Hello to those willing to read and help (I realize I am privileged enough to even be worrying about something so trivial). I have been a BlackBerry 10 user since it came out and was with BlackBerry for 5 years before that. I use an ios device (iPhone 6 with ios 9) for work and we only have one android device in the house (Galaxy tab 4). I do not enjoy ios especially in a work environment. I truly find BlackBerry 10 to be a more productive and efficient experience. I truly enjoy the OS. However I have recognized the app gap as well and even with awesome contributors like Cobalt and other forum members, the performance just isn't the same nor does our runtime allow us to do everything. Here are some questions for those that have used multiple platforms:
    1) What are the top three reasons you prefer android over ios?
    2) Do you think BlackBerry can influence Google to bake in security, efficiency and perhaps gestures?
    3) what are the top three problems with android?
    4) can most of the complaints that have popped up (including slow shudder speed) be fixed with software updates over time?

Thanks in advance for your honest constructive feedback!

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 09:31 AM
    Here are some questions for those that have used multiple platforms:
    2) Do you think BlackBerry can influence Google to bake in security, efficiency and perhaps gestures?
    4) can most of the complaints that have popped up (including slow shudder speed) be fixed with software updates over time?

Posted via CB10
    1. I'd say the file manager (you can download one for the Priv), customisation, and choice (fragmented as it is).
    2. It is up to BlackBerry how they want to bake that in, Android supports gestures ..
    3. Fragmentation, too busy, can be overwhelming for users of BB10
    4. I'd hope yes.
    12-06-15 10:02 AM
    You have to be patient with the priv
    Over time the os will become more like bb10

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-06-15 10:29 AM
    Hello to those willing to read and help (I realize I am privileged enough to even be worrying about something so trivial). I have been a BlackBerry 10 user since it came out and was with BlackBerry for 5 years before that. I use an ios device (iPhone 6 with ios 9) for work and we only have one android device in the house (Galaxy tab 4). I do not enjoy ios especially in a work environment. I truly find BlackBerry 10 to be a more productive and efficient experience. I truly enjoy the OS. However I have recognized the app gap as well and even with awesome contributors like Cobalt and other forum members, the performance just isn't the same nor does our runtime allow us to do everything. Here are some questions for those that have used multiple platforms:

Posted via CB10
    1) Apple is too controlling for my taste.

2) Android has efficiency if you use it that way. You can bog it down or pare it to your base needs. There are gestures. Use a launcher like Nova.

3) Battery life. Dodgy apps you need to be careful of installing. Kind of a Play Store issue that comes from it's openess. If you're careful there are no worries though. Read up.

I'd say don't wait around for BlackBerry to make Android into a BlackBerry 10 clone because it ain't happening. Take advantage of Androids flexibility and make it the way you want it.

12-06-15 10:36 AM
    IOS has terrible screen resolution compared to top end android devices. I personally use both but the physical keyword on the Priv is the main reason I made the purchase.
    12-06-15 10:40 AM

3) Battery life. Dodgy apps you need to be careful of installing. Kind of a Play Store issue that comes from it's openess. If you're careful there are no worries though. Read up.

I'd say don't wait around for BlackBerry to make Android into a BlackBerry 10 clone because it ain't happening. Take advantage of Androids flexibility and make it the way you want it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nOff.pro&hl=en I can say I love this app. It switches off data at set intervals and truly prolongs the battery life ... so many of these apps around but this is one that I truly like and works. Few settings to go through tho.
    southlander and lordloveaduck like this.
    12-06-15 10:44 AM
    1) What are the top three reasons you prefer android over ios? Agnostic os, and interoperable on multiple devices like tablets computers and mobile phones.

2) Do you think BlackBerry can influence Google to bake in security, efficiency and perhaps gestures? Google has limited the api access but eventually will as this is the direction it's going.

Constant redundant notification causing battery drain, Google ecosystem requires heavy data usage, and lacks outlook sync.

