I know it's a long shot but after shifting from the passport to the q10 I almost feel like the tradeoff in screen size, speed and looks was worthwhile just because of the fact that I never have to charge my phone!(BlackBerry battery bundle)
    So while I know that BlackBerry has also moved to the disastrous trend of non removable back first started by apple, is there any chance that the slider might have a removable battery? If not, I'll just stick to my trusty versatile Q

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:34 PM
    Too early to predict.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:47 PM
    I wish! I saw that the Q10 had a 4400mAh battery available from Mugen. Never owned a Q10, but back from when I had a Samsung Transform Ultra with a 4250mAh extended battery, let's just say, I like 'em big! If I wanted to date a woman with the body of a 10 year old boy, I'd just date a 10 year old boy. Similarly, if I wanted a phone the size of an iPhone, I'd get an iPhone. Removable backs, and especially removable backs with large extended battery doors, are great for sneaking things into places, why else would this site be called crackberry?

I'm not helping any.
    05-12-15 12:33 AM
    I doubt it. Hasn't been a removable battery since the Q10.
    Michael_Stewart likes this.
    05-12-15 01:10 PM
    I doubt it. Hasn't been a removable battery since the Q10.
    The sad reality is BlackBerry execs likely see a correlation between smash hit phones and non-removable batteries.... if every phone blackberry sold came with a spare battery and charger bundle, I dont see how people could ever go to a phone without a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 04:37 PM
    The sad reality is BlackBerry execs likely see a correlation between smash hit phones and non-removable batteries.... if every phone blackberry sold came with a spare battery and charger bundle, I dont see how people could ever go to a phone without a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    On the other hand, I would find a larger, fixed battery more appealing than a smaller, non-fixed battery. Especially if the phone is large enough to accommodate a hefty battery (viz. Passport), which the slider appears to be.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 04:39 PM
    If the battery is good enough that it lasts long enough (at least one full day without charging) then I don't see the need for having a removable battery.

Z10 it makes sense because you were either charging or flipping the battery mid day to "keep moving" but with Classic/Passport etc the batteries seems, for the most part, work at least 20-24 hrs with moderate usage. There will always be exceptions.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    05-17-15 05:02 PM
    My gf has a classic and she can't go a full day of heavy use... I agree though, I would be OK with a non-removable battery if it could go 20 hours of constant heavy use.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 07:45 PM
    I had a passport and while it did last me a full day, I often forgot to keep it charging- the next day is spent with a massive portable charger in tow. Removable batteries are just so much more convenient, on my q10, I just wake up and swap out the battery, takes less than 30 seconds. Another advantage : if you're a REAL power user, you can just get a massive Mugen battery and literally have a four day battery life!
    For a company hell bent on promoting its productivity credentials, a removable back is a no-brainer.

PS- I think companies have moved to sealed batteries because batteries fail sooner and that forces the customers to buy a new phone - better turnaround, better sales but what a cheap trick. Meh.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 08:28 AM
    I was at a BlackBerry Security Round Table earlier this week with some BlackBerry executives including the device manager.

The reason for this decision was due to the I-beam construction of the Passport & the way the internal design of the Classic, Leap, Z30 & Q5.

When asking if we will see it again- 95% no. A future Classic upgrade MAY have it, but it is not something we should look forward to.

Glass weave is something else we will not be seeing again as well. There were issues with the grippyness and the material has been ditched for future devices (I loved it)

The new phones however ARE designed to last 20+ hours, but of course this does change person to person unfortunately.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone
    eldricho and Michael_Stewart like this.
    05-18-15 09:40 AM
    The reason for this decision was due to the I-beam construction of the Passport & the way the internal design of the Classic, Leap, Z30 & Q5.
    When asking if we will see it again- 95% no. A future Classic upgrade MAY have it, but it is not something we should look forward to.
    If true, that's too bad. I really liked the idea of having a removable battery; it helps inspire me to take better care of my devices and ease my mind that I can store them for long periods of time if needed. Having the biggest battery in the world doesn't help me if the battery can't easily be replaced when exhausted. However, I did read somewhere in the past that part of the rebooting issue was the removable battery connections.
    05-18-15 11:21 AM