Hey guys, I have an inquiry.

While we are all relieved that Priv has swipe to access hub, but that's only because Lollipop supports swipe gestures, that's why Priv can make use of it. But what I noticed in Marshmallow (which Priv is gonna eventually get) abolished the swipe gestures, instead it's just a long hold to access Google On Tap. (you need to further tap again to go in Google Now, talk about disrupting the flow)

So my question is: Is Blackberry allowed to keep the swipe gestures when it updates to Marshmallow? or do we all have to deal with long pressing for 0.5 seconds every time we wanna go into the hub? (may not be much to the android people but as a BB10 OS user this kinda bothers me)

I really hope Blackberry somehow retains swipe gestures from home even in Marshmallow, this will make it the only Marshmallow device with swipe gestures.
    11-03-15 03:36 AM
    It depends on the launcher I believe

Posted via CB10
    xs27 likes this.
    11-03-15 04:02 AM
    People really worry about every little thing they have to relearn or get used to ^^

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 04:13 AM
    It depends on the launcher I believe

Posted via CB10
    I see, it would be awesome if that's true.
    Thanks for replying!

People really worry about every little thing they have to relearn or get used to ^^

Posted via CB10
    The point is removing something that was good when updated. I would deal with it when it's something small, but this isn't something I think should be removed, I think On Tap is not very useful. especially when users are a lot from BB10OS and are used to the gestures. Guess you don't use BB10.
    11-03-15 04:43 AM
    Yeah - they can keep it - they just add it back in the launcher - google doesn't stop you doing that.
    xs27 likes this.
    11-03-15 04:52 AM
    Yeah - they can keep it - they just add it back in the launcher - google doesn't stop you doing that.
    I just tested on a nexus 5 with Android 6 and Nova launcher and the swipe-up gesture doesn't seem to work, but the "now on tap" there. I am not sure this is a launcher dependent feature, but an OS one.

I am not sure Android OEMs are forced to disable the swipe-up gesture and just leave now on tap, so maybe BB will be able to incorporate this in the OS.
    assk likes this.
    11-03-15 05:07 AM
    I just tested on a nexus 5 with Android 6 and Nova launcher and the swipe-up gesture doesn't seem to work, but the "now on tap" there. I am not sure this is a launcher dependent feature, but an OS one.

I am not sure Android OEMs are forced to disable the swipe-up gesture and just leave now on tap, so maybe BB will be able to incorporate this in the OS.
    Ah that's interesting - I didn't think this was the case but I'll take your word for it - I don't see anything that says an OEM cannot code this back up for features?

anyone able to confirm either way?
    11-03-15 05:12 AM
    Ah that's interesting - I didn't think this was the case but I'll take your word for it - I don't see anything that says an OEM cannot code this back up for features?

anyone able to confirm either way?
    I heard from my friend that custom roms are the only way to do fancy stuffs like these, and while BB Launcher may be close to something like this, it's highly unlikely for a non custom rom to overwrite the stock android's features.

The problem is, how are they gonna include both universal search and hub into On Tap, which only has 1 option to show google now.

I think I'll wait for a Marshmallow update to see how's the phone like. I need to wait for the phone to drop its price anyway.
    11-03-15 06:28 AM
    On my present Android I use an app called 'All in one Gestures' to add gesture functionality. Can be found on the Play Store. Supposedly it works without root.
    xs27 likes this.
    11-03-15 06:54 AM
    On my present Android I use an app called 'All in one Gestures' to add gesture functionality. Can be found on the Play Store. Supposedly it works without root.
    looks like an interesting app, I guess if Marshmallow loses the gestures then I'll just replace with this app, that's what Android is all about right? customising.
    talalal likes this.
    11-03-15 07:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    Learning new things isn't a problem for me. I already use Android, Apple and BB10, as well as Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The issue is replacing an efficient gesture that I repeat 100s of times per day with an inefficient one.

Getting to the Hub on BB10 from any screen or application takes 0.2 seconds and a single swipe of the thumb. I receive an average of 500 communications a day, and I can immediately triage each one in real time as it arrives without having to interrupt my work flow and thinking.

Until a similarly EFFICIENT capability is available on Android (and I really don't care if it's the same gesture or if I have to wink with my left eye instead!), I will continue use my BB10 phone for my goto communications device.

Posted via CB10
    xs27 and assk like this.
    11-03-15 07:28 AM
    So I guess no one really knows eh, even android users? I for one want to try to put faith in BlackBerry and hope they will retain everything even after update, what do you guys think, able to deal with it or not?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 07:24 PM
    So I guess no one really knows eh, even android users? I for one want to try to put faith in BlackBerry and hope they will retain everything even after update, what do you guys think, able to deal with it or not?

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure the BB10 gestures are not in the PRIV yet since BB10 gestures was one of the major hurdles iOS and Android users complained about.

Let's just wait and see, people getting exposed to HUB might be "revolutionary" for most then hit them with gestures.
    11-04-15 03:27 PM