Umm what is it then? So you get to set the definition? Like it or not thats what it is now. Either adopt, stay with current device or jump ship, up to you. As for me, I will be picking up the slider
    Well you can be sure that if BlackBerry goes Android. Me and our enterprise that uses BlackBerry devices will stop buying from BlackBerry. Android isn't enterprise ready.

BlackBerry better do a lot of advertising that they are now Android because once people see the BlackBerry name, they won't think Android. Considering that they never advertised BlackBerry 10 properly means that carriers and customers won't be getting anymore access than they are now.
    08-16-15 09:52 PM
    Why would the Department of Defense and high-security customers purchase BB10 when BlackBerry has EOLed the OS development?
    Good question. I was flying into Washington, DC, and happened to be sitting next to an attractive woman holding a Q10. Eager to kick game and meet a fellow BlackBerry owner, I opened her with a question about how she liked her Q10. Turns out, she worked in the Pentagon. In the course of asking her about the phone, she told me that they can barely put ANYTHING on the phone, app-wise, only approved software and Candy Crush.

I�m kidding about Candy Crush, of course.

I assume that customers like that, who are more concerned with passing onerous security certifications than they are with third-party app or OS development, could be fine with ditching Android runtime, if they haven�t already. This would also let Chen avoid saying that BB10 is dead while continuing to service long-time customers.

Just an idea, I�m not an insider.
    08-16-15 10:23 PM
    Just got full confirmation, the slider WILL be 100% for sure android and no BB10 version planned as of now. And it will be pure vanilla android with bb10 features. GPS as well but I will be able to confirm GPS tmr. Believe me or not but my sources are VERY high up and they have yet to be wrong. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is it. Its real. And I am excited. Part of me is sad as I do love BB10 for its strength BUT I would rather have a blackberry handset rather than no backberry handset at all.
    WoO-hoo.. Time to retire my note 4..you will be missed ol' buddy. Looking forward to this slider. I really hope this device sells well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    08-17-15 12:23 AM
    Why would the Department of Defense and high-security customers purchase BB10 when BlackBerry has EOLed the OS development?
    It hasn't been announced EOL has it? Now I think you are jumping to conclusions

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-17-15 12:30 AM
    No, I don't know what I'm talking about, unfortunately. I'm just trying to fathom BlackBerry changing to Android and it seems mostly insane to do such a thing. So...the next plausible reason "everyone" has seen BB phones with Android is because there ARE phones out there, but they are for research purposes. I know I've always preferred to have total control of my hardware if I need to test software. So...this is more of a really strong hope on my part.
    Android is a horrible OS and a terrible data-mining tool. I won't be buying any device running Android. Ever.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this ^^^

sirius27 likes this.
    08-17-15 12:33 AM
    Good question. I was flying into Washington, DC, and happened to be sitting next to an attractive woman holding a Q10. Eager to kick game and meet a fellow BlackBerry owner, I opened her with a question about how she liked her Q10. Turns out, she worked in the Pentagon. In the course of asking her about the phone, she told me that they can barely put ANYTHING on the phone, app-wise, only approved software and Candy Crush.

I’m kidding about Candy Crush, of course.

I assume that customers like that, who are more concerned with passing onerous security certifications than they are with third-party app or OS development, could be fine with ditching Android runtime, if they haven’t already. This would also let Chen avoid saying that BB10 is dead while continuing to service long-time customers.

Just an idea, I’m not an insider.
    A well thought. By your logic it seems the top-security-concious customers (read DoD, G7, bla bla Gov agencies) and the enterprises like the guy above you will stick to pure vanilla BB10. No App. No Android Crap. Add some prosumers and a very very little consumers too in the mix.
    ALL the rest, be it is an enterprise which relies on App, prosumer, consumer, boyfriend, mom, will buy BlackBerry device running full throttle Android with GPS, just attracted towards the material design of BlackBerry.
    So what will happen to the ART from Z10 to Passpert SE. Delete it with an update and face legal suits. Don't update and leave them and make them as an island. Or force an update on them to either pure BB10 or Android. Is it even possible?
    So how many OS versions are out there (don't forget legacy also) for 0.5% market share?
    AND nothing solves BlackBerry's marketing mystery.
    08-17-15 01:20 AM
    Okay the plain vanilla part threw me off. I was really hoping for a heavy skin, not just the features alone.