Yes as we progress to marshmallow there will be major improvements but BlackBerry is also committed to upgrading as well.

вιaсĸвεггч ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    12-06-15 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    1. You want truth? iOS is significantly better than Android in almost every way. The UX, the quality of the ecosystem, and even continuum (Blend like vision) in the Apple world. It's also closer to BlackBerry's values. Plus, significant members of the BB10 team are building iOS today, so going all in on iOS is a more natural move for BlackBerry users. Also, there's an argument to be made that iOS is more secure and enterprise-friendly than Android at this point.

2. Google wants to go there anyway. Marshmallow makes significant improvements in security. In terms of gestures, the rumors that iOS will loose it's home button for the iPhone 7 and go with a gesture nav are more likely to move Google than BlackBerry's input.

3. "Flexibiity" as a solution is the biggest problem with Android. That's a euphemism for "hacked together." People will say sure the workflow feels a little awkward out of the box but, "download this launcher and this app and use this" and they all have different design values. Occasionally, one app in your workflow will stop working because of a bad update or because the developer has gone belly-up or you upgrade to the next Android OS version and not all of these apps support it, yet. Then, you'll need to find a replacement. That's cool for geeks who love this system building activity. Android has a great culture of tremendous waste in terms of time with fiddling -- check out XDA forums and people who apparently spend most of their time worrying about things like rooting and upgrading to a special, blended, hacked Cyanogenmod release or something. I don't need that in a phone.

Other problems include battery life (partially addressed in Marshmallow), incredibly unintuitive settings panel, and lack of vision. By lack of vision, I mean, aside from Google's talk about ChromeOS and Android merging, it's hard to see where Android is going in terms of the future of mobile computing. It's easy, however, to see where Windows Mobile 10 and iOS are going. BB10 was built on a desktop OS, so that it could be a nextgen player, but it's pretty clear that big ambitions are not a Chen-thing and I suspect BB10 is dead as a real mobile platform. (But, I hope I'm wrong.)

4. If you want an Android phone, almost all the complaints about the Priv from Android fans have been fixed with the Nexus 6p. The 6p camera is simply phenomenal. Lower megapixel rating, but much better sensor and autofocus. There's no way BlackBerry can fix the front-facing camera issue with software. Also, cameras and performance are about to get a lot better with the generation of devices set to come out in about two or three months based on the 820. I think if BlackBerry had coupled the Priv with something like the camera on the Lumia 950XL or Sony Xperia Z5, I might have purchased one. I have a little one running around and I need fast focus and a sensor sensitive enough to handle fast shutter speeds. The Priv's camera isn't bad, at all, but it doesn't seem like a flagship camera and it's weakness -- sensor doesn't allow fast enough shutter speed -- is partially hardware. Autofocus could be improved with a software upgrade. But, really, if you want fast autofocus and a great camera, you should also look at an iPhone 6s. Their cameras don't have as high a megapixel rating, but they are better in a lot of ways that count.

