GPS is working fine I can tell you so how can you say it's without GPS?
    Didn't say it didn't work, I said its not officially supported. Same as some Android apps are unavailable in BBW, despite functioning properly.

But whatever...

!
    08-17-15 07:41 PM
    Nice withdrawal on your comments. Thanks for confirming that you actually don't have any tiny bit of proof.
    Oh man I hope you could understand how the BlackBerry is giving info to elites. The don't give them whole presentations and documents. They mainly do webex or BBM meetings presentations (mainly we be by the way). If you want : pin:2B9BE1AB so I can be more specific.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 07:42 PM
    If that is the case, you can do that now without BlackBerry making an Android phone. Why buy a more expensive phone in BlackBerry than just picking something else?
    Wouldn't it be more in BlackBerry's favor to make their own Android phone considering hardware sales are down, and JC is looking to increase the revenue stream? That way, if successful, profit from hardware, software, and BES 12. Although I'm sure JC can "secure" Android today via BES 12 the return on investment wouldn't be as high to BlackBerry.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    08-17-15 07:47 PM
    Wouldn't it be more in BlackBerry's favor to make their own Android phone considering hardware sales are down, and JC is looking to increase the revenue stream? That way, if successful, profit from hardware, software, and BES 12. Although I'm sure JC can "secure" Android today via BES 12 the return on investment wouldn't be as high to BlackBerry.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    Problem is that the ONLY Android OEM making money is Samsung and the profits for the phone division are dropping like rocks. No other Android OEM is making any money at it, what makes you think that BlackBerry can?
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    08-17-15 08:41 PM
    Problem is that the ONLY Android OEM making money is Samsung and the profits for the phone division are dropping like rocks. No other Android OEM is making any money at it, what makes you think that BlackBerry can?
    The problem is BlackBerry really isn't making money on handsets period. I'd rather they at least give it a shot then completely drop out of the handset game no?

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-17-15 08:44 PM
    The problem is BlackBerry really isn't making money on handsets period. I'd rather they at least give it a shot then completely drop out of the handset game no?

Posted via CB10
    How will BlackBerry make money with Android when they can't even make their own devices, when those who make the device like HTC are not making money? BlackBerry is actually doing better than HTC with one of BlackBerry's worst product offerings ever. They will have zero differentiation of value with Android and will have to compete on specs and price. The PKB isn't a major selling point. The OS will be just like everyone else's. Will they pick up more people than they lose?

Posted via Z30
    08-17-15 09:20 PM
    No other Android OEM is making money? Xiaomi and Huawei. Yes, granted these are, at this moment, exclusive to Asia (mainly China), but they are still making money. Yes, the profits are slim when compared to Apple and Samsung, but they are still in the black. So no, Sammy is not the only Android OEM making money.

Can BlackBerry make money off Android? Yes. Do I think BlackBerry will make money of Android? No.

Madhuchandran likes this.
    08-17-15 09:26 PM
    How will BlackBerry make money with Android when they can't even make their own devices, when those who make the device like HTC are not making money? BlackBerry is actually doing better than HTC with one of BlackBerry's worst product offerings ever. They will have zero differentiation of value with Android and will have to compete on specs and price. The PKB isn't a major selling point. The OS will be just like everyone else's. Will they pick up more people than they lose?

Posted via Z30
    The physical keyboard is a big selling point for me, and many former treo, Pre, pocket PC users, just sayin'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-17-15 10:25 PM
    At this point I really don't care what os is running just release it already lol
    Can't wait

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    08-17-15 10:29 PM

Posted via Z30
    i agree with the pkb - not a major selling point to anybody outside of CB, literally. lots of us won't even consider the slider if it runs android. and you're right about "zero differentiation of value with Android". To put it in NFL terms, as the preseason just started, this slider is BlackBerry's Hail Mary in the [Android] handset business. What are the chances?
    08-17-15 11:23 PM
    At this point I really don't care what os is running just release it already lol
    Can't wait

i say release the thing now if it's android. wait to perfect it if it runs BB10 (like make a doubletypeless keyboard).
    08-17-15 11:24 PM
    No other Android OEM is making money? Xiaomi and Huawei. Yes, granted these are, at this moment, exclusive to Asia (mainly China), but they are still making money. Yes, the profits are slim when compared to Apple and Samsung, but they are still in the black. So no, Sammy is not the only Android OEM making money.

Can BlackBerry make money off Android? Yes. Do I think BlackBerry will make money of Android? No.

Huawei is also available here in The Netherlands and I see a lot people carrying a Huawei handset. So it's not exclusive to Asia.
    nuff_said likes this.
    08-18-15 12:57 AM
    Just got full confirmation, the slider WILL be 100% for sure android and no BB10 version planned as of now. And it will be pure vanilla android with bb10 features. GPS as well but I will be able to confirm GPS tmr. Believe me or not but my sources are VERY high up and they have yet to be wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is it. Its real. And I am excited. Part of me is sad as I do love BB10 for its strength BUT I would rather have a blackberry handset rather than no backberry handset at all.
    Just go ahead and install BlackBerry apps on any chinese Android slab like Huawei or Xiaomi and you have your BlackBerry device for almost nothing. Slider is outsourced design as well so it's all far from being a BlackBerry device.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-18-15 01:37 AM
    Just got full confirmation, the slider WILL be 100% for sure android and no BB10 version planned as of now. And it will be pure vanilla android with bb10 features. GPS as well but I will be able to confirm GPS tmr. Believe me or not but my sources are VERY high up and they have yet to be wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is it. Its real. And I am excited. Part of me is sad as I do love BB10 for its strength BUT I would rather have a blackberry handset rather than no backberry handset at all.
    Can you ask your highly trustable source what will happen with current passport devices in terms of updates?
    I do not need a paperweight

