The only way to properly end this, is to ask KDAB if they are porting Cascades to Qt5.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 08-18-15 at 03:18 PM.
    08-18-15 12:47 PM
    Actually he doesn't. To say that 10.3.3 is going to be a replica of 10.3.2 running on Qt5 is a joke of a comment. Qt 5 is a framework for developing application on a platform, not a platform itself.

Considering that the developers of Qt are not working on BlackBerry 10, means that Blackberry 10 as a future OS is now a dead end platform. No new features will be coming in terms of Qt support.
    But why does Qt need to do the work? On AmigaOS 4 and Haiku, the community maintains Qt4 and 5. So who's to say no one is porting Qt5 over to BB10 then?
    08-18-15 12:54 PM
    The sold PlayBook's towards the end on the basis that they were getting BB10. Show me the lawsuits.

Posted via CB10
    As far as I know they did no such thing. I never saw an ad or release officially stating that it was getting BB10. Even if they did 'promise', it's a far different thing.
    However a better analogy would be a scenario that saw them update the PlayBook to BB10, announce it to the world, advertise it and its benefits, then remove it all together from the device a short time later after they had sold many to consumers who probably bought based on its inclusion.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-18-15 12:56 PM
    The only way to properly end this, is to ask KDAV if they are porting Cascades to Qt5.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    KDAB doesn't own or have access to Cascades. Cascades is an internal BlackBerry library. BlackBerry would have to update Cascades to support Qt5. You should know that.

QT5 are libraries. BlackBerry supplies the Qt4 libraries in the OS. They don't have Qt5 libraries in the OS. As a developer, you cannot load them yourselves in the OS. You have to supply them in your application. This would mean native apps that are slower as it would have to load the lib into memory before your apps will run. You also have to use QtQuick for your GUI elements in Qt5 and native looking BlackBerry 10 controls would have to be recreated from scratch or not use them all all. You should also know this.

So yes, you could have Qt5 apps on BlackBerry 10, but you would have to do all the work yourself. You could not use a single thing from BlackBerry including the GUI controls. As I have said, BlackBerry has given up on moving forward with BlackBerry 10 native development.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-18-15 01:08 PM
    But why does Qt need to do the work? On AmigaOS 4 and Haiku, the community maintains Qt4 and 5. So who's to say no one is porting Qt5 over to BB10 then?
    Sure. The community could recreate everything to get Qt5 up and running on BlackBerry 10. How does that change what I have said about BlackBerry not moving native application forward?

BlackBerry: Cascades (native GUI elements), Momentics IDE, documentation, QT libraries at the OS level.

Community: All the work including the IDE and GUI elements (no access to Cascades) would have to be done by volunteers. Each Qt5 application would have to have all the libraries at the app level. (slower app start up times).
    08-18-15 01:14 PM
    Or one could bind all of the ported Qt5 together in a single bar file, replacing system files. At least, I imagine that could be possible. Would be risky, but there are always people who like to tinker
    08-18-15 01:24 PM
    Or one could bind all of the ported Qt5 together in a single bar file, replacing system files. At least, I imagine that could be possible. Would be risky, but there are always people who like to tinker
    You cannot change system files. The boot loader checks all system files for tampering. Even if you could do it, it wouldn't load the OS.
    08-18-15 01:34 PM
    Yeah the security conscious customers would love that. It would tank BlackBerry sales to all free governments worldwide.

Posted via Z30
    You think there is some tied in hardware security functionality in slider?
    08-18-15 02:34 PM
    That can only come by rewriting the boot loader for Android. The OS files would also have to be signed to make sure they were not tampered with. This might be considered a "fork".
    08-18-15 02:50 PM
    KDAB doesn't own or have access to Cascades. Cascades is an internal BlackBerry library. BlackBerry would have to update Cascades to support Qt5. You should know that.

QT5 are libraries. BlackBerry supplies the Qt4 libraries in the OS. They don't have Qt5 libraries in the OS. As a developer, you cannot load them yourselves in the OS. You have to supply them in your application. This would mean native apps that are slower as it would have to load the lib into memory before your apps will run. You also have to use QtQuick for your GUI elements in Qt5 and native looking BlackBerry 10 controls would have to be recreated from scratch or not use them all all. You should also know this.