Let me add that if you are tempted to "support" BlackBerry by buying a Priv, I'd caution you to think about why. I love the BlackBerry platform, but the Priv isn't a BlackBerry platform phone. Instead, if I bought a Priv, I'd be merely supporting Chen's BlackBerry, a company I kind of hate as it's a rejection of most of what I loved about BlackBerry. I'd also be providing further marketplace votes for BlackBerry's transition from platform to mere Android device builder. Not sure that is good for anyone. If you want to go Android, go Nexus 6p. If you want to go iOS, wait for the iPhone 7, which'll probably come out in August this year. If you want a spectacularly good camera -- don't worry if you snap shots before autofocus has locked, they will still be sharp and amazing -- check out the Lumia 950XL, which is my favorite handset right now.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 11:59 AM
    There's really only one reason why someone would choose Android over iOS, and that's customization. You can customize Android more. Beyond that, there really isn't much of a reason to choose it over iOS in my opinion. If you want to have complete control over your OS and want to choose which app you use for every single thing (like photo gallery for example) then Android is the way to go. Its just more customizable. Other than that, its user preference really, and price.
    12-06-15 12:43 PM
    Having been a long time IOS admin...the updates were terrible. Several would brick the phone. You have very little control of your device unless you jail broke it...but even then, the next update would throw that out the window. I'm finding the move to android to be a breath of fresh air. Much, much more control over my device.
    12-06-15 01:28 PM
    Having been a long time IOS admin...the updates were terrible. Several would brick the phone. You have very little control of your device unless you jail broke it...but even then, the next update would throw that out the window. I'm finding the move to android to be a breath of fresh air. Much, much more control over my device.
    Updates terrible? It's the least fragmented platform there is. Updates over mdm is responsibility of the Admin no?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my 920i
    12-06-15 01:32 PM
    1. You want truth? iOS is significantly better than Android in almost every way. The UX, the quality of the ecosystem, and even continuum (Blend like vision) in the Apple world. It's also closer to BlackBerry's values. Plus, significant members of the BB10 team are building iOS today, so going all in on iOS is a more natural move for BlackBerry users. Also, there's an argument to be made that iOS is more secure and enterprise-friendly than Android at this point.

2. Google wants to go there anyway. Marshmallow makes significant improvements in security. In terms of gestures, the rumors that iOS will loose it's home button for the iPhone 7 and go with a gesture nav are more likely to move Google than BlackBerry's input.

3. "Flexibiity" as a solution is the biggest problem with Android. That's a euphemism for "hacked together." People will say sure the workflow feels a little awkward out of the box but, "download this launcher and this app and use this" and they all have different design values. Occasionally, one app in your workflow will stop working because of a bad update or because the developer has gone belly-up or you upgrade to the next Android OS version and not all of these apps support it, yet. Then, you'll need to find a replacement. That's cool for geeks who love this system building activity. Android has a great culture of tremendous waste in terms of time with fiddling -- check out XDA forums and people who apparently spend most of their time worrying about things like rooting and upgrading to a special, blended, hacked Cyanogenmod release or something. I don't need that in a phone.

Other problems include battery life (partially addressed in Marshmallow), incredibly unintuitive settings panel, and lack of vision. By lack of vision, I mean, aside from Google's talk about ChromeOS and Android merging, it's hard to see where Android is going in terms of the future of mobile computing. It's easy, however, to see where Windows Mobile 10 and iOS are going. BB10 was built on a desktop OS, so that it could be a nextgen player, but it's pretty clear that big ambitions are not a Chen-thing and I suspect BB10 is dead as a real mobile platform. (But, I hope I'm wrong.)

4. If you want an Android phone, almost all the complaints about the Priv from Android fans have been fixed with the Nexus 6p. The 6p camera is simply phenomenal. Lower megapixel rating, but much better sensor and autofocus. There's no way BlackBerry can fix the front-facing camera issue with software. Also, cameras and performance are about to get a lot better with the generation of devices set to come out in about two or three months based on the 820. I think if BlackBerry had coupled the Priv with something like the camera on the Lumia 950XL or Sony Xperia Z5, I might have purchased one. I have a little one running around and I need fast focus and a sensor sensitive enough to handle fast shutter speeds. The Priv's camera isn't bad, at all, but it doesn't seem like a flagship camera and it's weakness -- sensor doesn't allow fast enough shutter speed -- is partially hardware. Autofocus could be improved with a software upgrade. But, really, if you want fast autofocus and a great camera, you should also look at an iPhone 6s. Their cameras don't have as high a megapixel rating, but they are better in a lot of ways that count.

