I was in a week-long series of all-day meetings last week at work in Pennsylvania (USA). We had associates visiting from around the globe. I had 3-4 conversations about my phone as people were surprised to see a BlackBerry in a sea of iPhones (company issued).

The surprise was NOT the same old "Oh my God, why do you still use a BlackBerry?"

It was more
    "Wow, I didn't know BlackBerry still made phones. That is actually pretty cool."

I thought it was interesting. They took my phone and held it. All of them. We talked about the KeyOne and I gave them a quick 30 seconds on the Motion. The 3-4 people I talked to separately were genuinely interested.

Do I think they will all run out and buy a BlackBerry? No. Do I think they are aware of BlackBerry's current offering of phones? Definitely.

I think this is interesting and encouraging. Has anyone had a similar experience?
    10-28-17 09:05 AM
    I was in a week-long series of all-day meetings last week at work in Pennsylvania (USA). We had associates visiting from around the globe. I had 3-4 conversations about my phone as people were surprised to see a BlackBerry in a sea of iPhones (company issued).

The surprise was NOT the same old "Oh my God, why do you still use a BlackBerry?"

It was more
    "Wow, I didn't know BlackBerry still made phones. That is actually pretty cool."

I thought it was interesting. They took my phone and held it. All of them. We talked about the KeyOne and I gave them a quick 30 seconds on the Motion. The 3-4 people I talked to separately were genuinely interested.

Do I think they will all run out and buy a BlackBerry? No. Do I think they are aware of BlackBerry's current offering of phones? Definitely.

I think this is interesting and encouraging. Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Yes. Many such instances. In the first place, these phones aren't so easily accessible. However, people think it's risky to buy a BlackBerry, these days.
    10-28-17 09:18 AM
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Yes... frequently.

Bob
    10-28-17 09:21 AM

It was more

Yes. Have that same experience almost weekly.

Love having those conversations
    10-28-17 09:33 AM
    Oh yeah, the Priv does draw people. Most people are impressed with the Priv's form factor and software. in the end the herd mentality win out. they can't let go of their iPhones or Samsung phones. heck...i could not even give away my Dtek 60 for free to a relative. turned it down...sticking with the iPhone.
    zruiyin likes this.
    10-28-17 10:11 AM
    Just had the same kind of reaction a few days ago. We are having our basement remodeled. The supervisor saw me looking things up and then slide up the keyboard to type. He said, "man I miss having a keyboard! What is that phone?"

Marketing sure would have helped the Priv when it was released.
    Qorax likes this.
    10-28-17 10:48 AM
    One day, a reseller wanted to show me how his phone is good (testoteron thing i think) and he showed me a Huwai with an awful 6' screen.
    He cried when he saw a F1-2016 on my Priv.........

I loved his "you have a interesting phone" when i leaved him
    10-29-17 08:01 AM
    Man, the reactions I used to get when I carried my red passport as my daily was priceless
    10-29-17 08:04 AM
    People still react when they see the keyboard pop up. I've had a few people say they want one and I've had others say they would prefer to get one with the latest brains available..they also were shocked blackberry was still around. One thing I have heard was they like the idea of blackberry being security conscience unlike your standard run of the mill Samsung that everybody have..
    10-29-17 09:23 AM
    People still react when they see the keyboard pop up. I've had a few people say they want one and I've had others say they would prefer to get one with the latest brains available..they also were shocked blackberry was still around. One thing I have heard was they like the idea of blackberry being security conscience unlike your standard run of the mill Samsung that everybody have..
    Too bad all our anecdotal stories of interest haven't turned into real sales. On the other hand that may be too strong a statement. Maybe some of them have with the purchases of the KEYone.

I really wonder if people were actually aware of what BlackBerry offered would they switch?
    10-29-17 04:27 PM
    me a Huwai with an awful 6' screen.
    How did he fit a 6 foot screen in his pocket (I know eveyone gets ' and " backwards but I couldn't resist )

People are usually interested in the PRIV at first glance then they hold it and their hand gets burnt or they click on an app and start counting the seconds waiting for it to open then they hand it back and loose interest.
    10-30-17 10:16 AM
    With no offense:

The man i talked to was a Tech, a man who knows what a good phone is, a man who repairs phones all the time, a man who sells phones.
    He showed me an awfull 6p screen, colors, pixels, resolution, simply awful. It's a fact.
    I understand that you/he likes or loves his phone but in front of my Priv, he's out.

For the heat, I agree but only when i update my Priv or install Apps. I downgrade my resolution, reduce the CPU level and 2 or three "resolution things" in my android. I don't have red hands when i play at F1-2016.
    I you like, give me some apps i could test (but no FaceBook or Messenger).

My apps start as quick as my Nexus 2013 does. I don't understand you. I believe you but don't understand you.

The Apps installation are very longer than on my Nexus, you're right on that point. But I'm pretty sure that This Blackberry-phone tests, checks, verify things during the installation process.
    10-30-17 10:43 AM
    Yes. And the funny part is TCL is believed to have the highest sales numbers of any BlackBerry device in recent years with the KEYone. BlackBerry was horrible at implementing any marketing strategy simply because they didn't have the funding. John Chen made a masterful business decision to exit hardware and leave that up to TCL. Nonetheless, I'm glad BlackBerry branded devices are no longer a question, but rather a thriving certainty in the Android space.
    10-30-17 11:39 AM
    Yes. And the funny part is TCL is believed to have the highest sales numbers of any BlackBerry device in recent years with the KEYone. BlackBerry was horrible at implementing any marketing strategy simply because they didn't have the funding. John Chen made a masterful business decision to exit hardware and leave that up to TCL. Nonetheless, I'm glad BlackBerry branded devices are no longer a question, but rather a thriving certainty in the Android space.
    Agreed. All the talk about "but it's not a real BlackBerry!" is bogus. Look at the automotive world. Is a Ferrari really just a fancy Fiat, or was an Aston Martin just another Ford when they owned that company? Their V-12 was even sourced from Ford, it was essentially two Duratec V-6's spliced together and heavily massaged for supercar duty. Didn't make it less of a beautiful car. This is just a phone, the guts of them are all pretty similar overall in terms of how they're built, so if it has a blackberry logo in my opinion that's good enough for me to tell me it's a blackberry phone, regardless of who screwed it together, especially since TCL seems to make decent quality stuff.
    11-06-17 09:50 AM
    when people see Blackberry written in my phone they ask me if it is an old device when frequently has better specs than their phone...
    zruiyin likes this.
    11-06-17 12:39 PM