So yes, you could have Qt5 apps on BlackBerry 10, but you would have to do all the work yourself. You could not use a single thing from BlackBerry including the GUI controls. As I have said, BlackBerry has given up on moving forward with BlackBerry 10 native development.
    KDAB (sorry for the typo) wrote Cascades for BlackBerry, so, they should know, but it seems all relevant information has disappeared and you need an Enterprise account at the Qt Company to access all this information (again, something totally compatible with a NDA).

Also, there is another reason for the port: from August 16th, according to the qt-developer mailing list, Qt 4.8 is over. No more bug fixes. So the options reduce to a) a port, or b) the dropping of the entire BlackBerry 10 OS, the Elopocalypse scenario. And I don't want to think John Chen is going to do something as absurd as what Stephen Elop did back in the day.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-18-15 03:04 PM
    Wouldn't apps developed on Qt for Android run on BB10 with the Android runtime?

If BlackBerry is providing a path for BB10 to continue, wouldn't it make a lot of sense to give BB10 a completely compatible and higher performance runtime? This seems much more likely than BlackBerry rewriting BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 03:16 PM
    Qt 5 can be used to develop Android apps right now.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android-support.html

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-18-15 03:18 PM
    KDAB (sorry for the typo) wrote Cascades for BlackBerry, so, they should know, but it seems all relevant information has disappeared and you need an Enterprise account at the Qt Company to access all this information (again, something totally compatible with a NDA).

Also, there is another reason for the port: from August 16th, according to the qt-developer mailing list, Qt 4.8 is over. No more bug fixes. So the options reduce to a) a port, or b) the dropping of the entire BlackBerry 10 OS, the Elopocalypse scenario. And I don't want to think John Chen is going to do something as absurd as what Stephen Elop did back in the day.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    WOW.
    TAT wrote Cascades.
    Cascades: Rich UI Development for BlackBerry Apps | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    BlackBerry bought TAT.
    BlackBerry is the only one who has access to Cascades designed for BlackBerry 10.

If you don't know about Cascades and who designed it and owns it, then all your other information is suspect.

There is a third option which is what is happening. BlackBerry doesn't do anything. Leaves Qt at 4.8 and stops developing BlackBerry 10 other than bug fixes.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-18-15 03:21 PM
    That can only come by rewriting the boot loader for Android. The OS files would also have to be signed to make sure they were not tampered with. This might be considered a "fork".
    John Chen could then say he had "secured Android," as he said he would like to do, and then say that it's now only available from BlackBerry.
    08-18-15 03:33 PM
    John Chen could then say he had "secured Android," as he said he would like to do, and then say that it's now only available from BlackBerry.
    But at that point, if a fork, then no GPS and GPS required apps.
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-18-15 03:39 PM
    Chomp chomp...eating popcorn while reading this thread! Better than an action movie!

Posted via CB10
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    08-18-15 03:43 PM
    Chomp chomp...eating popcorn while reading this thread! Better than an action movie!

Posted via CB10
    You need to get out more.

Posted via CB10
    sirius27 and vgorous like this.
    08-18-15 03:51 PM
    No I'm saying Huawei is not a trusted vendor for hardware in many countries governments. The US told sprint to get Huawei stuff of their network or lose Government business.

Posted via Z30
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-18-15 04:44 PM
    Just go ahead and install BlackBerry apps on any chinese Android slab like Huawei or Xiaomi and you have your BlackBerry device for almost nothing. Slider is outsourced design as well so it's all far from being a BlackBerry device.
    Outsourced to who? Who would have the funding to work on a slider mechanism other than BlackBerry engineers?
    08-18-15 04:56 PM
    I confused @bluenoser @alejandro which one of you right?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Team Bluenoser

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-18-15 06:50 PM
    I'm curious. If the Slider releases with Android, will bb10 devices be able to update to android?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 07:26 PM
    Best question and post I've since in a while. I'm interested in the answer to this...

I'm curious. If the Slider releases with Android, will bb10 devices be able to update to android?

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    08-18-15 07:38 PM
    Seems doubtful given that one of the security features of BlackBerry BB10 phones is that you can't root them and flash a new ROM as is routinely done with Android phones.
    08-18-15 07:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    If the specs are right for the slider, then existing BB10 hardware will be unable to run it without serious lag. So I expect the answer is no.
    08-18-15 08:14 PM
    If the specs are right for the slider, then existing BB10 hardware will be unable to run it without serious lag. So I expect the answer is no.
    How much lag can there possibly be? There are android phones with much worse specs than even the Z10 that run it fine. Also, Android M is meant to be very light so older phones can run it (similar to ios 9)

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 08:19 PM
283 ... 7891011 ...