This guy ^ looks like he knows what he is talking about to me.

Posted via CB10
    sirius27 and Vistaus like this.
    08-18-15 08:11 AM
    It's pretty obvious that you don't know what an OS is. Look at the KDE Qt4 to Qt5 migration for a quick example of a huge migration: everything was replaced, there was a KDE4Support library to aid with the porting, and there is a new API and SDK (KDE Frameworks 5). I expect the same to happen with BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry 10 is not a kernel. QNX is a kernel. There isn't a "Qt for KDE", there is Qt for Linux. So, "Qt 5 for BlackBerry 10" is a way to run Qt 5 apps alongside BlackBerry 10 and without replacing system libraries. If you want to rebuild the whole thing, you need the same thing you began with: Qt for QNX.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    You have no clue to the fact that QNX isn't BlackBerry 10. They are two separate product streams.

Here is a direct post from the people who are in charge of Qt development.

Hello,

After discussing this with Bernd, who maintains the QNX platform together with
    myself, we have decided to mark the BlackBerry 10 platform unsupported.

According to BlackBerry, they are still committed to Qt4 releases, but have no
    plans for Qt5. With that in mind, and given the fact that we have limited
    resources, maintaining the BB10 port becomes an unfeasible task, and we prefer
    to focus on stock QNX, which remains unaffected by this announcement.

The plan is to keep the BB10 plugin around for now (just that we will no longer be
    officially supporting it), but eventually we plan to remove it completely from
    the Qt codebase in case no one looks after it. We will keep it around while it
    still works, but there will be no committment on keeping it working.

Kind regards,
    Rafael
    Hi all,

Exactly what Bo said.

From time to time I keep getting BB10 related bug reports. It is not a lot,
    but they still exist. In additition to that, there have been quite some
    changes in Qt (such as the move towards C++11, or the forkfd based QProcess)
    that affect QNX/BB10. These involve some testing to make sure no regressions
    have been introduced (for instance, I have two pending patches for fixing the
    QNX build on Windows that was broken because of a patch related to IPC and
    shared memory). The focus now falls entirely on spending these limited
    resources on keeping QNX 650 and 660 healthy on Qt - BB10 will no longer be
    tested (at least not by KDAB) or supported.

In practice, if the build breaks, or something is not working, as Bo said, we
    (KDAB) won't fix it. That of course does not prevent interested third parties
    from keeping things going forward for BB10.

I hope this answers your questions regarding which kind of problem it solves.

If anyone think it is worth it volunteering to look after the BB10 side of
    things, as a BB10 user myself I would be more than happy to provide
    assistance.

Cheers,
    Rafael
    [Development] Marking BB10 unsupported

Qt needs to be changed for both streams QNX and BlackBerry 10. Qt developers no longer support fixes for BlackBerry 10 and don't test it anymore since BlackBerry has told Qt developers that they won't support Qt5 on BlackBerry 10. They will support it for QNX which is different.

If the developers of Qt are not doing anything for BlackBerry 10 but are for QNX, what does that tell you?
    eyesopen1111 and flyingsolid like this.
    08-18-15 08:34 AM
    This guy ^ looks like he knows what he is talking about to me.

Posted via CB10
    Actually he doesn't. To say that 10.3.3 is going to be a replica of 10.3.2 running on Qt5 is a joke of a comment. Qt 5 is a framework for developing application on a platform, not a platform itself.

Considering that the developers of Qt are not working on BlackBerry 10, means that Blackberry 10 as a future OS is now a dead end platform. No new features will be coming in terms of Qt support.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-18-15 08:38 AM
    I confused @bluenoser @alejandro which one of you right?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    mania626 and southlander like this.
    08-18-15 08:39 AM

Want some popcorn to go with this?
    southlander, gvs1341 and sirius27 like this.
    08-18-15 08:43 AM
    Want some popcorn to go with this?
    Yes please!

08-18-15 08:44 AM
    Well one of them is,i guess is just a matter of time...now pass the popcorn please!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 08:47 AM

I post links to resources which back up my statements so you can check them yourself. These are links to BlackBerry and Qt sites. Alejandro Nova makes comments with no links or any attempt to. Since I provide information for you to check and see if you agree, who would you believe first?
    eyesopen1111 and Uzi like this.
    I would like bb10 if it was offered

Z10
    Well one of them is,i guess is just a matter of time...now pass the popcorn please!

Posted via CB10
    Any free seats?
    Would love to join and watch this soap with a bag of popcorn....

Posted via CB10
    mania626 likes this.
    08-18-15 08:55 AM
    It�s pretty obvious that @Bluenoser63 is right. Those who are resistant to the death of BB10 keep filling Crackberry with far-fetched BS about all kinds of non-sense like: (1) dual-booting hypervisors, (2) last-minute QT5 migrations, (3) vague Chen promises that �something big is coming,� etc.

The truth is, Chen has sent the hardware business (design and manufacture) to outside companies. He's told his developers to go to Android. He's admitted that BlackBerry is still losing money on handsets. And he rarely even mentions BB10 and is stripping elements out of the OS to save money. BB10 is dying or dead or zombie--all of which conditions I translate to, �Go buy another device.�

Thank goodness we have so much recent information that the new Slider will be running Android, so most of this nonsense will be put to rest.

I suspect that 10.3.3 will be the BB10 OS version that removes the Android runtime from BB10, thus making BlackBerry compliant with OHA restrictions since the Slider will be a standard Android device with Google Play Services. Castration of BB10!!! Snip snip!! Hahaha! This would also explain why BlackBerry would want to keep this OS version as secret as possible.
    southlander, KingOfQwerty and Uzi like this.
    08-18-15 09:20 AM
    I suspect that 10.3.3 will be the BB10 OS version that removes the Android runtime from BB10...
    Very doubtful this could be the case. The last 4 devices released were done touting their ability to purchase and run Android apps. If they were removing the Android runtime they would have known for a while and would not have been selling new devices using this feature to promote it. This ability did influence people to purchase.
    The lawsuits would be swift and many.

