So besides this "You don't know sh** bro" - "No, you don't know sh**" thing you got going on with Alejandro Nova, am I correct in saying that both of you agree that if BB10 is to survive, the only reasonable / feasible option is to integrate Qt 5.x into BB10? (I.e. it's the most efficient way for BlackBerry to update its OS in terms of goodies and APIs and whatnot as well as potentially upgrading its Android runtime/compatibility?)
    What is disturbing is the QT5 is supported in QNX infotainment, but not in BB10. Yet more BlackBerry inefficiency. They need to keep BB10 inline with things, and the fact that they have not, and the crypto kernel in BB10 hasn't been updated for a while either speaks volumes.

Posted via Z30
    08-20-15 07:28 AM
    So besides this "You don't know sh** bro" - "No, you don't know sh**" thing you got going on with Alejandro Nova, am I correct in saying that both of you agree that if BB10 is to survive, the only reasonable / feasible option is to integrate Qt 5.x into BB10? (I.e. it's the most efficient way for BlackBerry to update its OS in terms of goodies and APIs and whatnot as well as potentially upgrading its Android runtime/compatibility?)
    An OS needs to be continuous updated with new features. Qt4.8 is EOL and no more bug fixes are being applied. BlackBerry has updated QNX to Qt5. That means that BlackBerry sees a future with QNX and not BlackBerry 10.
    08-20-15 07:45 AM
    An OS needs to be continuous updated with new features. Qt4.8 is EOL and no more bug fixes are being applied. BlackBerry has updated QNX to Qt5. That means that BlackBerry sees a future with QNX and not BlackBerry 10.
    Unfortunately, I do agree that the signs point in that direction.
    My question was more of a theoretical one, though, if it pleases you to indulge in it. Is Qt5 basically the only way forward for BB10? I could imagine them (again, in theory) developing the OS in-house, but probably that would cost them more manpower than they have (left). But perhaps taking that route would have advantages I'm not aware of, like doing stuff that Qt 5 doesn't allow?

Thanks.
    08-20-15 09:15 AM
    Not claiming to know all the details, source was direct, and sharing what I was told. Take it as you will. I'm definitely NOT trolling!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    This place has turned into a heresay-fest and it's hard to gauge what will really happen. I'd like to believe what you were told but at this point I gotta see it to believe it. For right now, it seems BBRy's name will be tainted with droid.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 09:16 AM
    Hypervisor hypervisor...no way hypervisor.
    The people (mods) who REALLY know something already hinted about that.

Posted via CB10
    And if you actually read about it... quite obvious it's not for BB10. Somebody here at CB twisted it and 100's flocked to reciprocate false news.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    08-20-15 09:18 AM
    Unfortunately, I do agree that the signs point in that direction.
    My question was more of a theoretical one, though, if it pleases you to indulge in it. Is Qt5 basically the only way forward for BB10? I could imagine them (again, in theory) developing the OS in-house, but probably that would cost them more manpower than they have (left). But perhaps taking that route would have advantages I'm not aware of, like doing stuff that Qt 5 doesn't allow?

Thanks.
    They have already developed an in-house OS. All the development to get to where we are today is spent. Now it is upgrading it. Trying to put all the features of BB10 on an Android would take just as much time if not more to keep the BlackBerry 10 OS updated. Since they don't have the skills to to Qt development (it was done by another company for BlackBerry), then have to continue to work with a current form of Qt which is 5. They are doing this with the QNX OS.

I am thinking now that they are stopping work on BlackBerry 10 as a side agreement to get Android on the phones and still allow the Android run time on a legacy OS (BlackBerry 10).
    08-20-15 09:52 AM
    And if you actually read about it... quite obvious it's not for BB10. Somebody here at CB twisted it and 100's flocked to reciprocate false news.

Posted via CB10
    Same is for QNX, lol
    extisis likes this.
    08-20-15 10:02 AM
    As to using android, I suppose it doesn't matter much if he wants to try to boost sales by trying
    this route, but as has been stated before, android is on a race to the bottom. Even the mighty
    Samsung has had problems keeping up sales volumes where they want. So, unless Chen has
    an android rabbit up his sleeve, I'm not sure it's going to make a dent. Who knows?

