everything is awesome!
    12-19-16 08:13 PM
    I think if you go to a hardware store you can find something that can easily reach that phone. A cheapo curtain rod that has a bend or a flat end + something adhesive would work.
    12-19-16 09:10 PM
    Just my opinion but reaching the phone and grabbing it with something seems like the least of your problems. Pulling the phone back out without it continuously falling back down, or trying to get the phone at the right orientation to pull it back out through the hole will be more problematic.

Options:
    1. Show up with cash in hand for the Owners trouble and ask again about cutting a small hole to retrieve your phone.

2. Show up with a contractor that can cut the hole, patch and paint then and there and discuss with the Owner.

3. Show up one night for karaoke (wear some good boots, steal toe if possible), have a few too many drinks with friends, pick a song with a lot of energy, 'accidentally' kick a hole in the wall and retrieve phone while your friends cover for you. Leave a bit of cash for the damages if you're a stand up guy and plan to ever go back.

For option 3, I am assuming the wall is drywall. If something sturdier, see option 1 or 2 or attempt at your own risk.

Good luck!
    FF22 and diesel0110 like this.
    12-19-16 11:08 PM
    Just my opinion but reaching the phone and grabbing it with something seems like the least of your problems. Pulling the phone back out without it continuously falling back down, or trying to get the phone at the right orientation to pull it back out through the hole will be more problematic.

Options:
    1. Show up with cash in hand for the Owners trouble and ask again about cutting a small hole to retrieve your phone.

2. Show up with a contractor that can cut the hole, patch and paint then and there and discuss with the Owner.

3. Show up one night for karaoke (wear some good boots, steal toe if possible), have a few too many drinks with friends, pick a song with a lot of energy, 'accidentally' kick a hole in the wall and retrieve phone while your friends cover for you. Leave a bit of cash for the damages if you're a stand up guy and plan to ever go back.

For option 3, I am assuming the wall is drywall. If something sturdier, see option 1 or 2 or attempt at your own risk.

Good luck!
    LOL, I'd go with 3.

But again as many have recommended, sticky tape, one or two pairs of dedicated hands (is dedicate the proper word?) and lots of patience. You may need a rod to guide the tape in place. Wrap a cotton ball around the tip of the rod to ensure it will not cause more damage to the phone. You may need to press the tape with the tip of the rod so it will stick firmly in place. Consider a longer section of the tape to give it more sticky power .

Posted from my  Passport
    12-20-16 05:21 AM

Options:

Good luck!
    This.

Any reasonable person should allow you (at your cost) to retrieve and pay for repairs, provided that it is returned to its original state.
    12-20-16 06:05 AM
    Thanks again everyone for all the replies. I have talked with the manager (who then talked to the owner, the one making the decisions) and he says the owner is persistent in not wanting to create a hole or mess up the wall which is understandable (although the manager doesn't think its a big deal) despite having offered to pay all the costs of repair as well as the tools. Haven't met the owner yet as he/she doesn't actually work there but he/she seems like a jerk.

I looked up a few reaching tools but they all seem to be about 3ft long, but the height is about 4ft. Cant seem to find a longer one ><

The wall is actually made from fairly thick particle wood. Kicking it in would be a feat haha. I wish it was drywall.

Anyways, I will probably propose to try the reachy-thing+adhesive but since i will be out of town for the holidays it might have to wait. Really unfortunate timing! ;__; I will update with you guys if I find success with this fiasco. Happy holidays and thanks again!!
    Last edited by jnsf; 12-20-16 at 05:34 PM.
    12-20-16 04:30 PM
    This, absolutely! You're just asking for frustration with anything other than cutting a hole in either the drywall or the "beam".

Keep in mind that if you invest in having a contractor do the repair, you might find that the phone was broken in the fall and the investment was for nothing.

Sorry to be a downer....
    12-20-16 04:34 PM
    Before doing it in live, test it elsewhere with same height and phone weight and size to see if it could work.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    12-20-16 04:59 PM
    Subscribed. This should be on Reddit.
    LyoobaBerry and gizmo21 like this.
    12-20-16 11:50 PM
    OK. How about access from underneath, through the floor or stage, whatever the equipment is sitting on?
    12-21-16 06:54 AM
    For what it's worth, there is enough ferrous material for a fairly strong magnet to work. There is no magnetic media used, (pretty sure there is no miniature tape drive in there) so no worries there. It's conceivable that a too strong magnet could damage the sleep or window sensors used with cases.

If a large hole saw is used, think dryer vent size, it's a nice easy to patch hole. Take the round piece you remove to a good paint store, (not a big box store, unless you, the manager and the owner are OK with an almost match). Take a piece of scrap wood, a bit longer the diameter of the hole, thread it into the back of the wall, hold it centered, a drywall screw on each side, then put the round piece back in, a drywall screw in the existing center hole, patch with drywall mud and paint. If the wood is hard, you might want to countersink for the screws, they should be recessed a bit.
    The owner might be more amenable if he / she knows exactly what you plan to do.
    Last edited by Wezard; 12-21-16 at 08:39 AM.
    12-21-16 08:19 AM
    I had this happen while working on my roof. I watched as my BlackBerry skittered down the slope and then fell 12 feet into an open column. No amount of sticky tape would lift it out.

The solution? My trusty Sears Shop-Vac.
    Wezard, FF22 and dejanh like this.
    12-21-16 09:23 AM
    I had this happen while working on my roof. I watched as my BlackBerry skittered down the slope and then fell 12 feet into an open column. No amount of sticky tape would lift it out.

The solution? My trusty Sears Shop-Vac.
    Did it survive?
    12-21-16 09:47 AM
26 12