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 02:14 AM
    Can't wait

Agree!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 02:18 AM
    OK. Show me anywhere that has a road map of future development/features for the BlackBerry 10 OS. They have told developers to develop for other platforms and they stopped working with Qt on BlackBerry 10. Qt is needed for functioning of the BlackBerry 10 phone. They have stopped posting blog entries for native development programming.
    They are working on 10.3.3 aren't they? I don't think this is just a maintenance release. Just because they stopped posting about it doesn't make it EOL. They have told developers to develop for ANDROID, not all other platforms. Maybe what they are working on is such a big deal, that they don't want to give it away just yet. I still think you are jumping the gun.
    RubenDM, gvs1341 and Vistaus like this.
    08-18-15 03:05 AM
    Exactly! I can understand that radio silence can drive people into thinking it's EOL, but unless someone from BB confirms that, it's all but EOL. At least they confirmed that one bug got fixed in 10.3.3 so whatever 10.3.3 is (major or small update), it exists.
    08-18-15 05:30 AM
    Huawei is also available here in The Netherlands and I see a lot people carrying a Huawei handset. So it's not exclusive to Asia.
    Didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

Vistaus likes this.
    08-18-15 05:42 AM
    The physical keyboard is a big selling point for me, and many former treo, Pre, pocket PC users, just sayin'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I was a former Treo and BlackBerry PKB users. The Z line converted me. Never going back. A it wont be enough of a selling point to make BlackBerry Android profitable IMHO.

Posted via Z30
    08-18-15 05:47 AM
    Just go ahead and install BlackBerry apps on any chinese Android slab like Huawei or Xiaomi and you have your BlackBerry device for almost nothing. Slider is outsourced design as well so it's all far from being a BlackBerry device.
    Yeah the security conscious customers would love that. It would tank BlackBerry sales to all free governments worldwide.

Posted via Z30
    08-18-15 05:49 AM

All the Android OEMs are in a race to the bottom to sell phones. You have to be careful when looking at margins for a company. You need to take out just he mobile phone division and not include other revenue to calculate profit margins. These companies make money on things other than cell phones (software and services) so you have to be very careful in making statements about profit margins on Android.
    08-18-15 05:59 AM
    (S)he describes the os as bb10 gestures gone. If they take away the essence of BB10, i'll just look at an android that's being built buy a company that knows them.
    I hope this is just rumor...

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 06:01 AM
    They are working on 10.3.3 aren't they? I don't think this is just a maintenance release. Just because they stopped posting about it doesn't make it EOL. They have told developers to develop for ANDROID, not all other platforms. Maybe what they are working on is such a big deal, that they don't want to give it away just yet. I still think you are jumping the gun.
    10.3.3 is a bug fix/hardware release with no new features. Features are driven by new APIs. If those new features are to used by developers, they have to be released so developers can test and update their apps.

Chen's problem is that he has never ran a company that is dependent on 3rd party developers to actually extend the platform that his companies provides. What they actually told developers is to target other platforms supported by BES 12. Can you imagine Google or Apple telling their app developers to target other platforms. This is how much faith that Chen and BlackBerry have in BlackBerry 10.

If it is such a big deal, it will fail unless app developers have time to write and test apps for this platform. All indications from app developers (I am one) is that since BlackBerry isn't releasing anything to them, that the only thing that they can be testing is Android. This means that they don't have to provide any resources/information/documentation to app developers as Google has already done this.
    RigoMonster and eyesopen1111 like this.
    08-18-15 06:16 AM
    It is pretty obvious that you don't know what you are talking about there is no port. BlackBerry 10 OS is just that the OS.
    It's pretty obvious that you don't know what an OS is. Look at the KDE Qt4 to Qt5 migration for a quick example of a huge migration: everything was replaced, there was a KDE4Support library to aid with the porting, and there is a new API and SDK (KDE Frameworks 5). I expect the same to happen with BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry 10 is not a kernel. QNX is a kernel. There isn't a "Qt for KDE", there is Qt for Linux. So, "Qt 5 for BlackBerry 10" is a way to run Qt 5 apps alongside BlackBerry 10 and without replacing system libraries. If you want to rebuild the whole thing, you need the same thing you began with: Qt for QNX.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    mania626 and Vistaus like this.
    08-18-15 07:50 AM
    10.3.3 is a bug fix/hardware release with no new features. Features are driven by new APIs. If those new features are to used by developers, they have to be released so developers can test and update their apps.

:doom_and_gloom: /snip
    I predict something even stranger for 10.3.3: it won't have any feature over 10.3.2. It's going to be a perfect replica of BlackBerry 10.3.2, save for the fact it will be running on Qt 5. That's after all how all huge Qt4 to Qt5 migrations were done.

KDE did it in a 2 year term with 25 full time developers and 200 contributors. I can assure you that QNX has more resources than KDE.

As for the API, elite devs already have it, but they are gagged by NDA

Wide vision, from Chile.
    08-18-15 08:09 AM
283 ... 56789 ...