Let me add that if you are tempted to "support" BlackBerry by buying a Priv, I'd caution you to think about why. I love the BlackBerry platform, but the Priv isn't a BlackBerry platform phone. Instead, if I bought a Priv, I'd be merely supporting Chen's BlackBerry, a company I kind of hate as it's a rejection of most of what I loved about BlackBerry. I'd also be providing further marketplace votes for BlackBerry's transition from platform to mere Android device builder. Not sure that is good for anyone. If you want to go Android, go Nexus 6p. If you want to go iOS, wait for the iPhone 7, which'll probably come out in August this year. If you want a spectacularly good camera -- don't worry if you snap shots before autofocus has locked, they will still be sharp and amazing -- check out the Lumia 950XL, which is my favorite handset right now.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. To each his own. Your truth is far from the truth.

I would tear my hair out going to iOS. Sometimes making something fool proof is just too dumb. Lowest common knowledge denominator. I hate the home button, I have no idea how to switch apps. Everything is done for me. You will lose all controlled. I would say bb10 and Bros is a out customization. BlackBerry gives you options you work how you like. IOS is do it apple way or the highway. So I would say bb10 is more akin to Android.
    12-06-15 01:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I would say IOS and BBOS7 and earlier were similar with ecosystem lockdowns especially via Appstores. Once BB10 was introduced, the ecosystem began to resemble Android more especially with app stores like Amazon plus all the ports mixed in with Native apps in the BlackBerry App Store. Just to keep my Blackberries semi functional, I've had to using 1mobile. I'd say the Priv has been a substantial improvement over my BB10 devices although I love the BB10 OS. Unfortunately, the BB10 OS has lost efficiency and productivity over the last few months. Finding go around solutions for my BB10 devices made them more toys instead of tools last 6 months. BlackBerry Android Priv has been a decent hybrid compared to basic Android. I also find it much better than BB10 was at it's launch.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 02:13 PM
    IOS 9 bricked a lot of phones (if users didn't update to the latest ios 8 release...and users never back up their phones). It all depends on what MDM solution your company puts in place. Where I was when IOS dropped, we even had a MAC update server in place to help speed up updates. Over 40% of the devices bricked. IOS MDM solutions don't give you the option of forcing updates even with their software.
    12-06-15 02:15 PM
    1) iOS is by far the better system unless, you are planning on spending countless hours fiddling with the system. I use all 3 (BB10, iOS and android) and bb10 is by far the better machine for work. iOS is much better than android in almost every way except customization which is where most of your time will go when using it.

2) No.

3) Lack of coherence, quality control, battery life.
    The os is all over the place. Recent apps show not only, for example, a messenger window but one for each individual conversations. Same for email and others. This makes the recent app screen almost unusable as you end up with endless open windows to scroll through.

The quality of the App Store is awful. Seems anything can be accepted in the play store regardless of if it adds value or not. Some apps will work with a launcher while others can't. All the launchers only made it feel like android just can't come up with a good system so they throw everything at the wall to see what will stick.

The lack of quality control leads to battery drain. I suggest you download the apps you need and forget about the play store right away else you will have issues.

4) Unless you are coming from one of the 3 or 4 phones with a better camera, low shutter speed is one of the typical bb haters complaint and without merit. I found the camera to be very good and takes great pictures. If the speed is in fact slower, we are talking milliseconds so I honestly would not worry about it. Overheating has already been resolved in the last update. The hub is almost unusable if you are coming from bb but software updates will hopefully fix that. All other complaints for me are android related so I wouldn't hold my breath. It took android over 5 years to get to this points so I can't see any substantial change for another 5. Look at what bb was able to do with bb10 in just 2. But to answer, yes it can all be fixed with updates as long as the will is there.

For me, I really wanted to love the Priv but have switched back to the passport as my primary device. The idea of owning a slider really appealed to me and I must say blackberry has delivered an exceptional phone but it is limited by the android os which is much worse than I thought. The screen is amazing and the pkb is great, once you get used to it. The touch capability works even better than on the passport, more precise and responsive. The sliding mechanism and everything else on the hardware side is top notch but by god the os is awful. I still use the Priv as my secondary device but it is not a work machine. I would certainly reconsider if a bb10 version came out but for not, it is merely a toy.

