I keep seeing posts regarding hope for the Priv's success because then BlackBerry will have the money to continue developing BB10. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds. Money has never been a problem for BlackBerry. The last few years they've had little to no debt and sat on 2-3 billion in cash. Money for development was never an issue and will not save it down the road. I'm fairly confident that if the Priv is successful, Chen would be fired instantly for taking the profit and allocating it to their older products deemed failures. He's a smart guy, so we know he wouldn't do that. Spending money to create android OS's to run on legacy devices also won't happen because the whole reason they are moving to android is to boost new phone sales. The way I see it, the company is now all-in on android and best case scenario is we see a few necessary security updates and maybe an android run-time update for the legacy devices over the next year, but little to no new features as development resources will have to be spent making android more BlackBerry-like. #endrant
    Last edited by Lawmen23; 10-04-15 at 02:22 AM.
    10-02-15 03:59 PM
    I keep seeing posts regarding hope for the Priv's success because then BlackBerry will have the money to continue developing BB10. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds. Money has never been a problem for BlackBerry. The last few years they've had little to no debt and sat on 2-3 billion in cash. Money for development was never an issue and will not save it down the road. I'm fairly confident that if the Priv is successful, Chen would be fired instantly for taking the profit and allocating it to their older products deemed failures. He's a smart guy, so we know he wouldn't do that. Spending money to credit android OS's to run on legacy devices also won't happen because the whole reason they are moving to android is to boost new phone sales. The way I see it, the company is now all-in on android and best case scenario is we see a few necessary security updates and maybe an android run-time update for the legacy devices over the next year, but little to no new features as development resources will have to be spent making android more BlackBerry-like. #endrant
    Android isn't meant to save B10...it is meant to save Blackberry. Fairly sure Chen said if android is successful they would move to it. It may be more likely to get android run time removed than updated, but time will tell. Fairly sure BB10 development has ended...it is android or nothing. Also 2-3 billion isn't that much money when you look at who they are competing against.
    10-02-15 04:28 PM
    They were sitting on cash, but that cash was bleeding non-stop. BB10 came almost 3 years ago, and Blackberry just kept bleeding marketshare. BB10 as the only Blackberry OS failed. Some say it's the OS that sucks, some say that the marketing sucks, some say that it simply just came "too little too late", the truth is this way, blackberry would be burning itself until reach zero money and zero marketshare.

That's why they are trying Android now, because I'm sure blackberry wouldn't want to do so many layoffs, shrink the company, and abandon a piece of software that they invested so much into.

The sole purpose of Blackberry (or pretty much any company) is to grow, not shrink like BB has been doing for years, so this might be the last "hurrah"
    10-02-15 04:53 PM
    Incoming Loyalists...
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    10-02-15 05:39 PM
    Android is being used to help save hardware not BlackBerry. Personally I think hardware will eventually be sold as it's lower margin but who knows. Unique high end product like Passport and Priv could generate higher margins and keep it all part of the mother ship.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    chalx likes this.
    10-02-15 06:49 PM
    With a name like Priv it will not only not save BB10 it will not save BlackBerry.

When every article I read about this phone has to apologize for the name before they begin, I wonder why the hell a company could be so stupid unless it's their intention to fail.

This is the worst CEO making the worst decisions in history. I'm sure there must be a few good people who are still employed there but they are scared of the reign of terror there.

A true BlackBerry loyalist would be pressuring the company to change this name right now.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-02-15 07:16 PM
    Fully agree, BB OS has to be promoted as unique OS and that will success path for BlackBerry. If android going to be main OS, then it would be one of hundreds OEM.

Z30 10.3.2.2639 thru CB10
    10-02-15 07:18 PM
    I really hope BB10 dies for the consumer space..

I'm tired of carrying an android and a BB10 device just to get me by for the week. One for emails/productivity and the other for gaming, youtube, and just general downtime.

I welcome android on the Priv. Huge win. (I'll still probably carry my Note 4 as I have a 10,000mAh battery that lasts me 5 days of moderate usage)... but Android with a KB is awesome!
    MobileMadness002 and chalx like this.
    10-02-15 07:23 PM
    I look at it in a different perspective, If the company continues down the road with OS10 which has declined in sales every quarter, the handset division will go the way of the dodo bird.