Posted via CB10
    mania626, Vistaus and LuvULongTime like this.
    08-18-15 09:42 AM
    Very doubtful this could be the case. The last 4 devices released were done touting their ability to purchase and run Android apps. If they were removing the Android runtime they would have known for a while and would not have been selling new devices using this feature to promote it. This ability did influence people to purchase.

Posted via CB10
    They did it with Flash. They also have a click though license that will protect them if they remove it. They also want to sell phones until the new stuff is in place so that is why they as so secretive about everything. They want to continue to sell products with little future until they can move to the new platform.
    Bbnivende and eyesopen1111 like this.
    08-18-15 09:49 AM
    On that one I'll have to disagree with you, what makes you think that BlackBerry will do that to their customers? That will be suicidal for them, I mean the backlash against BlackBerry will be unprecedented ,telling their customers to buy a product base under the assumption that they will be able to install android apps via amazon play store and them just removed the ability to do it after less than a year (passport users),no way.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 10:09 AM
    They did it with Flash.
    Not a good comparison.
    They continue to push the ability to purchase and run Android apps through the Amazon app store up to today. Totally remove it 2 months later? Think about that for a minute.
    In today's litigious world? There are laws that protect consumers from such.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    08-18-15 10:17 AM
    On that one I'll have to disagree with you, what makes you think that BlackBerry will do that to their customers? That will be suicidal for them, I mean the backlash against BlackBerry will be unprecedented ,telling their customers to buy a product base under the assumption that they will be able to install android apps via amazon play store and them just removed the ability to do it after less than a year (passport users),no way.

Posted via CB10
    And what will they tell all the people who bought BlackBerry 10 phones when they move to Android?
    08-18-15 10:19 AM
    And what will they tell all the people who bought BlackBerry 10 phones when they move to Android?
    If that's the case they will continue to support them period,no big deal there.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 10:51 AM
    If that's the case they will continue to support them period,no big deal there.

Posted via CB10
    Except if the Android app requires an Android run time greater than provided with the current BB10 phones.
    08-18-15 10:55 AM
    Same as older android phones that are no able to update to newer versions due to hardware limitations, again, your are trying too hard to bring down bb10 without any CONCRETE evidence, I'm sure it won't be as bad as you are trying to make it look like it is...you'll see.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-18-15 11:04 AM
    So, it looks like I'll have to bring some arguments.

I was entirely aware of those mails stating Qt for BlackBerry 10 EOL. My theory begins by reading the Qt for BlackBerry 10 dev documentation (precisely telling us what is Qt for BlackBerry 10) and looking at some source code to back up what I am saying.

This is the Qt 5 for BlackBerry 10 developer guide, describing how to bundle Qt 5 with an app. That was what is discontinued, according to those mails.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5.4/blackberry-support.html

Please, take a look at this. This is March, 2015, this is the native app 2GIS. Select developers already have taken steps to ease the porting, and this one is the most visible.

https://gitlab.com/2gisqtandroid/2gi...c5d9e7238cbc54

Wide vision, from Chile.
    mania626 likes this.
    08-18-15 11:54 AM
    Y Alejandro toma la delantera!! Lmao
    And Alejandro goes ahead by two points!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 11:57 AM
    Does anyone really think it is plausible that BlackBerry would do something to make its existing apps incompatible and require them to be recompiled? This seems to be a legitimately crazy idea.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 12:06 PM
    BTW, I'm lucky to have access to something as great as 2GIS. It's a full navigation suite paid entirely by advertising, present in Russia, Ukraine, Emirates, Italy, Kazakhstan, Czech Republic... and Santiago, Chile. It's a fantastic native app, and it fills a giant hole of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem for me. If you have access to it, by all means, install it!

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-18-15 12:08 PM
    So, it looks like I'll have to bring some arguments.

I was entirely aware of those mails stating Qt for BlackBerry 10 EOL. My theory begins by reading the Qt for BlackBerry 10 dev documentation (precisely telling us what is Qt for BlackBerry 10) and looking at some source code to back up what I am saying.

This is the Qt 5 for BlackBerry 10 developer guide, describing how to bundle Qt 5 with an app. That was what is discontinued, according to those mails.

Qt for BlackBerry 10 | Qt 5.4

Please, take a look at this. This is March, 2015, this is the native app 2GIS. Select developers already have taken steps to ease the porting, and this one is the most visible.

https://gitlab.com/2gisqtandroid/2gi...c5d9e7238cbc54

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Not quite. What we are talking is BlackBerry supporting Qt5. It does not. So as not to confuse others, what you posted is how to use Qt5 on a Blackberry 10 device outside of the BlackBerry 10 development tools. So no tools provided by BlackBerry can be used.

from Qt 5 on BlackBerry 10 | Qt 5.4

Note: The overlay packages are not a part of the official NDK distributions by BlackBerry, but as an add-on provided by the Qt Project. Be aware that you cannot mix Qt 5 code with Cascades application framework APIs based on Qt 4.8. The Momentics IDE currently does not support Qt 5 development.

So you have to throw away all the tools, code, documentation and samples from BlackBerry and use third party tools and write pure Qt based applications for BlackBerry 10.

Thanks for proving my case that BlackBerry has decided that BlackBerry 10 Qt/Cascades/native programming is a dead end.

Oh. And the link you posted for 2GIS was three years ago. How about keeping up to date?
    08-18-15 12:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    The sold PlayBook's towards the end on the basis that they were getting BB10. Show me the lawsuits.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 12:39 PM
283 ... 678910 ...