If the specs are right for the slider, then existing BB10 hardware will be unable to run it without serious lag. So I expect the answer is no.
    Yeah but if BlackBerry releases it for Slider, why not make it a valid for older users too

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 08:19 PM
    Can you ask your highly trustable source what will happen with current passport devices in terms of updates?
    I do not need a paperweight

Posted via CB10
    It will continue to be supported.

Just go ahead and install BlackBerry apps on any chinese Android slab like Huawei or Xiaomi and you have your BlackBerry device for almost nothing. Slider is outsourced design as well so it's all far from being a BlackBerry device.
    Cool story bro. Once you get past the bitterness I am sure you will enjoy the slider
    Last edited by vegetto_456; 08-18-15 at 08:40 PM.
    08-18-15 08:26 PM
    Cool story bro. Once you get past the bitterness I ams sure you will enjoy the slider
    Supported means that what you see if what you will have in the future. Think BBOS7. It is supported but not updated.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    08-18-15 08:40 PM
    I'm curious. If the Slider releases with Android, will bb10 devices be able to update to android?

Posted via CB10
    correction: downgrade to android.
    lnichols and Vistaus like this.
    08-18-15 10:52 PM
    Yeah but if BlackBerry releases it for Slider, why not make it a valid for older users too

Posted via CB10
    because most BB10 users won't care to. no demand for this.
    08-18-15 10:53 PM

Cool story bro. Once you get past the bitterness I am sure you will enjoy the slider
    Nah man Android is not my thing. Having the interface slip underneath your fingers as you pan and scroll is just a poor design on top of poor foundation. Also having gazillion apps for little things that should have been implemented within the main framework makes it too fragmented for my liking. If you think that fresh and new Blackberry Android Experience Suite whatever can reproduce Blackberry experience just go ahead, give it a half a year and it might work properly.
    08-19-15 03:00 AM
    I suspect that 10.3.3 will be the BB10 OS version that removes the Android runtime from BB10, thus making BlackBerry compliant with OHA restrictions since the Slider will be a standard Android device with Google Play Services. Castration of BB10!!! Snip snip!! Hahaha! This would also explain why BlackBerry would want to keep this OS version as secret as possible.
    I doubt. They have just released Passport SE and there are tons of Android port apps in BBW which needs ART.

The only logical/legal route is leave them at 10.3.2 OR some sort of BBRY-GOOG agreement to continue BB10 development (albeit slow pace) with relevant ART.
    08-19-15 04:07 AM
    Check this.

Slider will come in Droid and and BB10 versions!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1034470

:-D

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-19-15 06:07 AM
    Check this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1034470

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    What a much needed relief...! Thank You!! Hope fully BlackBerry don't release BlackBerry 10 version at 2016 fall or something like they did with blue/white classic

Celebrating 70th birthday of ROK � 위대한 여정 새로운 도약
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    08-19-15 06:25 AM
    Check this.

Slider will be Android, but will have BB10 too! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

•   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   •
    seems like anyone and everyone likes to say they have a "source" or a "buddy that work at BB" and knows all the details. it's Troll season at CB.
    08-19-15 09:32 AM
    Well this is no Surprise and it looks like the cat is out of bag. The Chen surprise is google play store. There is a fork in it and that is fine with me. BB10 for life!
    08-19-15 11:27 AM
    WOW.
    TAT wrote Cascades.
    Cascades: Rich UI Development for BlackBerry Apps | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    BlackBerry bought TAT.
    BlackBerry is the only one who has access to Cascades designed for BlackBerry 10.
    Are you 100% sure?

https://www.kdab.com/technologies/qnx/

I tend to believe these guys for 2 reasons: 1. they employ some guys who worked at Trolltech; 2. they are one of the companies who contribute the most to Qt itself. BB commissioned the QNX port to them, and they helped to create Cascades.

AFAIK TAT designed the interface of Cascades, but KDAB knows the nitty-gritty.
    08-19-15 02:09 PM
    Are you 100% sure?

https://www.kdab.com/technologies/qnx/

I tend to believe these guys for 2 reasons: 1. they employ some guys who worked at Trolltech; 2. they are one of the companies who contribute the most to Qt itself. BB commissioned the QNX port to them, and they helped to create Cascades.