As to the end of the line for BB10, take a look at it from Chen's holy grail, Government,
    business, healthcare, etc. It took BB several years to get all of those government
    security certifications. Keep in mind, as far as I know, only Samsung Knox even started
    down this road. It will take several more years to start from scratch with a new Android
    device. Meantime, who thinks these customers will wait or buy EOL devices waiting
    for BB? Remember, BB tossed the idea of a consumer device years ago. These people
    are all they have left. BB is not in any position to dictate to any customers a 100% switch
    to Android. Out of all the possibilities, BB dies, android gains nothing, and IBM+Apple get
    the break they've been looking for as it becomes a wide open competition.

As much as the "consumers" want android, and could care less about BB10, performing
    a complete 180 turn and overhaul of their software would most likely end in loosing the very
    customer base that Chen has spent his entire time courting.

Several companies market android and windows phones at the same time. This is MUCH
    more probable than committing corporate suicide.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    08-20-15 09:43 PM
    Just got full confirmation, the slider WILL be 100% for sure android and no BB10 version planned as of now. And it will be pure vanilla android with bb10 features. GPS as well but I will be able to confirm GPS tmr. Believe me or not but my sources are VERY high up and they have yet to be wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is it. Its real. And I am excited. Part of me is sad as I do love BB10 for its strength BUT I would rather have a blackberry handset rather than no backberry handset at all.
    Will it be released in Europe? And will it be before christmas? Will it be unveiled at IFA Berlin?

Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 07:09 AM
    As to using android, I suppose it doesn't matter much if he wants to try to boost sales by trying
    this route, but as has been stated before, android is on a race to the bottom. Even the mighty
    Samsung has had problems keeping up sales volumes where they want. So, unless Chen has
    an android rabbit up his sleeve, I'm not sure it's going to make a dent. Who knows?

As to the end of the line for BB10, take a look at it from Chen's holy grail, Government,
    business, healthcare, etc. It took BB several years to get all of those government
    security certifications. Keep in mind, as far as I know, only Samsung Knox even started
    down this road. It will take several more years to start from scratch with a new Android
    device. Meantime, who thinks these customers will wait or buy EOL devices waiting
    for BB? Remember, BB tossed the idea of a consumer device years ago. These people
    are all they have left. BB is not in any position to dictate to any customers a 100% switch
    to Android. Out of all the possibilities, BB dies, android gains nothing, and IBM+Apple get
    the break they've been looking for as it becomes a wide open competition.

As much as the "consumers" want android, and could care less about BB10, performing
    a complete 180 turn and overhaul of their software would most likely end in loosing the very
    customer base that Chen has spent his entire time courting.

Several companies market android and windows phones at the same time. This is MUCH
    more probable than committing corporate suicide.
    Finally someone who gets it. I don't care if it's bb10 or Droid as if it's Droid I can get an iphone, if bb10 I stay so I don't care because I have good options either way. Everyone is forgetting that if BlackBerry does go Droid they are gambling away their loyal customers who's been there for them through the toughest times, if this plan fails, I won't be getting a bb10 device (assuming they go 180 again), I'll get the iphone 7. I'm sure it seems like half of BlackBerry users want one and the other wants the other

Posted via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    08-21-15 07:23 AM
    Finally someone who gets it. I don't care if it's bb10 or Droid as if it's Droid I can get an iphone, if bb10 I stay so I don't care because I have good options either way. Everyone is forgetting that if BlackBerry does go Droid they are gambling away their loyal customers who's been there for them through the toughest times, if this plan fails, I won't be getting a bb10 device (assuming they go 180 again), I'll get the iphone 7. I'm sure it seems like half of BlackBerry users want one and the other wants the other

Posted via CB10
    I'm curious, how loyal are blackberry customers? I notice some bb users are using some pretty old blackberries and have no intentions of upgrading, I also notice some complaining about the price (why get this blackberry running Android when I can buy another android device for less) and then of course you have those hardcore bb fans who buy the same phone but in different colors.

I just wonder how loyal some of these users really are. I was on the blackberry subreddit and someone was complaining about a game that cost $4.99 on the blackberry app store, I just found it funny that some people complain about the lack of apps and yet there unwilling to support the devs.

