I know I already mentioned this in a separate thread of mine but it wasn't relevant to the title. Wanted to make a new thread on this because it needs to be said!

I've seen many reviews on youtube that talked about how the Priv's keyboard is mushy and doesn't press that well compared to the soon to be legendary Blackberry 10 phones like the Classic and Passport.

I picked up a STV100-3 (Rogers) Priv that had a date of November 2015 and indeed, the keyboard did feel quite soft - by no means bad but it didn't have that definite click you got with the Classic.

Well I recently got a STV100-1 model (amazon) and it's date was April 2016 and the keyboard is totally different - clicky keyboard and I honestly don't feel it to be much different from the Blackberry 10 phones aside from the dimensions being smaller, but the physical press of the keyboard is WAY nicer than the STV100-3 version.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-17-16 08:35 PM
    Were they built in the country?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-17-16 08:43 PM
    Which country? they were definitely built in some country.
    I'm surprised they were being built as late as April. Lends credence to the theory that the date is a boxed date rather than built.
    The build # is on the box, I doubt they are unboxing them to install latest build, then reboxing and relabeling.

Non of the above rules out a keyboard change. And if they are selling better than we think, they could be building them again. Reckon we'll never know.

BTW - mines November, with soft keys. They work pretty good though, clicky would be WAY better.
    07-18-16 09:38 AM
    My vzw priv I got in March has a click keyboard. I don't have anything else to compare it to but I really never saw what everyone was complaining about

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    07-18-16 09:46 AM
    I'm pretty sure they built more than a single batch, if they were doing inventory control they probably built a little bit at a time.

I realize the box date may not be indicative of when the Priv was built.

The difference in the build between older and newer boxes is notable though, and it's been like that with other phones like the Classic and Q10.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    07-18-16 11:12 AM
    Mine was very mushy at start, but it seems to have gotten better. It's still nowhere near other blackberries.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-18-16 11:20 AM
    I realize the box date may not be indicative of when the Priv was built.
    Even if t's not build date, I would assume BB, and (forgot who built it, drawing a complete blank) uses FIFO. So It's still pretty indicative of when built along a time line. And perfectly valid for comparing to other Priv's.
    07-18-16 02:16 PM
    Even if t's not build date, I would assume BB, and (forgot who built it, drawing a complete blank) uses FIFO. So It's still pretty indicative of when built along a time line. And perfectly valid for comparing to other Priv's.
    Winstron I believe, since it was made in Mexico. The Classic was done by Foxconn.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    07-18-16 03:12 PM
    Winstron I believe, since it was made in Mexico. The Classic was done by Foxconn.
    Yeah, it was Winstron, but all I could think of was Foxconn, and I knew that was wrong.
    Foxconn does have a couple facilities in Mexico, at least one makes mobile phones.
    07-18-16 04:20 PM
    I got the El Cheapo AT&T one on ebay for 299. Build date on the box was May of 2016. It doesn't have the travel of my other PKB BlackBerry phones but it does click. I like it. I'm fact if it had a little more travel I'd call it better than the Passport because it is small enough to attack with one hand / thumb.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-18-16 05:21 PM
    Wait a minute - weren't we just complaining about clicky keyboards a couple months ago?
    Reckon they just got the click in the wrong place on the first coupla batches?

BTW - I'm jealous, mine are soft.
    07-18-16 06:19 PM