AFAIK TAT designed the interface of Cascades, but KDAB knows the nitty-gritty.
    TAT created Cascades and KDAB made the Qt libraries to tie the two together, but KDAB does not have access to Cascades.
    08-19-15 02:15 PM
    TAT created Cascades and KDAB made the Qt libraries to tie the two together, but KDAB does not have access to Cascades.
    Any info to back that up? Looks like you cannot help with something you don't have access to.
    08-19-15 03:15 PM
    Originally Posted by Prem WatsApp
    Slider will be Android, but will have BB10 too! - BlackBerry Forums

At this point we'll have to assume that any BB10 version of the Slider will be pure BB10.3.3 with no Android Runtime.
    08-19-15 03:16 PM
    The Hypervisor theory says: you need no stinking Android runtime when you can make Android do the dirty work. So, no Android Runtime
    08-19-15 03:20 PM
    That's the theory, but so far we've only had people claim to have see Android and BB10 versions of the slider with no mention of the Hypervisor. Then there's the OHA issue.
    08-19-15 03:27 PM
    The Hypervisor theory says: you need no stinking Android runtime when you can make Android do the dirty work. So, no Android Runtime
    except the hypervisor's theory pertains to QNX, not BB10.
    08-19-15 03:30 PM
    Any info to back that up? Looks like you cannot help with something you don't have access to.
    Oh well. If you are trying to say that someone else developed Cascades other than TAT, good luck with that. There is so much information out there on this.
    08-19-15 03:32 PM
    Hypervisor hypervisor...no way hypervisor.
    The people (mods) who REALLY know something already hinted about that.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 04:04 PM
    seems like anyone and everyone likes to say they have a "source" or a "buddy that work at BB" and knows all the details. it's Troll season at CB.
    Not claiming to know all the details, source was direct, and sharing what I was told. Take it as you will. I'm definitely NOT trolling!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    John Villareal likes this.
    08-19-15 05:29 PM
    Oh well. If you are trying to say that someone else developed Cascades other than TAT, good luck with that. There is so much information out there on this.
    Designed != Developed.

It very well could have been TAT's design, with another team doing the heavy lifting. There are lots and lots of cases where a company designs something, but doesn't have the knowledge or resources to fully develop it. Especially, if you don't have the experience of actually releasing a usable product.

This thread from 2009 rags on them for making concept UI's, but not releasing anything of substance.
    TAT cascades UI - what exactly is that? - XDA Forums
    They do concepts. That's all there is to it. None of it are real. They make pre-recorded videos and just does the touch gestures on cue.
    I really don't care about this argument, I'm just pointing out this is semantics and neither of you really know, just think.

"Cascades � the UI framework that TAT uses"
    "Cascades -- is a UI framework designed by TAT and has now been implemented into the BlackBerry Native SDK."
    "TAT certainly has pedigree: it designed the G1 interface for Google Android's maiden outing"
    "comissioned by the folks over at Spotify to design the minty-fresh appearance of its cross-platform mobile app."

In other words, they might know eye pleasing aesthetics, but not necessarily coding experience, for which they get outside help with.

Edit. Not really in response to the Cascades specifically, but the QT side of it.
    08-19-15 05:36 PM
    I gave you my source. Please, give us your source that TAT were the *only* developers behind Cascades, with no external intervention, and no, that blog post you cited don't suffices.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-19-15 09:41 PM
    Designed != Developed.

It very well could have been TAT's design, with another team doing the heavy lifting. There are lots and lots of cases where a company designs something, but doesn't have the knowledge or resources to fully develop it. Especially, if you don't have the experience of actually releasing a usable product.

This thread from 2009 rags on them for making concept UI's, but not releasing anything of substance.
    TAT cascades UI - what exactly is that? - XDA Forums

I really don't care about this argument, I'm just pointing out this is semantics and neither of you really know, just think.

"Cascades � the UI framework that TAT uses"
    "Cascades -- is a UI framework designed by TAT and has now been implemented into the BlackBerry Native SDK."
    "TAT certainly has pedigree: it designed the G1 interface for Google Android's maiden outing"
    "comissioned by the folks over at Spotify to design the minty-fresh appearance of its cross-platform mobile app."

In other words, they might know eye pleasing aesthetics, but not necessarily coding experience, for which they get outside help with.

Edit. Not really in response to the Cascades specifically, but the QT side of it.
    Exactly this. Also: I told you that KDAB is one of the companies who know the most about Qt, the numbers to prove it are on qt.io, and the history of some of their developers goes back to the Trolltech era, so, if someone can write something as complex as Cascades, they certainly can do that (following TAT designs, of course).

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-19-15 09:49 PM
    So besides this "You don't know sh** bro" - "No, you don't know sh**" thing you got going on with Alejandro Nova, am I correct in saying that both of you agree that if BB10 is to survive, the only reasonable / feasible option is to integrate Qt 5.x into BB10? (I.e. it's the most efficient way for BlackBerry to update its OS in terms of goodies and APIs and whatnot as well as potentially upgrading its Android runtime/compatibility?)
    Last edited by SirQ; 08-20-15 at 04:14 AM. Reason: language, language
    08-20-15 04:03 AM
283 ... 89101112