Hi,

Just restored PRIV. I had "backup on" previously into my google account so it should have restored correctly.
    It told me it found a version to restore FROM 4 days ago!! (what's the value of that GOOGLE?).

Anyway, I proceeded and all I got was my apps back and basically nothing else.
    NONE, of my 10 email accounts.
    NONE of BBM, whatsapp etc settings.

Is the backup limited to apps only? Why is it called backup then.

Can you help me/point me to a way to somehow manually retrieve my settings and restore them?
    08-22-16 07:52 PM
    Hi,

Just restored PRIV. I had "backup on" previously into my google account so it should have restored correctly.
    It told me it found a version to restore FROM 4 days ago!! (what's the value of that GOOGLE?).

Anyway, I proceeded and all I got was my apps back and basically nothing else.
    NONE, of my 10 email accounts.
    NONE of BBM, whatsapp etc settings.

Is the backup limited to apps only? Why is it called backup then.

Can you help me/point me to a way to somehow manually retrieve my settings and restore them?
    F UUU BB I found the answer on
    What data is backed up to my Google Account

The following type of data is not backed up:
    BlackBerry hub accounts
    BlackBerry contacts
    BlackBerry virtual keyboard settings
    Custom word dictionary
    SMS and MMS (Third-party applications available in Google Play)

WHAT POS BACKUP IS THAT THEN???
    08-22-16 08:42 PM
    F UUU BB I found the answer on
    What data is backed up to my Google Account

The following type of data is not backed up:
    BlackBerry hub accounts
    BlackBerry contacts
    BlackBerry virtual keyboard settings
    Custom word dictionary
    SMS and MMS (Third-party applications available in Google Play)

WHAT POS BACKUP IS THAT THEN???
    Thanks for researching the backup aspects. Folks have wondered about it.

As for Contacts, Calendar and email, I guess you have to rely on either Google, Outlook Yahoo or some other cloud service.

Notes are an anemic, standalone app - no sync or backup.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    08-22-16 08:56 PM
    My Priv arrives tomorrow, will definitely search this forum for a solution to back up settings, BBM, texts, etc. Hope there is something available similar to what we get with BlackBerry link, or is tan Android equivalent a pipe dream?

Passport running on 10.3.2. 2876
    08-22-16 09:11 PM
    Get "My backup pro" from GG Play, you wont have the backup restore trouble anymore. I just got it yesterday. Apart from contacts, sms, the app also allows you backup all sort of things like: app settings, phone settings...
    Or try "Helium" - another great backup solution for non-root devices. I couldnt get Helium to work on my Priv, perhaps you can.
    08-24-16 01:19 AM
    Sounds like you should have backed up to your desktop. Google explicitly states what is backed up with their android backup service.
    What gets backed up with Android Backup Service

Google Calendar settingsWi-Fi networks & passwordsHome screen wallpapersGmail settingsApps installed through Google Play (backed up on the Play Store app)Display settings (Brightness & Sleep)Language & Input settingsDate & TimeThird-party app settings & data (varies by app)

Note:*Not all apps*use*Android Backup Service. Some apps may not back up and restore all data.
    08-24-16 06:04 AM
    I'm not a priv user yet, i'm curious - doesn't BlackBerry link back up and restore all data like it does for OS10?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 06:21 AM
    I'm not a priv user yet, i'm curious - doesn't BlackBerry link back up and restore all data like it does for OS10?

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry Link does not support Android and therefore PRIV is not supported.

I would love this feature as well as Blend but sadly, no.

Edit: Not having had to restore anything from Google (yet) I went ahead and am backing my PRIV up with 2 different utilities, CM Backup and Backup Your Mobile. Of the 2, CM is cleaner, faster and seems to backup all pertinent information.

Also, it appears that the backup your mobile just goes ahead and takes a snapshot then back up that snapshot to Google drive....
    08-24-16 06:52 AM
    Blackberry Link does not support Android and therefore PRIV is not supported.

I would love this feature as well as Blend but sadly, no.

Edit: Not having had to restore anything from Google (yet) I went ahead and am backing my PRIV up with 2 different utilities, CM Backup and Backup Your Mobile. Of the 2, CM is cleaner, faster and seems to backup all pertinent information.

Also, it appears that the backup your mobile just goes ahead and takes a snapshot then back up that snapshot to Google drive....
    I see that one is from Cheetah Mobile. I don't fully recall the critiques but I thought folks were having concerns about privacy with Cheetah. I guess it was when they acquired one of the photo apps.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    08-24-16 12:50 PM
    Spot on. CM under new ownership is considered in Android security and privacy (an oxymoron) circles to be taboo. Horrendous data miners and serious security issues. Recommend researching them first, but I recommend staying away from anything Cheetah Mobile is involved in.

Posted via CB10
    artemis-kun and zephyr613 like this.
    08-24-16 01:08 PM
    BlackBerry should definitely have a backup feature for hub and launcher! For heavens sake what a pain as I just factory reset my PRIV to be able to text again.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 likes this.
    08-24-16 03:48 PM
    I see that one is from Cheetah Mobile. I don't fully recall the critiques but I thought folks were having concerns about privacy with Cheetah. I guess it was when they acquired one of the photo apps.
    I saw that as well, but DTEK is reporting it only accessed my contacts 78 times in past 7 days and I am hoping that was for the weekly scheduled backup. Did NOT access my location or any other information.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-16 08:46 AM
    Spot on. CM under new ownership is considered in Android security and privacy (an oxymoron) circles to be taboo. Horrendous data miners and serious security issues. Recommend researching them first, but I recommend staying away from anything Cheetah Mobile is involved in.

Posted via CB10
    Well,. a quick search revealed this:

https://www.change.org/p/google-inc-...ogle-playstore

and subsequently this:

Popular Photo Gallery App QuickPic Has Been Bought By Cheetah Mobile, And Users Are Pissed

So I may be rethinking that one, but it also may be too late.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-16 08:49 AM