Anyways I'm side tracking my main point is that I don't think some blackberry users are not as loyal as they claim to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    08-21-15 08:22 AM
    I'm curious, how loyal are blackberry customers? I notice some bb users are using some pretty old blackberries and have no intentions of upgrading, I also notice some complaining about the price (why get this blackberry running Android when I can buy another android device for less) and then of course you have those hardcore bb fans who buy the same phone but in different colors.

I just wonder how loyal some of these users really are. I was on the blackberry subreddit and someone was complaining about a game that cost $4.99 on the blackberry app store, I just found it funny that some people complain about the lack of apps and yet there unwilling to support the devs.

Anyways I'm side tracking my main point is that I don't think some blackberry users are not as loyal as they claim to be.

So in your opinion, is someone that used BBOS exclusively and went to a BB10 all touch device and used it exclusively, but doesn't want an Android BlackBerry device not a loyal customer? Should a loyal customer accept an inferior OS when the reason BB10 failed was the lack of consumer awareness on the new OS and devices? And finally, isn't loyalty a two way street as Chen stated in an interview, and if so, is/has BlackBerry been loyal to its customers?

Posted via Z30
    extisis likes this.
    08-21-15 08:33 AM
    I can understand some user being so dedicated to BB10 and not wanting to jump ship to any other operating system. What I question is, those who are already willing to jump ship without even seeing what this new slider is capable of. Sure it might be Android but blackberry seems to be adding their own twist to it, who knows it might actually run a lot smoother than other versions of Android (Touchwhiz, HTC Sense, etc.)

I'm simply saying that people need to wati it out. Their version of Android might actually be pretty solid.
    08-21-15 09:17 AM
    I can understand some user being so dedicated to BB10 and not wanting to jump ship to any other operating system. What I question is, those who are already willing to jump ship without even seeing what this new slider is capable of. Sure it might be Android but blackberry seems to be adding their own twist to it, who knows it might actually run a lot smoother than other versions of Android (Touchwhiz, HTC Sense, etc.)

I'm simply saying that people need to wati it out. Their version of Android might actually be pretty solid.
    Problem is the release date looks to be quite a ways away. By that time the new iPhone will be out, LG G4 pro, LG nexus 5 2015, Huawei nexus and the note 5 and 6 edge plus.

I can't open more than two apps without both crashing all the time on my z30. Am trying to be patient and not jump ship, but if they take too long I won't be able to hold out. Too many good phones out there and I am just not willing to put up with bull**** problems anymore. I have had the z30 since close to release date by the Way.

You snooze you loose. Bbry is definitely snoozing.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-21-15 10:07 AM

Is not about that,is that we BlackBerry users know that bb10 is by far a better os than android (not more mature but just better) and is killing us to think that they may ditch the best os that there is in favor of android,i mean have you try android? I did with my father's phone and that thing is like a computer when is infected with a bunch of Spyware, you'll see pop ups everywhere at all times,everything looks so congested, how that os became so popular is beyond me,all we need is a better runtime integration with bb10 and we'll have the best of both worlds,hopefully that's what blackberry is working on.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-21-15 10:10 AM
    So in your opinion, is someone that used BBOS exclusively and went to a BB10 all touch device and used it exclusively, but doesn't want an Android BlackBerry device not a loyal customer? Should a loyal customer accept an inferior OS when the reason BB10 failed was the lack of consumer awareness on the new OS and devices? And finally, isn't loyalty a two way street as Chen stated in an interview, and if so, is/has BlackBerry been loyal to its customers?

Posted via Z30
    If bb10 goes eol, thats twice I have been Shafted by blackberry. First the playbook. Now this. And to think I I recently upgraded my family to bb10 as well. Fool me once...

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt and KingOfQwerty like this.
    08-21-15 10:12 AM

I don't want a BlackBerry Android device. I don't need to wait for it to come out to know this. Android is my third choice of OS. BB10 first, iOS second, and Android is third. I also don't trust BlackBerry to keep up with BB10 if they release and Android device. If they are releasing Android to secure GPS for BB10, then fine, but they better start talking real soon.

Posted via Z30
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-21-15 11:17 AM
    I don't want a BlackBerry Android device. I don't need to wait for it to come out to know this. Android is my third choice of OS. BB10 first, iOS second, and Android is third. I also don't trust BlackBerry to keep up with BB10 if they release and Android device. If they are releasing Android to secure GPS for BB10, then fine, but they better start talking real soon.