Posted via CB10
    Hardware is pretty much final. Software - feature set and is being tweaked as there is time till IIFA in Berlin. This is brilliant IMO. The one phone line with no lag problems happen to be the nexus line no? I would rather have a phone that is as smooth as a BB10 device, even if it doesn't 100% look like a BB10 copy UI wise. Does that mean they wont go all skin heavy? Anything can happen between now and release. However I do hope they prioritize performance.

My sources have personal experience with using android devices and when I point blank asked how the slider fares compared to the android flagship line up? Response was, that its coming along VERY well. With a nexus like cleanliness expect a lag free experience (at the very basic level). Something than even Samsung can't seem to do with their Flagships no matter how many GB of ram they include in their phones

Also, I meant vanilla as a base, I have NO knowledge about how they secured their android build, but if ANYONE can secure android its BlackBerry. They will be adding features that add value to the experience and feature sets that lend itself to translating well in an android environment.

Does it include the BlackBerry Experience Suite?
    Hmm I am not familiar with all the components of the Exp Suite but I do know the following
    - Not all gestures will transfer over - no peek and flow as of yet
    - Hub accessed as left most screen
    - aside from HUB I am not sure what else is transferring over because frankly I forgot to ask LOL

Well you can be sure that if BlackBerry goes Android. Me and our enterprise that uses BlackBerry devices will stop buying from BlackBerry. Android isn't enterprise ready.

BlackBerry better do a lot of advertising that they are now Android because once people see the BlackBerry name, they won't think Android. Considering that they never advertised BlackBerry 10 properly means that carriers and customers won't be getting anymore access than they are now.
    That's a shame. You will be putting them in a worse situation. From talking to numerous employees, their morale isn't exactly high. They can plainly see where the market is shifting. No mass market appeal and everyone is flocking to iOS or Android. Even they understand that BB10 has sort of reached a peak no matter how much they advertise. No amount of advertising can overcome many generations of negative pre-conceptions. That is the sad reality. So I would have some faith in what they have planned. They will not release an android phone willy nilly, they should have enterprise perks, no? Common sense If anything this is a BLESSING for google as Blackberry can show the rest of the OEMs how to make a secure that is ready for enterprise deployment,

WoO-hoo.. Time to retire my note 4..you will be missed ol' buddy. Looking forward to this slider. I really hope this device sells well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Same here. Was ready to jump ship to the Note 5 till they dropped the ball with no micro SD. The Slider will have removable SD card so thats a bonus for me. If I am gonna go android, I might as well go BlackBerry. Lesser of two evils I will keep my current Z30 as secondary device and to keep it as a token. I had a good 2 years with it and it is still going strong. I don't want to let it go honestly My favourite phone after the 9900.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-17-15 02:05 AM
    And what new version of BB10 are they using? Oh right, they are using just the current version. So new hardware with existing OS.
    Version which has been released in about 2 countries..
    08-17-15 03:37 AM
    Chen is probably sitting at home reviewing threads like these online and laughing his arse off.

In a month or so he'll put us all out of our misery, with the truth!
    08-17-15 04:12 AM
    To the people wondering about the OHA agreement, please respond to my question: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11859903

Even the upcoming Jolla tablet has Android support and it won best tablet award at MWC 2015 so Google couldn't have missed that. Yet they haven't done anything to sue Jolla.
    08-17-15 05:16 AM
    Version which has been released in about 2 countries..
    Exactly! My mum still hasn't received 10.3.2 on her *unlocked* Passport here in Europe...
    08-17-15 05:17 AM
    To the people wondering about the OHA agreement, please respond to my question: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11859903

Even the upcoming Jolla tablet has Android support and it won best tablet award at MWC 2015 so Google couldn't have missed that. Yet they haven't done anything to sue Jolla.
    Google Play Services are not officially supported by Jolla. There is android app compatible but without GPS. Its no different than BB10.