This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to disagree.
    12-27-15 05:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    1. None. Zero. Zilch. While I can certainly come up with three reasons for why someone else may prefer Android over iOS (or iOS over Android for that matter) for me there is not one specific reason for why I would choose Android over iOS.

My only interests in the Priv, and potentially with the Vienna, are that these are BlackBerry devices with BlackBerry's own signature touch. It has nothing to do with Android, the ecosystem, none of that. If the Priv were "Windows on BlackBerry" or "iOS on BlackBerry" or even Tizen or FirefoxOS on BlackBerry--and yes, if even BB10--my interest levels would remain the same.

2. No. Historically, Google placed the onus and the blame onto individual vendors and while Google is finally taking some steps to get serious with security this is something that in no way will be influenced from BlackBerry. If anything, the influence is coming from competition and criticism from Apple and Tim Cook. Efficiency? This is an odd question because the official Google response here is that Android can be made as efficient as the end-user wants it to be. Once again, placing the onus onto someone else. Gestures? Nope. The "home" and "back" buttons are held in such high regard by Android diehards in exactly the same way that BB10ers feel about "flow" and the gestures. Keep in mind that one reason cited for a lack of adoption to BB10 was that new users found all the swiping and gestures to be confusing. As we know, once gotten used to the gestures become not only second nature but also one of those "what took them so long to invent this!?" things. Besides, removing buttons from Android would require a complete retooling of apps and devs that decide against this will find their apps work about as well as some Android apps do on BB10 (that is, difficult to "go back" in the app).

In the past Google actively encouraged rooting. Now, after the final realization that some people are rooting to remove all abilities by Google to track and collect data, the final nail has been placed. Locking down the boot loader has nothing to do with security but has everything to do with Google the continued allowance of collecting your data and targeting ads. Remember; Google rose from a start-up to become a multinational multibillion dollar company by giving away nearly all of their products for free. They rely on your info in order for them to make their money. Besides, Google has struggled with monetizing Android and has fallen way behind Samsung in that regard. Even Microsoft makes more money from Android than does Google. It's not Google vs. Apple, it's Google vs. Samsung vs. LG vs. HTC vs. Xioami vs. Apple; and Apple despite having only ~13% of total global market earns more from mobile revenue than Google + all Android vendors combined.

3. Increasing reliance on Play and GServices. Even if you do not use Play or GServices, Google still attempts to steer you there every chance they get. At least with the iPhone there is no illusion of "freedom"; you know you are "stuck" with App Store and iTunes.

b. It's practically 2016 and even though Google creates a curated Play Store for you based on your device there are still the occasional apps you may download that for whatever reason will not work on your handset, and for no logical reason either.

c. Google. If you are one of those dopes who thinks that Google products, including Android, are free then I dunno, wanna buy a bridge? We pay for those apps, OSs, and services with our data; they are subsidized through Google selling us targeted ads. For many this is a non-issue but for me it is a big deal. I would rather pay in cash instead of data.

4. Yes, of course.
    12-28-15 12:25 PM
    I have an in production Z10, two Classics that are recently retired, a Passport, and a Priv. I keep wanting to port everything over to the Priv, but need to maintain separate lines. I came from iphone 4s. I oversee dev on both non-Blackberry platforms. From my experience:

BB10 - great for messaging messaging messaging. My Passport is my messaging phone. Constantly flipping between email, text, and browser.
    iPhone - great for a uniform experience and a completely locked ecosystem. Has pluses and minuses. Must join cult of Apple.
    Priv - great all around platform. Sparkles with features, colors are more vibrant, apps are more sexy. You have choices, and if you want to create a screen that's all about one contact on your list, you could do that with a combo of widgets and shortcuts. But you can't customize like that on the other two.

Here's a trivia question: In what year did Apple recognize that people might want to Upload images from their gallery to a website? And, now class, especially very longwinded members, for Bonus points, what was the workaround?
    12-28-15 01:35 PM