Posted via Z30
    Agreed with everything said in this post!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 11:22 AM
    Is not about that,is that we BlackBerry users know that bb10 is by far a better os than android (not more mature but just better) and is killing us to think that they may ditch the best os that there is in favor of android,i mean have you try android? I did with my father's phone and that thing is like a computer when is infected with a bunch of Spyware, you'll see pop ups everywhere at all times,everything looks so congested, how that os became so popular is beyond me,all we need is a better runtime integration with bb10 and we'll have the best of both worlds,hopefully that's what blackberry is working on.

Posted via CB10
    I think the problem with people trying android is that they try it in odd situations. For example, if I wanted someone to try blackberry, I wouldn't show them the classic, I wouldn't show them the leap since their low end phones. I'd show them the passport, it's an attractive looking device, a high end device with a great camera.

My point is that sometimes someone uses a budget phone running Android or a really low end device running Android and base their decision off that.

Not to mention that yes, sometimes you'll download some apps that don't play too nice with android and you might suffer fast battery drain, or even crashes that's all on the apps though.

I know I'm in a room of blackberry faithful which is cool, I just wish people were more open to it. Yes, the competition will be stiff for blackberry and they'll have plenty of contenders but hopefully this makes blackberry popular among your average consumer again.

mania626 likes this.
    08-21-15 01:44 PM
    you don't try android in odd circumstances. you try it and if it doesn't work for you, then so be it. you can only hype android so much until the ugly truth sticks out.

and this phone won't make blackberry popular again.. it'll be about a month's worth of reviews and features... then down the wayside it goes under the rest of forgettable android devices. unless there's a BB10 version then that one will stick out for most of us ;-)
    08-21-15 02:47 PM
    BlackBerry has the chance to sell hundreds of millions of this device to a whole different target audience. How can an Android BlackBerry which will be the one and only keyboard Android device go under? It will go under if it's running BB10 because potential buyers will say: "Nice device, really, but the software is so limited"

Welcome to the real world!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 03:32 PM
    BlackBerry has the chance to sell hundreds of millions of this device to a whole different target audience. Posted via CB10
    100s of millions is really pushing the boundaries of reality. Get real.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 04:39 PM

It doesn't really matter how old the device, these companies are using BES and BB handsets, the are paying customers.
    The better question is why do you think they're still running this system? As has been pounded home over and over,
    android and ios have a much larger app selection. All of these people have had years to switch. The key is to get your
    mindset out of the consumer world. The most likely reason is that there isn't a better solution for their needs (security, management,
    etc. for the money). Chen was not lying when he said you could use android on BES, but it won't be as secure as their current
    handsets (or BB10 for that matter).

My guess as to why most are not committing to new hardware from BB is that there afraid that BB won't be around or won't be
    committed to their new investment. This is mostly due to an INCESSANT barrage from the press that BB is going under and won't be
    around for support. BB needs to convince these customers that they're in it for the long haul and will be around for a long, long time.

An android handset may or may not hurt that cause, but axing BB10 would destroy any image they have worked hard to create
    that they have secure, reliable, LONG TERM solutions for their target audience.
    Last edited by srb151; 08-21-15 at 07:22 PM. Reason: no message
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-21-15 07:04 PM
    If the slider is gonna run BB10 then this will be my first BlackBerry ever (my mum has had the Z30 and currently the Passport). And no, my mum and I are just *regular* end users who like a productive OS. (currently I'm using the Jolla phone with slider keyboard, before that I used the HP Pre 3 slider phone).
    Awesome. I think of Jolla Sailfish as a kind of cousin of BB10. You'll love the stability of the QNX kernel. Assuming we don't go Android, of course.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:34 PM
    Awesome. I think of Jolla Sailfish as a kind of cousin of BB10. You'll love the stability of the QNX kernel. Assuming we don't go Android, of course.

Posted via CB10
    I was screaming furiously to Jolla, because I wanted a phone from them. No dice, so, that's how I discovered BlackBerry . My GF was a heavy 8520 user before switching to an iDevice, though.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-21-15 09:03 PM
283 ... 9101112