!
    08-17-15 06:56 AM
    It hasn't been announced EOL has it? Now I think you are jumping to conclusions

OK. Show me anywhere that has a road map of future development/features for the BlackBerry 10 OS. They have told developers to develop for other platforms and they stopped working with Qt on BlackBerry 10. Qt is needed for functioning of the BlackBerry 10 phone. They have stopped posting blog entries for native development programming.
    08-17-15 06:58 AM
    Isn't it the responsability for a company to support devices for at least 2y?
    Or am i wrong

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 07:00 AM
    Also, I meant vanilla as a base, I have NO knowledge about how they secured their android build, but if ANYONE can secure android its BlackBerry. They will be adding features that add value to the experience and feature sets that lend itself to translating well in an android environment.

That's a shame. You will be putting them in a worse situation. From talking to numerous employees, their morale isn't exactly high. They can plainly see where the market is shifting. No mass market appeal and everyone is flocking to iOS or Android. Even they understand that BB10 has sort of reached a peak no matter how much they advertise. No amount of advertising can overcome many generations of negative pre-conceptions. That is the sad reality. So I would have some faith in what they have planned. They will not release an android phone willy nilly, they should have enterprise perks, no? Common sense If anything this is a BLESSING for google as Blackberry can show the rest of the OEMs how to make a secure that is ready for enterprise deployment,
    BlackBerry cannot secure Android unless they rewrite the kernel. You can be rest assured that when BES 12 interacts with a BlackDroid, it will check to see if the phone is rooted. Once you can root a BlackDroid phone, it will be all over in terms of security for BlackBerry. They will have no reputation left. Management has no vision for this company.
    08-17-15 07:07 AM
    BlackBerry cannot secure Android unless they rewrite the kernel. You can be rest assured that when BES 12 interacts with a BlackDroid, it will check to see if the phone is rooted. Once you can root a BlackDroid phone, it will be all over in terms of security for BlackBerry. They will have no reputation left. Management has no vision for this company.
    I think BlackBerry will sell this as Android is sufficiently secure but BB10 is the most secure.

Android security is as good as the manufacturer wants it to be.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd and elfabio80 like this.
    08-17-15 07:29 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is dead. The developer road map has hit a dead end. Developers have been told to develop for Android instead. I would be shocked if BlackBerry released another device running BB10. John Chen has succeeded in killing the OS. And soon he will succeed in killing the entire HW business. Then he can rejoice and be proud of a job well done.
    Dude don't say whatever is on your mind ! Developer elites have already the 10.3.3 SDK and API roadmap.
    08-17-15 07:51 AM
    Read a couple of articles this morning suggesting that the 'Slider' will be offered both in BB10 and Android flavours.

This is of course pure speculation, but I suppose that could be a possibility.
    08-17-15 07:53 AM
    Dude don't say whatever is on your mind ! Developer elites have already the 10.3.3 SDK and API roadmap.
    Where Did you find that info?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:40 AM
    Where Did you find that info?

Posted via CB10
    Yes please,where did you find that info?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:45 AM
    Yes please,where did you find that info?

Posted via CB10
    It's hidden behind three little letters.
    N
    D
    A
    08-17-15 09:00 AM
    N
    D
    A
    You got me.
    Roadmaps shouldn't be bidden, aren't they?
    Correct me if i'm wrong

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 09:13 AM
    N
    D
    A
    I really hope your right,why wouldn't you be? ,quote from BlackBerry itself:
    We�re already working on the follow-up update, BlackBerry 10.3.3 and will keep you posted over the coming months.
    No reason to publicly come out with that statement if is not true,we are just a little frustrated with the lack of info that's all.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 09:24 AM
    Google Play Services are not officially supported by Jolla. There is android app compatible but without GPS. Its no different than BB10.

!
    GPS is working fine I can tell you so how can you say it's without GPS?
    08-17-15 09:28 AM
    I hope it's true. I will gladly come back here and eat my words with a big smile on my face.

Do you know if there will be a 10.4?
    mania626 likes this.
    08-17-15 10:08 AM
283 ... 34567 ...