I've read numerous threads of problems with sd cards and I realize that sometimes it can't be avoided (manufacturer defects etc..) but I was hoping to get a recommendation for a decent card for when I get my Priv. CB has the SanDisk Ultra Micro SD XC 64 GB class 10 on clearance for $39.95. Is that a good choice? Realizing of course this is a CB forum. Any input is appreciated

Posted via CB10
    11-26-16 12:31 PM
    I have never had any other card besides a SanDisk....no issues. My current one is a 200GB
    11-26-16 02:25 PM
    I've read numerous threads of problems with sd cards and I realize that sometimes it can't be avoided (manufacturer defects etc..) but I was hoping to get a recommendation for a decent card for when I get my Priv. CB has the SanDisk Ultra Micro SD XC 64 GB class 10 on clearance for $39.95. Is that a good choice? Realizing of course this is a CB forum. Any input is appreciated

Posted via CB10
    Most of the issues with SD cards are related with how the SD card was formatted, so always install the card and Format it from the device.

* Warning * Formatting anything (SD cards, HDD, Disc, etc.) will erase the whole data on it. So do it when it's new and has nothing on it, if you have one used please back up the content and then execute the format tool.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-26-16 02:56 PM
    Most of the issues with SD cards are related with how the SD card was formatted, so always install the card and Format it from the device.

* Warning * Formatting anything (SD cards, HDD, Disc, etc.) will erase the whole data on it. So do it when it's new and has nothing on it, if you have one used please back up the content and then execute the format tool.
    Thank you, that's very useful info.
    Do most of these SD cards come with adapters to fit into a PC?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-16 03:15 PM
    What seems to be the main problem is not the card itself, but learning how android handles SD cards compared to BB10. Particularly the idiotic requirement to install an additional driver (exFAT) for a card larger than 64 GB in order for android to recognize the card. Personally I would avoid a 64 GB card for that exact reason. Either go bigger or smaller, so at least you will have a better idea what you are dealing with if you run into any issues.
    Last edited by kputock; 11-26-16 at 04:18 PM.
    11-26-16 04:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Many pc's don't have card readers. I have a reader and some little usb contraption that did come with one a few years ago. Many do come with adapters to make them full sd-card size but you still need a reader that accommodates that card size.

On the other hand my laptop does read full size sd-cards but, again you need that adapter which might come with micro sd cards.
    11-26-16 04:55 PM
    What seems to be the main problem is not the card itself, but learning how android handles SD cards compared to BB10. Particularly the idiotic requirement to install an additional driver (exFAT) for a card larger than 64 GB in order for android to recognize the card. Personally I would avoid a 64 GB card for that exact reason. Either go bigger or smaller, so at least you will have a better idea what you are dealing with if you run into any issues.
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. Is it safer to get a card smaller than 64GB because I won't have to download a driver? Are there drivers known to cause issues?

Also, if I go larger than 64 GB, won't I still require a driver download? How would it be better to go larger than 64 GB if that's the case?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-16 07:19 PM
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. Is it safer to get a card smaller than 64GB because I won't have to download a driver? Are there drivers known to cause issues?

Also, if I go larger than 64 GB, won't I still require a driver download? How would it be better to go larger than 64 GB if that's the case?