As least with an Android based device, they would have a chance on bringing some of the older user base back to the brand. Pricing will be key, but if they price it right, we just might have a winner and I would rather have a successful Android based handset then the thought of having nothing at all!

As far as Mr Chen's decisions being made to get the company back on track, I think he has done a pretty good job considering what he started with, it's easy to demand a lot from the CEO, but if you where in his place and had to make those tough calls, could you???
    10-02-15 07:23 PM
    Android was never meant to save BB10. Those poor souls who think so are hoping against hope that the money they spent on their legacy devices was not in vain.

I don't understand why some folk on here think BlackBerry is obligated to keep their legacy devices going forever and ever.

You bought your device, get your money's worth out of it or sell it off to someone else and get the Priv. BlackBerry has its own a** to save, it can't worry about people's old devices any longer.

The fact that this needs constant repeating is getting a little weird now.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    10-02-15 07:30 PM
    I really hope BB10 dies for the consumer space..

I'm tired of carrying an android and a BB10 device just to get me by for the week. One for emails/productivity and the other for gaming, youtube, and just general downtime.

I welcome android on the Priv. Huge win. (I'll still probably carry my Note 4 as I have a 10,000mAh battery that lasts me 5 days of moderate usage)... but Android with a KB is awesome!
    You can still play games and watch youtube on BB10 though...

In fact you can do both at the same time without having youtube refresh the moment you escape the app.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-02-15 07:34 PM

In fact you can do both at the same time without having youtube refresh the moment you escape the app.

Posted via CB10
    Average Joe ain't interested with tedious workarounds. Should work right out of the box.

Posted via C5303
    10-02-15 07:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    most games don't run properly in BB10, or if they run okay its in a 1:1 aspect ratio(unless you have a leap or z10 which i havent seen a single one out there in the real world)
    10-02-15 07:47 PM
    If they can replicate bb10 features for Android I have no problem with it.

The multitasking and the way to keep organized and productive. If they can do that with customization. More power to them.

But I did like bb10 also. It's sad it couldn't keep up they weren't making a profit on it. You don't keep developing a product you don't make money on.

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    10-02-15 07:51 PM
    I look at it in a different perspective, If the company continues down the road with OS10 which has declined in sales every quarter, the handset division will go the way of the dodo bird.

As least with an Android based device, they would have a chance on bringing some of the older user base back to the brand. Pricing will be key, but if they price it right, we just might have a winner and I would rather have a successful Android based handset then the thought of having nothing at all!

As far as Mr Chen's decisions being made to get the company back on track, I think he has done a pretty good job considering what he started with, it's easy to demand a lot from the CEO, but if you where in his place and had to make those tough calls, could you???
    But will that increased user base = profits? What does RIM (lol) expect as far as earnings and will that be enough to sustain the hardware department for continued Android OEM use? With Google services, there is no such thing as privacy, so in trying to push this to enterprises, will this be as deeply configurable with BES as true Blackberry software? Will they rename BES "AES?" lol.

But seriously, everyone is going to look at this differently. Just because it has a Blackberry casing, everyone might not see it as a Blackberry. Truth be told, I believe that Windows may benefit from this, but like all things, we will see..
    10-02-15 08:09 PM
    Too many fortune tellers here. Just shut up and wait for it to be released then comment.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 03:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 doesn't have a YouTube app.
    10-03-15 07:14 AM
    So if you all on this thread think BB10 is crap, why are you here? BB10 is a good OS, maybe it can't run all the latest & greatest games but it dosen't mean it's crap! Android can't run iOS games, does that mean it's crap? Come on as some say.... we paid our money and took the chance! Personally I like BB10, but that is My Opinion. So chill peeps no OS is perfect!!

Posted either with my Passport or Q5!
    FF22, Allanon89 and BerryRipe like this.
    10-03-15 07:57 AM
    Just enjoy your bb10 device. There are millions of bbos devices used by people who will never see another major update, but it does not stop them from enjoying their 9900's or Curves.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 09:34 AM
    Let's face it, BB10 is dead once the Priv is released. It might not be a bad thing if Blackberry can give us the features we love in BB10 but with the extensive App ecosystem of Android, but the days of Blackberry developing their own OS are clearly over at this point, especially with only 800,000 device sales last quarter (many of which were likely not even BB10 devices).
    10-03-15 09:48 AM
    Reality : BlackBerry sell android phone, there is no sign of major updates for BlackBerry 10 now.
    Sales of BlackBerry 10 device keep going down every quarter
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-03-15 09:51 AM
    When it's finally EOL'ed I will celebrate by burning my Z30 in a bonfire (after I remove the SD card of course).
    10-03-15 11:39 AM
    And you know which direction the stock market is going tomorrow

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-03-15 11:41 AM
    What apps are you all talking about that you can't live without? I have plenty on both phones that work well. Which ones are you so desperate to get that you can't live without them?

Posted either with my Passport or Q5!
    10-03-15 01:02 PM
    ...and without BB10, I don't care a whole lot whether BB as a company is successful. No BlackBerry fan is really "enthusiastic" about the success of BES outside the fact that BES success supports their overall business which ostensibly includes devices that ostensibly run some type of OS that users prefer over that of the alternatives.

The emotional connection to BlackBerry is the devices, and in my opinion, the OS on the devices, not just the hardware. The device and the OS together may combine to be greater than the sum of the parts, when it is done right.

I seriously doubt for BB10 fans that BlackBerry hardware running Android with "BlackBerry apps that are designed to follow Android Material Design paradigms" can be as compelling as BlackBerry hardware running BB10 where the BlackBerry apps are integrated with each other and the OS in a way not possible on "Google Android", and other apps on the platform are designed to the BB10 design paradigm.

BlackBerry is breaking the emotional connection between the combination of device and OS: they are effectively diluting that which made BlackBerry devices appealing in the first place, going back as far as possible.

The strategic mistake, in essense: to pursue customers that aren't interested in their products, rather than pursuing customers that ARE interested in their products. This is evident in the switch to Android: closing the "app gap" and pretty much tossing everything that made a BlackBerry device a "BlackBerry Device". Now, it's just the PKB and the apps they've already pledged to make available on other OS platforms, so... well, is that enough to sustain the hardware business? Arguably yes, but only because they're going to do all the OTHER stuff they should have done in support of BB10. Not because of the switch to Android in and of itself.

Android on BlackBerry hardware will appeal to those who like Android and want the unique BB features like the PKB and the build quality and other things BlackBerry puts at the forefront of their design decisions (although, let's face it, pretty much all other device designers have incorporated the best bits of BlackBerry's design philosophy outside those that are patented).

BlackBerry can call it "BlackBerry powered by Android", but I think it's going to be far more like "Android, powered by Google, with some BlackBerry proprietary Apps." Nothing that couldn't be on other Android devices, nothing that is going to make Android over into a BlackBerry 'experience'... in short, unremarkable, aside from the PKB... but unique in that there are no other 16 x 9 devices that even exist with this form factor, other than one that is 4 years old and uses Windows Phone 7.8 for the OS. I wonder if they released a Slider running BB10 if people who like 16 x 9 screens and the PKB would buy it and be just fine with BB10? No, BB management insists that the App Gap is the ONLY way to gain market share, so that's what they're doing. I wish them well. I'll be divesting myself of BB10 shares after the launch of the Slider no matter which way it goes.

BBOS fans were by and large pretty disappointed when we got our hands on BB10 and discovered how UNLIKE BBOS it was, and how many of the "moments of delight" from BBOS were simply missing on BB10. GET READY FOR "DISAPPOINTMENT II: CHEN'S FOLLY" if you buy the Android-powered Slider. I imagine a lot of posts on CrackBerry after the release of the Slider along the lines of "Really disappointed...", and "Not what I was expecting at all..." etc. etc. I'll give it a bit of a try myself, and I may have to eat my words... but if history is any guide, I'll go hungry.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-03-15 at 01:28 PM.
    dusanvn, FF22 and Lawmen23 like this.
    10-03-15 01:15 PM
72 123