Posted via CB10
    Speaking from personal experience...the first SD card I used on Priv was a 32GB. No issues, but learning how to format, encrypt, etc. I found to be quite different from BB10. For example, you cannot simply encrypt and unencrypt a card like you can in BB10, and keep your data. Format as 'internal' is androidspeak for encrypted. Encrypted card needs to be reformatted (erased) to unencrypt, and vice versa. Data on encrypted card needs to be 'migrated' to make the system 'see' it as an external card. And a bunch of other annoyances. Next one was 64GB. Could not get it to work properly, driver or no driver. System would inexplicably 'forget' the card and I would have to start over. Thought it might be the speed, an issue with the card itself...but it worked fine on a PC or in a camera. Next I got a 128GB card...not recognized by the system initially, but once exFAT driver is installed (needed for cards larger than 64GB) works fine and no issues since. So in other words the SD card experience in the android universe is somewhat less than ideal so in my view at least, it helps to minimize any potential complications. Especially coming from BB10. Just my two cents.
    11-26-16 07:36 PM
    SanDisk seems to be the most reliable manufacturer but I've heard of there being fake ones coming from China.
    11-26-16 10:56 PM
    I've used numerous cards and had all kinds of problems. I am currently running a San Disc Extreme Plus 128GB Class 10 but I'm running the U3 speed not the U1 speed. This is the only card I have been able to reliably use in my Priv so far. The slower write speed cards kept getting corrupted. I do use it in portable mode. They claim the micro sd is hot swap able but I would highly discourage this. From my experience I would recommend that you first load the ex fat driver on your phone from the play store, then format the card to ex fat with 128kb partition allocation on your computer, then put it in your phone as portable storage and do not remove it from the phone and put it back in and expect it to continue to work without issues. This is what is working for me after months of trouble and issues.
    11-27-16 01:02 AM
    I've used numerous cards and had all kinds of problems. I am currently running a San Disc Extreme Plus 128GB Class 10 but I'm running the U3 speed not the U1 speed. This is the only card I have been able to reliably use in my Priv so far. The slower write speed cards kept getting corrupted. I do use it in portable mode. They claim the micro sd is hot swap able but I would highly discourage this. From my experience I would recommend that you first load the ex fat driver on your phone from the play store, then format the card to ex fat with 128kb partition allocation on your computer, then put it in your phone as portable storage and do not remove it from the phone and put it back in and expect it to continue to work without issues. This is what is working for me after months of trouble and issues.
    Wow! I've been using the same 2GB cheapo memory card since my BlackBerry 8830 World Edition and have just inserted that card into every other device I've had since, without any issues. I was hoping to just buy a bigger memory card, insert it into the phone and forget about it. So happy things are getting more 'convenient'. Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-27-16 08:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    The short answer is no.

The long answer could be maybe, that's because the common card reader in a PC is the SD, some computers don't even have that option (like the New MacBook Pro), so if you buy a MicroSD card and it comes with a MicroSD to SD adapter will only work if you have a SD reader in your computer, I honeslty recommend to buy one with a MicroSD to USB adapter because almost all the computers have at least one USB port (Again, not the new MacBook Pro).
    11-27-16 01:36 PM
    The short answer is no.

The long answer could be maybe, that's because the common card reader in a PC is the SD, some computers don't even have that option (like the New MacBook Pro), so if you buy a MicroSD card and it comes with a MicroSD to SD adapter will only work if you have a SD reader in your computer, I honeslty recommend to buy one with a MicroSD to USB adapter because almost all the computers have at least one USB port (Again, not the new MacBook Pro).
    Sheesh, Apple does not expect anyone to share or move data around? Or do they have some proprietary card/stick which fits no other device known to mankind?
    fmb8 likes this.
    11-27-16 03:03 PM
    Just for information purposes, I found this great video from android authority explaining, in great detail, sd cards and how they work. He also explains why some cards may not work and what you might be able to do to get the card working on your device.
    11-27-16 05:21 PM
    I'm currently using a 64G SanDisk I bought new with the phone, installed the driver from the PlayStore, put it in the phone and formatted it, no issues . The same card was in the phone when it got water dunked several months ago and I expected problems but none have surfaced. 32+G of mixed media and documents so far.
    11-27-16 10:07 PM
    Sheesh, Apple does not expect anyone to share or move data around? Or do they have some proprietary card/stick which fits no other device known to mankind?
    I think they are expecting everybody to use Thunderbolt adapters.

I don't know actually why, they get rid of the SD reader, not many devices can share the files from it, like a Point and shoot camera neither some DSLR cameras, but that's how they are.
    11-28-16 01:13 PM
    Bought a Sandisk Ultra 64gb in the summer and it wiped my pics and videos. Luckily I had everything backed up. I then formatted the card and and copied my pics and videos onto the card, then last night the card doesn't even appear on my file manager! No pics and no videos! Wtf.

I'm done with this card...any suggestions for a z30??

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 11:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Using that one as well and so far I'm not having problems with it. Can even record in 4K.
    12-02-16 01:19 PM